Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's
      #336085 - 03/01/20 06:59 AM

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I reckon it's about the closest, so here goes.

I have a number of Parker-Hale Supreme #1 rifles, in addition to a half dozen Lee Speed & B.S.A.Co. sporters of various flavours.

Anyways, most of these Supremes were / are drilled & tapped (presumably in Brum by P-H) for Parker-Hales BA24 or BB24 scope bases (ie. 2 holes in the front receiver ring fore & aft, and 2 much smaller holes in the receiver bridge, side by side).

Having come across a few BA24 & BB24 (the difference relates to the size of the Parker-Hale rings they take (ie. RALS4 or RBLS4) scope bases, albeit without their screws, I wonder if any of the kind souls on here can assist me in either telling me what size screws they are, or even better, selling me a few sets.

And before anyone jumps in telling me they are 6x48 just like Weavers, I can assure you they are not like the screws for the 2 piece scope bases made for the M98-based Parker-Hale rifles.

TIA

Happy New Year to all.

Regards,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #336087 - 03/01/20 07:11 AM

Being English most probably would be Withworth, but 'fine' thread?

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: 93x64mm]
      #336157 - 05/01/20 10:15 AM

More likely to be a BA thread which is the British equivalent to the small UNEF and UNES threads. What is the ID of the thread?

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #336491 - 12/01/20 03:47 AM

Well, we're making some progress thanks to some friends across the pond.

I've determined the rear screws are 6BA cheese-head screws, just less than a third of an inch (0.305") long (so 6ba 3/8" screws will work), while the front screws are 6x48 SM7 (large cheese-head) screws 1/4" long. (6x48 Cap screw 1/4" long will have to work)

Now to find some of each!

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #336497 - 12/01/20 07:38 AM

I've mounted many a one piece Parker Hale base to the various model SMLE 303 rifles and the screws are normally No 4BA for receiver and No 6BA for the rear bridge. I have the BA set of taps (Nos 1 to 6) and plenty of the screws.

The PH mounting system was poor although it was about all we could get for years before the Weaver system became available in NZ.

The cone shape recoil stud protruding from the base of one ring into a corresponding recess in the one piece base was a piece of poor engineering as the cone and recess taper worked to lift the ring under recoil so needed the ring to be kept very tightly clamped to the base. Problem was the long star headed through bolt doing the clamping was soft and easily snapped if torqued too tight. As soon as the Weaver system became available to me I ditched PH and never fitted another.

The one piece base, steel or alloy, for the SMLE held on okay with the fine threaded BA screws although like every base of any sort I have ever mounted I do epoxy glue the base and screws.

You should be able to locate some BA screws in Canada, if not get Prince Harry and Megan to exercise some usefulness and bring you out some from England!!!!!

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: eagle27]
      #336679 - 16/01/20 07:46 AM

RE: You should be able to locate some BA screws in Canada

Unlike Aus & NZ, we in Canada have never used BA screws. It was always Imperial (SAE NC, NF & NS) until the powers that be switched us over to the metric system when I was a kid.

Re: I've mounted many a one piece Parker Hale base to the various model SMLE 303 rifles and the screws are normally No 4BA for receiver and No 6BA for the rear bridge. I have the BA set of taps (Nos 1 to 6) and plenty of the screws. The PH mounting system was poor although it was about all we could get for years before the Weaver system became available in NZ. The cone shape recoil stud protruding from the base of one ring into a corresponding recess in the one piece base was a piece of poor engineering as the cone and recess taper worked to lift the ring under recoil so needed the ring to be kept very tightly clamped to the base. Problem was the long star headed through bolt doing the clamping was soft and easily snapped if torqued too tight. As soon as the Weaver system became available to me I ditched PH and never fitted another.

Thank you for the sizing information. I have a bag of 100 6BA screws coming. Guess I'll have to locate a hundred 4BA to go with them!

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#336680 - 16/01/20 07:54 AM

Forgot to add that, IMNSHO, utilizing rimfire rings to secure a rifle's scope, as Weaver did with their TO-1 system, has to be one of the stupidest things they ever did. I've asked why they don't redesign it to utilize normal Weaver / picatinny rings, but never received a response. I thought ATI's no-drill system was relatively good, but they discontinued that.

