Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone for a donkey dinner?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
News
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Internet News
Anyone for a donkey dinner?
      #3298 - 12/06/03 11:51 PM

Lions' Donkey Dinner Shocks Visitors
"The Namibian"
11 June 2003

AN incident in which two British tourists witnessed what they perceived to be a "staged lion kill", has sparked outrage among conservationists and in the tourism industry.

In a letter to The Namibian, the couple wrote of their disgust at having to watch three lions hunt and kill a donkey at the IntuAfrica lodge near Mariental.

The managing director of the lodge maintains the incident was "an accident" and was not staged.

But John and Julie Gregory saw it differently.

While on a game drive, the couple were driven into a 500 hectare enclosure, where they say they saw almost no game, but were told that three lions were kept.

The Gregorys say they did see a donkey that appeared to be domesticated as it approached the vehicle.

The animal did not shy away from human contact.

Some time later the lions were discovered on top of a ridge where John Gregory noted "they appeared to be dozing, and were languid in their movements".

The lions eventually saw the donkey and began to stalk it.

"There can be little doubt, in my view, that the donkey had been introduced to the enclosure for the purpose of feeding the lions. There can equally be little doubt that, in due course, the lions would have discovered and killed the donkey," wrote Gregory.

He added that the guide began to drive the donkey towards the lioness telling it "Go on donkey, do your job".

The tourist said that in its own time the lioness brought the donkey down while the vehicle occupants (including two German tourists) watched the three lions feed on their kill for about 40 minutes.

Apparently by the time they drove away from the scene, the donkey was still alive.

Managing Director of IntuAfrica, Howard Hebbard, maintains the incident was regrettable and "happened by accident".

He vehemently denied "staging" kills for tourists and told The Namibian that the game guide in this incident "made a stupid mistake".

Rest of story

--------------------

African News Headlines at a glance daily

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? - Why not? [Re: News]
      #3301 - 13/06/03 12:12 AM

Why not?

Isn't it a bit stupid to kill the beasts, gut them, butcher them and then feed lions in captivity hunks of meat? No need for all that labour.

If these idiot tourists are for real and really care about the animals, surely it is more natural and realistic for carnivores to kill their own meat. The lions get a work out, are stimulated and eat the beast naturally, including the valuable vegetative nutrients in the gut and intestine of the prey. So needed for a carnivores balanced diet.

After an exciting kill and protein rich diet, why not a quickie before a long sleep. Hell such a strategy might even solve the Zoo "conservationists" captive breeding woes. (Perhaps for the humans as well - a bit of excitement does stimulate the drives ).

And wouldn't feeding time at a zoo be THE big attraction at a city zoo! Watch the leopard stalk and kill the goat, the mountain lion slaughter the sheep, the lion maul and feast on a cow, brown bears fishing live fish out of their cooling pond, polar bears clubbing a baby harp seal.

Blood and guts. So natural.

But we know the average modern urban greenie is "just a plastic monkey in an urban jungle". Unable to face reality. Meat comes shrink wrapped in a styrofoam tray. Vegetables come cleansed of offending dirt and manure.

And wouldn't such a strategy end the financial woes many zoos face today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? - Why not? [Re: NitroX]
      #3302 - 13/06/03 07:23 AM

Hear Hear Nitro mate,i know if i had captive predators i would feed them the same way,wouldnt a big buck roo give the lions a good workout in a pen like that.

Last time i was at Melbourne`s fantastic zoo i watched in awe of the speed and skill exhibited by the otters in catching the live fish that were bucketed into their pool, this pool has underwater viewing and funny enough its ok for otters to catch their own but not others eh?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? - Why not? [Re: gryphon]
      #3303 - 13/06/03 08:59 AM

I would have to agree. The whole Ecotourist thing is a farce to me. These people who come to Africa to experience the wild and then complain about seeing something wild are too strange for me to fathom.

Better to teach the Lions to eat Carrots and Potatoes, maybe Brussel Sprouts with Vegimate.

Pet stores around here sell live Rats and Mice to people who have Snakes as pets.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? [Re: News]
      #3305 - 13/06/03 11:04 AM

How do those tourists suppose the carnivors get fed? Perhaps the staff goes out every morning looking for road kill to bring back for them.

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
      #3310 - 13/06/03 06:43 PM

Nice to see us Brits continuing to educate and civilize the world.
Yes, these big predators in Africa can be taught to eat their greens and leave that horrible red meat alone.
And before you blood thirsty louts try and get smart, just remember, meat products in the UK are all synthetically manufactured, so no poor farm animal is murdered on our behalf.
There is at present, a new law being passed in parliament, that henceforth, it will be a criminal offence, punishable by life imprisonment, for a broadcaster to show animals being murdered by other animals on nature programmes.
We even had a programme on a 'dog charity' that had got hold of an ex-gundog, which they spent months with, re-educating and re-habilitating, so it would not chase and retrieve fellow creatures of God !!
M.
PS Take heart, Selous complained about the bleeding heart, ignorant forefathers of the modern day animal lovers, all those years ago!!

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? [Re: Mpofu]
      #3636 - 07/07/03 07:02 PM

I had one amazing experience with a feral donkey, that we wanted for leopard bait.

They must be tough critters as when I shot it with a .375, in the lungs, it just stood there. I was shocked! It took two more as I recall.

I wonder how much effort is required by lions to do in a donkey compared to wild game of the same size and weight.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

LoneStar
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/03
Loc: Texas
      #3751 - 11/07/03 05:42 AM

How could those lions? That being a canned donkey hunt and all.

--------------------
www.TexasLSO.com

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? [Re: LoneStar]
      #3754 - 11/07/03 06:00 AM

Last year here in the states there were a couple of incidences where a black bear/bears was making lunch of a fawn and the tourids attacked the bear. If I remember correctly the bear/bears were hurt rather badly by these upset tourids.
I was in Yellowstone in 1985 ( I worked in Jackson at the time) taking photos of some buffalo near one of the geysers when this tourid complained to the ranger about the buffalo not standing still for photos. I looked around and these tourids were trying to put their child on its back and it wouldn't stand still.Common sense never made it to the show for these folks.
Coues
Tourid is a combination of tourist and idiot.

LoneStar
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/03
Loc: Texas
Re: Anyone for a donkey dinner? [Re: coues]
      #3755 - 11/07/03 06:11 AM

Coues, sounds like they were going for the darwin award.

--------------------
www.TexasLSO.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2320

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com