Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 375 h&h

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
375 h&h
      #336017 - 01/01/20 11:48 AM

been looking around fora 375 h&h new there's the model 70 and the cz. about the same price point used the century arms wintworth mauser rifles around the same money they seem to have a better wood and fit and finish but no one really says where there made and how good they are. any thoughts

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: 375 h&h [Re: ducmarc]
      #336163 - 05/01/20 02:07 PM

interams zastava mauser im pretty sure they are made in serbia ,,they are nice ,they have the lines of a british style express rifle ,tho I'm not sure if they were put together in britain ,,definetly better looking than the cz or m70 tho they all have controlled round feeding ,,lets put it this way ,,if i had to take a pic with a rifle over dead game it would be the whitworth ...paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 375 h&h [Re: pjaln]
      #336166 - 05/01/20 02:41 PM

Do a search on Whitworth's on NE and find some threads and posts.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 375 h&h [Re: pjaln]
      #336177 - 05/01/20 05:43 PM

Quote:

interams zastava mauser im pretty sure they are made in serbia ,,they are nice ,they have the lines of a british style express rifle ,tho I'm not sure if they were put together in britain ,,definetly better looking than the cz or m70 tho they all have controlled round feeding ,,lets put it this way ,,if i had to take a pic with a rifle over dead game it would be the whitworth ...paul

Be very wary of these. Later production Zastavas - shoot like stink - but the magnum actions appear to ge faulty. That is the top of the action is not trued, scope mount holes drilled off center, out of line with each other etc. This became apparent here in Aust several years ago, about 5 I think. If every thing about the action is good then grab one.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 375 h&h [Re: Rule303]
      #336180 - 05/01/20 05:54 PM

I have shot both the CZ and the new model 70W made by FN.. both shoot very well..they both get relatively good reviews.. stocks are butt ugly.. I still have one in .416.. been in my gun safe for over 10 years..never fired..perhaps before I go back to Africa one day I will get a scope put on and take her for a hunt..

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2011/3/17/winchester-model-70-safari-express/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 375 h&h [Re: Ripp]
      #336191 - 05/01/20 11:02 PM

I bought a brand new model 70 Winchester 2 years ago - my first one actually. It is very well made. Fit and finish are very good and it REALLY shoots!! I honestly didn’t expect the accuracy to be as good as it is. My only beef is that the length of pull is made for short people with no neck, similar to the Weatherby MK V. although all my hunting buddies claim I’m just too tall and gangly! Seriously though, I’m really impressed with the rifle. This one is a keeper.

Edited by Postman (05/01/20 11:08 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 375 h&h [Re: Postman]
      #336195 - 06/01/20 01:35 AM

Quote:

I bought a brand new model 70 Winchester 2 years ago - my first one actually. It is very well made. Fit and finish are very good and it REALLY shoots!! I honestly didn’t expect the accuracy to be as good as it is. My only beef is that the length of pull is made for short people with no neck, similar to the Weatherby MK V. although all my hunting buddies claim I’m just too tall and gangly! Seriously though, I’m really impressed with the rifle. This one is a keeper.

I have read a lot of posts stating the same thing.. that the new ones are pretty good in fit and finish with accuracy being good as well.. Good to know..might have to scope mine and check it out.. as I am one of those short guys with no neck..

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#336600 - 14/01/20 11:43 AM

whats a good barrel length for a 375 ?

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

ducmarc
.400 member

#336601 - 14/01/20 11:44 AM

i'm more a carbine guy than a long tube one

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#336611 - 15/01/20 01:29 AM

Quote:

Mine are 24"--have seen some shorter and some at 25--but believe most factory will be 24"

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #336615 - 15/01/20 04:21 AM

My .375's bl. is 27 7/8" with the brake, 26" without.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Re: 375 h&h [Re: DarylS]
      #336628 - 15/01/20 09:21 AM

