Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375 NE 2-1/2"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375 NE 2-1/2"
      #329392 - 15/06/19 03:30 PM

Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375 NE 2-1/2"

Hello All,

As per the previous post, this forum is for "single shots" and "combination guns" - well I just bought one of each. (separate posts) Here is the Combination Gun.

Its a Cogswell & Harrison in 16 gauge by 375 NE 2-1/2".

Specs are: 25-1/4" bbl - 14-1/2" LOP - 8 lbs 1-1/2 oz - Ejectors

Never had one of these either. I've called C&H for history. I Should hear back next week.

As always, your comments are welcome.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: buckstix]
      #329394 - 15/06/19 05:36 PM

what a great combination, would be better with a scope but I know...

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: lancaster]
      #329405 - 16/06/19 08:08 AM

This is I believe to be termed a 'cape gun' - a rifle & shot gun combination!
Very versatile to say the least.
May not be a show piece matey but a honest to goodness hunter that can do anything.
I wonder what the choke is on it & if slugs could be used?
Get yourself a deer & some duck on the way home......superb!!!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #329407 - 16/06/19 11:01 AM

Quote:

This is I believe to be termed a 'cape gun' - a rifle & shot gun combination!
Very versatile to say the least.
May not be a show piece matey but a honest to goodness hunter that can do anything.
I wonder what the choke is on it & if slugs could be used?
Get yourself a deer & some duck on the way home......superb!!!

Great find and fun..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: Ripp]
      #329567 - 22/06/19 12:50 PM

Hello All,

I finally received the information about my combination gun from Cogswell and Harrison. Its nearly 105 years old. All its features are confirmed as original. Its interesting to see the error in the original ledger entry from 1914. Obviously the ledger writer was a clerk that was not very knowledgeable about rifle calibers. He transposed the 4 & the 7, listing the load as 70g cordite 240g bullet. This was corrected in the certificate because the gun's load of 40g cordite 270g bullet is marked correctly in 2 places on the barrel. A knowledgeable clerk would have known that it is impossible to get 70g cordite into a 375NE 2-1/2" case. Also of interest are the 2 notes in the original ledger that weren't mentioned in the certificate. The note near the top reads; "similar in appearance to T124 375 dbl" and the note at the bottom; "non engraved". Now I'm going to research J.C.Dragton to see if he was anyone special to have ordered such a special gun.

Today I tested the rifle barrel and had remarkable success as witnessed by the target below.

I haven't fired the 16ga shotgun barrel as of yet. Based on the pellet count listed in the ledger as 137, that density would equal a tight modified, nearing improved modified. One ounce of no. 6 shot contains 225 pellets , so 137 would be 61%. The barrel's choke measures about .020 which would be modified.

All-in-all, this is going to be a fun hunting gun this fall.

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #329569 - 22/06/19 02:59 PM

just perfect, find it remarkable that this cape gun was completed 10 days after GB enter the war we know today as the great war. nobody knows than what would happen but everybody thought it will be over at christmas.I think the british gunmaker dont get so many order anymore after august 1914 at least for such a exotic gun a cape gun was there.
a sxs combination is very common for the germanic hunter but if he had the extra money than take a drilling whenever possible. so the relative rarity of this type of guns is because of cheap drillings available everywhere after 1900. not because the sxs combination gun was bad but because the drilling was better and became affordable very quickly.
that someone buy a cape gun for hunting in britain seems me very snobbish. imho, Mister J.C. Dragton was on the way to go into the colonys, not as a hunter but as some official and need some kind of allround gun.this is a working gun without useless engravings, the rifle caliber is strong but not painful to shoot and can be used to deal with tiger and lion. at all the gun is in a very good shape showing the owner dont take it around day for day.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: lancaster]
      #332865 - 01/10/19 11:57 AM

Quote:

just perfect, ..... that someone buy a cape gun for hunting in britain seems me very snobbish. imho, Mister J.C. Dragton was on the way to go into the colonys..... the rifle caliber is strong but not painful to shoot and can be used to deal with tiger and lion. at all the gun is in a very good shape showing the owner dont take it around day for day.

Hello lancaster,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you have described it exactly!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #332880 - 02/10/19 01:12 AM

Nice gun for NA, buckstix. Were you holding 6 o'clock?
Certainly seems to want to shoot. Happy incidence when this happens with the first load tried.
45 or 46gr H4895 might be even better, if an improvement is desired.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: DarylS]
      #332885 - 02/10/19 05:51 AM

She can certainly shoot alright Buckstix, nice group to say the least!
Great that you have added in the history of this old rifle, we're just part of their journey

Edited by 93x64mm (02/10/19 05:53 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #332898 - 02/10/19 03:13 PM

Quote:

that someone buy a cape gun for hunting in britain seems me very snobbish. imho, Mister J.C. Dragton was on the way to go into the colonys, not as a hunter but as some official and need some kind of allround gun.this is a working gun without useless engravings, the rifle caliber is strong but not painful to shoot and can be used to deal with tiger and lion. at all the gun is in a very good shape showing the owner dont take it around day for day.

