Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bowhunting safari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Bowhunting safari
      #33225 - 17/06/05 01:25 AM

If you plan to do some bow hunting while on an African safari what sort of gear do you take in addition to a bow? How many arrows for example? Spares? Other gear?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Bowhunting safari [Re: NitroX]
      #33747 - 24/06/05 03:20 AM

I take two dozen arrows and half a dozen broadheads and three practice tips. I just sharpen the broadheads if needed.

Other stuff: String wax, flat head screw driver, hex set, extra string silencer. That's about it.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Bowhunting safari [Re: AspenHill]
      #34752 - 17/07/05 07:54 AM

For a trip like that I'd also add a portable bow press (cable type) & an extra string/harness..........just to be safe in the event a string breaks. Something that can happen by hitting the string with a broadhead in the heat of the moment while hunting. This could cause a failure. It is cheap insurenece to be prepared.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Bowhunting safari [Re: IronBuck]
      #36153 - 20/08/05 02:13 AM

Quote Ironbuck : » I'd also add a portable bow press (cable type) & an extra string/harness..........just to be safe” :……….an excellent advice.

I’d bring a dozen of light arrows and only 5 or 6 heavy arrows for big and dangerous game.
I suffered this year with my heavy arrows for big game. There is more opportunities to shoot at birds, pigs and duikers than at any other bigger games.
Light arrows don’t fall as close as heavy ones. They permit to take less care of distance under 30 yards.
I think light arrows are good for any small game, leopard included.
The heavy ones for the roan and heavier games, lion included.
I’d rig my light arrows with light 100 gr broadheads (ie : Montec B52) and judo for the birds.
For the heavy and dangerous game 125gr is a minimum, Zwickey or Snuffer.
As one looses many arrows, the fletching must be flashy enough among the red, pink and orange colours so as not to deter games. Blue and flashy yellows are prohibited.
The usual pain in the a…. is the quiver being caught by branches and vines in the jungle. Rubber bands between the quiver and the bow act as deflectors but are very fragile. Can somebody give me an advice.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1667

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com