Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Black Bear in North Carolina

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Black Bear in North Carolina
      #306028 - 06/10/17 01:53 AM

The NC Wildlife Resources website lists the big game regulations for 2017-18. I was fascinated by the fact that we now have open bear seasons in every county in the state! That's 100 counties, with a human population of 10 million or so. Just 10 years ago, bear were pretty much confined to Western NC west of I 77, and Eastern NC east of I 95, with none in the middle of the state.

Also interesting is the fact that the world record bear comes from Eastern NC - over 800 lbs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #306032 - 06/10/17 06:51 AM

Good to see that you have a healthy population of bears over your way Carpetsahib, their recovery rate is nothing short of amazing! What good game management can achieve is certainly worth crowing about.
As far as sizes go I know the Black is a smaller species than the Brown, but 800 lbs is not a small 'animal' , must have some good tucker over your way to feed them up to that point!

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: 93x64mm]
      #306035 - 06/10/17 08:53 AM

What are the opportunities for an out of state hunter?

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: 93x64mm]
      #306037 - 06/10/17 09:25 AM

Quote:

Good to see that you have a healthy population of bears over your way Carpetsahib, their recovery rate is nothing short of amazing! What good game management can achieve is certainly worth crowing about.
As far as sizes go I know the Black is a smaller species than the Brown, but 800 lbs is not a small 'animal' , must have some good tucker over your way to feed them up to that point!

In the eastern part of the state, they have access to large peanut farms. Apparently peanut butter agrees with them. In the western part of the state, where agriculture is not so extensive, they must rely on the natural "mast", which consists of acorns, hickory nuts, etc. Here a bear of 500 lbs. or so is occasionally harvested. I hear that some of them have developed a taste for Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Unfortunately, some of our less ethical hunters illegally bait bears with stale baked goods, of which KK doughnuts play a prominent role.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #306039 - 06/10/17 09:32 AM

Quote:

In both the east and west, dogs are primarily used to run bears. There are some outfitters who will work with you, but I don't have any personal knowledge of their operations.

In the west there is a lot of National Forest and Game Lands which an out-of-state hunter can use. You can do what I plan to do this year: get in the woods and loaf around, and maybe see one. I will check with my brother, who is a bear hunter, and see what I can find out for you.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#306041 - 06/10/17 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

In both the east and west, dogs are primarily used to run bears. There are some outfitters who will work with you, but I don't have any personal knowledge of their operations.

In the west there is a lot of National Forest and Game Lands which an out-of-state hunter can use. You can do what I plan to do this year: get in the woods and loaf around, and maybe see one. I will check with my brother, who is a bear hunter, and see what I can find out for you.

Thank you!
The mountain region of the western part of the state would be my first choice.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#306042 - 06/10/17 12:44 PM

In front of my house, about 4 miles away, is Celo Mountain at 6300 ft. It is the northernmost peak in the Black Mountain chain, and is about 11 miles from Mount Mitchell; this is in Yancey County. There are a lot of bears in those mountains! There are some public lands, but a lot of private holdings as well; so hunting there is a bit of a problem, unless you get with an experienced group with dogs.

I do not participate in the group hunts, preferring to stalk my own land, or that of friends.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#306045 - 06/10/17 02:16 PM

Yes, I to would prefer to not use dogs, just me and my son.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#306055 - 06/10/17 09:22 PM

Well, one thing you could do is to buy a non-resident license and hunt along the Appalachian Trail. You could start at Max Patch in Madison County, and hunt north towards Hot Springs. That would put you into the middle of the largest bear harvest region in WNC. The only caution is that the App Trail wanders between NC and TN; the way to solve that problem is to buy licenses in both states.

Another possibility is to hit the App Trail at Poplar in Mitchell County, and hike north towards Roan Mountain. That also is wild country with a lot of bears. Or start at Carvers Gap on Roan Mountain, and hike north or south. Either of these options is easier to get to than Max Patch.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

#306057 - 06/10/17 10:23 PM

Thank you Carpetsahib for the area locations, that will get me started in the right direction.
I get a Tennessee license evey year anyway so that is not a problem.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#306060 - 06/10/17 11:20 PM

Check out ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Privilege-Licenses. It looks like you would need a Non-Resident Hunting License at $80, or a 10-Day License at $60; a Bear Management E-Stamp at $10; a Bear Hunting Privilege License at $225. Total ranges between $295 to $315. Just be glad you aren't a resident of TN, GA or SC. We charge those residents much more for a license, and they return the favor with gusto!

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#329359 - 14/06/19 04:23 AM

Here are a couple of items of interest:

1. There are 100 - 200 bears living permanently in the city of Asheville, NC. Some of them panhandle downtown, or so I am told. I am not certain that they vote, but I suspect that they do.

