Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: altimet muzzle loader

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
altimet muzzle loader
      #333516 - 17/10/19 12:09 PM

I have been studying up on smokeless muzzle loaders. The ballistics on these things is awesome. Just got done watching a video with a one shot kill on an antelope at 715 yds. I have decided to build one on a 700 remington action using a Boyds AT-ONE stock. Thes rifles use a max charge of 78grs of IMT 4198 and develop velocity's over 2800 to 3000fps.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: altimet muzzle loader [Re: Wayne59]
      #333541 - 17/10/19 11:02 PM

Quote:

I have been studying up on smokeless muzzle loaders. The ballistics on these things is awesome. Just got done watching a video with a one shot kill on an antelope at 715 yds. I have decided to build one on a 700 remington action using a Boyds AT-ONE stock. Thes rifles use a max charge of 78grs of IMT 4198 and develop velocity's over 2800 to 3000fps.

Have only vaguely heard of this.

What's the driving purpose? Loophole in state hunting laws which don't specify black powder?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: altimet muzzle loader [Re: 9.3x57]
      #333543 - 18/10/19 01:41 AM

Interesting, only in that 'they' can get it to work. Primer ignition, of course.
Good point, Rod.
One of the ideas of shotgun/muzzleloader seasons, was the reduced actual range of the guns.
Shotguns (smoothbore) with Foster slugs and muzzleloading rifles shooting round balls both have, in the smaller
.50 cal and under sizes, very much reduced range, even compared to a .22 LR. This max range is much less than
1,000yards & is closer to 700 max.
The dawn of rifled 12 bores and the inline muzzleloading rifles pushed this to the limit, indeed, was the reason for
the cancellation of special seasons, or the changing of rules to allow only round ball, side hammer. I'm not sure of
any changes regarding the shooting of bullets in rifled shotguns.
So, once again, there is a "move" to market yet another increase in power and range, which may result in yet more
"restrictive" regulations.
I guess that's progress - or not.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Wayne59
.400 member

Re: altimet muzzle loader [Re: DarylS]
      #333557 - 18/10/19 04:47 AM

Some states restrict their primitive hunting seasons to primitive weapons and others don't. Ga is not one of them. If I were going to hunt with this thing I would use it in regular season. One of the reasons for building it smokeless is the cost of the powders. It uses a lot less powder and some of the smokeless powder is less expensive than some of the high grade Bp substitutes. I am going to build this just because I think it is interesting and because I can. By the way these have to be registered just like regular weapons.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: altimet muzzle loader [Re: Wayne59]
      #333560 - 18/10/19 04:52 AM

"registered just like regular weapons"?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Wayne59
.400 member

Re: altimet muzzle loader [Re: DarylS]
      #333570 - 18/10/19 07:37 AM

You don't have to register muzzleloaders in most of the US. These are an exception. By register I mean submit to a background check. Like we all don't know it is a registration.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1756

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com