Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot?
      #328712 - 23/05/19 06:34 AM

Germany rifle maker Mauser is teasing on social media that a DWM-branded M98 could be on the horizon in coming days.

Based today in Isny im Allgäu in Southern Germany, the Mauser company originally joined with Ludwig Loewe and bullet maker Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik AG to form Deutschen Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken, or DWM, in the late 19th Century. The DWM conglomerate went on to produce the classic Mauser 98 series bolt-action rifles that armed not only Germany but many other countries until it was dissolved after World War II.

This week, Mauser said “The legend is coming back,” showing off images of an M98 rifle complete with DWM roll marks.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/05/21/mau...4rMzRxd_nGWMu_Y

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Ripp]
      #328713 - 23/05/19 08:07 AM

Seen such "DWM" rifles at the IWA in April. Just the same as current "Mauser 98" hunting rifles, just with different markings and finish. Complete advertising BS imho! A reboot or replica of an original that never existed in the first place. Though Ludwig Loewe / DWM made umpteen thousands of miltary rifles with excellent Mauser actions before WW1, they never made any sporting rifles themselves. They left that market to their subsidiary Mauser, Oberndorf entirely. When DWM needed sporters to go with their military contracts as presents or bribes, they either had Mauser make up some C types or even had the Plesier Mausers built on their actions by gunmakers in Zella – Mehlis. After WW1 and the Versailles so called "Peace Treaty" all rifle production by DWM ended. Granted, ex-military DWM made Mauser actions like the Argentine 1909 ones were and are used to build fine custom rifles by gunmakers worldwide, but there never were "Original DWM, Berlin, Sporting Rifles".

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: kuduae]
      #328715 - 23/05/19 08:25 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp.

Also Kuduae, for that information.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #328730 - 23/05/19 01:41 PM

Quote:

Seen such "DWM" rifles at the IWA in April. Just the same as current "Mauser 98" hunting rifles, just with different markings and finish. Complete advertising BS imho! A reboot or replica of an original that never existed in the first place. Though Ludwig Loewe / DWM made umpteen thousands of miltary rifles with excellent Mauser actions before WW1, they never made any sporting rifles themselves. They left that market to their subsidiary Mauser, Oberndorf entirely. When DWM needed sporters to go with their military contracts as presents or bribes, they either had Mauser make up some C types or even had the Plesier Mausers built on their actions by gunmakers in Zella – Mehlis. After WW1 and the Versailles so called "Peace Treaty" all rifle production by DWM ended. Granted, ex-military DWM made Mauser actions like the Argentine 1909 ones were and are used to build fine custom rifles by gunmakers worldwide, but there never were "Original DWM, Berlin, Sporting Rifles".

What a spoil sport! You would probably say dragons aren't real either! Ha ha, good info.

But I have to say, at least Mauser is trying to bring back the Mauser 98. In different forms.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: NitroX]
      #328731 - 23/05/19 01:46 PM

MAUSER TEASES DWM-BRANDED M98 RIFLE REBOOT
05/21/19 7:30 AM | by Chris Eger

DWM Mauser M98
The promised M98 DWM is a throwback of sorts to Mauser’s past (Photos: Mauser)

Germany rifle maker Mauser is teasing on social media that a DWM-branded M98 could be on the horizon in coming days.

Based today in Isny im Allgäu in Southern Germany, the Mauser company originally joined with Ludwig Loewe and bullet maker Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik AG to form Deutschen Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken, or DWM, in the late 19th Century. The DWM conglomerate went on to produce the classic Mauser 98 series bolt-action rifles that armed not only Germany but many other countries until it was dissolved after World War II.

This week, Mauser said “The legend is coming back,” showing off images of an M98 rifle complete with DWM roll marks.

DWM Mauser M98

“Today connoisseurs still appraise the legendary DWM hunting cartridges and the Mauser 98-actions of the DWM 1908- and DWM 1909-series,” says a landing page on Mauser’s website for the rifle. “Now the old alliance with Mauser is renewed and DWM is back. Stay tuned and learn more about a German legend and interesting products to come.”

