Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Châtellerault Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Châtellerault Mauser
      #336782 - 20/01/20 05:21 PM

I'm far from knowledgeable about Mausers. I've tried gurgling Châtellerault Mauser with exactly zero results. Someone's offering one for sale, minus a few trivial parts (like the bolt). It's barreled in 7.62 NATO, and he lists the manufacturer as Châtellerault. Anyone shed any light on this for me? My first thought is that it's some iteration of the Kar98, rebarrelled postwar to 7.62 by Châtellerault (thank God for copy-and-paste!), but that's just a wild guess. I don't see an icon for adding a photo, or I could show a blurry pic of the stampings on the receiver ring. Any ideas on what this might be?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgrabow
.300 member

Reged: 22/12/08
Loc: Winter Wisconsin
Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: vykkagur]
      #336788 - 21/01/20 01:53 AM

Do a search for 'Manufacture d'armes de Châtellerault' and 'chatellerault rifle'. I didn't see any Mausers.

--------------------
Jim

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: jgrabow]
      #336790 - 21/01/20 02:53 AM

Me neither. Wish I was close enough to go look at it. He's not much of a communicator.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: vykkagur]
      #336791 - 21/01/20 03:09 AM

dont know any connection between mauser and chatellerault
a post war surplus mauser rebarrelled by this arsenal into 7,62 nato is the only possibility

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: lancaster]
      #336792 - 21/01/20 04:03 AM

There has been until the 1980's several government plants/arsenals in France, in charge of producing/repairing military weapons and ammunition. The major ones were the "Manufacture d'Armes de Saint Etienne" (acronym "MAS", as in rifles MAS 36, MAS 49, MAS 49/56, etc.), the "Manufacture d'Armes de Châtellerault" (acronym "MAC", as in the 9mm pistol MAC 50), the "Manufacture d'Armes de Tulle" (acronym "MAT", as in the 9mm submachine-gun MAT 49), and the Manufacture d'Armes de Biarritz (acronym "MAB"). All these arsenals were progressively closed one after another after the French government started outsourcing weapons/ammunition purchase and as the volume of the Forces progressively decreased (end of colonial wars from the early 60's; collapse of the Warsaw Pact from the early 1990's, change from draft to professional armed forces, etc.).

The Châtellerault Mauser is probably an ex German Mauser that was either refurbished or re-barelled at the "MAC" and stamped "Manufacture d'Armes de Châtellerault". The French Armed Forces used a lot of German weapons in the immediate post-WW2, until national production resumed in the early 50's, as well as they recruited a lot of experienced German ex-military people who joined the French Foreign Legion from 1945.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: Louis]
      #336793 - 21/01/20 04:50 AM

Great info, Louis, thank you. I think you and I and Lancaster are all pretty much of the same mind, that this is a surplus Mauser, rebarrelled post-war to 7.62 NATO. If the guy does finally start responding and I can negotiate a deal, I'm counting on it being a fairly common model, which will make parts simpler. The only thing I can really make out in the blurry pic of the front ring is the byf code, which I believe stands for a Kar98 Oberndorf, so I'm hopeful.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Châtellerault Mauser [Re: Louis]
      #336794 - 21/01/20 04:50 AM

Thanks Louis - that information is most welcome.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2396

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com