Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The End of the Game -non-pub BBC buffalo hunt doc LIVE LINK

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The End of the Game -non-pub BBC buffalo hunt doc LIVE LINK
      #335280 - 09/12/19 08:09 PM

https://youtu.be/7JRqDYjv7qA

The End of the Game ; WHY STORIES (Documentary)
1,866 views•4 May 2020

THE WHY
97.3K subscribers
A committed vegan, David, follows 73-year-old colonial relic Guy Wallace to South Africa as he fulfills a lifelong ambition to bag a Cape buffalo. It’s Guy’s last chance to relive his glory days and finally lay down his guns. The oddball relationship between David and Guy is the central drive of the film as the director explores the ethics of big game hunting and questions his own animal rights stance when lured in by the thrill of the hunt. THE END OF THE GAME is a compelling character study of a bizarre eccentric undertaking his last big game hunt in Africa.

Filmmakers: David Graham Scott

Movie restored to public access.

Watch it while you can.

The End of the Game

https://youtu.be/y-JCpy3YCy0
VIDEO HAS BEEN MADE PRIVATE

Quote:

Interesting film about an old character on his last Buffalo hunt that was supposed to be shown on the BBC (but they got cold feet)

David G Scott

918 subscribers

The film is free but a donation is appreciated: https://www.paypal.me/theendofthegameDISABLELINK

Even £1 is better than nothing - I'm totally serious.
This is a poetic documentary about an old colonial character I met in the north Highlands of Scotland.
It's a portrait of an old man in decline rather than a straightforward polemic on veganism and hunting.
I accept some people will see me as a vegan turncoat but this is the way I make documentaries - I build up a relationship with the subject to see what makes them tick.
This film has been sitting in limbo thanks to the BBC saying they would broadcast the film and recently changing their mind. There are issues with the main character. Too hot to handle I guess.

What's the point of making documentaries if certain people are off limits? Isn't this what documentary is supposed to be all about?

I find Guy Wallace an intriguing character but that doesn't mean I agree with him. I even understand aspects of his lifestyle but again this does not mean that I validate these as ways I wish to live myself.

In 2005 I had an idea stolen from me by a BBC team working at White City in London. After making a film for them the year before it was a startling act of brazen audacity and a real slap in the face.

Various other actions over the years by production companies and similar bodies have led me to the decision to quit making documentaries. This is my last film.

The current climate with fake reality shows and staged documentaries says it all. I just don't fit in.

Anyway, I hope you like the film. It's not overwhelmingly pro-vegan or anti-hunting in its essential drive as I think that would have limited it.

It is what it is.

DGS x

Category
Film & Animation
Music in this video
Learn more
Listen ad-free with YouTube Premium
Song
Quartet for Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass
Artist
The Robinson Panoramic Quartet
Album
Matthew Whiteside: Dichroic Light
Licensed to YouTube by
CD Baby (on behalf of Matthew Whiteside), and 4 Music Rights Societies

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/06/20 12:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The End of the Game - non published BBC buffalo hunt movie [Re: NitroX]
      #335281 - 09/12/19 08:12 PM

24 Comments

Luca Negro
Luca Negro
6 days ago (edited)
I was looking forward for this movie and it exceeded my expectations if possible. Great work David Scott, both on the documentary and on bringing Sir Guy out to the world. I would love to see a Guy Wallace biographic documentary one day.

Chris Williams
Chris Williams
2 days ago
Aside from being a great film, I think many of us that do hunt can appreciate that as a vegan, that can’t have been easy to witness, film and edit. Regardless of what you think of hunting now, thank you for finding our for yourself what it’s all about. Shame the BBC didn’t take it on and hope you get some recognition for this.

diesel92kj1
diesel92kj1
3 days ago
I wish people had more of a understanding of where food comes from & especially that restricting an Animal from hunting like The Hunting Act does is cruel.
Any Dog should have the chance to display it's natural way to catch food or kill pests same as Falcons do.
No Dog psychologist in the world denies a Dog doesn't have a natural instincts to hunt to eat & surplus kill.
I wish the UK had bow hunting also.

Alan Corbett
Alan Corbett
1 week ago
This is a phenomenal documentary, poignant, sad and humorous by turn. Thank you for crafting a wonderful work Mr. Scott.