DWM Mauser M98

When Mauser reformed — sans DWM — in 1950s West Germany, the company concentrated on other rifle and pistol offerings for the commercial market rather than the classic Model 98. That venerable bolt gun was only resurrected in the 1990s in limited production as a safari rifle with high-grade wood furniture in magnum chamberings such as 9.3x64mm and .416 Rigby, later adding Standard models with calibers starting at 7x57mm. No word on caliber offerings or price on the new DWM M98.

DWM Mauser M98

Mauser, whose U.S. subsidiary is based in Texas, has made significant inroads into the American hunting market in the past two years with its budget M18 series rifle. Current M98 offerings by Mauser USA are only listed as “coming soon.”

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328732 - 23/05/19 01:50 PM

Quote:

chamberings such as 9.3x64mm and .416 Rigby, later adding Standard models with calibers starting at 7x57mm. No word on caliber offerings or price on the new DWM M98.

Yeah and for the .416 and "7x57" only after the subsidiary Rigby wanted them introduced were they added to "Mauser".

Hopefully Mauser also re-adds some of the more interesting cartridge chamberings to its line up. It calibre offerings have been "rationalised" and become so very ho hum ....

Quote:

Mauser, whose U.S. subsidiary is based in Texas, has made significant inroads into the American hunting market in the past two years with its budget M18 series rifle. Current M98 offerings by Mauser USA are only listed as “coming soon.”

The M18, have to look at it again, but with the M12 probably another cheapo Blaserified Mauser ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

#328760 - 24/05/19 03:28 AM

Mauser offers their M98 luxury rifles on new made M98 actions for about 20 years now, under the original Mauser brand. They are available with true Magnum length actions in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450 Rigby.
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-magnum.html
With standard length actions in 7x57, 8x57IS, 9.3x62, .308 Win and .30-06, both in the luxury "Expert" and the extra fancy "Diplomat" grade
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-std-expert.html
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-std-diplomat.html
The new "DWM" grade seems t be nothing else than the "Expert", the action, sight bases and sling swivels in a silvery nitrate finish and plastered all over with obstrusive "DWM" logos.
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-dwm.html
BTW, the now standard grade Rigby rifles are nothing else than these "Mauser M98" rifles, just stocked and sighted to the Rigby style. Alas, the pre-war Rigbys were nothing else.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #328762 - 24/05/19 04:17 AM

if there is anything I HATE in this world than it must be silvery nitrate finish on guns

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: lancaster]
      #328763 - 24/05/19 04:25 AM

Oh- dang - I thought it was nice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: DarylS]
      #328766 - 24/05/19 06:50 AM

Based on our spring here so far, THAT is nice..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Ripp]
      #328767 - 24/05/19 07:21 AM

Yes, I have to agree with Kuduae. Unfortunately the Blaser marketing team seem to have got their hands all over this one. Had they just had the writing on the side of the action where it was on the original actions then that would vary appealing especially with the thumb slot, however plastering the rifle with the word DWM is very kitschig and childish IMO. Also having the sights in silver nitrate while the barrel is blued is pretty ordinary. Sort of like having a rifle with a stock made from an old fence paling or a stock covered in leather.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #328775 - 24/05/19 12:22 PM

Matt I agree with you.

Daryl that is a nice looking blunderbuss.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #328783 - 24/05/19 08:42 PM

Quote:

Hopefully Mauser also re-adds some of the more interesting cartridge chamberings to its line up. It calibre offerings have been "rationalised" and become so very ho hum ....

