Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mike378 vs Mike 375

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Mike378 vs Mike 375
      #32897 - 11/06/05 03:24 AM

mike

You MAY be able to post a message here.

Did it work?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: NitroX]
      #32898 - 11/06/05 03:34 AM

All done and perfect

Thanks John

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #33979 - 28/06/05 06:06 AM

Does this mean Mike got bigger around the midsection?

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: 500grains]
      #33998 - 28/06/05 01:10 PM

Actually I have got quite smaller and knocked a lot of weight off.

Funny thing was that about last November I knocked off all alcohol and my weight increased slightly. My tea with milk and sugar and Coke greatly increased when I stopped all the alcohol.

Mike

500grains
.416 member

#33999 - 28/06/05 01:47 PM

Mike, I probably only have about 4 ounces of alcohol per year, but I was drinking half a dozen cokes per day. Now I am down to about 2 per week. And still making progress.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34001 - 28/06/05 03:34 PM

I was always a big tea, milk and sugar drinker and I stopping alcohol just allowed more time for tea and Coke.

While the sample is small, 3 of us have been trying some experiments. I all cases we had many times tried to cut out all grain based foods and with a 100% failure rate. However, after ceasing all alcohol for about 6 weeks we had a go at the grain and it was easy. I have eaten no grain based food or potato since early January (the other 2 blokes are the same) and there has been an interesting outcome.

About March or so I noticed I was no longer posting on the AR political forum, where I was a large poster. In fact in general I no longer get into debates that don't produce outcomes for anybody.

Now while we had quite a long run on the Wby DGR thread I regard that type of thing as quite different as their a outcomes. For example I received several emails from people who did not know what the Wby custom shop was about and what they would do plus also some on "in line feeding". Basically those type of threads can be informative for the lurkers

Also since stopping grain my business has increased and I put that down to expending less energy on subjects/debates etc where there is no outcome.

By the way, I did not bother explaining to some of the emailers if they get involved with "non catologued" Wbys some of the pricing structures between Wby and dealers or importers change and the price increase is somewhat higher than the increased in recommended retail would indicate

For example, at a simple level, you could with Product Upgrade have a Wby Deluxe in 375 Wby and it will be only $39US dearer than a 300 or 340 Deluxe. But the cost at the gunshop will be much higher.

Mike

500grains
.416 member

#34033 - 29/06/05 01:32 AM

Mike,

2 summers ago I tried stopping grain and starch but my intestinal system stopped working altogether. So I try to keep grain intake moderate, and whole grain when possible.

Do you sell weatherbies?

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34034 - 29/06/05 02:48 AM

No, not at all.

In fact just the opposite. I tend to advise people to buy other than Wby unless it is the 378 based calibres because that is where Wbys value is the best.

If want a 30/378 you will be into a Synthetic Mark V (at least in Australia) easier and cheaper than converting a CZ and then getting a muzzle brake.

Things have changed somewhat with the big bore Wbys since the introduction of the CZ in 416 Rigby.

But one of the reasons I like Wby is just a personality thing between myself and the rifle. For whatever reason I am happy to take them as they are. I fact of all the Wbys I have owned I have only ever had a match grade barrel put on one of them. Also in plenty of cases I have not even bedded them. Not because they shot so wonderful but they just don't drag me dowm that road as do other rifles.

For example, if I had a Dakota there would be a Jewell trigger (assuming M70 fits) on the rifle within 5 minutes. M70 and Rem 700s for me have nearly always been limited to a few shots with the factory barrel just to see how the rifle goes and then on goes the match grade barrel and all the load testing that follows.

In short, Wbys for me have been the most relaxing rifles to own. As I said on the other thread I like them as an overall package.

But for functioning I have found the Wby and Sakos the best. Spotlight shooting tests rifles out because it is night time, very high volume of shooting and people going arse over head in the back of the truch when the driver sees a bunch of roos and accelerates. Hitting a stump is also interesting.

If I could have the action of my choice it would be a bigger version of the M70 push feed and with in line feed.

But good specimens of all the rifles are OK and we tend to find favour with those that have a basic appeal to us and fault with those that lack a basic appeal to us.

