Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser action proper handling.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
dotchicco
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/16
Loc: ITALY
Mauser action proper handling.
      #327270 - 14/04/19 08:46 PM

Gentlemen,
A few years ago i read an interesting article on web.
It was a good description of the mauser 98 action, with a complete guide of the proper handling, like how to get the ammo chambered whit the Hammer uncocked and other good informations.
Now... I'd like to refind the article for a friend that is now opproaching to good old weapons.
Anybody can help me?
Really can't Remember any other detail...
Doc.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauser action proper handling. [Re: dotchicco]
      #327294 - 15/04/19 06:45 AM

I would think that chambering a cartridge in a Mauser with the cocking piece uncocked would not be difficult, just hold back the trigger. However, in doing this, it seems to me that you would be running a risk that the cartridge would fire, if the bolt were closed smartly, and firing a cartridge in a rifle with the breech unlocked would not be a good idea at all. (After posting this I realized that the firing pin does not fully protrude from the bolt face until the bolt handle has locked down, if the bolt is closed while simultaneously pulling the trigger, but what I have to say about carrying a live round in the chamber with the bolt closed and the striker down still goes.)

Even if the cartridge didn't fire, carrying a loaded rifle uncocked with the bolt closed would be running the risk that if the cocking piece were hit smartly, say as a result of dropping the rifle, it would discharge. The wing safety on a Mauser is about as safe anything can be, with the firing pin positively blocked, so there is no need to carry a rifle with the striker uncocked as a safety precaution.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Mauser action proper handling. [Re: dotchicco]
      #327314 - 15/04/19 06:36 PM

Quote:

how to get the ammo chambered whit the Hammer uncocked and other good informations.

That's NOT "good information" nor "proper handling of a Mauser"! Instead, it is outright dangerous. When a Mauser action is unkocked with a cartridge chambered, the firing pin rests on the primer under full spring pressure. Even a slight blow, such as setting the butt on the ground, may cause inertia to dent the primer and fire the thing. As some accidents have hppened this way, the practice was strictly forbidden by the military. As it is regarded as hazardous gun handling, it may cost your hunting and gun licenses now.

dotchicco
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/16
Loc: ITALY
Re: Mauser action proper handling. [Re: kuduae]
      #327339 - 16/04/19 10:08 AM

Thank you for the reply.
I have to say that i askedy my question in a bad way. Not accurate... My fault.
I do not intend to Carry a weapon with an ammo chambered and the striker uncocked.
I know that this is could cause an accidental shot with a simple fall.
I was just interested to refind that article for its historic value.
It was probably around 1940...
I own a pre war german manual that describes some manouvers that, nowaday, we could consider pure madness.
By the way, mine was just an historic interest.
I Will explain better next time.
Doc

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2499

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com