Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 37 rimmed in a #4 action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
FrankS
.300 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: New Iberia Louisiana
37 rimmed in a #4 action
      #325674 - 10/03/19 06:58 PM

Some of you were kind enough to dig up a print of the 37 rimmed cartridge for me. Basically it is a 303 British cartridge with the neck expanded to take .375 diameter bullets. In my case I'll be using cast bullets. I do have one question regarding the tabs on the front end of the magazine. Since I will be using a .375 or larger cast bullet what modifications do I make to the tabs. In my experience with the 303 Cartridge when adjusting the tabs too high and they hit the bolt, too low and the cartridge may not feed from the magazine into the chamber. Since some of you have done builds with the 375 2.5" cartridge did you work on the tabs to ensure proper feeding?. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 37 rimmed in a #4 action [Re: FrankS]
      #325696 - 11/03/19 06:51 AM

Hey Frank - the .375 Rimmed is a worthwile chambering for the #4 or #3, imho.
A slightly more powerful chambering would be the .375 JDJ(IIRC) using the .444 Marlin case.

However, the .375 Rimmed would be fine. When Ken Waters did this chamber on a Ruger #1(or was it a #3Ruger?) he didn't load it very high, pressure wise, as was his usual trait.

Suffice to say, in either of the Enfields, it should do at or over 2,100fps with 270's, about the same power that the 9.5x57 was loaded to, factory wise.

You will have to work on the magazine tabs due to the larger bullet diameter. Converting it to a single stack, with Delrin slabs inside, screwed from the outside, might be an idea. The screws will have to be wood-type screws with beveled heads countersunk into the mag side - V-small dia. would work, I am sure.

I see you are looking at cast bullets. A 300gr. would be super and should get anywhere up to 2,000fps with appropriate loads.

From NOE, the 284gr. and 270gr. looks great.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=52&osCsid=qj89p0h1of7uqibrtlq9adnvd0

Buffalo Arms also has some nice moulds.
https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-moulds/buffalo-arms-bullet-moulds?p=3

On top of those, the RCBS 250gr. is also a good one and shot well for me, in my .375/06IMP & .375 H&H.
http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Casting/Bullet-Moulds/Rifle/Bullet-Mould-37-250-FN-570.aspx

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ausy
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/18
Loc: Hindmarsh Island South Austral...
      #325825 - 14/03/19 09:45 AM

Hi Frank
I make a single stack insert which fits in a No1 Mk3 SMLE magazine,to take the 375-2 1/2 shell, I realize you are after a conversion for a number 4, but I am sure you could adapt my design to suit,
I still haven't mastered posting pictures on Nitro, but if you are interested send me your email address and I will send you some photos.
cheers
Darryl

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 37 rimmed in a #4 action [Re: Ausy]
      #325844 - 14/03/19 03:00 PM

Darryl - that single stack for the .374-2 1/2" sounds perfect.

Only difference I think, is the magazine latch on the #4.

--------------------
Daryl

Ausy
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/18
Loc: Hindmarsh Island South Austral...
Re: 37 rimmed in a #4 action [Re: DarylS]
      #325849 - 14/03/19 06:30 PM

Hi Daryl
that's right the No4 doesn't have the anti rattle spring like the Mk3 which makes fitting my style
of insert easier, as I have to remove the anti rattle spring on the Mk3, because that is where a small fine threaded slotted screw goes, to hold the insert securely in the magazine, the full size magazine will only hold 5 rounds of 375- 2 1/2, my next project is to make the Lee Speed style of magazine, but in doing so it will limit the rounds probably down to 3.
cheers
Darryl

FrankS
.300 member

Re: 37 rimmed in a #4 action [Re: Ausy]
      #325960 - 17/03/19 05:49 PM

Daryl.planning to do this in stages. I have a #5 action that came off a jungle carbine. Was in pretty bad shape and pretty banged up. Took the barrel off and with some silicon carbide paper all down to bare metal. What I also need is a proper twist rate for bullets from 250 to 300 grains So if someone can figure out a twist for me I'd be greatfull. Barrel twist I'm guessing should be in 1x16 or 1x18 range. The blank I have in 375 is a 1x14 twist which I think may be too fast. If the #5 action isn't sturdy due to the lightening cuts I'll have to find either a #1mkIII or a #4MKII. I have a Parker hale long branch sporter with a two groove barrel. That one was $200. Sad thing about the tabs is I cannot take the chance bending them cold so I've a small mapp torch with a really small burner tip. Would love to hear from others who have any experiences with 375 cartridges and bending the tabs. I do than all who took the time to respond to my post. Your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. Hoping to hear more. Frank

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #325962 - 17/03/19 07:43 PM

I have a couple of Lee Speeds in .375EX 2-1/2in & a couple of barrels coming, I have tried all the magazines & I have told people on here before but all seem to ignore me, the .375Ex & 8mm magazine are the same as a normal .303, other than being shorter & having a follower similar to the SMLE, the .375 works better in the later SMLE magazine when I try them, I just did it right now stuck five .375Ex into a SMLE MKIII mag put that in my Lee Speed .375Ex & loaded them from that mag into the chamber & that was with out bending any mag lips/tabs, I think it could be even better if I did a little adjusting but it worked just fine, as it has many times before !