If the forums are representative then Australians tend to hold both Wby and Rem 700 in much higher regard than appears to be the case in America. Australians on this forum would be different because their is a concentration of Mauser/404/Double type shooters. But on a forum like Australian Hunting Net you would see considerable difference.

I think because the volume of shooting is much higher Australians tend to assess the shooting trip, bullet, gun as a whole thing over the shooting trip. We don't tend to carry guns loaded with the safety catch on. More common is the bolt pushed forward and the bolt handle up.

As a side note the biggest selling rifle in Australia is the Wby Vanguard. I can guarantee you that in 99% of cases when shooters discuss which rifle to buy either among themselves or a forum like Ausralian Hunting Net, then CRF would hardly be mentioned except in the light of single loading.

Leaving Mauser enthusiasts aside such as you will find on this forum the Mauser tends to be seen as junk. This probably goes back to earlier days when you used a Mauser or M17 to have a rifle made because you could not afford a M70, Rem 700 or Sako. They same thing also applies to a degree today.

Mike

500grains
.416 member

#34051 - 29/06/05 12:21 PM

Interestingly, in my local area custom Mausers, custom Springfields and custom Enfields bring very little money. Guys just don't know what they are, don't understand them, and don't want them. But Browning (ugh!), Ruger and Remington sell really well. Sako does ok. Weatherbies usually only sell to guys who are new to the sport. It is relatively rare to find a guy who has hunted with a Weatherby every year for 10 years.

But let's face it - the masses are stupid. That's why dictatorship was invernted.

The big new thing here is ultra long range big game hunting with sniper style rifles and tactical scopes. Mostly those rifles are Rem 700's because they are cheap, with a few Sako TRGs and some other stuff thrown in.

Dan

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34057 - 29/06/05 02:18 PM

Dan,

Brownings are quite well regarded out here. Ruger use to ne the big seller here but the Vanguard is cheaper.

Sako sell well out here. Where out situation is different is that price differences between the rifles on a percentage basis is different to the US because all of the rifles are suffering costs associated with import. Thus a Sako is much close to Rem 700 and M70 pricing than is the case in the US. What is interesting about pricing is how it influences peoples opinion of the rifle. Thus Americans tend to hold the Sako up in a much higher light than do Australians because for us it is not much difference in price to Rem 700 and M70.

Onbviouly where you live makes a difference because John S is always telling me that Ultras/Tacticals etc are found on the forums but not sellers in the real world. Could be some truth there since Remington discontinued the Sendero. He reckons the American market is for light guns.

High grade custom Mausers can bring good money out here in different parts of the country. A lot of Australians on this forum would fall into that area. The Mauser is also popular for the custom project but I think one of the reasons is that it makes the project cheap to kick off, especially as compared to a Pre 64 or even a used current M70.

Very few new shooters would buy Wbys in Australia or for that matter any magnum. The large majority of shooters with 7mm Rem, 300 Win, 338 Win, 375, 458 and Wbys have all been shooting for quite a while and would nearly all be reloaders.

If you were to come to Australia I would say the two big differennes you would notice is a much higher percentage of shooters are reloaders and the 30/06 in new sporting rifles (as opposed to ilitary conversions etc) in most of the country is a very small seller. Generally out here once a shooter moves beyond 270 or 308 he has moved to the "fun gun" area. Also, when the guns are similar in price the 375 would outsell the 338 by a huge margin with the BRNO and CZ leading the parade. Although M70 is getting more common since the Stainless was introduced and that will be because it is much cheaper than the wood/blued M70 375.

But generally in Australia the 223, 22/250 and 243 rule and lots of M96 6.5 X 55s. 308 would be a much bigger seller than 270 but 270 would probably outsell 308 in the dearer rifles like Sako. A 270 owner is likely to have a 22/250 and the 308 owner a 223.

We rarely see things like Dakotas or rifles from the Winchester Custom shop. I think that us because gunsmithing is cheaper out here and the H&H case stops 99% of people so the M70 or Mauser is fine and the bigger Dakota not needed. The higher level Wbys and Sauer and Blaser is different because they are not really something that the gunsmith can duplicate. The Sauer and Blaser owner tends to be more the "hunter" typ person the Wby owner tends to be the "shooter" type person. In other words he shoots the same as the M70 270 owner but spends more money aand makes more noise doing it

But as enthusiasts and I sure it is the same in the US, our shooting friends are similar. Among my shooting friends none of then own a 223, 22/250, 243 or 308. They tend to own accuracy rifles of the big case/small bore type or own 375 and up or in some cases (as I use to be) both groups of guns.

