Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: In Peace and in War

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
In Peace and in War
      #147195 - 04/12/09 11:41 PM

got scans from a military collector, a diary for the german Afrika Korps for the year 1942.

Its maybe interesting as a historical document here because it have also some pages about game and hunting in Africa beside other information a young man needs to to know if you are coming to Africa the first time in peace or in war.

Some points are very modern( or allways important)

nashorn-rhino: in east Africa in large numbers, in other parts of Africa dieing out now. In any case its to protect.
Nilpferd-hippo: good for making meat but to shoot with care. Deadly hiting it will going under and come back to surface after hours. Not to shoot useless on another one in this time.
Löwe und Leopard – lion and leopard: overall in big quatity where they find enough to eat. Only dangerous if they are hunted. The shoot must hit the bones in the front of the animal. Shooting at the heart of the animal is not appropriate.
Shooting lions from a stand, shooting lioness and cups is not sportsmanlike.
Bei aller Jagd-in all hunting situations: not only shoot and kill but behave properly and hunt like a sportsman. First rule – the first shoot counts. when the good hunter fire the game have to be hit deadly! The good hunter will always take care for all animals. Hunting and conservation are no opposite directions if you hunt like a real sportsman.
In any case never:
Chase the game with a car or shoot form inside of a car
Shoot game on a water hole
Tracking down the animal when shoot till you find it and never shoot another before you find the first.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: lancaster]
      #147530 - 10/12/09 06:26 AM

Very interesting. I doubt very many, if any, modern armies issue info to their soldiers abroad about local wildlife.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: EricD]
      #147565 - 10/12/09 12:42 PM

I know in VietNam we were only told about the venomous snakes and tigers.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #147642 - 11/12/09 02:10 PM

The information probably has its original sources with updates from the campaign of Lettow-Vorbeck in Tanganqika in WW1. Lettow-Vorbeck fought the British for several years and had to be supplied locally including living off the countryside. Making shoe leather from animal hides etc.

Selous was killed during this campaign fighting on the British side.

Also remember the NE thread on the issue in WW2 of drillings in 12 gauge and 9.3x74R to North African Luftwaffe crews as "emergency survival weapons". Same sort of theme of local wildlife and living off the land. Bit crazy perhaps the issue of drillings for this, but Hermann Goering was a hunter and also a bit crazy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: NitroX]
      #152775 - 04/02/10 03:49 AM

Remember, in early 1942 the tide of Facism hadn't reached it's high water mark. The Afrika Korps was still driving towards Cairo, the defeat at El Alamein hadn't happened yet and the worst that had happened was the loss of Italian East Africa the year before... someone in Berlin probably thought they'd be on safari out of Nairobi by 1945 or so.

lancaster
.470 member

#180300 - 29/04/11 05:32 PM

this is the end of a hunting trip for Dorcas gazelles in Hamada Al Hamra, Libya on September 9th 1941st.
as you can see this men have used the car to chase the game and shoot it from inside.
in their favor one can perhaps say there was not a 1941 yearbook and also so-called gentleman and sportsman in east africa in the thirties have shot a lot of game this way.
taken the Carcano rifle in 6.5 x52 with full metal round nose bullets was certainly a better choice than the 200 grains full metal spitzer bullet in the 8x57 on gazelles.
the use of the Volkswagen, was regrettable but they were certainly beginners how could do better in the future.
I just hope that this was not the role model for the North Africans after the war how killed the few but interesting game with Toyata pic ups and AK 47.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#180307 - 29/04/11 09:24 PM

Cool topic to see brought back up. Had forgotten about this one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

#180309 - 29/04/11 09:33 PM

the first european hunters in africa and india in the 18. and 19. century were most times soldiers.
this an important part of the history of hunting. chase and shoting with car's is a big NO-NO for every realy sportsman. some of them were also in the Afrikakorps like the author of this yearbock article.

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (29/04/11 09:38 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#182299 - 24/05/11 02:56 AM

here again, my find of the month

the today very rare Northwest African Cheetah in the days of WW 2 much more common.this hunter had bringing an original mauser sporting rifle with him to north africa it seems. I hope someone here will find out which model it is.
I must say germans are sometimes realy cracy.I was knowing that such thing happen, they do it when ever there was a possiblity.

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (24/05/11 02:58 AM)

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #182325 - 24/05/11 06:35 AM

Another cool photo, Lanc! Thanks!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: Ben]
      #182326 - 24/05/11 06:39 AM

great historical pics there,thanks

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: gryphon]
      #182329 - 24/05/11 08:02 AM

On enlarging the photo to study the Mauser rifle, I noticed these features: a short military front sight base, a long tangent sight, a rather small, rounded trigger guard set well forward, a round pistol grip, a stock cutout below the bolthandle and a "Schnabel"-foreend tip. IMHO it is a typical post WW1 sporterized Karabiner 98AZ. Commercial Mauser C-type (army-hunting) rifles usually featured a bigger triggerguard, a shorter tangent sight and no cutout under the bolthandle.