Colin Johnston
Colin Johnston
4 days ago (edited)
I spoke to Guy a couple of times about training GWPs and bought 2 of his books. I still refer to them when my beloved hooligans decide to riot.
Thanks to David for filming this and narrating what must have been difficult assignment but it is a worthwhile story.. I am pleased Chris got to mention, albeit briefly, the true nature of conservation and trophy hunting in Africa and elsewhere and the huge benefits it brings to local communities, wildlife and the local environments.

Thanks David and Guy for a unique film.

A real shame if this is the last documentary DGS makes as its quality comes from being non-judgemental, telling a tale without a preconceived finale. We rarely see documentaries like this these days due to the points David raises. Too hot to handle, too near the bone, no predetermined easy answers to difficult questions. The viewer left to make their own mind up.

David G Scott
David G Scott
35 minutes ago
Thanks and good points there, Colin.

roger wooldridge
roger wooldridge
6 days ago
Awesome, I knew Guy years back when he was at Libanus Brecon, top bloke! You need to get this out on dvd!

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
1 week ago
This is an amazing film. To hell with the BBC. I will not be watching or paying for any of their content again.

Jemma Moore
Jemma Moore
1 week ago
Can't wait to watch this, good on you for standing up to the BBC!!

retsdon
retsdon
2 days ago
What a cracking documentary. Wonderfully filmed, non-judgmental, just a straight forward record of someone from a generation of Britons whose like have nearly all now disappeared from the planet. It'a a piece of history.

sandspider2000
sandspider2000
4 days ago
An interesting watch, thank you. Unusually even handed (in my experience) for an anti hunting / vegan type on the subject of hunting. And a great use of Handel's Sarabande!

David G Scott
David G Scott
5 days ago
A donation is most welcome if you like the film....even £1

684 IH
684 IH
11 hours ago
A heart felt thanks for a 1:11:01 of magnificent film. I sent you a paypal contribution, only wish circumstances would have allowed it to be more than a tenner. Please continue with your craft.ATB john.

Jordan Luxford
Jordan Luxford
6 days ago
Have been waiting on this for a while now. thank you.

barnymartin
barnymartin
4 days ago
Well done an excellent documentary. Credit to the filmmaker for showing an ability to see both sides and to allow for freedom of choice, a credit to the vegan community.

G2G_4i
G2G_4i
3 days ago
Great film depicting a fair and well balanced view of a sliver of an interesting man's life. As a hunter, it saddens me to see the parallels between our way of life and Guy in this film. I am a fairly young man, and personally know of many hunters. But the numbers speak for themselves; hunting is in decline and has been for decades. Almost feels like society at large views us collectively as Guy is depicted here, a fading relic of the past.

g13flat
g13flat
1 week ago
A supreme example of real documentary making.

The Legend Master
The Legend Master
1 week ago
The End of the Game, but the beginning of the Glory. The BBC just lost themselves a customer.

Carl Senden
Carl Senden
5 days ago
I've been waiting for this for so long. Congrats😎👍👍

pricketfella one
pricketfella one
3 days ago
A proper film, loved it.

Brian
Brian
1 week ago
Great film. Mainstream broadcasting is not the educational information source it used to be.

Christopher Sherrington
Christopher Sherrington
4 days ago
Wow truly brilliant.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #335286 - 10/12/19 03:51 AM

Thanks for presenting this film, John.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The End of the Game - non published BBC buffalo hunt movie [Re: DarylS]
      #335421 - 14/12/19 01:43 AM

Watching this for the first time. And on the "big screen"! Youtube on TV.

I love this old guy,fixing up his cottage's roof is "two buffalo safaris".

"Here's to Blood" the toast for the first dram of the evening. Perfect!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335422 - 14/12/19 02:37 AM

"Inside a seventy three old bloke is a thirty three year old hooligan. And that is how I see myself."

I agree completely.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335423 - 14/12/19 03:27 AM

The Men That Don't Fit In
BY ROBERT W. SERVICE
There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are,
And they want the strange and new.
They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
What a deep mark I would make!"
So they chop and change, and each fresh move
Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs
With a brilliant, fitful pace,
It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
Who win in the lifelong race.
And each forgets that his youth has fled,
Forgets that his prime is past,
Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead,
In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance;
He has just done things by half.
Life's been a jolly good joke on him,
And now is the time to laugh.
Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost;
He was never meant to win;
He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone;
He's a man who won't fit in.

