Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: If you could only hunt one animal....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
If you could only hunt one animal....
      #3125 - 02/06/03 07:44 AM

If for some reason, for the rest of your life, you were restricted to only being able to hunt for the same species of animal every year, which one would you choose? I'd select the Pronhorn for several reasons. First, their antics out on the prarie really crack me up. Second, they are usually found in large enough numbers throughout their range, so locating them isn't too difficult. Third, they can be easily hunted on a do-it-yourself hunt. Fourth, their habitat is generally not too difficult to traverse by these ageing knees. Fifth, additional doe tags are usually available. And lastly, I find their meat to be of excellent quality when properly taken care of.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #3128 - 02/06/03 02:09 PM

Hi,
Great topic.
If I were to be limited to only one species it would have to be for Coues deer(serious hunts). Secretive, small, cunning and agile. The inhabit varied terrain and they usually aren't foun in large herds. Spot and stalk and hours of glassing and long sneaks just to get a shot.They are tasty as well.
Now if we are talking just one animal for a fun hunt and good eating it would be for the clown prince of the south west. The javelina or collard peccary. I hunted javelina as my first big game hunt when I was 12 and have been hooked completely LOL. The meat when cared for right makes great BBQ and sausage. Fun to watch and to get in close on and fun to chase.LOL.
Coues

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
      #3138 - 02/06/03 07:49 PM

At this point in my life, I would choose the Whitetail, since they are very common in the Northeast US, where I will again live one day, so filling the freezer is not hard, but collecting a trophy whitetail can be very challenging.

I have not hunted Australian game yet, so I may have a different opinion a year from now.

Lynn Miller

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #3140 - 02/06/03 09:46 PM

Tiger - Indian, Siberian or any other variety without a doubt.

One a year sounds pretty good.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: NitroX]
      #3145 - 03/06/03 05:44 AM

I should say Argali but as the bones weaken it would have to be Alaskan Brownies for me,bloody hard q`s mate.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #3146 - 03/06/03 05:46 AM

Mike416Rigby,

For North America, for me, it would have to be grizzly in the Brooks Range. My international choice would be elephant with a PH like Kai-Uwe Denker. He's producing some great bulls of late. I would also agree with NitroX about the tiger but, alas, it's only a dream.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: Miller]
      #3148 - 03/06/03 10:49 AM

Don't I know it. Hunting a big old ridge runner is probably one of huntings greatest challenges. I used to guide deer hunters up in many for several years. We got some nice ones, but we worked for them. Most of the time though, the deer won.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #3155 - 03/06/03 03:48 PM

Oops, not many Tigers in North America. Did see the topic mentioned anywhere in the world.

But in North America it would be brown or grizzly bear or bull elk. Not having hunted either can't make a choice.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: NitroX]
      #3167 - 03/06/03 11:03 PM

John,

You seem to have tigers on the brain. You are obsessed!

I tried posting an answer here yesterday but for an unknown reason it did not take.

Anyway, I am with Lynn Miller, whitetails for me. They are readily available in good quantity, just not trophy quality. They taste great and are challenging to hunt. Plus, three fill my freezer nicely for a year of good eating.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #3173 - 04/06/03 04:03 AM

How about a moose,the meat would last for months.D'ont know about the taste though.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: iqbal]
      #3176 - 04/06/03 12:08 PM

A nice, fat, pre-rut moose is excellent table fare. One of my favorites.

DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
      #3188 - 04/06/03 06:56 PM

For me it would be a toss up between the Whitetail or feral hogs, both are plentfull and fun to chase.

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

cchunter
.375 member

Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: DaveJames]
      #3194 - 04/06/03 10:44 PM

For NA it would be the Whitetail and now even more sure when lookíng at Lynns photo.

If anywhere in the world it would be thé Kudu with no doubt!

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Miller
.275 member

Why I Would Choose Whitetails... [Re: cchunter]
      #3198 - 04/06/03 11:47 PM

In addition to the reasons listed in my first post, hunting whitetail can extremely fun to hunt because of the many different methods and weapons.

You can standhunt, stillhunt, drive them, use dogs(not very sporting in my opinion), call or rattle them in, extreme long range, such as beanfields or across canyons.

Where I come from, Pennsylvania, there is this small group of derranged hunters that shoot from 600 to 1000 yds regularly across canyons, using very specialized rifles costing a small fortune and weigh as much as a small car(only joking), but 32" barrels are the norm and the gun will top the scales at 25+ lbs, firing such exotics as .30/.378, .338/378, and various .338 wildcats based on the 50BMG case. They use old navy range finders on tripods to determine the exact distance and have their Leupolds jacked up to 48X and 60X on a regular basis.

The opposite are friends of mine, who hunt with primitive weapons, such as the longbow with wooden arrows and shoot their deer inside 15 yds consisently.

So you can hunt whitetails with a handgun, shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader, latest cammed bow with carbon fibre arrows, longbow, recurve, or crossbow, and still never be "undergunned" in the field. Not many animals will give that range of hunting variety or experiences.

The terrain is just a extreme, the swamps of Florida, the deserts of Texas and Arizona, the Carolina beanfields, the canyons of Pennsylvania, the cold and bitter wilds of Upstate New York and Maine, to the flat lake country of Michigan and Minnesota.

And while you can collect a few does or spikes relatively easy for the freezer, collecting a record class buck is one of the most difficult trophies you will ever try for. Many people have hunted a lifetime to just collect the exalted 8 point, I did not have one on my wall yet.

The whitetail is a very worthy trophy to pursue.

