Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels [Re: 93x64mm]
      #333242 - 09/10/19 12:08 PM

Transvaal, Thank you for posting your project. You don't get to see much about "shoe lump" builds, though Alex Beer did post one at one stage.

Like your idea about your intercepting sear. Great "evolution" of that Brno lock.

Matabele thanks for your input on the draw insert I'd read Vic Venter's writing about them but never seen one.

Waidmannsheill could the wire cutter be used to cut the slot in the action as well as cutting the radius on the draw insert ???

Without access to a wire cutter might the draw insert be made via holding (horizontally) in a jig on your rotary table and machining the radius until it's ready to fit ??? Perhaps with a setup like that you could make a set of inserts, gradually increasing in thickness (radius) so that the gun could be more quickly rebuilt as it went "off face".

This is a fantastic topic and helps to demistify some of the processes involved in producing a double rifle. Thanks to all you gents for sharing your knowledge. It will certainly be interesting to see later technology like cnc applied to these processes, making "kits of parts" so that they can be hand fitted.............though fitting with smoke and file to arrive at a product worth owning is a source of great satisfaction.

Love the conversation and the exchanging of knowledge/ideas without the, ever too present, pissing competition that these sites seem to evoke.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
transvaal
.275 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels [Re: twobobbwana]
      #333245 - 09/10/19 01:01 PM

Matabele moved away to England several years ago (moved from his lovely Southern Africa) and now works for one of the English big 3 London gunmakers (H&H,Purdey & Boss). He will become the master gunmakers trained the English way that we never were. I have not heard from him in months and just after I write this I am going to send him an email.

Is Alex Beer alive and well in Tasmania? I only went over there a couple of times nearly 20 years ago, but I thought it was a very very lovely place and still pristine. I am glad you Australians do not let others trash your country.

Kindest Regards

Edited by transvaal (09/10/19 01:02 PM)

Daryl_S
.577 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Building, regulating & engraving a DR with shoe lump barrels [Re: transvaal]
      #333252 - 09/10/19 03:56 PM

Making plans to visit Tasmania next March. Hmmmmmmmmm.

--------------------
Daryl

"a rifle without hammers, is like a Spaniel without ears" Edward VII

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl, 4seventy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10338

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com