As is the case in the US the Leupold dominates the expensive scope market. The Sako would probably get the best overall rating of all guns out here. By that I mean ouit of a 100 people the Sako would have the highest percentage that would say they are good.

Dislike of Wbys is almost 100% limited to pricing of rifle and cases and muzzle blast and recoil and being seen as a waste of money when a M70 270 will get the job done and in the case of the Deluxes and custom Wbys being too pretty to take into the bush.

My own view is that the forums are not very representative of what happens with most gun ownership.

But I personally like most of the guns if they are good examples. For example I would be very happy with a set of 404 and 500 Jefferys on Mauser customs, 300 H&H and 375 H&H on custom M70 or Mausers. I like things things to match up. But I could not come at the rifle where the bolt locks into the barrel.

The ballistics/bullet size of the 375 H&H is my favourite. But where the 378 beats it is that loads around the 85 grains of Varget/4064 etc equal the 375 will still be 10 grains under top loads. The loading parameters on the 378 are just so much wider than the 375 H&H while at the same time knowing you have a turbo button on the side that turns it into a big 300 Wby.

Mike

500grains
.416 member

#34095 - 30/06/05 05:19 AM

Mike,

One time I ran into a guy in the woods who had just killed an elk with a .378 wby (Mark V). It had a brake. He let me shoot it and it nearly deafened me. But the brake was effective because the recoil was on the level of a .270 Win.

.223 is popular here for prarie dogs and coyotes. Serious coyote hunters upgrade to .243, 6mm or 25-06 for better wind bucking ability for long shots.

The most popular deer rounds in my area are .270 Win, 30-06 and 7mm mag. Most guys use the same thing for elk, but the sserious elk hunters usually go with something more powerful. The .338 win mag is quite popular for elk.

Then there are the guys who like black guns. They primarily just blast tin cans at the shooting range, and use ARs, AKs, SKSs etc. A few guys are serious about it and participate in some type of competititve urban combat shooting. Or High Power shooting.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34099 - 30/06/05 06:32 AM

Dan,

Out here 223 is widely used for pigs, roos and goats. Volume shootings has two spin offs. One is the economy of the ammo and also each animal is not so important. On a good property an Australian might well shoot more "deer" size animals than than the average American or European would shoot in a life time.

I think the 7mm Rem is at a recoil threshold for many shooters and they notice a big difference between it and the 300 Mag.

I have been on the forums since about 1998, started at AR, and one I have noticed is the 338 seems to have increased a lot. I suspect the range of light bullets could be responsible.

The other thing I have noticed is that the CZ is more commonly seen on the forums in the 30/06 size calibres than before. Earlier on most CZs on the forums were 375, 416 or 458.

When you shoot your deer do you use one of your big bangers or something in the 270 to 300 Mag area?

Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #34102 - 30/06/05 07:11 AM

Mike378

Re: On a good property an Australian might well shoot more "deer" size animals
than than the average American or European would shoot in a life time."

I think most ACTIVE Australian Shooters would shoot more animals in 2 years
than most people.

Where else can you shoot 100 roos a night (under licence) and multiple pigs,
multiple foxes etc etc.

500 Nitro

500grains
.416 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: 500Nitro]
      #34104 - 30/06/05 07:25 AM

One great thing about Oz is that you guys can shoot so much medium sized game, and in the right area, a bunch of feral cattle and donkeys too I suppose. If an American shoots 2 deer and one elk in a year, he has done well. For volume shooting we have rabbits, prarie dogs, coyotes and birds. And that's about it. But coyotes are really smart so you would have to be very good to kill 3 in a day.

For deer I use a 6.5 x 64, .270, 30-06 or 7 STW. Even at 450 yards, the benefit of the 7 STW is marginal. If I got a tactical scope and started shooting deer in the 500 to 800 yard range, I might see greater benefit from the magnum.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34107 - 30/06/05 08:04 AM

500 Nitro

I meant say one day and one night

Mike

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34109 - 30/06/05 08:22 AM

Dan,

In Australia with pigs, goats or roos you would wheel out those cannons you own first until you got sore then get the 270 out.