My Kodiak has a 20” barrel and is absolutely marvellous in thick bush. Velocity runs ~2450 FPS with 300 grain Barnes TSX so no penalty there for the short barrel. By contrast my .375 Flanged Mag runs around 2410 FPS with 26” barrels. It is a double Heym but has the same OAL as the Sako Kodiak. I have another bolt gun on order with a 24” barrel but the jury is still out on how I’ll manage with the extra 4” of length. I like short(er) OAL rifles in the field

Edited by Postman (15/01/20 09:22 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 375 h&h [Re: Postman]
      #336629 - 15/01/20 09:31 AM

Quote:

My Kodiak has a 20” barrel and is absolutely marvellous in thick bush. Velocity runs ~2450 FPS with 300 grain Barnes TSX so no penalty there for the short barrel. By contrast my .375 Flanged Mag runs around 2410 FPS with 26” barrels. It is a double Heym but has the same OAL as the Sako Kodiak. I have another bolt gun on order with a 24” barrel but the jury is still out on how I’ll manage with the extra 4” of length. I like short(er) OAL rifles in the field

I agree with the shorter barrels, especially in the thick bush in Africa..

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#336635 - 15/01/20 12:15 PM

so 22 to 24" . ask this cuz shaw is giving me a pertty good deal on a barrel for one of my enfields how about 300 h&h ? i'm thinking more about 24 to 26" to give it the best chance at velocity.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#336636 - 15/01/20 12:20 PM

Quote:

so 22 to 24" . ask this cuz shaw is giving me a pertty good deal on a barrel for one of my enfields how about 300 h&h ? i'm thinking more about 24 to 26" to give it the best chance at velocity.

IMHO, you don't need a 26" on a 300H&H --24" is plenty to burn most of the powder.. 24" is enough for a 300 Win its certainly enough for a 30H&H ...AND for quick handling I personally like the shorter barrels as long as it fits the caliber.. I shoot a lot of various RUM's..they all have 26"..most of my mountain rifles have a 24 or less..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#336641 - 15/01/20 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I really dislike medium calibre 'magnum' or large capacity cases with short barrels. They used to b 25 to 26 inches as standard. Now often 24 inches for 'magnums' and 22 inches for standard cartridges.

If using a magnum capacity case, and aiming to maximise velocity by using a slower powder it needs barrel length to utilise the powder. Else you are just expelling unburned powder.

A lot of modern commercial factory rifles now come with 22 to 24 inch barrels. This is nothing to do with ballistic performance. It is for cost savings and marketing.

But my Whitworth Mauser 98 .375 H&H Magnum does have a short barrel. 23 inches from memory. Velocity does suffer, I get about 2300 fps with a 300 gr.

Accuracy is excellent with this rifle. The best groups ever were with 300 gr KS RWS at less than a calibre size centre to centre for a three shot group. Less than MOA is usual, and a half MOA etc is normal. Three shots.

I like the Whitworth's classic English styling.

I had a lot of trouble with mine as the barrel thread was cut at an angle on the barrel, but the stock was made to fit with the barrel at an angle. The express open sights are fine, as they are on the barrel. A scope was a big problem as the centre line of the action does not line up with the barrel. In the end I had custom QD bases made up which put the scope in line with the barrel. Also with a grove in them allowing the express sights to be used.

The action is also a standard length action so a bit of nuisance for a .375 H&H Mag length cartridge. It is inserted backwards into the magazine. he cartridge length must also be kept down to cope with the magazine.

Overall I like the rifle as it is now. It works. In a rush one must be familiar in reloading the magazine which is fine if you are used to it.

The above is all on the NE forums already in more detail. The reason I suggested doing a search.

BTW My Mauser M03 .404 Jeffery also has a shortish barrel. I would need to measure it. As a guess 22 inches? I didn't order it that way, it was an "African" barrel with banded muzzle, open wide V rear sight etc. The short length was just how it arrived. I think Mauser or Myalls had the attitude you get what we send to you or is on hand ....

I know Mauser now only seems to sell silly short length
barrels even for magnum cartridges. Only up to 24 inches unlike the old 650 mm magnum barrels. "Rationalising" the Mauser brand IMO is destroying it and cheapening it.