Sounds pretty spot on to me as well, except for the "snobbish" bit. I think 'cape guns" were more likely the poor man's choice. Usually associated with Boer farmers in Southern Africa. And usually earlier than this gun's making date. For farmers who wanted a rifle and a shotgun, but possibly could not afford one of each. OR of course wanted a versatile firearm capable of medium game and birds and small game. Pot hunters for meat. Another reason for a cape gun was for the solitary hunter. If shooting a shotgun, and in dangerous game country, what happens if one spooks a leopard, a lion, a tiger or even an elephant? A shotgun with a slug may work, a 270 gr SP or 'solid' will work better.

I think lancaster is pot on. Mr Dragton, a second or third son, of a reasonably wealthy household, is off to seek his fortune as an official in the colonial service, or a East india company or similar, perhaps as a manager in a tea company, in India, or Ceylon, or Kenya. Probably India or Ceylon. He wants a nice gun, perhaps his father has given him 40 guineas as a going away gift to buy a nice gun. He feels he will need a shotgun, and a rifle, when hunting in the Indian jungles. The 16-bore for pheasant, jungle fowl, or pea fowl. Or the multitudes of 'grouse', pigeons etc. The .375 will be ideal for sambar, chital, barasingha, boar, and if needed or he is lucky for a panther or a tiger. A gentlemen needs a decent gun if he is invited by VIPs to a shoot, so he has gone for a cape gun, by a reputable maker, but forgone the expense of engraving, which he could not afford. The wide open exotic world is opening up to him. Then WW1 start before he even picks up his gun, and instead he enlists in the Army and is killed as a young officer leading his men over the trenches of France carrying his issue Webley and blowing on his whistle. The cape gun being "snobbish" and unusual in England sits in the gun of gun racks, and passes from hand to hand, new owners over the decades, never used, or rarely used. The 16-bore gets some use, the .375 almost never. Not really a red stag calibre. Finally along with lots of other DRs, combinations and unusual guns it is sold for higher prices to the USA ...

OR it does travel to India, sees use in an officials hands on occasional shoots. When the British leave India it remains behind and sits in a gun shops collection, Indian hunters and shooters not being able to afford it or to shoot it. Then entrepreneurial Aussie buyers travel to India and buy hundreds of these guns. Bring them back to Australia. A good double rifle can be bought for $3000, a cape gun for less than a thousand. Some people buy up lots of them. The prices go up. These same persons flog them off to the USA for big profits. The cape gun gets sold to a US buyer and so on.

Fun and interesting to imagine a guns life and travels. I like the idea of putting a scroll in the butt of each gun,m recording its known history and activities over time. Perhaps in ahundred years someone will own a WJ Jeffery boxlock in .450 No.2 NE and find a 'secret' compartment, and read a scroll of how it was once owned by a braggart called NitroX, but the rifle travelled to Africa, shot two cow elephants, several water buffalo, a banteng, and scrub bulls and boars in Australia, then was used for a bison in the USA (future to come ), a moose, brown bear. And numerous more bovines. How wonderful it would be know if it WAS previously used say on Indian elephant, gaur, water buffalo, sambar, hopefully even tiger. Owned by another colonial official in India, as it is a plain jane boxlock. Or perhaps a 'loaner DR in the armoury of a Rajah, for loaning to guests for an elephant drive, or if sitting on a machan while beaters approach.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: NitroX]
      #332919 - 03/10/19 02:47 AM

buckstix- I am curious, the left barrel's firing pin looks flat on the nose with barely a radius around the edge. Is this normal for such guns?
It certainly does not seem to 'hurt' the accuracy.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Re: Cogswell & Harrison Combination Gun - 16 ga x 375-2.5" NE [Re: DarylS]
      #338559 - 01/03/20 02:27 PM

Quote:

buckstix- I am curious, the left barrel's firing pin looks flat on the nose with barely a radius around the edge. Is this normal for such guns?
It certainly does not seem to 'hurt' the accuracy.

Hello Daryl_S
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the left barrel is for the rifle and it is quite flat, but does not seem to effect function. Although this is my favorite Cape gun, it has not stopped me from purchasing others as can be seen in my recent post.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4556

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com