1939:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328807 - 25/05/19 04:53 PM

Quote:

Mauser offers their M98 luxury rifles on new made M98 actions for about 20 years now, under the original Mauser brand. They are available with true Magnum length actions in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450 Rigby.
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-magnum.html
With standard length actions in 7x57, 8x57IS, 9.3x62, .308 Win and .30-06, both in the luxury "Expert" and the extra fancy "Diplomat" grade
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-std-expert.html
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-std-diplomat.html
The new "DWM" grade seems t be nothing else than the "Expert", the action, sight bases and sling swivels in a silvery nitrate finish and plastered all over with obstrusive "DWM" logos.
https://www.mauser.com/en/m98/m98-dwm.html
BTW, the now standard grade Rigby rifles are nothing else than these "Mauser M98" rifles, just stocked and sighted to the Rigby style. Alas, the pre-war Rigbys were nothing else.

Thanks for the comparisons and similarities between "models".

I remember a time not very long ago when people were whining and moaning about how they wish Mauser would start making the Mauser 98 again.

Now there seems to be too many Mausers. But still whining and moaning ...

BTW the "standard Rigbys" are not "just stocked and sighted to the Rigby style". They were "stocked and barrelled" to how Mauser bosses wanted them to be. They might have been different otherwise eg less chunky forend and slimmer barrel.

Nevertheless they are very successful, in the last five years Rigby has sold pretty much to a similar level as the best five period "old Rigby" ever sold to. The real customers obviously don't just moan about it. All sorts of choices are available now there, one just has to pay for them. And many seem happy to do so.

BTW as kuduae says weren;t original pre-war Rigby's just somewhat re-refurbished Mausers?

As for these DWMs I don't see any attraction to having a large brand name plastered all over the rifle. DWM means nothing to me. But I also dislike any sort of excessive branding on a fine rifle. Ugly. OK for those that want it like that, order and buy.

I just wish the Mauser and Blaser executives would add to the increasing limited calibre chambering choices they only offer now. Meanwhile those ugly Blasers with detachable triggers have a reasonably large choice of calibre chamberings. Hopefully the L&O group oneday allows the "divisions" to compete against each other indpendently rather than crippling the non-Blaser brands.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
      #328854 - 26/05/19 08:04 PM

There are hundred thousands of sporterized DWM military rifles and a lot of custom Mausers using a formerly DWM military action.
Did we ever see a true commercial DWM rifle in days gone by ?

Where is the historical reference ?

Makes a thumb cut out without a charger hump any real sense ?

The missing charger hump looks bad and is often found on bubbaed actions.

So many only superficially laser engraved DWM logos may make sense , if you fear that they may wiped out by sheer normal use.
Not even the makers name solidly enrolled on the left side of the action.

Can´t understand the hype.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: justcurious]
      #328855 - 26/05/19 08:44 PM

This is the result of a stupid commercial approach with no respect for history.
The justification for this kind of product? Just earning more money …everything else is irrelevant.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: justcurious]
      #328856 - 26/05/19 09:32 PM

I must say that it is still easier to load cartridges rapidly even without the charger for clip loading if there is a thumb cutout than without. There is also less chance of the cartridge getting caught in the left rail and having to be manipulated into position. Again, this is mainly a help for rapid loading but also very effective for blind loading.

Matt.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #328858 - 26/05/19 11:41 PM

Quote:

The justification for this kind of product? Just earning more money …everything else is irrelevant.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Joel. Very direct and to the point. Thoughts I had without the words to Express them so well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: DarylS]
      #328875 - 27/05/19 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Joel. Very direct and to the point. Thoughts I had without the words to Express them so well.

Thanks Joel for your comments.

I do question the road Mauser is taking with the Mauser brand.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #328880 - 27/05/19 04:24 PM

The more the better. If I had a lazy $20K I'd order myself both DWM & Mauser 98's as soon as I could work out what calibers to get them in.

I really don't understand all the negative vibe about the DWM. I spent most of my adult life wishing that Mauser would start making the M98's again and now...THEY HAVE. Yahoo.

I ordered my first Rigby within a few months of hearing that Rigby were back in action. A DSB Big Game in 375 H&H was first cab off the rank and within a few months of collecting that I order my Highland Stalker in 30 cal. Interesting though....they are both homed in the same safe as my BLASER R8. And they all get along perfectly!

