Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Some new gear

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Some new gear
      #334063 - 30/10/19 09:54 PM

Just thought I would give a small report on a couple of new pieces of hunting kit that I bought recently and used on a trip into lower NSW on a private property that we have been going to for years.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/shop/rigby-safari-shirt/

I have wanted one of these shirts for a while and bought one the other week at the Melbourne shot show. Absolutely fantastic, super comfy and very well made, also comes with a full shirt bag made from cotton to hang it in. Well worth the money. The only addition I would make is to have some Gel padding fitted under the leather if you are going to do a lot of shooting with heavy calibers.

http://www.courteneyboot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/selous1.jpg

I also bought a pair of these recently and they are the most comfy summer boots that you could imagine. I wear Australian Redback boots in the colder months but for hotter weather you cannot beat these. Incredibly comfy and light, they just mold to your feet and the ground and the shoelaces don't come loose. The boots come with a pair of leather innersoles (although I fitted some Redback innersoles), spare laces, boot creme, a brush and a cotton boot bag. The only special note is that the sizes are a half size smaller than your standard sizes so if you are normally a size 9 you will need a 9 1/2. Other hunters have said the same thing.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Some new gear [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #334068 - 31/10/19 02:27 AM

Nice bit of kit.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Some new gear [Re: DarylS]
      #334143 - 03/11/19 07:31 AM

Very nice gear indeed Matt; you have now the right pieces of kit for considering moving to Africa!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Some new gear [Re: Louis]
      #334144 - 03/11/19 08:31 AM

Do you fellows know who makes something like the shirt but without the recoil pad?

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Some new gear [Re: tinker]
      #334272 - 09/11/19 04:22 AM

Quote:

Do you fellows know who makes something like the shirt but without the recoil pad?

I was going to suggest

Cabela's Serengeti Safari™ II Short-Sleeve Shirt

But the Cabelas idiots seem to have discontinued it.

I guess I will have tailored made when my shirts wear out. The NitroExpress brand will be started, In a proper green.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Some new gear [Re: NitroX]
      #334277 - 09/11/19 04:59 AM

WESTLEY RICHARDS
Expedition Safari Shirt
£162.50

https://store.westleyrichards.com/w-r-co-expedition-safari-shirt

Stitched with gold thread!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334278 - 09/11/19 05:02 AM

Quote:

Just thought I would give a small report on a couple of new pieces of hunting kit that I bought recently and used on a trip into lower NSW on a private property that we have been going to for years.

[image]https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/untitled-40-of-65.jpgb[/image]

I have wanted one of these shirts for a while and bought one the other week at the Melbourne shot show. Absolutely fantastic, super comfy and very well made, also comes with a full shirt bag made from cotton to hang it in. Well worth the money. The only addition I would make is to have some Gel padding fitted under the leather if you are going to do a lot of shooting with heavy calibers.

I also bought a pair of these recently and they are the most comfy summer boots that you could imagine. I wear Australian Redback boots in the colder months but for hotter weather you cannot beat these. Incredibly comfy and light, they just mold to your feet and the ground and the shoelaces don't come loose. The boots come with a pair of leather innersoles (although I fitted some Redback innersoles), spare laces, boot creme, a brush and a cotton boot bag. The only special note is that the sizes are a half size smaller than your standard sizes so if you are normally a size 9 you will need a 9 1/2. Other hunters have said the same thing.

Matt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Some new gear [Re: Louis]
      #334336 - 10/11/19 11:26 AM

Thanks Louis, yes one of these days I will get there when time and finances allow, there is not a day goes by when I don't dream of going hunting in Africa. Having said that there are many places in Australia that are identical to the the African country side minus many of the beasts obviously. We do however have six different deer species and many of those have moved in to the dry and arid areas where they weren't before. On a recent trip into NSW on a huge property which grows rice we started seeing Fallow, Chittal, Red deer and pigs for the first time and will now be back during the rut and the winter months. Much of the land there looks and feels like Africa, and we certainly enjoyed a few Sundowners around camp in the evenings.
And don't forget that much of the area the Mick and Marrakai live and hunt in is pretty similar to Africa.

