Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Travel with Rifles transiting through Ethiopia to Windhoek

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Travel with Rifles transiting through Ethiopia to Windhoek
      #326567 - 29/03/19 12:47 AM

Will be travelling to Namibia and my flight choices are Air Canada to transit through Frankfurt then Johannesburg to Windhoek or, Ethiopia Airlines from Toronto to Windhoek, Namibia transiting through Addis Ababa.......

So, the Ethiopian Airlines flights are much more direct but I have no idea as to what hassles might be encountered in Ethiopia transiting through with firearms.........

Has anyone recently experienced travel on Ethiopia Airlines through Addis Ababa? Was it smooth or was it plagued with hassles? Were there any special permits required?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Travel with Rifles transiting through Ethiopia to Windhoek [Re: Postman]
      #326570 - 29/03/19 02:00 AM

Eithiopian Airlines, third world airline ... I would avoid unless necessary or very cheap.

Haven't used them so can't comment directly.

Good to find out as well if there are any time delay hassles with such an airline in Addis Adaba. Its not just a travelling with firearms issue. Once saw a Sudan Airlines flight which was 48 hours late in arriving. I was flying Kenya Airlines Cairo to London ... one of its toilets was blocked and was overflowing with shit by the end of the flight. We didn't use the toilet during the flight.

Flew on a Biman Airllines (Bangladesh) which was 36 hours late by the time it arrived - I got on in Athens, but it started in Amsterdam, then Rome, Athens, Bahrain, Mumbai, Dacca, change planes there, then onto to Bangkok. Thankfully it was always a "late" airline as catching a flight from Bangkok to Singapore later, we mixed up the flight times as 2 pm when it was actually 12 pm, arrivewd after the flight was supposed to have left, but the Biman plane was only just arriving ...

Have used numerous third world airlines over 35 years.

Sorry to fill your post with irrelevant crap.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (29/03/19 02:02 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Travel with Rifles transiting through Ethiopia to Windhoek [Re: NitroX]
      #326573 - 29/03/19 02:41 AM

Quote:

Eithiopian Airlines, third world airline ... I would avoid unless necessary or very cheap.

Haven't used them so can't comment directly.

Good to find out as well if there are any time delay hassles with such an airline in Addis Adaba. Its not just a travelling with firearms issue. Once saw a Sudan Airlines flight which was 48 hours late in arriving. I was flying Kenya Airlines Cairo to London ... one of its toilets was blocked and was overflowing with shit by the end of the flight. We didn't use the toilet during the flight.

Flew on a Biman Airllines (Bangladesh) which was 36 hours late by the time it arrived - I got on in Athens, but it started in Amsterdam, then Rome, Athens, Bahrain, Mumbai, Dacca, change planes there, then onto to Bangkok. Thankfully it was always a "late" airline as catching a flight from Bangkok to Singapore later, we mixed up the flight times as 2 pm when it was actually 12 pm, arrivewd after the flight was supposed to have left, but the Biman plane was only just arriving ...

Have used numerous third world airlines over 35 years.

Sorry to fill your post with irrelevant crap.

AGree with John..

Even if cheap, would not do it...

My only caution is the ammo.. are you taking a caliber so if they ammo doesnt show you can probably get some in Namibia?? Say 375H&H?

My last 3 trips..ammo has been an issue.. as in not showing up at all in Cameroon... to being 2 -3 days late--Kyrgyzstan..

My last trip to Turkey, I checked my luggage to Chicago..then reclaimed and went to the Turkish Air desk,, rechecked..and had them tell me how and where they wanted the ammo stored...did the same coming back .. Turkish air gave me 2 completed different ways to do it..but each time it showed with everything else.. food for thought??

My thought is going through Paris, there has to be some left green peacers there..as my friend Troy has gone through 5 times and never received the ammo..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Travel with Rifles transiting through Ethiopia to Windhoek [Re: Ripp]
      #326617 - 29/03/19 10:44 PM

I was a bit leery of Ethiopia Airlines, ergo my post........ I was hoping to bypass South Africa and the whole transit permit ordeal, but it looks like it’ll be Air Canada, Lufthansa through Frankfurt to Johannesburg, then SAA to Windhoek, then Namibia Air to Katima Mullo..... 4 planes each way and a lot of travel time........ Oh well, it is what it is.

I’ll be taking a 450 NE double and a Sako Kodiak in .375. Ammo will be in a locked container in my suitcase. Fingers crossed that it all shows up when I do........

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #326631 - 30/03/19 06:34 PM

Quote:

I was a bit leery of Ethiopia Airlines, ergo my post........ I was hoping to bypass South Africa and the whole transit permit ordeal, but it looks like it’ll be Air Canada, Lufthansa through Frankfurt to Johannesburg, then SAA to Windhoek, then Namibia Air to Katima Mullo..... 4 planes each way and a lot of travel time........ Oh well, it is what it is.

I’ll be taking a 450 NE double and a Sako Kodiak in .375. Ammo will be in a locked container in my suitcase. Fingers crossed that it all shows up when I do........

Can you go from Joberge to Kasane in Botswana and get picked up there. That's what I did on my first trip to the Caprivi and will be doing the same on my next trip. Save the mucking around in Windhoek and an possible an extra night in Windhoek.

Check some airlines fly direct to Kasane from European/Middle East countries.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #327498 - 20/04/19 11:15 AM

Quote:

Has anyone recently experienced travel on Ethiopia Airlines through Addis Ababa? Was it smooth or was it plagued with hassles? Were there any special permits required?

I flew with them from TO to Addis, then from Addis to Windhoek. They may be from the third world, but the airline is far from it. I can't comment on travelling with a firearm as my trip was booked 5 weeks out and I just used a rifle the outfitter had. Good service, good food, attractive flight attendants, on time. The toilets in the "in transit" area of the airport in Addis needed attention. I would fly with them again.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2245

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com