Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Alexander Henry Forend

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Alexander Henry Forend
      #330655 - 28/07/19 03:29 PM

Gentlemen, I have been trying to find a definitive answer as to why the AH forend has that distinctive groove which he and Fraser were so fond of. There seems to be many different answers but nothing concrete or from anybody who actually knows and isn't just guessing. I have the AH book from Donald Dallas but I could not seem to find anything about the forend in it. Of course I could have missed it.
Any answers would be appreciated.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Alexander Henry Forend [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #330662 - 28/07/19 07:01 PM

G'Day Waidmannsheil,

Only a guess but I always assumed, it was where you placed "A Loop of Thin Rope", as a "sling" attachment point, for the firearm?

Further to this, prior to the availability of metal sling swivel mounts, and slings with hooks to suit, I assumed you placed a Loop of Rope (of just the right size Loop, or maybe a Hangmans Knot?), over the muzzle and down into this groove in the forend tip. Once in place there, and then slung over your shoulder, this loop would have the weight of the firearm on it, and with the angle of the groove in the forend tip, this combined, would hold the rope in place.

The other end of this piece of thin rope, was possibly wrapped around the "Pistol Grip" area, or some other part of the butt stock?

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Alexander Henry Forend [Re: Homer]
      #330667 - 29/07/19 12:08 AM

I tend to agree with Homer.
The majority of Alex Henry falling blocks I've seen in person, print or online do not have sling eyes on the barrel or stock so I think the tie on sling is very likely.
Of course, many rifles with the notched forend do have eyes as well so I suppose the hunter could have their choice of sling attachment.
Generally, these rifles (450s & 360s anyway)were meant for stalking in the British Isles and one wouldn't want any noisy sling swivels clacking on the barrel while approaching their quarry.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1094

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com