2. The largest black bear slain in Eastern NC was 880 lbs. The largest black was taken in Manitoba, and weighed over 900 lbs., dressed weight.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#329360 - 14/06/19 04:36 AM

They are also occasionally seen in Raleigh and surrounding towns. A local TV station, WTVD, has a list of things to do when you encounter a bear. Number 1 on the list is: "Identify yourself and speak calmly". What if you just speak calmly and don't identify yourself? Does that count?

Johnny_reb
.224 member

Reged: 05/07/14
Loc: Tennessee, usa
      #331980 - 07/09/19 07:16 AM

Quote:

Thank you Carpetsahib for the area locations, that will get me started in the right direction.
I get a Tennessee license evey year anyway so that is not a problem.

What area of Tennessee do you usually hunt? There is a good population of bears in North East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. Just still hunting will have a low success rate. A lot of people that have never used dogs to hunt have a negative view of it. Not saying that would be you. If you have never used hounds it would be a good experience and definitely the best chance at a bear. You will have multiple opportunities over a few days. We’ve greed as many as 8 in a day and not unusual to tree 3-4 a day. Pm sent

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: Johnny_reb]
      #331988 - 07/09/19 08:10 AM

Johnny_reb,
Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Matt

"Enkelkinder über alles"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #331994 - 07/09/19 10:47 AM

800 to 900 pounds are absolutely GIGANTIC black bears.

There are dozens of homes in the Smithers/Houston area (BC) which have grizzly bear rugs in them. I've seen a least a dozen of them. I would estimate those bears were likely under 500 pounds for almost all of them, with a good average of 450.

Back in 1975 or 75, there was an 875 pound black bear shot on the Queen Charlotte Islands, off the coast of BC. I saw pictures of that one on a logging beam scale. HUGE!
The Islands are now called Haida-Gwaii, because of the "Haida" Indians living there.
Brown, white and blue phase of black bears are no larger nor smaller than the black ones, as far as I know. The different colour phases are mostly main-land bears and thus smaller than the huge blacks of the Eastern States, Florida, Northern Ontario and Haida Gwaii.
I have never heard of one of the "out-sized" huge black bears being one of the 'non-black' colours.
There was one I almost shot a few years back, near here, which likely would have gone over 7' squared. That's a big black bear, normally and would weigh 350 to 400 pounds.

Most dead black bears I have seen pictures of in magazines, listed as being 400 & even up to 600 pounds appeared to be 275 to 300 pound bears.

Know anyone who weighs 350 to 400 pounds? That's a big fellow/bear. A bear carries a more limb muscle, but the "size" relationship is close.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: DarylS]
      #332041 - 08/09/19 04:23 AM

Quote:

800 to 900 pounds are absolutely GIGANTIC black bears.

There are dozens of homes in the Smithers/Houston area (BC) which have grizzly bear rugs in them. I've seen a least a dozen of them. I would estimate those bears were likely under 500 pounds for almost all of them, with a good average of 450.

Back in 1975 or 75, there was an 875 pound black bear shot on the Queen Charlotte Islands, off the coast of BC. I saw pictures of that one on a logging beam scale. HUGE!
The Islands are now called Haida-Gwaii, because of the "Haida" Indians living there.
Brown, white and blue phase of black bears are no larger nor smaller than the black ones, as far as I know. The different colour phases are mostly main-land bears and thus smaller than the huge blacks of the Eastern States, Florida, Northern Ontario and Haida Gwaii.
I have never heard of one of the "out-sized" huge black bears being one of the 'non-black' colours.
There was one I almost shot a few years back, near here, which likely would have gone over 7' squared. That's a big black bear, normally and would weigh 350 to 400 pounds.

Most dead black bears I have seen pictures of in magazines, listed as being 400 & even up to 600 pounds appeared to be 275 to 300 pound bears.

Know anyone who weighs 350 to 400 pounds? That's a big fellow/bear. A bear carries a more limb muscle, but the "size" relationship is close.

AGreed.. most griz at smaller than that.. a few years back a griz was hit by a train that was in excess of 800 lbs--which is really huge for this area .. most blacks here at 300-400.. and that is big for our area..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Black Bear in North Carolina [Re: DarylS]
      #332043 - 08/09/19 04:32 AM

My brothers tell me that there are 6 or so bears on our home place. Who knows, maybe I will run into them during my peregrinations this fall.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #332050 - 08/09/19 08:02 AM

Third largest griz ever killed in Montana --830lbs..

https://crownofthecontinent.natgeotouris...9eb21b888e8d0b4

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #332051 - 08/09/19 08:04 AM

Use "enough gun"!

I kept buying black bear tags for a number of years, just in case I saw a 7 or 7 1/2'er. I finally gave up and turned that $20.00 into a whitetail tag. There are more whitetail bucks around here, even with the wolf scourge, than there are 7' to 8' black bears.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com