Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar!
      #327473 - 20/04/19 01:30 AM

Haven't been here on the forums for a while: nightmare house renovation took waaaay longer than planned but when it was (almost!) finished we took a break and visited the wife's niece's farm in SE Queensland.

Hoping for some cold weather was futile, it was hot as hell in late March and no stags were roaring, however the tail end of Cyclone Trevor reached down through central Qld and gave a few days of rain during which 2 mornings were cool enough to wake the stags' libido.

On the first morning I was roared at by an unseen stag in a lantana gully, so I returned a half-arsed roar with a few grunts and he immediately roared back, then began moving up the gully. Unsure whether he was coming around to challenge me, or just heading over the saddle to clear off, I hurried to the crest of the ridge and positioned myself for a possible ~60m shot through a gap in the spotted gums overlooking his most likely egress.

No sooner was I in position than a hind flitted across the gap, then another. Deciding that any stag pushing hinds was going to be worthy of a bullet, I closed the bolt and fired without hesitation when he appeared. By the time I climbed down to the saddle he was quite dead, having gone only a few steps after receiving the bullet.

While only a 4x4 (and only just! ...on account of stunted bez tines) he was a big animal and the only stag I saw with hinds in 2 weeks of hunting on-and-off.

After the rain it warmed up again and they went off the boil completely in the Cressbrook Valley, but I managed to look over four more stags, all without hinds. In the last hour of the last day I finally found the stag I should have been hunting the whole time, long story, but he will have to wait till next year. ...unless someone else gets him first!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: Marrakai]
      #327477 - 20/04/19 02:02 AM

Nice, Marrakai. Is that a Ruger International and what calibre please?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: DarylS]
      #327495 - 20/04/19 07:51 AM

Glad you got out again Marrakai, know what you mean by house renovations etc, forever on going!
Nice one for meat there mate - well done!

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #327497 - 20/04/19 08:46 AM

Nice stag , cheers Mick

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: 264]
      #327509 - 20/04/19 06:11 PM

Congratulation Marrakai.

Great to see you out in cooler climes, chasing great red stags.

Good eating.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: NitroX]
      #327530 - 21/04/19 09:38 AM

Thanks gentlemen.
The rifle is indeed a Ruger M77 MkII RSI in .308, topped with a Leupold 2-7 x 28 Ultralight compact scope. The load consists of a 150gr Sierra ProHunter at a modest 2750fps, the ADI starting load, and invariably produces pass-throughs with side-on rib-cage shots.

That rifle is very handy for the hills, although I desperately need to build a rear mount for the Rigby .275 in my gunsafe and fit the little 1920s Mignon scope I acquired a while back. The Ruger can then return to its normal role as my CPM culling rifle.

It never ceases to amaze me that a rutting stag, black with piss and absolutely stinking, can produce such good eating venison. That stag was relieved of his back-straps, rumps, leg-roasts and blades as well as the head. We had the tenderloins for dinner that evening, yumm! What we didn't eat in camp was lodged in my Dad's freezer in Brisbane.

Also shot a yearling hind for a bit of extra meat in the second week.

Back in Darwin now, flat-earth country, and already missing
the hills. The stags are probably roaring their heads off down there in the Brisbane Valley by now. Good luck to those of you heading out over the Easter break.

--------------------
Marrakai

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #327531 - 21/04/19 10:26 AM

Looks like a good hunt Marrakai. Well done.

Wait till you try some Rusa, Sambar or better yet Chittal. Now they are good chewing. Nothing wrong with the Red as long as they have been eating grass not just scrub.

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: Rule303]
      #327535 - 21/04/19 10:53 AM

Marrakai, you must surely have better teeth and fewer taste buds than me if you can eat a rutting stag :)

I've only found them good enough for sausages, salami's and dog food. I've found anything from two years old and down is just magic.I did cook a stag with the old stone method once, that was OK.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: BillG500]
      #327546 - 21/04/19 08:11 PM

You're probably just a sh!t cook, Bill...