Source: The Spell of the Yukon, and Other Verses (1911)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - worth watching [Re: NitroX]
      #335499 - 15/12/19 07:46 PM

"The End of the Game"

https://youtu.be/y-JCpy3YCy0

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This movie/hunt/doco is really worth watching.

Don't let the fact it was made by a vegan, David Scott, put you off. While vegans are always annoying, it doesn't detract too much from the film, and gives a new comer/outsider perspective to the main character, Guy Wallace, an old Brit 'colonial' now 72, and his life and his plans to hunt cape buffalo at least one more time.

Wallace is a bushy sideburns grumpy old curmudgeon. Living a somewhat lonely sad life. Having served in the British Army and Military including the Gulf States, Malaya, perhaps India and Africa. Later Guy lived in Kenya and then Rhodesia.

Now living in Scotland on an estate in somewhat squalor of a messy caravan near a cottage Guy is supposed to fix up to live in. But I love it, as he says, "that roof is the same cost of two buffalo safaris".

He pays for his accommodation taking out guests shooting on the estate for the owner. And also stores his trophies in the "big house".

Wallace takes the idiot vegan out for a deer hunt.

Later the two, Wallace and Scott, go to Africa together to hunt Cape Buffalo. The hunt is in South Africa. Scott is filming the buffalo hunt as part of making this documentary and story. Wallace is living his dream and hunting cape buffalo perhaps for the last time. When asked if he was killed by the Big Five Dangerous animal, what he would think about it? Wallace replies that he would like it, far better than dying dribbling waiting in NHS endless queues.

At first I was worried it was going to be a horrible canned hunt. The first day of five, they find a first cape buffalo, which just happens to be a nice bossed mature bull ... way too easy. But they have to hunt harder to succeed.

Lions can be heard groaning in the night. Reportedly they bump into a leopard one day during the hunting.

The film of one hour eleven minutes was supposed to be shown on BBC TV, but supposedly BBC got cold feet about showing it and pulled the plug.

If the guy was not an activist vegan, I would send him a few dollars but not to a vegan ...

I watched the youtube video on my widescreen TV and what an improvement.

Give the film a watch. It would be an enjoyable Sunday nights viewing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (06/02/20 01:47 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - worth watching [Re: NitroX]
      #335544 - 16/12/19 08:17 PM

GFF 2017 – The End of the Game Review
Vegan v. Hunter: Dawn of understanding

By Steven Neish -Feb 21, 20171
Facebook168Twitter1FlipboardGoogle+1Reddit1
SHARES
Exiled on the grounds of a remote country estate near Caithness after an expansive career as a soldier and mercenary, in which he served in campaigns spanning Africa, India and the Middle East, colonial anachronism Guy Wallace has yet to put his killing days behind him. A keen hunter, he wiles away his twilight years stalking deer and rabbits around the Scottish Highlands between sporadic expeditions to Africa to take on (and successively take out) the so-called Big Five. In what is likely to be his last trip, Guy is shadowed by documentary filmmaker and fervent vegan David Graham Scott on the trail of the mighty and majestic Cape Buffalo.

Despite his strong views on the subject as an “extreme vegetarian”, which invariably sees him reject the slaughter of animals for sustenance let alone for sport, Scott’s film isn’t intended as a comprehensive or categorical condemnation of trophy hunting. Instead, it positions and presents itself as a character study; after a chance encounter during the production of a previous project Scott’s curiosity was piqued by Wallace, a singular rarity described by the director in a post-film Q&A at Glasgow Film Festival as “documentary gold-dust”, and after even a few minutes in his company its likely that audiences will be just as entranced by this cantankerous and incorrigible relic.

With his pipe, monocle and mutton chops, Guy Wallace looks like he’s just emerged from a decades-long stint in the jungle — presumably after escaping from Jumanji — and has yet to readjust to civilised society. He seems anachronistic to the point of caricature, with his outdated attitudes and antiquated behaviour; and in his apparently irreconcilable relationship with Scott The End of the Game occasionally veers into odd couple comedy, particularly once the pair relocate to Africa and their differences become even more apparent. Wallace should be a figure of scorn or hate – he even has a golliwog dangling from his car’s interior mirror – but Scott’s unwavering fascination and unlikely friendship with his subject somehow make his frequent profanities somehow easier to understand.