BTW, when I was a boy of about 10, my grandfather took me to a relative's hunting party to learn the job of a beater. There also was a very old gentleman, much respected and addressed as "Herr General" by everyone. Only later I learned this was v. Lettow-Vorbeck. My uncle was Hauptmann/Captain Erich Müller, who fought WW1 in east Africa to the end November 14, 1918 near Abercorn. I was told later Erich Müller, as an avid hunter and fine shot, also did some sniping in the African bush. For the rest of his life he deeply regretted he shot a British officer who later turned out to have been the famous hunter he had respected so much… But a war was going on at that time…

OOPS, for British parlance I should not write "hunting party", as no horses, red coats and hounds were involved. It was a typical German drive for hare (a larger relative to rabbits living in the open, no burrows), a social event also.

Edited by kuduae (24/05/11 08:12 AM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: In Peace and in War [Re: kuduae]
      #182339 - 24/05/11 09:51 AM

Kuduae-

Great tale!

To Lancaster thanks for putting it up. I must have missed it when you first posted it.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

lancaster
.470 member

#182363 - 24/05/11 01:27 PM

thank you Kudue for your assessment of the rifle.
you dont have know who he was but the general must have been a very impressive personality.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#182469 - 25/05/11 05:39 PM

Very interesting photos.

I remember reading another post about the hunting of a polar bear from a U-boot.

And the North African photos too, crazy hunters!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#182472 - 25/05/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

On enlarging the photo to study the Mauser rifle, I noticed these features: a short military front sight base, a long tangent sight, a rather small, rounded trigger guard set well forward, a round pistol grip, a stock cutout below the bolthandle and a "Schnabel"-foreend tip. IMHO it is a typical post WW1 sporterized Karabiner 98AZ. Commercial Mauser C-type (army-hunting) rifles usually featured a bigger triggerguard, a shorter tangent sight and no cutout under the bolthandle.

BTW, when I was a boy of about 10, my grandfather took me to a relative's hunting party to learn the job of a beater. There also was a very old gentleman, much respected and addressed as "Herr General" by everyone. Only later I learned this was v. Lettow-Vorbeck.

My Goodness. Personally meeting one of the Legends of Africa. Even if you were young and didn't know anything about it at the time.

Quote:

My uncle was Hauptmann/Captain Erich Müller, who fought WW1 in east Africa to the end November 14, 1918 near Abercorn. I was told later Erich Müller, as an avid hunter and fine shot, also did some sniping in the African bush. For the rest of his life he deeply regretted he shot a British officer who later turned out to have been the famous hunter he had respected so much… But a war was going on at that time…

True, there are literary accounts of the regrets expressed at the time. A time when sometimes war was still sometimes conducted by gentlemen, though soon to change.

Quote:

OOPS, for British parlance I should not write "hunting party", as no horses, red coats and hounds were involved. It was a typical German drive for hare (a larger relative to rabbits living in the open, no burrows), a social event also.

Only in England and the British Isles, my friend. In Australia, USA, Canada, South Africa, hunting is hunting ... I had many a trouble living in England and talking about hunting deer at home, or hunting ducks. Ha ha, riding after ducks, might get the old horse bogged. In England, if I remember rightly, one hunts on horseback, one shoots pheasant or grouse, and one stalks deer ...

Of course it is all part of enjoying different cultures.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #182482 - 25/05/11 08:00 PM

Hey, there's my Opa...

lancaster
.470 member

Re: In Peace and in War [Re: ozhunter]
      #226974 - 13/03/13 09:14 PM

soldiers of the Afrikakorps make a Dorcas Gazelle ready for the kitchen

--------------------

Even
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/12
Loc: Canada
      #226995 - 14/03/13 08:27 PM

Paul von lettow-Vorbeck was quite a fellow. I've encountered him a few times recently in various WW1 period literature, and there isn't a poor thing said about the man. Admired by both friend and foe for his ability, and his humanity.

Amazing the number of British troops his little Schutztruppe managed to tie up in East Africa.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #227227 - 19/03/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

as you can see this men have used the car to chase the game and shoot it from inside.

I see men riding in a car with rifles and animals tied to the hood, but I'm curious - How do we know they shot from the car?

They probably did, but am I not seeing something?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: In Peace and in War [Re: Cazadero]
      #227252 - 20/03/13 05:31 AM

yes, proably prejudgment by me and I dont like chasing animals with a car

and not forget that they maybe hunting for living because supply fore the DAK was never enough.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #227255 - 20/03/13 05:55 AM

A good friend of mine was a member of an 8-man team sent to recruit and train an Iraqi transport battalion about 5 or 6 years ago. They did not receive their M240 machine guns for month after their arrival, and had the machine shop rig theem up mounts for several brand new Russian PKM MG's that were found in a warehouse on the old Army base where they were stationed. He tells me of one of the best shots he's ever witnessed with a MG made by his commanding Colonel who while in the turret of the Humvie going 60 MPH tipped over a running jackal with a single short burst from the PKM at a couple hundred yards range.

This sort of thing is no doubt still a'happenin.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

lancaster
.470 member

Re: In Peace and in War [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #335292 - 10/12/19 07:55 AM

Quote:

I know in VietNam we were only told about the venomous snakes and tigers.

seeing the pic, remember this

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335299 - 10/12/19 11:54 AM

Quote:

the first european hunters in africa and india in the 18. and 19. century were most times soldiers.
this an important part of the history of hunting.

Indeed. Two Aussie soldiers after the Boer War, Newland and Tarlton, set up the first White Hunter (PH) client outfitting business in British East Africa after WW1.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13381

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com