Seriously though, the meat is very good if handled properly. I put some effort into getting the cuts off any field-shot animal and draped over a log in the shade to cool as quickly as possible. If you achieve that, the meat can hang in calico bags for several days before the first fly arrives.

I have eaten chital I shot myself, including a hind, a velvet stag and a rutting stag, and yes they are probably the best venison available. Only eaten rusa in New Caledonia, and sambar in the stew-pot in hunting camp: all are good chewing IMHO.

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #327547 - 21/04/19 08:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks gentlemen.
The rifle is indeed a Ruger M77 MkII RSI in .308, topped with a Leupold 2-7 x 28 Ultralight compact scope. The load consists of a 150gr Sierra ProHunter at a modest 2750fps, the ADI starting load, and invariably produces pass-throughs with side-on rib-cage shots.

That rifle is very handy for the hills, although I desperately need to build a rear mount for the Rigby .275 in my gunsafe and fit the little 1920s Mignon scope I acquired a while back. The Ruger can then return to its normal role as my CPM culling rifle.

I was going to post "how the mighty have fallen!" But then you explained your temporary insantiy. Only joking, I think I have seen you use a plastic stocked rifle in the past on Queensland deer.

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me that a rutting stag, black with piss and absolutely stinking, can produce such good eating venison. That stag was relieved of his back-straps, rumps, leg-roasts and blades as well as the head. We had the tenderloins for dinner that evening, yumm! What we didn't eat in camp was lodged in my Dad's freezer in Brisbane.

Also shot a yearling hind for a bit of extra meat in the second week.

If you managed to take an Engel freezer's worth back to Darwin with you, you can add venison to your buffalo and boar diet. Plus all that delicious seafood.

As for rutting stags. A stag or buck during the rut will not eat due to love sickness so will loose a lot of condition that by the end, in late April or May, may even starve to death if they can't get enough quality feed to recover. So their late rut condition may not be good eating.

Many hunters are too squeamish to deal with a stinky stag or buck so leave it to rot, only taking the antlers. If this is the reason, they shouldn't be hunting, and instead hunt before the rut or after it.

I would NEVER kill a farm buck during the rut.

One of our members in the past was an expert butcher and also expert in game and hunting. He told me about the glands in the legs of a chital and fallow buck and probably reds and other species, which will "spoil" the meat if you touch the glands and then the meat. Most hunters know how a stag will rub its nose on its "calf" muscles and then on brush, or rub the leg directly. Marking its territory. So wash your hands thoroughly if touching any glands areas. Or a dirty stinky hide. Before touching any meat. If no water, tissues and hand wash sterile cleanser.

I also can have an extreme allergic reaction to a deer. Sometimes not, somethimes I become the elephant man in appearance. Wandered why the hit and miss in the past, but maybe it is the glands? The "miss" part has been adsent more in recent times, starts with an itching wherever the deer's blood has touched. I take allergy pills now BEFORE handling deer. Seeing I have pet farmed (eating) deer, it is a bit of a problem. Worse reaction ever though was to an impala in Zimbabwe, but don't remember any reaction to any other animal.

Same for waterbuck. Many claim waterbuck venison is unedible. My PH in 2001 when I shot my waterbuck, had the staff shampoo it thoroughly back at camp before skinning it. The waxy coating spoils the meat, but if washed well off on skin before skinning and butchering, the meat is as good as most antelopes.

Great to read of your enjoying the red stag venison. And get one pre-rut and utilising it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: NitroX]
      #327878 - 29/04/19 07:38 PM

Nice work Tony......

I'll try and catch up late August if you're around?

Cheers,
Mark.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: A Queensland Red from the "pre-roar" roar! [Re: MarkR]
      #328126 - 08/05/19 01:34 PM

Mark:
Should be around, but wifey has a habit of finding cheap airfares online, and mentioned something about Cambodia and Laos the other day. Will keep you posted.

John:
Wash your mouth out with soap!
Plastic stock indeed!
Never gunna happen!!

--------------------
Marrakai

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2619

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com