Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Literature, movies, art & photography

Pages: 1
Maxim
.224 member

Reged: 04/06/16
Loc: Michigan USA
Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick
      #327403 - 18/04/19 09:23 AM

Just finished reading Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick.
St. Martins Press 1977, 297 pgs.

I found it intriguing and his view of conservation even 45 years ago. Recognizing some species will eat themselves into extinction if left unregulated. He notes leopard was a major concern and if a client showed up with some sub "Big 5" caliber that was not going to do. Out came his oldy but goody .375 H&H or larger and the client spent the morning shooting at the exact yardage of the hide until they could hit a playing card at that exact yardage. After a successful hunt there would often an offer to buy the worn old .375.
Well it has been a long winter here in the northern colonies, so to the safe I go and retrieve my Whitworth .375 H&H and out back to unleash a few precious vintage Berger 300 grainers just for effect. Sitting at 50 yards rewarded me with good push in recoil, a nice cluster group, and visions of a safari that shall only be undertaken in my mind.
maxim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.500 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick [Re: Maxim]
      #327425 - 18/04/19 10:56 PM

Quote:

Just finished reading Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick.
St. Martins Press 1977, 297 pgs.

I found it intriguing and his view of conservation even 45 years ago. Recognizing some species will eat themselves into extinction if left unregulated. He notes leopard was a major concern and if a client showed up with some sub "Big 5" caliber that was not going to do. Out came his oldy but goody .375 H&H or larger and the client spent the morning shooting at the exact yardage of the hide until they could hit a playing card at that exact yardage. After a successful hunt there would often an offer to buy the worn old .375.
Well it has been a long winter here in the northern colonies, so to the safe I go and retrieve my Whitworth .375 H&H and out back to unleash a few precious vintage Berger 300 grainers just for effect. Sitting at 50 yards rewarded me with good push in recoil, a nice cluster group, and visions of a safari that shall only be undertaken in my mind.
maxim

GOOD for you... and great you got out to do some shooting..

THAT book lite a fire..desire in me I can't even describe as to wanting to be and hunt in Africa... along with the JA Hunter series...

Think its time I break it out for another read...

Have a great day

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

FlatTop45
.275 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick [Re: Ripp]
      #327434 - 19/04/19 04:52 AM

Quote: "...Sitting at 50 yards rewarded me with good push in recoil, a nice cluster group, and visions of a safari that shall only be undertaken in my mind...". Maxim

Well said sir!

Like Ripp, that book was one of the ones that led me to long for Africa and the secret, "Silent Places" of the world. My father turned me on to "Maneaters of Kumaon" by Corbett when I was a kid. He had read it when he was a boy. He told me he remembered staying up way past his bedtime one night, sitting in bed next to an open window, reading about "the maneater that moaned". He said he jumped at every sound, afraid that it was crouching just outside in the darkness, waiting to grab him.... How could I resist! Like my Dad and any other boy (or adult) who were ever fortunate enough to read that book, I absolutely loved it!

Soon after, I found Capstick's "Maneaters" and Hunter's book "Hunter" in my school library, and they led me to "Death in the Long Grass" and Capstick's "Death in the Silent Places" (both were Christmas presents from my Dad). From there, I was thoroughly hooked! Now, I have several hundred classic books on hunting from all over the world....

Those books have given me so much pleasure over the years; hunting for them, finding them, reading them for the first time and then rediscovering them....

I'm not sure that my father knew how big of a seed he had planted in me when he started me on that first book, but I strongly suspect he did!

J

Edited by FlatTop45 (19/04/19 04:55 AM)

.275 member

Reged: 25/03/17
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick [Re: FlatTop45]
      #327451 - 19/04/19 12:46 PM

Love that book. Also got me interested in Africa.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 273

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com