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Why I Would Choose Whitetails... [Re: Miller]
      #3208 - 05/06/03 06:35 AM

More or less ditto for sambar Miller except for maybe the desert part,though they can handle the extreme droughts of Ramthambore (India).
I dont doubt it that W/Tail are as you say mate but isnt the fact that because there are many millions of them in the US it makes them not "THAT" difficult to obtain.Reading figures of the amounts taken in most states each year not counting the vehicle kills amounts to incredible tallies of a deer species which can be over abundant in some places resulting in some of the "not too hard to get bucks"
This is not a put down of your whitetail i too would love to hunt them but in my own honest opinion i would put a few bucks on it that the average good sambar hunter would after some grounding be capable of taking one of those 8 pointers.
My good mate in NM tells me that the Coues bucks are the real hard deer that you fella`s have there in the US and to the die hard hunters that hunt them they can be the supreme trophy for US deer hunters.No matter what the worlds deer species are all for that matter a great animal to pursue.

--------------------

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#3209 - 05/06/03 09:24 AM

Miller, where in PA do you hail from? I live out in the country between Reading and Pottstown, and have a deer camp up in Potter County near Galeton.

Miller
.275 member

Why I Would Choose Whitetails... [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #3219 - 05/06/03 06:52 PM

Gryphon,

I do not doubt that with a little direction a good sambar hunter could take a few whitetail, but a trophy class, not unless he was being guided by a local.

Here are some interesting facts and figures - These numbers are from the PA Game Commission Report - 2001 - 2002 harvest counts

Antlered Deer - 165,416
Anterless Deer - 352,113

Grand Total - 517,529

That is the official count not including roadkill which I could not find any official numbers on, but would guess to be around 10% of that figure.

Official estimate of the deer population is 1.5 million and increasing.

Here is an interesting line from the report - More than 230,000 hunters spent 1.37 million days hunting and bagged 1.28 million squirrels, making it number one in harvest for all game.

In 2001 there were 2.5 million licensed hunters, which brought revenues in excess of $35,000,000 to the Commission.

500,000+ deer sounds staggering, but an even more impressive number is the fact that on the first day of buck season, there is usually about a 1,000,000 hunters afield, and that is just in PA. I think, PA has a population of about 16 million, well over a 2,000,000 hunters, 40,000 gun dealers(more than Texas), and some 40 million guns, if my memory serves correctly. Let's just say gun control laws are not a light matter for politicians to mess with.

Hunting is very different in PA from Australia, deer season is limited, archery starts the end of October and runs to the end of November, then "buck season"(bucks only with firearms) starts and runs for 2 weeks, then doe season runs for 2 days, followed by 3 days of muzzleloader. There is a late archery season for 4 weeks after the New Year, but it is usually bitter cold and most of the bucks have dropped their racks, so not many people hunt at that time.

Whitetails are very wary, and any buck that makes it past 3 years will have learned to adapt to humans and know how to be almost impossible to find. Standhunting, tree or ground, is used almost exclusively, since stalking a whitetail is all but impossible. A big whitetail buck can run full pelt through brush that a human can barely crawl through on hands and knees.

What makes whitetail so great to hunt is the fact of their abundance, which makes hunting to fill the freezer much easier, but on the flip side trophy class deer are few and far between.

I have not hunted sambar yet, so I cannot make a true comparision, but I intend to change that in a few months.

mikeh416Rigby;

I am from Abbottstown, which straddles Beaver Creek, the county line between York and Adams. I grew up on the York County side, exactly half way between Gettysburg and York. I used hunt in Clearfield County, south of Bennezette, and in Bradford County, around Rome. I hunted around my home, since I was a local and had knew most of the farmers and had their permission to hunt on their ground.

Lynn Miller

gryphon
.450 member

#3231 - 06/06/03 06:06 AM

not unless he was being guided by a local. Miller

Hell mate i would LOVE to take up the challenge of taking one.I figure that if i sat in a bloody tree long enough i would get one haha,actually i cant sit bloody still so i would have to try my luck stalking.You know the Virginia W/Tails on Stewart Is.(NZ) are in terrible hunting country but a lot of the boys from here that have hunted them did ok on bucks by just "hunting".

--------------------

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: cchunter]
      #3259 - 07/06/03 11:18 PM

I think this needs to be done in stages. As long as I am physically able to hunt them hard my favorite game to hunt is elk. To REALLY go after them you have to be able to get to them. They live in spectacular country. I love the scenery and the solitude of hunting the high backcountry away from 90% of the other hunters.

Whitetails offer the greatest range of hunting. They are plentiful and inexpensive to hunt. I will be chasing big bucks until the plant me in the ground the day I die! They are a great game animal that I can hunt my entire life.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: IronBuck]
      #3271 - 08/06/03 03:26 PM

In NA I vote for Elk. Not only challenging but so much of the hunt is conducted in truly spectacular country. You can hunt them from Arizona to the Yukon and from the Rain Forest of Washington's Coast to 12,000 feet in Colorado. By foot or by horseback (my favorite).

Wouldn't it get a little boring sitting in a tree stand the rest of your life?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Brooks
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Nebraska
Re: If you could only hunt one animal.... [Re: mickey]
      #3288 - 09/06/03 06:09 PM

Antelope to me is the most fun animal there is to hunt. But, my choice would be Elk. Elk gets my blood flowing. Too hear one bugle and to see that magnificant 6x6 come out of the timber. There is no more magnificant or regal animal in North American in my opinion.

Brooks

--------------------
Brooks

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com