The End of the Game Guy Wallace

For as disrespectful as Wallace might at first appear, both with regard to the African people and the animals they share their continent with, it becomes increasingly clear that his worldview is as complex as it is contradictory: He is fluent in several African languages and familiar with their customs; he keeps various animals of his own and remains convinced that his way of hunting is ethical and constructive. He is remarkably consistent in his philosophy, both in accepting the risks of confronting nature on its own terms and admitting that he has considered ending his own life in the same manner should he begin to lose his faculties. It’s another cliché, but for Wallace it really does seem to be a question of honour. He’s targeting old males past their prime even if he makes a target of himself in the process.

Scott, meanwhile, proves almost as confounding. Here is a man who has disavowed meat, and yet through his lens the vegan protesters spray-painting sidewalks in central London look just as unreal and absurd as Wallace’s bucket of spider-infested drinking water in the Highlands of Scotland. You’d expect a film on such a controversial subject to be polarising, and yet even Scott seemed surprised when a relatively peaceable audience at a venue above a vegan restaurant in Glasgow quizzed him not on the morality of his subject matter but the demeanor of his subject. After all, Scott is by his own admission complicit in the killing of a Cape Buffalo, hunting it alongside Wallace not for personal glory but professional gain. He may have only been shooting with a camera, but his presence still resulted in the death of an animal and his film constitutes a trophy of sorts in itself.

Whatever your opinion on trophy hunting, there is something to be gleaned from The End of the Game – even if it’s just a few guffaws at Scott or Wallace’s expense. The most telling insight of all must surely come at the end of the film, when the latter receives his mounted buffalo horns in the post and laments their sanitisation for the American market. “They’ve taken the life and soul out of it”, he says, without irony or rebuke. It’s a provocative, compelling watch.

https://www.heyuguys.com/the-end-of-the-game-review/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335547 - 16/12/19 09:03 PM

The odd couple: Find out what happened when the big game hunter met the vegan film-maker
MAKING a documentary on a colonial throwback in search of his final kill in South Africa was both challenging - and rewarding - for animal lover David Graham Scott.

ByAnna Burnside
13:06, 30 JUL 2015

TAKE one vegan documentary film-maker. Add an ancient hunter, desperate to give his trusty rifle one last run round the block. Put them together on a game reserve in South Africa.

What happened next could have been a disaster.

Instead David Graham Scott, the steak-dodger with the camera, came away from his trip to the savannah with the raw material for his next feature-length film.

Called The End of the Game, the documentary is a candid look a what happens when an animal rights activist gets up close to a colonial throwback and his game-hunting arsenal.

Guy Wallace, the pensioner with the big rifle, looks like Donald Findlay QC after a week in a hedge.

Guy Wallace was likened to a Victorian gentleman by his new friend David.
He lives in a caravan at the end of a treacherous pot-holed track in the wilds of Sutherland with dogs and a Swahili-speaking parrot for company. He wants to shoot one last Cape buffalo before he hangs up his guns for good.

“He’s done everything,” said David, who encountered Guy on another shoot six years ago and has wanted to make a film about him ever since.

“He was a gaucho in Patagonia. He’s been in Malaysia, Borneo, the Kings African Rifles. Guy’s a product of all of that, one of the last great British eccentrics.”

Guy is also, David admitted, “very right-wing and old-fashioned”.

There was a lot of teasing about tree-loving, bunny hugging liberals. But that is also part of his story.

“He’s a Victorian gentleman from the colonial period. I knew his relic had to be recorded,” he said.

David has been making films since his 20s. He is best known for his BBC documentary Detox or Die, in which he took the controversial anti-addiction drug ibogaine which has helped many people to come off heroin – and killed others.

And while it was a critical success and allowed David to make a follow-up called Iboga Nights, it has also earned him the tag “junkie film-maker”.

Keen to point his camera away from the addict life, he sold his flat in Glasgow and headed home to Sutherland to work on his film about Guy.

“I want to get back to my roots, making films about characters,” he said. “The junkie tag pushes a lot of people away.”

In Guy, he has found the perfect subject for a drug-free documentary.

A film about a creaking Scottish reprobate in a threadbare deerstalker hat going to South Africa to bag his last big trophy would be strong enough.

But the moral and ethical dilemmas faced by the animal lover behind the camera should make End of the Game something more than a cheap laugh about a bonkers pensioner with a taste for tweed.