But this again simply highlights that the volume shooting means efficiency is not such an issue.

But what is interesting is how well you can do with 2000-2100 f/s on the flat country once you have been shooting for a day or so, you seem to get onto them. In the 458 Win (I had 3 of the M70 Push Feed super grades) I used 400 grain Speers and 70 grains of 4064, which did 2000 and also 70 grains of 3031 and our 2206 which is about the same and they did 2100 f/s

By day two "the shots fired to hits ratio" never seemed much different to me than when using 270 etc. Ditto for 39-41 grains of 2205 (H4227) and 220 Hornady flat nose in 375 which is a 2100 f/s load.

It is a great shame that we can't blend our shooting conditions and your gun laws.

Mike

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34110 - 30/06/05 09:03 AM

Dan,

I think PC uses the 650 grain Woodleigh blackpowder bullets in his 585 Nyati for roos and pigs etc loaded to 2400 or 2500.

Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

#34111 - 30/06/05 09:17 AM

Mike,

It's good practive shooting big bores off hand at smaller moving targets
for when you go after the big stuff.

It's also spectacular when you hit them - in my case 505 Gibbs and 500 Nitro

500 Nitro

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34113 - 30/06/05 09:42 AM

500 Nitro

Have you tried that 440 grain 50 cal Woodleigh blackpowder bullet. I think that is the weight.

Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

#34115 - 30/06/05 09:55 AM

Mike,

I haven't used the 440 grain but I know plenty who do / have
from .510 guns (500 Nitro, 500 BP, 500 Jeffrey)
and it absolutely flattens pigs etc - nice and expansive
but with enough weight to blow the animal aprt from the penetration/
energy.

It also has quite a flat trajectory !!!

500 Nitro

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34116 - 30/06/05 10:26 AM

500 Nitro

Years ago I thought I had stumbled onto the ultimate roo bombing load...220 Hornady flat noses in 378 but it turned out to be the most frustrating load I have ever had in any rifle.

We were playing at the range with them using reduced loads and just for fun loaded them up to full power. I can't remember the exact velocity but it was close to 3500 over the Oehler. To our total amazement the things grouped at 100 yards real well 1 to 1.5". So we tried a few more and then tried them from a clean cold barrel and then let the rifle sit for an hour or so to try one from a cold fouled barrel and it was in the group. Looking great.

Moved to the 200 yard target. Would you believe that somewhere between 100 and 200 yards they started coming apart. Some hit the target and some hit the ground. We could not see this shooting at 100 yards as the backstop is not far behind the targets.

Mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34118 - 30/06/05 11:43 AM

Gentlemen

Would you like me to move this thread to the Big Bore forum?

Let me know.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500grains
.416 member

#34340 - 05/07/05 10:53 AM

Well that sure killed the discussion.

500Nitro
.450 member

#34341 - 05/07/05 11:18 AM

NitroX,

Blowing apart Pigs with 440gn .510 diameter bullets out of 500 Jeffrey and 500 Nitro's
or 220gn Soft Nose Hornady's out of High velocity 378 Wby Magnums falls under
tips, queries & info !!!

Just not IT related !!!

I would just let the orums flow where they go - I know it's hard and it would be nice
if all discussions are where they should be but I just go with the flow so to speak.

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34343 - 05/07/05 11:26 AM

In reply to:

Poster: 500grains
Subject: Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375

Well that sure killed the discussion.

500grains,

Just trying to be helpful! i thought you might get extra people joining in if it was in another forum.

I don't care whether or not it was in the IP tips forum at all. And now it is not!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#34344 - 05/07/05 11:33 AM

In reply to:

If the forums are representative then Australians tend to hold both Wby and Rem 700 in much higher regard than appears to be the case in America. ...

As a side note the biggest selling rifle in Australia is the Wby Vanguard. I can guarantee you that in 99% of cases when shooters discuss which rifle to buy either among themselves or a forum like Ausralian Hunting Net, then CRF would hardly be mentioned except in the light of single loading.

Mike

An earlier comment you made above.

I think people buy the Rem 700 and the Wby Vanguard becauuse relatively they are cheap. Our rifles at the lower end cost more here than in the USA. Witness a $500 rifle in the USA costing A$1500 here.

