Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .333 cal barrel. FS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
.333 cal barrel. FS
      #326585 - 29/03/19 04:35 AM

Jeffery barrel .333cal. London proofed. New. Never fired or mounted since proofhouse. 28" long.

7groove metford rifling. Contour copied from an original Jeffery Model 1908 owned by David Little(Kynochs)
Never to be made again. Once of a life time.

Price: US$1000 + shipping

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: .333 cal barrel. FS [Re: rigbymauser]
      #326596 - 29/03/19 11:10 AM

Why Metford rifling in a 333?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: .333 cal barrel. FS [Re: Huvius]
      #326614 - 29/03/19 06:58 PM

Quote:

Why Metford rifling in a 333?

Charles Newton walks into a New York gunstore(retailer for Jeffery & Co) in 1911, picks up a .333 rifle and describe the rifling as Metford pattern rifling.(Read Bruce Jennings book `Newton Father of High velocity`)

Background.

MY facination for the .333Jeffery started way back in late 1970s reading Cartridges of the World. That cartridge with its long heavy bullet.

Later in the early 2000s I still had the etching for the cartridge but it wasn`t until 2002 I set foreward to realize the dream. I found the info posted initially here and from there I spended over $1000 in phonecalls to call just about every barrelmaker in the world who could make me such barrel.

Most barrelmakers wouldn`t make .333cal at all and the few who could take an order couldn`t say a time of delivery. When I asked about a segmental rifling profile everybody gave up.
Then I spoke a guy up from Holland & Holland who knew of a guy in southern England whom had goats and geese in his workshop who made all kinds of funny stuff nobody else did or could. His name was Arthur Smith form Colchester. Here I got to speak with an interesting guy who immediately thought the idea was challenging enough to he could be stimulated professionally. At that time Artur had David Littles .333Jeffery(Kynoch) in stock and he could duplicate the profile. 2 years later I had my barrel + a sparebarrel I had ordered.

So this barrel is rare and unique in its own way. Tiny price for the real McCoy...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com