“I could do a hatchet job on Guy,” said David. “An old racist in South Africa shooting these poor animals. But I’m not going to do that.”

Despite his desire to make a nuanced, personal film, David was dreading the trip.

It was a 10-day stay in a hunting lodge, sharing a room with Guy. A grizzled hunter with fingernails like a coal miner’s would not be many people’s first choice as a travelling companion.

Veteran Guy's outdated views are part of the film's appeal.
Then there was the vexed question of what the vegan would eat. Imagining meat on the menu for every meal, David filled his suitcase with dehydrated vegetables. (When the hotel asked about his dietary requirements, he replied: “Vegan. LOL.”)

In fact, the pair got on famously and the food was some of the best he had ever eaten. Out on the savannah, with the prey in site, David found his attitudes shifting.

He grew up in the farming and fishing heartland of Wick and reckons he was the first vegetarian in Sutherland. These are deeply held beliefs. But, under the unforgiving African sun, there were beliefs he had to challenge in himself.

“This fellow kills things, he’s got no qualms about it,” he said. “But he is hunting and stalking an animal that’s lived a life in the wild and doesn’t know what’s going on until a bullet obliterates it. That is better than some poor hen living in a battery cage or a pig in those horrible pens. Intensive farming is an ugly thin

David Graham Scott holds a bullet - he feels a primitive connection to hunters.
“If I had the choice between eating the animal that Guy had shot and eating something from a factory farm, I’d go for the wild creature.”

Despite his lifelong commitment to animal rights, David found himself getting drawn into the thrill of the chase.

He said: “I was there with the camera, trying to film Guy getting the shot at the buffalo. I’m trying to film the event and I’m wanting the buffalo to get shot because I need my shot.”

David’s mixed emotions became an important part of the film.

“I had a big ethical dilemma going on,” he said. “At a primitive level, I felt part of this group of men. We were all out on the savannah, just thorny bushes and miles of dusty ground, nothing there. Then things appeared out of the bushes. A rhino caused a bit of a scene. We almost got trampled.”

To camouflage themselves in the bush, the hunters had to walk in step with each other. “We were three guys with guns and me with a camera,” he added. “Four men had to walk as if we were one animal, like a rhinoceros, to fool the buffalo into thinking we were one entity.

“In that moment I felt connected to something very primitive and primeval. I knew there was something going on there that was beyond me. Something that is a base instinct that comes out of being with a group of men I actually had a strange respect for.”

Read more about the controversial game-hunting dentist who sparked outrage after killing 13-year-old Cecil the lion.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/walter-palmer-leopard-rhino-bison-6153765

Cecil the lion, allegedly killed by an American tourist on a hunt - even hunter Guy said "I think it stinks".
David is making End of the Game with no clear idea when and where it will be shown.

“I would like to see it going into a prestigious festival and winning first prize. Then I get thousands of commissions to make documentaries about all the oddball characters I meet that I have an affinity with,” he said, with the dry humour that is also visible in his films.

“I don’t like TV documentaries on the whole, they have gone downhill a lot. I made nothing from my last documentary but it won best UK documentary at a prestigious festival. That means something to me. Detox or Die has changed thousands of people’s lives. I know this because I get hundreds of emails saying so.”

But even if he has lost faith in some things, he still believes there is an audience for Guy’s swansong. He said: “I know it will do something, I know it’s got the potential to go somewhere.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real-life/odd-couple-find-out-what-6164483

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335548 - 16/12/19 09:26 PM

The End of the Game (2017)
1h 11min | Documentary | 20 February 2017 (UK)

The End of the Game Poster

A bizarre journey to Africa with a vegan filmmaker and a big game hunter. Committed vegan, David Graham Scott, follows old colonial relic Guy Wallace as he prepares to go on his last big game hunt and fulfil his ambition to bag the fearsome cape buffalo. It's Guy's last chance to relive his glory days in the African bush and finally lay down his guns. The oddball relationship of Scott and Wallace is the central drive of the film as the director explores the ethics of big game hunting and even questions his own animal rights stance when lured in by the thrill of the hunt. The End of the Game has at its core a great character in a great location going on an epic journey to an equally marvellous setting. Guy Wallace lives in a ramshackle caravan on a barren moor in the northern highlands of Scotland. He sits surrounded by memories of the past: a past that includes going patrols with the King's African Rifles, periods as a mercenary in the turbulent post-colonial phase and as a tracker for big game hunters in Kenya and Tanzania. Filmmaker David Graham Scott lives near the old eccentric in the Caithness moors. He's built a solid relationship with the man he often refers to as 'Sir' Guy and that is fully explored within both the badlands of Caithness and the South African bush. The belligerent old colonial is cut from the same mould as Molly Dineen's central character in Home from the Hill: a man out of time and out of place. The End of the Game is a POV director led narrative questioning the ethics of game hunting and built around the oddball coupling of a vegan and hunter.