Matt.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #334338 - 10/11/19 11:28 AM

Quote:

WESTLEY RICHARDS
Expedition Safari Shirt
£162.50

https://store.westleyrichards.com/w-r-co-expedition-safari-shirt

Stitched with gold thread!

It better be, at that price YIKES guess I won't be buying one, any time soon.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#334339 - 10/11/19 11:29 AM

Tinker, the shirt does not have a recoil pad, just the leather over the shoulder, very well made and super comfy.

John, that WR shirt is a ripper as well, as are their Safari jackets, and they have a light weight one as well now. Expensive but good. I have also found them very nice people do deal with.

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334352 - 10/11/19 01:14 PM

Quote:

John, that WR shirt is a ripper as well, as are their Safari jackets, and they have a light weight one as well now. Expensive but good. I have also found them very nice people do deal with.

That WR Safari Jacket looks good as another custom tailored made copy with the WR at BDP500!!!!!!! :O

WESTLEY RICHARDS
Bushveld Lightweight Safari Jacket in Wild Grass
£495.83

https://store.westleyrichards.com/newsle...ari-jacket.html

The GBP70 safari shirt.

https://store.westleyrichards.com/courteney-selous-shirt

COURTENEY BOOT COMPANY
Selous Shirt
£70.83

https://store.westleyrichards.com/courteney-selous-shirt

WESTLEY RICHARDS
The Expedition Safari Shirt in Brushed Beige
£162.50

https://store.westleyrichards.com/the-expedition-safari-shirt-in-brushed-beige

Lots of GOLD thread and DIAMOND buttons I think!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334354 - 10/11/19 01:30 PM

I reckon I could beat these prices with a significant margin with tailored made "Nitro Express" brand pieces. And tailor made for the orderer.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334355 - 10/11/19 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[image]https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/wp-content/uploads/untitled-40-of-65.jpgb[/image]

Matt.

Never finished my post.

I have derided and laughed at the Courtney boots many times. I wanted to buy a pair from the shop factory door for US$25 in 2001. They weren't selling at the factory door when I was there. The Bulawayo Indian stores saw a "rich foreignor" and tried to sell theirs at US$250 and up. Ffff them, no sale.

At GBP350 still way over priced for the "Westley Richards" offering, remember they used to sell at a Profit for US$25.

I reckon getting a set, flying over to Hue in Vietnam and getting several sets of boots made would well and truly pay for a holiday in Vietnam with the savings.

I might one day get a Courtney Selous set of boots. Just because I have wanted a pair for twenty years or more. My PH had a new set, an early 'model' for a hunt in 1994, and he had blisters after a 32 km walk one day. I didn't.

My Scarpas still do the job pretty well, but aren't as pretty or trendy for shopping in the town malls.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#334359 - 10/11/19 02:22 PM

I bought mine form the Australian agent and they weren't anything like 350 Pounds.

Matt.

--------------------

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
      #334363 - 10/11/19 05:10 PM

i have similar boots made by rogue, i picked up for £50 ok in the dry no use in rain

ROGUE RH1 Half Boot

greenshoots

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Some new gear [Re: greenshoots]
      #334380 - 11/11/19 07:06 AM

Like John, I too was at the door of Courtneys once in Zimbabwe..Didn't buy them.. perhaps I should have.. ???

For the past 6 years or so I have worn Kenetrek's.. their shop is local but is sold around the country..very popular.. fairly expensive, but they have never failed me.. Wear the shorty HARDSCRABBLE early in the year for bowhunting.. or early season pronghorn, elk, deer, bear and even pheasant..

Later in the year I wear the insulated tall version.. Mountain Extreme 400 insulated version

Both are, for my feet, extremely comfortable and water proof..my feet stay blister free, dry and in colder weather, warm.. I wore the Mountain Extreme 400 last year elk hunting in -10F weather chasing elk, they did great..

Customer service is fantastic --and the owners are avid hunters...

Would take a lot for me to go elsewhere..

https://kenetrek.com/collections/hiking-boots

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (11/11/19 07:40 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30667

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com