Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Outfitters for Arnhemland

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Outfitters for Arnhemland
      #32615 - 04/06/05 01:05 AM

I have a genuine interest in going after a Water Buff in Arnhemland, and would be grateful on advice from relevant experts on this forum...ie Outfitters, best time of year, and suitable duration of hunt etc..
Thanks in anticipation.
M.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland [Re: Mpofu]
      #32623 - 04/06/05 03:18 AM

Why not with Matt Graham of HA, who also posts here? He's got excellent access, John has hunted with him too. Hunts are usually 5 days duration.

Seems like August is the best time to go.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #32633 - 04/06/05 11:39 AM

I would recomend Graham Williams.
Know him personally and know that he has a good setup and caters for bow as well as rifle hunters.
He has a good reputation and a very good consession area to hunt.
http://www.biggameaustralia.com/

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #32640 - 04/06/05 03:55 PM

M.

Either of the two outfitters mentioned would be worth approaching. I am not an expert, just an enthusiast.

I have hunted with Matt Graham of Hunt Australia. Matt is also a member of NitroExpress.com but is away in the bush quite a bit of the time.

My story on these forums does a good job telling you how my hunt went, was conducted the camps etc. - Click here

Craig Boddington also hunted at Gan Gan. A story of his hunt with a .405 is - here.

Hunt Australia was one of the first outfitters in Australia and was run by Bob Penfold until this year. I believe Bob is still involved as well.

Buffalo hunting is done in Arnhemland at Gan Gan or elsewhere. Gan Gan is a true wilderness area with lots of open water, billabongs, streams, rivers etc. According to Bob before he went there most people did not think it could be hunted efficiently due to the water making land travel difficult. What Bob did was utilise more hunting 4WDs and pre-position them on the far sides of rivers. You drive to the riverbank. Cross on a boat and use a 'new' 4WD on the far side and continue hunting. The water in water buffalo is there for a reason. They like water so this is a good tactic.

The numbers of water buffalo at Gan Gan are quite amazing. They are not herd animals but they will be spotted on the open water and through the bush. It is not uncommon to see at least one 100 point bull a day. You will see many of interest each day. Also many of the buffalo do not seem to have seen humans before so are often curious. Having said that we saw a very large bull in the bush at about 200 metres and attempted to stalk him. He did NOT stick around. Most clients at Gan Gan take a good bull on the first or second day. Luck, skill and determination obviously plays a part but a head around 100 points is very achievable.

Pigs are also in residence but are more a target of opportunity. A separate pig hunting trip is worth organising to a further inland property where the numbers (and size) pigs make it a fun hunt. I haven't been there however but have heard it spoken about.

Other game could include waterfowl - ducks and magpie geese in season. A separate hunt for banteng is a great idea. Banteng is only found in the wild on the Coburg Peninsula and thereabouts. Fishing is also another pursuit and Matt was actually a fishing guide before taking up guiding on big game.

Hunt Australia also has a concession in New Caledonia for giant Javan Rusa stags. A lot of smart hunters tack one of these on as well. I definitely want to hunt New Caledonia one day.

A rifle of .375 H&H or larger is recommended. Most outfitters will also be able to load you a rifle if needed.

The camps are well laid out and comfortable. The usual - flushing toilets, hot shower, bug netted dining area, cold drinks and good food etc.

Graham Williams also has a good reputation and is worth contacting as well. He also is a member of NitroExpress.com. However I have not hunted with him so can not comment. I would hunt with him though if an opportunity arose.

Allan has provided you with a web address for him.

Generally water buffalo hunting starts about now. However the land is greener and more water is about. The season extends to October/November. It gets a lot hotter in October. I think the best months are July and August when it is cooler and the land dryer, concentrating game more.

Most outfitters operate on a five day hunt for water buffalo. If you have the means I would seriously also do a banteng hunt or a dedicated pig hunt for another 5 day period.

You will need to contact the outfitters for prices but they vary up to about US$8,000 including one buffalo trophy fee. Good Arnhemland areas attract a premium. Station hunts may be able to be hand cheaper but buffalo numbers will be thinner on the ground and finding a big trophy bull harder or not at all. There is also a fenced property with numerous species including African antelope if that is of interest.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Typical Arnhemland hunting country

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland [Re: NitroX]
      #32641 - 04/06/05 04:06 PM

Any other outfitters that visit NE.com please feel free to post a reply if you wish.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
      #32751 - 08/06/05 12:43 AM

Thanks for the info gents, both here and by PM's.
I had hoped to fit a hunt in over the X'Mas period, but have been suitably enlightened. Looks like July next year is on !
Cheers.
M

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #32801 - 09/06/05 02:05 AM

Thanks guys, I'll use this info next August .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#32820 - 09/06/05 10:47 AM

In reply to:

Poster: Mpofu
Subject: Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland

Thanks for the info gents, both here and by PM's.
I had hoped to fit a hunt in over the X'Mas period, but have been suitably enlightened. Looks like July next year is on !
Cheers.
M

You could try Xmas but it may be a bit wet and the wellingtons might be filled up a lot.

Xmas is also Cyclone (Hurricane) season.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland [Re: 470Nitro]
      #32821 - 09/06/05 10:48 AM

In reply to:

Poster: 470Nitro
Subject: Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland

Thanks guys, I'll use this info next August .

That's August 2005, or 2006?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #32850 - 10/06/05 05:10 AM

En respuesta a:

That's August 2005, or 2006?

In 2005, of course. In just a couple of months I'll be down there chasin' some buffs and pigs. in fact I used this info some time before

I'll send you the exact program when Bob send it to me, but I'll part from spain on August 15th.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Outfitters for Arnhemland [Re: 470Nitro]
      #32856 - 10/06/05 09:48 AM

I think I will up there around the 22 to 29th of August myself. But will be hunting elsewhere. If we are lucky we may be able to meet up somewhere for a drink or a meal. May be lucky when you are transferring to your pig hunt. Maybe at the station camp (if Bob or Matt gives permission).

We'll see. Yes please email me your itinery to

Nitro @ NitroExpress.com

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com