Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: re: New CZ 550 458 WM Failure Followup

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
DeishuAK
.224 member

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Chilkat Peninsula, Alaska
re: New CZ 550 458 WM Failure Followup
      #32948 - 12/06/05 08:32 AM

For those interested in what became of the new CZ 550 that was an abysmal failure (jammed 4 out of 5 rounds new out of the box) - I sent it back (at my expense) to the warranty service center and it was returned (uninsured) in about 10 days. The action on the returned rifle was so rough that when extracting (pulling bolt back) it would hang. Moreover, when chambering through breech, bullets were being sheared leaving little shavings in magazine and throat. The floorplate that was hung up due to improper stock fit was remedied merely by scraping out the wood around the plate. On the invoice I noticed that the time given to the rifle at the repair center was 45 minutes. Needless to say, the rifle has been returned permanently to CZ. The overall quality of this rifle was so poor I was astounded. Also, be warned, there are no cross bolts in these new 550's. Here in SE AK we actually carry our rifles as DG weapons during the spring/fall brown bear seasons. These poorly built guns have no place here. Someone suggested in a previous message that we should handle a rifle before purchasing. In the lower 48 that may be possible, but we don't have the luxury of huge gunshops here in the more isolated places of AK. I ordered this rifle based on the reputation of the earlier BRNO's, and to complement my Mauser 375 H&H. A Winchester 458 has already been purchased to fill the slot.

Edited by DeishuAK (12/06/05 08:37 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: re: New CZ 550 458 WM Failure Followup [Re: DeishuAK]
      #32960 - 12/06/05 03:36 PM

I feel for ya, brother. It was definitely a big waste of time. I guess you had a few choice words with the CZ dummy, huh?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Pottsy
.224 member

Reged: 28/05/05
Loc: Oregon Coos Bay
      #32978 - 13/06/05 09:13 AM

Could i ask why ? the Ruger never made your list

But the CZ550 did ?

I put in for a 505 gibbs in the newest vertion coming out
by CZ now i am having secound thoughts.

I am rethinking just buying a ruger in 416 Rigby and doing the convertion on it instead.

I already have a 416 rigby in a Brno but it was dads a zillion years ago and dont feel like chnaging it over.

Anyway buddy that just plain sticks

Pottsy

--------------------
Owner PA Bullet's

DeishuAK
.224 member

Reged: 01/01/05
Loc: Chilkat Peninsula, Alaska
Re: re: New CZ 550 458 WM Failure Followup [Re: Pottsy]
      #32979 - 13/06/05 09:34 AM

Pottsy,

The Ruger 77 Safari is an outstanding rifle. Many Rugers are used here for their reliability. The two most commonly encountered rifles here are the Rugers and Winchesters. I got a used Winchester Express in 458 WM on a great deal. My other option would've been Ruger. You're safe with your older BRNO in 416. Those were hard-rock rifles capable of rough conditions vis-a-vis dangerous game. That's what I was hoping for with the new CZ. See the response of a reader in the earlier post apropos my experience with CZ and be warned about the special order CZ 550's. His was an utter failure as well (I believe in 404 Jeffery?). Go with the Ruger.

JKS
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/04
Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
      #33047 - 14/06/05 02:52 PM

I like the Ruger RSM..I have a Rigby and a Lott. These rifles have good bluing, usually good to great wood and their quarter rib is fantastic. I KNOW they need a new pad and I believe you should bed them-I hate to think about splitting that nice wood!

That said any big-bore rifle needs to be tuned a bit for proper functioning. I have never had an extraction/ejection issue with mine but my Lott floorplate latch gave up the fight after 100+ rounds and both could use smoothing in the feeding department. Roger Ferrel will be attending to these issues.

I like CZs too, I have a 375 and a Rigby. But they too need tuning and do not have the better wood, bluing and quarter rib of the RSM. You get what you pay for.

How I wish for a fully tuned, good to go big-bore for production prices, ie under $2000 (especially in the sub 1500 range). For now I believe you need to pick the rifle you like best and spend the bucks with the right smith to get it right. Seek the light, Luke

John

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2273

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com