For the Mauser M03 in .404 I don't mind the short barrel. I won't be planning to use the rifle as a 'sniper' rifle. I will use it for plains game to normal plains game distances. I may try 265 gr projectiles and see how fast they can go and how far. BUT usually it will be 400 to 450 gr projectiles for buffalo, bovines etc maybe elephant.

A cool feature is the removable box magazine. IF I get a second one, I can easily and quickly reload another four rounds. Good for culling.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 375 h&h [Re: NitroX]
      #336642 - 15/01/20 02:22 PM

Generally I think if you want a big bore, want longer range performance, you need a longer barrel.

If you want a shorter barrel rifle for scrub performance where a long rifle is a nuisance, go for a shorter barrel in a LARGER calibre. Not a magnum with a short barrel. The slower heavier bullets will be more effective anyway.

A double rifle in .450 is far far better at close ranges in the thick stuff, than a .375 with short OR long tube. More handy, shorter overall, and far more effective.

Same as say a shorter barrel .458 Win Mag in a bolt action. Short barrels are fine, as the case does not require a longer barrel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Re: 375 h&h [Re: NitroX]
      #343359 - 18/07/20 02:18 PM

I have owned 10 .375H&H rifles.3 Browning Safari grades, a Sako AIV Safari, a Sako AIII Deluxe, a Winchester Express CRF, 3 CZ 550 Mag Americans, and a custom BRNO 602. Today I have only one, a 1960 Belgian Browning with a European walnut stock, claw extractor and all steel bottom metal.
The Whitworth is based on the Yugoslavian made commercial M98, same as the Mark X from Interarms.
Functional but crude though considerably better than today's Zastava. The post 64 controlled round Winchester mod.70 with MOA trigger, made in USA (Now made in Portugal) had excellent rear sight(ERA)
and was very slick. The action is designed to accept the .375 without removing metal that supports the lower locking lug also the lower lug is not slotted for the ejector. This makes the action stronger than the FN 98 for 3.6" cartridges. The CZ 550 is OK I guess since it is used by PHs all over Africa.
The thin magazine box and soft follower take a beating even after relatively few rounds.This is also true of the Sako. If you plan to feed rounds directly into the chamber to sight in a scope remove the follower from the magazine. When the follower has little pressure on it it will smack into the front of the thin stamped steel mag box and deform it. My CZ mag box bent so much that the cartridge tips would catch on the loading ramp.
My 2 cents is that the Winchester Mod 70 Express is the best out of the box for the money.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 375 h&h [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #343362 - 18/07/20 06:07 PM

Ahh the barrel length question. My 416 Rigby a CZ550 has a 25inch barrel and a 15" length of pull and is too long overall in thick tight scrub. Take a couple of inches off overall length and it would not be to bad.

For a 375 H&H I would not go below 22". I had a bloke on a bench next to me with a 375 H&H with an 18" barrel. It was horrendous. When he shot it showed a reading on my Chrony. Unburnt powder a lot of which was spewed onto my bench. I would think with the amount of unburnt powder on my bench after each shot even a 20" barrel will produce unburnt powder.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: 375 h&h [Re: Rule303]
      #343379 - 19/07/20 09:29 AM

Quote:

Ahh the barrel length question. My 416 Rigby a CZ550 has a 25inch barrel and a 15" length of pull and is too long overall in thick tight scrub. Take a couple of inches off overall length and it would not be to bad.

For a 375 H&H I would not go below 22". I had a bloke on a bench next to me with a 375 H&H with an 18" barrel. It was horrendous. When he shot it showed a reading on my Chrony. Unburnt powder a lot of which was spewed onto my bench. I would think with the amount of unburnt powder on my bench after each shot even a 20" barrel will produce unburnt powder.

I think more than a few of us have had a similar experience!
Yes short barrels may be fine in very dense scrub; but they are incredibly loud - like bloody muzzle brakes!
I like what left of my hearing, albeit not that much; so i prefer a longer barrel to keep the muzzle blast away!
The 375H&H type cartridge was designed for plains game & dangerous game - if required! Yes it does a great job in that role, but using it with less than a 22" barrel is just well frankly silly. just my 2c's worth!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7142

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com