Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
kodiak
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/16
Loc: melbourne, victoria
Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia
      #330685 - 29/07/19 06:10 PM

Hi all, I'm tarting up my Zastava 9.3x62 and want to replace the bottom metal with something nicer, with floor plate release inside trigger guard,maybe older Mark X, FN, 1909 Argie or something like that, PM me if you have anything or know where to try.

Cheers, Kodiak

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: kodiak]
      #330699 - 30/07/19 04:04 PM

Google Grahame Spraggon
Have your money ready

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: tophet1]
      #330723 - 31/07/19 08:12 AM

Kodiak,
I got a unit which might interest you.

Check your pm's

/J

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

kodiak
.224 member

Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: Yochanan]
      #330867 - 05/08/19 08:28 PM

Hi Tophet, Graeme was the second person I asked, he didn't have anything.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #330918 - 07/08/19 09:04 PM

I have a few 1909 bottoms, but I don't think U.S. laws allow me to export them.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

kodiak
.224 member

Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: CptCurl]
      #331022 - 10/08/19 10:46 AM

Thanks Curl, the ITARS rules are a bit of a headache, they are supposed to be relaxing them but haven't as yet, hopefully one will show up locally.

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #331067 - 12/08/19 06:22 PM

1909 Arg mag too short for a pucka 9.3x62mm - at front wall of mag box. Depending on the individual Zastava action (how far it has been opened out at the front bottom lug) you can often push the front wall forward and do a neat conversion and get the approx 2mm more length in the box that a 9.3x62 really needs. Fit a straddle floorplate, weld a pad on the release and file it up and you have a nice unit, if you like the look of the large guard bow.

Beretta Aus had Swift-Blackburn units a while back, and Vardy has the Wiebe stuff. The ERA units are very expensive for what they are out here.

Clean 1909 units are fetching higher prices all the time in Oz. By the time the work mentioned above is done, you are into approximately the same region as purchasing a Wiebe etc.

The 1909 will wind up lighter than most aftermarket units I've used, though. Most people don't consider the extra ounces here and there adding up. The early FN/Interarms/Zasty hinged units are pretty light, too, if weight is an issue.

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: Juglansregia]
      #331090 - 13/08/19 06:12 AM

ZG-47 box will easily house a 9,3x62 and even longer. Problem is that it's a two piece unit. Tom Burgess used to sother or weld the box to bottom metal.

I had some 1909 floorplates and they require a lot of work. Locking lever has to be changed to weld a rear on the back, file to shape and then checker it.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

kodiak
.224 member

Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: Yochanan]
      #331130 - 13/08/19 08:32 PM

thanks Juglans, that’s good to know about the 09 internal length, also didn’t know the 9.3 Zastavas were opened up more than the other standard cals, last time I spoke to Beretta they said they wouldn’t be getting any more Blackburns so I’ll give Mr Vardy a try.

Juglansregia
.275 member

#331150 - 14/08/19 08:20 AM

The Zasty 9.3's are not opened up any more than other standard calibres. They are opened up along the lines of an FN commercial - the shortest box they did, was nominally 86mm long (they vary a bit). The 1909 box is shorter by about 2mm at the front.

I've seen a lot of 1909 boxes fitted to actions which should have an "86"mm box. You can see an air gap between the top of the front mag wall and the feed ramp. I've been hauled up on this, because it is possible to squeeze many factory 9.3mm crackers in the short box. However, Paul Mauser used the longer box, and for good reason. Also, with the short box wall hanging in mid air, there is a much compromised juncture at the feed ramp. I'd reckon if he were alive, Mauser would see it his duty to give those guilty of such, a proper good birching (haha).

Widths at the front and rear are another story, I would have to look it up or do the maths. Width at rear would be fine but at front, perhaps a beesdick tight - that being another issue entirely (that can be overcome). Pushing the front wall out, with a std floorplate you don't have much room the way the front wall shoulders are machined. Some actions, it won't work. It's possible to weld and re-form that shoulder and make it look right with a new (normally straddle) floorplate. That is only cosmetic; down that low you only need to accomodate the spring and follower of course.

Custom bottom metal is getting hard to get nowadays locally. Another option is getting a cheap but very well made FN .30-06 military box in good shape, reshaping the trigger guard and doing a hinged floorplate conversion. Hell, look at most Rigby .275's.......they often used this style of bottom metal (in an appropriate box configurtion).

kodiak
.224 member

Re: Mauser bottom metal wanted in Australia [Re: Juglansregia]
      #331167 - 14/08/19 05:54 PM

hi Juglans, there was a thread here some where, i think it was either Gryphon or Von Gruff posted about calculating mag width, I think they got the details from Olson's book, but thanks again for the info, I ended up finding an FN commercial unit locally so it all worked out in the end, thanks to all who put their 2 bobs worth in.

found the thread it was actually on the African hunting forum-

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/proper-magazine-layout.35015/

Juglansregia
.275 member

#331188 - 15/08/19 08:34 AM

For those who don't know how to do this, it's been done to death on various forums and easily researched. Some excellent info put out buy Wiebe, Wisner, Echols et al (e.g. AR Forums, which has a fairly active gunsmithing forum).There are others....on and on it goes. Not much point in ruminating.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2809

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com