Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A double rifle affordable for everyone?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
MickoC
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: Ripp]
      #329019 - 31/05/19 10:13 AM

Italian doubles have a lot to offer for the price.
They are not as affordable here in Australia as they are in Europe or the US .
The Aussie Dollar only buys about 70 US cents at the moment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChrisB
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/18
Loc: North Central Florida, USA
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: NitroX]
      #329536 - 21/06/19 10:37 AM

I've had my sabatti doubles for a bit now. A 9.3x74r sxs and a 470ne o/u.

I must say that I love them. At about 2/3's the price of a used Merkel or 4500$ ish, I didn't know what I would get.

They both regulate with factory or handloaded to factory spec ammo ( they don't like mikd loads and favor mid hot for regulation ).

I'm super happy with them. I like the 9.3 better than my ruger #1 in 375 h&h.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: ChrisB]
      #329538 - 21/06/19 02:37 PM

There was an Italian 12 guage double shotgun that had rifled barrels from memory or one barrel was rifled for slugs ? probably the cheapest ''double''

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: A double rifle affordable for everyone? [Re: luv2safari]
      #344718 - 01/09/20 02:24 PM

I own a Merkel in 9.3x74R AND a Baikal double rifle in 45-70.

The Merkel, IMHO, is a beautiful little rifle to shoot. It functions flawlessly and with the regulation screw to adjust the barrel, I can build any load to suit my hunting or shooting needs.

Is the $900.00 Baikal as good as the Merkel? Hell No. The stock looks and feels like a club with a wrist that is way to thick. The triggers are heavy and long in the pull. The under and over ribs are made from pressed sheet steel. The sights look like they came from an ak-47 and, its stiff as hell to break open when you manually extract the shells from the chamber.

Having said that, is it a fun gun to play with? HELL YES. The barrels can be adjusted for regulation via a jack screw on the under side mid-way down the barrel. I can use all my cast lead bullets on this gun and regulate it for each weight. I get reasonable accuracy at 100 yard off my standing bench, 1.5-2 inches. I can also load it with copper jacket bullets no problem. The gun comes with a rib you can mount a scope to. Best of all, I can take this gun out in the woods and not worry about scratching it up because it is only $900.00. And having hunted and shot deer with 45-70, i would not hesitate to use this gun for deer or moose hunting.

Using the Merkel is like dancing the waltz with a ballerina. Using the Baikal is like dancing the polka with the fat bar maid at the pub. Both are very different experiences and equally enjoyable.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com