Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt
      #333061 - 05/10/19 09:12 PM

Arrived yesterday arvo Impressed with condition. Came with leupold 4-12 so cleaned and already loaded 140 accubonds with 2209. So Out for a quick sight in and ready for todays hunt.
Looking to be pretty hot so a early start and skirted some of the country I usually look at to get out to some buff carcases to pick up some heads.
Found a small boar in a tight gully and ran forward to catch him going up, put up a bedded boar under a bank. Swung onto him and had to wait for a gap in the trees, poleaxed him at 40m.Stoked first with the new Winchester. Quick pic session and moved on.
Nothing at the cacasses so I hunted on and left Joey to skin out her head from a few weeks ago. Found nothing and on return found her asleep. Loaded the head and continued on to good water, we were low already.
Nothing at the next spot so topped up with water and continued. After picking up another head.
Next up were a few buff out of a wallow, running neck shot at 70m crashed the cow but she made it to her feet and required a couple more to finish her. Cow was in poor condition.A few pics and heading out.
Loaded up so slow travelling and I walked onto a bull wallowing in a pool. Decision, and went with a head shot at 20m drop on the spot but in the water. Sh#t worried about fouling the water but it will be gone in the next two weeks. Made for some interesting pics and set up.
Took the back straps and rumps and made for a interesting carry out. Heres a few pics. Cheers Mick
first boar

King brown Pseudechis australis

Joey asleep

Joey proud walk out, first buff a few weeks earlier

topping up water

Cow

young bull

Edited by 264 (06/10/19 11:25 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: 264]
      #333062 - 05/10/19 09:38 PM

Instant hunt with the new rifle. Good stuf.

So when you skin out a head two weeks after being shot and two weeks in hot and possibly humid conditions, what condition is in it? ie how much does it stink? how much rotting, perhaps dried out flesh is left on it?

One of my last heads, my last one? I removed the jaw straignt away, the tongue, the skin, eyes, as much flesh as I could before carrying it out. Dumped it in the bush a distance away from the properties gate near the highway. Spent some days in Darwin etc. On return wrapped it up with plastic garbage bags and tape. Mounted on the back of the Landcruiser. Hoping for an airtight seal so it didn't smell too much when at hotels, motel, fuel stations etc. On return home had stuff to do, so dumped it under a tree. Forgot about it for a fortnight or more. Damn, have to get to it, thought one day, so unwrapped it, what a stink, and most of the remaining flesh has liquified and poured out. Squirted it out with a strong hose stream, cleaned out most of it that way. Some boiling water. Put somewhere to dry out.

Decided not to let it get to a liquification stage in future.

I reckon your heads had to stink a lot!?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #333065 - 06/10/19 03:58 AM

Well done, Mic & all with 140 Accubonds - a lot of close range hammering going on with a long range rifle.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

.375 member

Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #333075 - 06/10/19 10:05 AM

These heads were from a few weeks back. So nothing wet left on the skulls. Dry skin hard to cut but tears easy after gripping with leatheman.
Stink "YEAH" Packs came home in the tray of the ute and will need a wash.
Few more to pick up.

.375 member

#333089 - 06/10/19 09:31 PM

Heres todays results. Bit lazier today drive to watering points and walk in to see whats on the water.
Dog was first and copped one at around 130 running away. Station owners was stoked.
Got a boar straight after the dog and disturbed a feral cat. Cat was on the move and wouldn't pull up so settled for a running shot at around 170m . Went close by the way it jumped in the air.
Pics and hunted along a erosion channel, found a bedded boar and got in to two metres before he busted out of his bed easy running shot at 20m. Recovered the 140 accubond.
Day interrupted by a puncture and headed for home. Called into a tank on the way out and got two sows.
Not a bad day. Heres a couple of pics cheers Mick

first boar

second boar

recovered 140 accubond the both shoulders

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #333093 - 07/10/19 01:34 AM

NICE!
How fast are you driving those Accubonds, Mic?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: DarylS]
      #333318 - 11/10/19 06:49 PM

Congratulations on your nice pre-64 Mick.
With this impressive rate of harvesting you are going to depopulate AUS & NZ of every kind of game!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: Louis]
      #333357 - 12/10/19 12:25 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Nice one 264, and thanks for sharing.
It's a very capable cartridge but bad mouthed by some, that never owned one.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: Louis]
      #333376 - 13/10/19 09:01 AM

Quote:

With this impressive rate of harvesting you are going to depopulate AUS & NZ of every kind of game!
Louis

Certainly true for the first part, but as to depopulating game here especially pigs - not a chance! (well stated there by the way Louis, Mick certainly knows his bushcraft)
You'll have to get Ripp over here Mick & get a proper hunting comparison of his Creedmoor compared to your Winnie!

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: 93x64mm]
      #333379 - 13/10/19 09:45 AM

Well done Mick, that 264 certainly seems to work bloody well. The Accubond worked impressively in that photo and a very good photo of you in the water with that buff, our Vegan friends would go apeshit especially with the colour of the water.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #333386 - 13/10/19 06:31 PM

Great Pics Mick!!

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Winchester pre 64 264WM Hunt [Re: 93x64mm]
      #333392 - 13/10/19 08:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Louis

Certainly true for the first part, but as to depopulating game here especially pigs - not a chance! (well stated there by the way Louis, Mick certainly knows his bushcraft)

I remember estimating one herd of wild pigs in the Top End on the floodplain as having 300 piggies! Biggest mob we had seen that trip. And we didn't get one out of that mob. The property owner's son was going to roar his Jeep out onto the plain, we jump out and shoot away, running after them as necessary. But we got stuck in deep mud a hundred metres out instead, and didn't get even one! A hour or two later we had extracted the Jeep using paperbark trunks from hundreds of metres away to line a track back out. Not happy! Ha ha. We did get some 23 or more, I forget nice sized boars in those three days between the two of us. The boars were usually solitary and not in the big mobs.

Mick's impressive photos of game, good stuff, a thousand Mick's might start making a dent. Good work by Mick.

Other parts of the Territory wild pigs can be quite scarce. In Arnhemland they are not as common. Usually present in smaller numbers. The property above was rich wetlands, Fantastic waterfowl numbers, but no shooting of them. Great cattle country, a year after I was there owned by RM Williams company and lost access. Since passed on to new owners is my guess.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2728

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com