I load most of my rounds in .303 cases blown straight & long loaded but I had 5 .375Ex rounds to try from the Cartridge Collectors meeting, don't like to do that as it marks them up a bit !

PS I'm sure the No5 action will be up to the job !

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 37 rimmed in a #4 action [Re: Sarg]
      #325982 - 18/03/19 05:01 AM

12" twist. 14" might do it as the 9.3x57's were 14" along with a lot of .358's, however 12" would cover all bullet weights and shapes.
Slower, heavier bullets require faster twists than the same bullets going faster.
14" might very well work and most definitely will not be too fast. To err on the faster line is better than to err on the slow side.

--------------------
Daryl

FrankS
.300 member

#326392 - 25/03/19 06:11 PM

Don't want to chop up the PH Long Branch sporter as it has a nice two groove bbl and I'm sure after slugging it I can get a fat enough bullet from Accurate molds. The #5 action,think jungle carbine was a real mess. Unfortunately had many dings,scratches and pitting. Finally got it all in the white and cut down the left sidewall as well as removing the charger bridge.My eyes are bad and need more optics today. And all I got with the #5 action was the action and complete bolt. So basically everything under the action will have to be bought. Daryl, actually was giving some serious thought to use a #1MKIII action as it has the classic lines of a Lee Speed action. With Springfield Sporters cloased due to the owner's illness (and I wish him well) sourcing parts leaves Liberty Tree Collectors unless any of you know some dealers who specialize in SMLE parts or the #4 series of rifles parts as well. Can't shoot the PH Long Branch sporter as yet because there is nothing touching the draws. behind the lugs where the trigger pin and mag release there is nothing touching. Acra glass will be used as I do not want to have the back of the forestock taking all the stress. have seen what can happen and repaired one and the acra glass can hide a lot of sins. Have a couple of the Sante Fe made in Japan 5 round mags and two #4 ten round mags. So at least I'm good there. Been busy doing some long over due house repairs. Nothing major, locks, faucetts and replacing the 4 outletts in the kitchen. That getting the grass cut, clearing out the fence line. And getting poison ivy to boot. Good thing I bought an older model Kubota L3800 which they don't make any more. Probably keep the barrel length at or around 22" but a little heavy. Thanks for your insights and comments. They are as usual greatly appreciated. Frank

DarylS
.700 member

#326420 - 26/03/19 04:28 AM

I try to help as much as possible.Thank you. Poison Ivy- nasty- havne't had that since a kid. Used to get it just walking past a patch, all through elementary school.
Was Potassium Permangenate purple, then brown most of the time from grade 1 through 6. Mom had me totally submerged in the tub filled with it, just my face sticking out.
What a site I was.
The #5 will work perfectly. I suspect a #3 would as well. Have an action around here with an old 8x57 M98 barrel screwed in part way. The threads are close. It's just sitting there, no reason.

--------------------
Daryl

FrankS
.300 member

#326662 - 31/03/19 05:45 PM

One could do a real horror story regarding poison ivy. When I was much younger I literally had these great pustules leaking like crazy. They stick me in a chair outside of the emergency room. Doc came out and took one look and said yep you got poison ivy. gave me prednisone pills to take lasted two weeks.Now my doc won't give me prednisone or the cortisone shot. Says it screws with my blood sugar.
slowly getting better but itches like crazy. Frank

DarylS
.700 member

#326680 - 01/04/19 04:23 AM

The only time not itching, was when submerged in that purple Potassium Permangenate.

--------------------
Daryl

FrankS
.300 member

#326963 - 07/04/19 08:04 PM

Well the poison ivy is starting to clear up but at least two to three weeks before back to normal.
Bit the bullet and went to a uniform store and bought two long sleeve work shirts and a couple bandannas. New pair of work gloves and threw away my old ball cap. And still have the fence line to clear. Gonna be fun wearing the long sleeved shirts in the hot Louisiana sun. Frank

DarylS
.700 member

#326971 - 08/04/19 02:36 AM

Best wishes to you, Frank.
Good luck with the P.I.

--------------------
Daryl

FrankS
.300 member

#327248 - 14/04/19 04:56 PM

daryl, many thanks regarding getting over the poison ivy, starting to clear up and most of the itching is about gone. Frank

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5194

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com