Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stevens favorite---Rook Rifles..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Stevens favorite---Rook Rifles..
      #328542 - 20/05/19 01:44 AM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blast-from-past-stevens-favorite

Rook rifles"–sometimes known as "rook and rabbit rifles"– were small-caliber, single-shot rifles popular in England for shooting small game and rooks (close relatives of our crows) both for pest control and food. Apparently, young rooks are tasty. Who knew?

Often very well-made, rook rifles were break-action, falling- or rolling-block rifles. Among the most popular were rifles built on miniature Martini actions, based on the Martini-Henry single-shot service rifle of the 1870s-80s. Rook rifles were chambered for a variety of small-game cartridges from .22 LR to .220 Rook, .297/.230 Rook, and others on up to .360, which was able to take roe deer as well as small game.

In the United States, Stevens began making the “Favorite” in 1889 (two years after they developed the .22 Long Rifle cartridge), and it was sold both here and in England where it fit right into the rook rifle market. The Favorite was made in various versions from 1889 to 1930, in .22, .25 and .32 rimfire, and it was very successful, with about a million made. Some of the models made for export were chambered for traditional British rook cartridges.

Tom’s Favorite

Here is my Stevens Favorite Model 1894 "rook rifle." It was in decent, shootable shape when I bought it, but I wanted something special. I had it refinished, added an original Stevens folding tang sight to match the factory's "Beach's Patent" folding front sight, and fitted up a case for it.

This little rifle is chambered for the now discontinued .32 Rimfire. It's a great pity that this cartridge is no longer manufactured because it's an outstanding small game round, and there are many high-grade rifles like mine languishing for want of ammunition. Some people have converted these little rifles to shoot .32 S&W Long; a very foolish thing to do, because the Favorite is a weak action and hot handloads will stress it beyond its limits. However, a company in France makes reloadable .32 Rimfire cases. I bought one of their kits and was also able to track down a few boxes of factory ammunition, loaded by CBC in the 1970s. Although Stevens made and sold the Favorite mostly in The U.S., they also did export trade in the U.K. through one Joseph Leeson, a well-known gunsmith and dealer. Leeson imported the Favorite in classic rook rifle calibers.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Stevens favorite---Rook Rifles.. [Re: Ripp]
      #328574 - 20/05/19 11:24 AM

I have two rook rifles both h&h and both in 360rook both built on two completely different actions with two different twist rates. 1in 25" and 1in50". Cant seem to get the 1in50" shoot well.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Stevens favorite---Rook Rifles.. [Re: Wayne59]
      #328589 - 20/05/19 02:38 PM

I came across a .32 RF Stevens Fav. some time ago. The bore was in horrid shape - no rifling left at all - rotted out.
I converted the block to CF and put a piece of .30 cal bl. on the action using a drill for chambering the .32 S&W short CF. I loaded, I think 1.5gr. bullseye with a 115gr. bullet. Seems to me, they were doing about 800fps.
Shot a bunch of grouse with it. Fun little gun.
At the local gun show, I managed to pick up a CF favourite block (I think) with lever.
I'll have to soak them & hope to free them up.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1369

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com