If I ever bought a Weatherby chambered rifle, I would probably go for the .300 Wby. The original. Or a .240 Wby Mag in a single shot with a long barrel.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#34346 - 05/07/05 12:02 PM

John,

The Wby Vanguard is definitely price based and also Nioa are effective with the gun shops. But a Rem 700 here would be closer in price to a Sako (as a percentage) than in the US and because we have import costs associated with both rifles.

As a side note the 300 Wby is not the original as most people think. The 270 Wby was the first although the 220 Wby Rocket might have been first but never made it to factory status.

The 300 Wby is the biggest seller but contrary to popular opinion the 257 is not the number 2 seller, the number 2 is the 270 Wby. However, in custom shop wood guns I have been told the 460 is number 2 after the 300.

There is only one part of Weatherby where the 300 is not the number one seller and that is Accumarks that come from the Custom Shop and the 30/378 leads there.

As strange as it might seem there is one area where Wby runs parallel with Mauser type guns. With custom shop wood guns it is all 378, 416, 460 and 300 Wby. The 30/378 (and 338/378) is dead in the wood custom guns at Wby and the chap that runs the custom shop was telling me that one of the reasons for this is that with high cost wood custom guns people tend to go very practical when it comes to small bores which he basically defined as 338 bore and down.

You do see a similar thing thing with the expensive Mauser based custom rifles in that you have plenty in 500 Jeffery, 505 Gibbs and even wildcats like 585 Nyati. I think you would agree that none of those 3 calibres would be chosen on the basis of practicality But when you get to the smaller bores the calibres in the expensive custom Mauser and M70 based rifles tend to be very standard calibres.

Mike

bwanabloke
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
      #34355 - 05/07/05 04:35 PM

Mike 378,How much does a Weatherby safari [in walnut ]cost in Australia approx .I would like to get one in 340.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: bwanabloke]
      #34356 - 05/07/05 05:38 PM

Be about $9000 with Horsely Park Gun Shop. But it could be cheaper as sometimes Wby has specials where they have obviously made too many of a given calibre. The 375 illustrated below is an example as it is discounted quite a bit with Hendershots who are big Wby dealers in the US. A calibre like 375 H&H will have limited appeal in a Wby rifle. You could be lucky with a 340 as those Safaris will be virtually all 300, 378, 416 and 460.

They only come in French Walnut and any alterations or upgrades greatly increase the waiting period and obviously the cost.

They are a slightly different stock shape to the normal Mark V Deluxe in the comb is slightly lower to allow easy use of the open sights.

This one is a 375 H&H

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375.jpg

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375-5.jpg

http://www.hendershots.net/images/gunroom/w375-6.jpg

bwanabloke
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
      #34362 - 05/07/05 08:20 PM

ughhhhhhh ! $9000.00 !!!!! ouch ! Stan Russel in Brisbane has a 378 for $2750.00 deluxe [not safari]and a 460 for $2750.00 not sure if its a safari ,has open sights ,both are, as new .378 has nice wood .thanks for the price Mike

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Re: Mike378 vs Mike 375 [Re: bwanabloke]
      #34363 - 05/07/05 08:59 PM

The 460 sounds like a second had Deluxe that has had the Williams site added.

If you are interested in the rifle check if it is earlier model with the Pendleton Dekicker as compared to the removable Accubrake which is a KDF type muzzle brake.

The Pendleton is integral with the barrel and not very effective at all. The Pendleton is easy recognised as apart from being part of the barrel it is full of tiny little holes and expansion chamber. The two problems with the old Pendleton models is that you can work up some nice reduced loads with the 460 where a brake is not needed but because the Pendletin is integral you can't unscrew it and you still need to wear ear muffs even though the loaded is quite reduced. For full power loads the removable Accubrake is far more effective.

The Safari is a Custom Shop rifle and they are made much better than a Deluxe. They are like an entry level Custom Shop Wby. The higher levels have the top wood, skeleton grip cap etc and a different barrel.

But the shiny Wbys with inlays when taken above the standard Crown Custom or Royal Custom are quite a bit dearer than the Safari taken to the top level. A 378 would be around $14000 and a 460 about $15000 plus.

But it is all relative as that sort of money would only buy a few clothing bits and pieces and H&&H or Purdey

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5807

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com