Now,as in the present, would have to be the best time Hunters/Gun Owners in Australia have ever had for choice for owning quality sporting firearms. Plenty of choice and great quality.

Of course we'll have to overlook the licensing/registration bullshit!

Rod

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Rod4861]
      #328882 - 27/05/19 07:13 PM

Not sure that anyone is actually complaining about Mauser making actions again rather how the DWM version is being presented, such as plastering the Word DWM all over the action and in places that they never appeared in the past. Sort of like Porsche bringing out a period remake of the famous 550 Spyder and plastering the words "Porsche Stuttgart" all over it". Sure people would be happy that the car was being remade but I bet they wouldn't be to happy about the stickers. The fact that they have gone to the trouble to make a pretty close replica of the original DWM action and then covered it with vulgar advertising is sort of strange. No other gunmaker does anything like that including themselves on their Blaser branded guns. Even the out there black guns don't have it so why do it on a gun that is more likely to be bought by someone who is conservative in taste and believes less is more.

Matt.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #328884 - 27/05/19 07:56 PM

I don't mind them. Don't want one myself. As I said earlier, I don't like Brand advertising all over anything I own.

Rod,

Great on the Rigby's I hope they do great service with you.

Same about infecting them with a Blaser though.

Ha ha, only a joke.

Back to branding. I really like some of the inserts Rigby does on their high end guns of their Rigby logo. Very well done. I however would get my logo or initials inlet like that. Then someone could be proud to own a rifle once owned by the famous "NitroX" one day - ha ha ha - and that it was probably shot at least a couple of time - ha ha ha.

Seriously I think it is obviously a Rigby, has Rigby engraved in it properly already, and would want to personalise it for me, if I went to the trouble to order and pay for such inletting or engraving. However not being able to pay for it ....

But good for the customer, the customer gets what they want.

If I wanted a genuine modern Mauser, I would go for their standard Mauser 98 offerings, and not bother with DWM. Per Kuduae they are the same anyway?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: Rod4861]
      #328886 - 27/05/19 08:04 PM

Quote:

I spent most of my adult life wishing that Mauser would start making the M98's again and now...THEY HAVE. Yahoo.

Obviously you missed something. The company is offering new made M98 rifles with a classic, consevative styling for about 20 years by now under the traditional Mauser brand. The criticism here is not against their Mauser M98 rifles, but against their offering of a pimped up, DWM branded version without any histrical relation.

dotchicco
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/16
Loc: ITALY
      #329018 - 31/05/19 07:22 AM

I am following the 98 DWM since when i read about it on mauser's website.
In my most unrestrained dreams i have imagined a big joint venture with dwm.
In Europe from Few years DWM has come back on market, with some famous calibers, and with its unique bullet, stark mantel, and some others.
So i was sure that this 98 marked DWM surely would have been chambered in some Nice calibers... 9,3x64, .404 jeffery, maybe some old glory.. Like 7x66 Vom Hofe, 9,3x72 DWM..
Instead... What an illusion.
As written by an italian magazine, this 98 Will come in .308, 30.06, 7x57 and 8x57js. Price around 13000 euro.
Neither an african caliber.. Just a commercial idea..
By the way... The Mauser 98 is a superb rifle.
I have had it in my hands few weeks ago, at Caccia Village, and it's really well done.
Doc

Edited by dotchicco (31/05/19 07:24 AM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Mauser-teases-DWM..branded- M98-rifle-reboot? [Re: dotchicco]
      #329027 - 31/05/19 08:56 PM

Quote:

In my most unrestrained dreams i have imagined a big joint venture with dwm.
In Europe from Few years DWM has come back on market, with some famous calibers, and with its unique bullet, stark mantel, and some others.

As long as we're dreaming, I'd like to see DWM revived to manufacture some of their 'obsolete' ammunition (at a reasonable price), particularly the Mannlicher Schönauer proprietary cartridges such as DWM 531.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7023

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com