—Louis Dante

Director: David Graham Scott
Writer: David Graham Scott

Plot Keywords: vegan | hunting | highlands | africa | documentarian | See All (5) »
Taglines: An eccentric old colonial relic goes on his last big game hunt with a vegan filmmaker. What could go wrong?
Genres: Documentary
Parents Guide: Add content advisory for parents »
Edit
Details
Official Sites: Official Facebook
Language: English
Release Date: 20 February 2017 (UK) See more »
Filming Locations: Caithness, Highland, Scotland, UK See more »
Edit
Box Office
Budget:GBP110,000 (estimated)
See more on IMDbPro »
Company Credits
Production Co: Creative Scotland, Hopscotch Films See more »
Show more on IMDbPro »
Technical Specs
Runtime: 71 min
Color: Color
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 HD
See full technical specs »

10/10
The end of an era?
timbowie-8370510 October 2019
An original premise - the ardent vegan and the diehard old colonial eccentric finding more in common than might be expected. A respectful and humorous view of a character who is now almost extinct - a genuine eccentric. Greatly enjoyed the sympathetic treatment and what in essence is a sad story about a lonely individual - no poking fun or judgement. A delight to watch.

9/10
An amazing dichotomy
cardshark-4682611 December 2018
This film was a fantastic character piece. Sir Guy Wallace is a true relic in this day and age. This is so much more than just a documentary about a big game hunt. The film presents both the filmmakers vegan point of view as well as the perspective of an old colonialist trying to relive his glory days. David Graham Scott did a fantastic job of stating his views on hunting as well as paint Sir Guy Wallace as someone who is to be studied and appreciated as a living piece of history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6495322/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335550 - 16/12/19 09:49 PM

Eye For Film >> Movies >> The End Of The Game (2017) Film Review
The End Of The Game
***1/2
Reviewed by: Jennie Kermode

"There's some fascinating, deep psychological stuff on display here, and this is the real strength of the film."

A documentary portrait of a big game hunter who is determined to kill a cape buffalo.
Director: David Graham Scott

Starring: Guy Wallace

Year: 2017

Runtime: 71 minutes

Festivals:

Glasgow 2017

If Guy Wallace were a fictional character, people would complain that he was unrealistic. From his hoary sideburns to his muddy tweeds to his consummate guffaws, he's a museum piece, a relic of Empire. He's served in the army, lived in various parts of Africa and India, faced considerable deprivation and lived the high life at the expense of people he doesn't quite seem to recognise as human. Now, before he dies, he wants to hunt and kill a Cape buffalo. So why is he taking a vegan with him?

Filmmaker David Graham Scott isn't just vegan, he's somebody who has devoted a lot of his time to the animal rights movement. Like all the best documentarians, however, he's intrigued by people whose outlook he doesn't understand. Wallace seems to feel the same way, and, despite his professed loathing of pretty much anybody different from himself, is quite courteous about inviting Scott into his world. There's none of the teasing or attempts to tempt with meat that vegans often experience, at least not on tape. Wallace says he hates political correctness but when he comments to a friend, part way through, about his blunder in using a racist term in front of Scott, it becomes clear that he's been modifying his language to avoid offending him - pretty much the definition of PC. He certainly hasn't done it for the sake of the black Africans they meet on safari, who take his behaviour in their stride and give the impression that they deal with people like him all the time. Their endless patience has an undercurrent of humour. They cater for Scott with ease but regard him somewhat like an exotic pet, perplexed as to what he's doing there.

