Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay
      #326853 - 05/04/19 05:03 PM

Link: Ebay

Text of listing:

EX. RARE LYMAN MODEL 36 MANNLICHER SCHOENAUER RIFLE SIGHT 88 COMMISSION RIFLE
Description
Presented for your consideration is this extremely rare Lyman Model 36 peep sight intended for the Mannlicher family of rifle actions. This sight is in untouched, uncleaned, as-found condition with a conservative 80-90% of the original blue finish remaining. The Lyman Model 36 is one of the most desirable of Lyman peep sights. While I am not an expert in the minutiae of Lyman sights, different variations of rifles employing the split rear receiver ring characteristic of the Mannlicher system and variations within the Mannlicher-Schoenauer family of rifles called for different variations of the Lyman Model 36 peep sight. I don't think Lyman assigned specific model numbers to all of these variations, but instead lumped them under the Model 36 designation. Lyman did letter code their sights and this one has the code "M H" stamped on the reverse of the scale. I know for certain that this sight is one rare bird. I removed this sight from a WWI bringback Gewehr 88 Commission Carbine. Every other Lyman Model 36 I have encountered is configured differently either for use on the Greek 1903, early M-S rifles and carbines, etc. Study the photos carefully and compare them to other Lyman Model 36 peep sights and you will see what I mean. If someone says Lyman didn't make one for the Commission Rifle/Carbine I would beg to differ. I'm away from my arsenal at the moment, but the carbine was not altered (other than some wood removal) to accommodate this sight. Compare the bolt stop of a Commission Rifle/Carbine which this part will replace and you will see what I mean.
The sight itself is in superb condition with 80-90% of the original finish being present. Mechanically, the sight is in perfect working order. The small aperture disc is present and moves freely as does the action of the spring loaded peep sight arm. There is some minor buggering on two of the small auxiliary screws and I believe the head of the lever screw is missing, but any competent fellow could dress that up to the point you could not tell that it had been done. To be honest I've seen other Lyman 36 sights with this same nub on the lever post. Maybe it was made that way as the machining marks and finish don't indicate a separation there indicating a screw hole. Regardless, the Lyman collectors will know if this had a screw head over the lever or not. Markings on the scale include the Lyman "leaping deer" trademark, "LYMAN REG. U. S. PAT. OFF." and "PAT FEB 20. 12." The bottom of the scale on the inside is marked with two letters: an "M" and and "H." This was Lyman's coding system for their various sights. I haven't found a list which lists the "MH" code. All told this is an extremely rare sight that would compliment ANY collection of Lyman sights and would be a MUST HAVE if you own a vintage GEW 88 rifle or carbine reconfigured as a sporter or are working on a sporter build of a GEW 88. Rare material here. Please see my other auctions for additional items that might interest you from Brother Rabbit's hutch!

Photos:

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #326854 - 05/04/19 05:17 PM

Here's one on a Mannlicher Haenel: Gun Digest

Another:

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #326855 - 05/04/19 06:28 PM

What a lovely piece of kit Rothhammer!
Sadly nothing like this is available today, just plain ol' fashioned class!

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay [Re: 93x64mm]
      #326857 - 05/04/19 08:17 PM

Quote:

What a lovely piece of kit Rothhammer!
Sadly nothing like this is available today, just plain ol' fashioned class!

Indeed.

The Lyman 36 isn't mine, it's an Ebay listing. Current bid is $93.00 USD.

My M1910 takedown has one of these, factory installed:

Here's another vintage option:

Here's an interesting nine year old thread from a reputable 'site: NitroExpressForums

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #326861 - 05/04/19 11:49 PM

That Lyman 36 sight on ebay is useable too on any turnbolt Mannlicher and old Mannlicher – Schoenauer action, models 1900 to 1910. You will have to cut the M88 specific ejector activating finger off the front of the bolt stop. All other dimensions are the same.

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay [Re: kuduae]
      #326870 - 06/04/19 02:25 AM

These are very nice sights.

Some 20 +/- years ago, there was a write-up in Rifle (I believe) about the Lyman 36 and there was a gun shop that was reproducing them. By the time I was able to contact them, they had sold the few they made and were not reproducing them.

It seems like a shop with CAD controlled mills and lathes could produce these but they may not be enough of a demand.

--------------------
RB

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay [Re: 85lc]
      #326908 - 06/04/19 09:35 PM

Lyman rear sights from the '39 Stoeger:

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Lyman 36 from Gewehr 88 'Commission' on Ebay [Re: 85lc]
      #326948 - 07/04/19 08:31 AM

Quote:

These are very nice sights.

Some 20 +/- years ago, there was a write-up in Rifle (I believe) about the Lyman 36 and there was a gun shop that was reproducing them. By the time I was able to contact them, they had sold the few they made and were not reproducing them.

It seems like a shop with CAD controlled mills and lathes could produce these but they may not be enough of a demand.

Bloody shame isn't it!
True workmanship to produce these fine little items

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4468

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com