Weaver's side-mount system was good, as it really brought the scope's height down so you are able to obtain a good cheek weld, but try to find a set of 26mm or 30mm rings to fit one is like trying to find a set of hen's teeth.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#336686 - 16/01/20 09:51 AM

You could always have a set of rings made to suit your scope.

Matt.

--------------------

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #336687 - 16/01/20 10:51 AM

Matt:

Might you know of anyone who could / would manufacture a set of 26mm or 30mm rings to fit a Weaver side-mount base?

I've even thought about an EAW / Recknagel lateral slide on- slide off side-mount base, but am unsure which radius / contour that they currently make would come close.

Hope you're safe from the fires.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

#336688 - 16/01/20 11:00 AM

Eagle27:

Re: The PH mounting system was poor although it was about all we could get for years before the Weaver system became available in NZ. The cone shape recoil stud protruding from the base of one ring into a corresponding recess in the one piece base was a piece of poor engineering as the cone and recess taper worked to lift the ring under recoil so needed the ring to be kept very tightly clamped to the base.

I currently use CZ550 30mm QR rings for PH BA24 bases. I replace the connector screw with a thicker head one or use washers to bring the head proud of the ring bottoms to act as a recoil stop.

These ones (sorry if I'm not allowed to do this):

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/content/cz550-2-pc-quick-release-mount-30mm-rings

For BB24 bases, I use the ones for the CZ527.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#336689 - 16/01/20 11:51 AM

We can machine them here for you, all I need is the base and the height that you want. If you have a set of old rings that makes it even easier. If you don't have rings I need the diameter of the action where the base is attached.

Matt.

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #336696 - 16/01/20 04:23 PM

Quote:

Weaver's side-mount system was good, as it really brought the scope's height down so you are able to obtain a good cheek weld, but try to find a set of 26mm or 30mm rings to fit one is like trying to find a set of hen's teeth.

I had a set of the original style Weaver rings in 26mm in which I had a 26mm Kahles scope mounted. I see these available 2nd hand on occasion under the firearms section of our national auction site TradeMe. Problem with the original Weaver rings that have the band of steel for the top half of the ring is that they cannot be opened up from 1" to 26mm like many other rings can be. I think Weaver only produced the 26mm ring in 'low' which was probably the lowest ring (1" or 26mm") you could get of any brand, only about 2-3mm rise in height above the top of the base to the underside of the scope tube when sitting in the rings.

Docbill
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/15
Loc: Texas
Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: eagle27]
      #336698 - 17/01/20 01:03 AM

Burris makes a ring with a plastic insert that I have opened up to 26mm. Mayby not period correct but a workable solution.

--------------------
Bill Boyd

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Re: Parker-Hale BA24 scope base for#1 Mk. III's [Re: Docbill]
      #336707 - 17/01/20 06:42 AM

Matt:
Re: We can machine them here for you, all I need is the base and the height that you want. If you have a set of old rings that makes it even easier. If you don't have rings I need the diameter of the action where the base is attached.

Thank you for the kind offer, but see below, plus the fact that I do not have a base. That is the problem, plus the problem of trying to determine the diameter of the #1 MK III or Long Lee actions left side-wall, behind the front receiver ring, as there is no way I am able to see how to obtain a radius measurement.

Eagle27:
Re: I had a set of the original style Weaver rings in 26mm in which I had a 26mm Kahles scope mounted.

I'm not referring to the top mount rings; I have a number of sets of them & they are perfect for mounting a Kahles Helia Super 2S2 2.5x20 scope on a Mauser, but they do not work on a #1 Mk. III, except when using the now unotainable ATI no drill scope mount, which resulted in a very highly-mounted scope. I am referring to the Weaver side-mount system:

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/bases/side_mounts/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009209933/

Docbill:
Burris makes a ring with a plastic insert that I have opened up to 26mm. Maybe not period correct but a workable solution.

I guess their Rimfire Signature rings would work on a Weaver TO-1 mount, but as you said it is not period correct.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5309

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com