Scott asks himself the same question as the film goes on. He handles the physical demands of hunting pretty well, whether accompanying Wallace on a trip to shoot rabbits near his Scottish highland home or venturing out into the African bush. He really is in at the deep end, though, and only a casual warning keeps him from being lion food at one point, as nobody had previously thought to tell him not to wander around the camp after dark. The sight of animal carcasses, whether the work of lions or humans, clearly disturbs him deeply, and in this regard he becomes as much a subject of the film as Wallace is. Watching a boy get blooded after his first kill, he recoils, seeing it as a primitive ritual; yet it is perhaps the start of his journey to understanding the relationship between hunter and hunted. Having felt and smelled the blood on his own face, the boy won't eat meat again without understanding where it comes from.

Some of those accompanying Wallace and Scott on their trip describe the former as representing the past, the latter the future. Neither man seems to mind, but much more interesting are the qualities that they share. Wallace talks about the reason why hunting appeals to him, how it feels to pit one's wits against a creature which, if a single mistake is made, could easily turn around and take one's life. Over time, they come to respect one another's sense of connection to nature. Scott admits that his feelings are complicated by an increasing desire to prove he's good enough to be part of the group. There's some fascinating, deep psychological stuff on display here, and this is the real strength of the film. The rhetorical arguments, by contrast, have little room to develop - late on, the idea that big game hunting can help fund the prevention of poaching and make nature reserves financially viable is introduced, but although Scott treats it cautiously, the mounting challenges to this narrative go unmentioned.

Although some viewers may feel uncomfortable about Wallace being given room to air his racist views, The End Of The Game reflects the anthropological approach of the colonialists by depicting him in, as it were, his native habitat, his traditional behaviours compromised only by the desire to make a good impression on Scott. This is much more valuable and interesting than a less sympathetic approach might have been. It contributes to a lingering sense of sadness - one doesn't have to share Wallace's values to note the poignancy in his recognition that he's one of the last of his kind. Like the animals he pursues, he seems too big for the modern world, too destructive by nature and unable to change. His genial acceptance that the world has changed flies in the face of his bluster; sometimes it's hard to be sure how much is real and how much performance, like the buffalo tilting its head and stamping it heels to try and head off real conflict, aware of its vulnerability.

Viewers opposed to hunting are unlikely to have their minds changed by Wallace and his friends, but may find it easier to understand where they're coming from. There's less here for viewers who are themselves hunters, but what they see of Scott may lead them to question some of their own assumptions. If common ground is to be found in the struggle to preserve our natural environment, films like this have a valuable role to play.

Reviewed on: 04 Mar 2017

https://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/review/end-of-the-game-2016-film-review-by-jennie-kermode

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#335551 - 16/12/19 10:10 PM

Talking Movies At GFF17 – #1: An Interview With The End Of The Game Director David Graham Scott…

FEBRUARY 12, 2017

David Graham Scott’s The End Of The Game is described as “A bizarre journey to Africa with a vegan filmmaker and an old colonial big game hunter.” In truth, that description just scratches the surface of what may prove to be the most controversial film at this year’s Glasgow Film Festival, most probably for people who only engage with it on the most simple and perfunctory level. Those who are willing to look beyond the perceived stereotypes which that description suggests will discover a layered and complex picture of a man out of time facing his own mortality, and the disappearance of all that he once held as certain.

It is also as much about the director himself and his growing relationship with his leading man and his beliefs, and how they appear to directly oppose his own. Scott avoids bringing his own preconceptions to the making of the film, and that’s the way an audience should approach it as well.

I was lucky enough to talk to Scott about The End Of The Game, and it’s clear that while this is different in terms of place and people from his previous films, which include Iboga Nights and the brilliant Wireburners, it became as personal as any other, which is arguably the defining feature of all his work. He is a director who makes films not because he simply wants to, he simply has to.

SWH!: Hi David, could you give a synopsis of The End Of The Game?

DGS: The film follows a man called Guy Wallace as he prepares to go on his last big game hunt and fulfil his ambition to bag the Cape buffalo. It’s Guy’s last chance to relive his glory days in the African bush and finally lay down his guns. At its core The End of the Game is about the relationship between myself as director, vegan, and animal rights supporter, and the ageing hunter, which is how Guy Wallace defines himself. It is the central drive of the film, exploring the ethics of big game hunting and which had me questioning my own animal rights stance when faced with the realities of a hunt.

SWH!: Why make this film in particular?

DGS: I had been working on another documentary called Arcadia which was set on a hunting estate in Caithness, although the film itself is more to do with wind farms. But when I was filming on the estate I met this incredible character who lived in this ramshackle caravan. He seemed to me, at first sight, like an old, British colonial relic. It was like finding a prehistoric fossil or similar.

SWH!: This turns out to be the man you call “Sir Guy” Wallace (see below). From the outside it’s difficult to imagine two more different people; the liberal, vegan film-maker and the colonial big-game hunter. How did your relationship with him, and the film, unfold?

DGS: As with most of my films what develops is more than you imagine initially, and circumstances affect this as well. I actually started filming about eight years ago but I had no funding. Then Hopscotch Films and Creative Scotland offered funding, and this allowed me to go to Africa. I then had to film everything I could to make it work as people’s lives can’t be put on hold to suit your documentary.

In the meantime, Guy kept changing his mind about where he wanted to do his hunt. I should point out that he was funding the hunt himself. This was money which may arguaby have been better spent elsewhere as he was living in the most ramshackle, cobweb-infested caravan while his croft crumbled. But, one moment it was Tanzania, the next somewhere else – he couldn’t settle. Eventually we ended up near Kruger Park in South Africa. So it was a long waiting game, and a getting to know you period. It wasn’t constant, though, as in that time I also made Iboga Nights, but eventually everything tied together nicely and we went to Africa in 2015.

There is a build up to that as around a third of the film is shot in Caithness, and that is the initial getting to know you period, for the audience as well as me. There will be people who think I am pandering to a man who holds what can be seen as reactionary views, and which I don’t agree with, but I genuinely feel that this is a an individual from another era. There will be those who will write him off, but I couldn’t and would not do that. I don’t see the world in this black-and-white way.

SWH!: The film is as much about Guy raging against the dying of the light – about his own mortality. He says, “Inside this 73-year-old bloke is a 33-year-old hooligan trying to fight his way out”. Is this something which you also wanted to explore?

DGS: It’s a vital part of the film – an integral moment. You can’t plan it, you just try and capture these things. It shows the vulnerable side of him when he talks about being an old man in decline, but it can also be seen, if you like, as the end of the age of Empire. The last colonial standing. That may seem a bit cliched, but from the outside Guy is a walking cliche. The last big game hunter.

SWH!: Did making this film change your view on hunting?

DGS: I have been vegan for the vast majority of my life and am a supporter of animal rights, so by all rights should be against the whole undertaking. However, I have to admit the intricacies of the hunt and hunting were fascinating, and I did get drawn into the process on a primitive level. But the film is about complicity as well – my complicity at being drawn in to the hunt, and also building a bond with this man. In both cases, the story was not as simple as it first appeared, and I had to explore that. This is one man’s story, I’m not making any sweeping statements about hunting just as I’m not about him. I’m ready for those who will attack me for making it, and making it in this way, but it was the only way the film was going to work for me.

The End Of The Game is on Mon 20th Feb (18.30) and Tue 21st Feb (15.45), at the CCA.

Here’s the trailer:
https://vimeo.com/139553665

The SWH! review of The End Of The Game can be read here… .... http://wp.me/p5I25o-Ra

https://scotswhayhae.com/2017/02/12/talk...d-graham-scott/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #335555 - 17/12/19 12:40 AM

Thank you for posting this..

Look forward to watching this..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - worth watching [Re: Ripp]
      #337485 - 06/02/20 01:47 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - viewable again [Re: NitroX]
      #341601 - 02/06/20 09:55 PM

https://youtu.be/7JRqDYjv7qA

The End of the Game⎜WHY STORIES⎜(Documentary)
1,866 views•4 May 2020

THE WHY
97.3K subscribers
A committed vegan, David, follows 73-year-old colonial relic Guy Wallace to South Africa as he fulfills a lifelong ambition to bag a Cape buffalo. It’s Guy’s last chance to relive his glory days and finally lay down his guns. The oddball relationship between David and Guy is the central drive of the film as the director explores the ethics of big game hunting and questions his own animal rights stance when lured in by the thrill of the hunt. THE END OF THE GAME is a compelling character study of a bizarre eccentric undertaking his last big game hunt in Africa.

Filmmakers: David Graham Scott

Movie restored to public access.

Watch it while you can.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - viewable again [Re: NitroX]
      #341635 - 03/06/20 04:18 AM

thank you for the new link, lost it

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The End of the Game - buffalo hunt movie - viewable again [Re: lancaster]
      #362868 - 01/03/22 03:37 PM

Something worth watching as a diversion at the moment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6077

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com