Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Literature, movies, art & photography

Pages: 1
Heelerau
.275 member

Reged: 31/01/17
Loc: Australia
William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure
      #324998 - 22/02/19 08:45 AM

I have just ordered a reprint of the above. We had an original copy I loaned someone when I was in my early 20's, I never got it back. I remember reading it as a kid, even had notes in pencil written in it by the original owner. His son had given it to my father, the same person gave me a lovely H and H .500 BP single rifle that I later swapped for a swamped barrel long rifle.
I am looking forward to re reading this book. They were tough lads those early Victorian hunters. I think he died in about 1903 as a ver old man. Abe Books carry both originals and reprints of this book.

Edited by Heelerau (23/02/19 08:04 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure [Re: Heelerau]
      #325002 - 22/02/19 10:40 AM

Heelerau thanks for posting. May have to track a copy down.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure [Re: Rule303]
      #325032 - 23/02/19 05:30 AM

I've got a copy. Haven't read it for a decade or two or more.

I remember thinking they used a lot of shots to kill game animals. And often lost them as well.

Part of a library of African hunting books put out by Books of Rhodesia or Books of Zimbabwe or some such. Will have to read a lot fo them again one day. Better than reading inane facebook posts.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Heelerau
.275 member

Re: William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure [Re: NitroX]
      #325048 - 23/02/19 08:01 AM

They did often use a lot of shots to kill game, the early guns were not quite up to it, and I guess the hunters were still working out the best spot to place their shots. My lost copy came from Anlaby near Kapunda and had H H Dutton on a sticker in the fly leaf. Old Squire Dutton like Sir Richard Hawker of Bungarees father went on an African safari. I remember visiting Bungaree and seeing in the great pool room zulu shields, assegais knobkerrys and a massive miquelette north African rifle. I am originally from Hughes Park, Watervale where my late father was the manager. Dad was the overseer at Anlaby in the 50's and went to school with John Dutton.

--------------------
Keep your horse well shod and your powder dry !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #325060 - 23/02/19 01:48 PM

That's neat.

I have hunted on Bungaree at least a couple of times. And Anama next door more than a few times. Anama also used to be part of Bungaree in the past. Never seen the trophy and pool room though. Hopefully it is still in that condition. They used to be offering "farm stays" type accomodation on Bungaree, and may still do so. Then maybe a special request might get a person access. I haven't been on either for some decade or two. My guess is the next generation are now in charge.

Same with Watervalley. Hunted there as well two or three times. Was only thinking of whether it is still possible last week. In case a certain visitor ever comes down to SA. Guided a German acquaintance once on there, hunted myself and also with an Austrian friend another time. Some twits messed up the casual hunter access, shot a trophy, claimed he had shot nothing, so paid no trophy fees, then wrote a hero story in a shooting magazine about it. Owner saw the story. Messed up access for non outfitters. However I hope I still might have access. Won't know till I ask.

And I may be hunting/culling foxes on Anlaby next weekend. It is one possible property that weekend has for fox drives. A group of guys walks with shotguns in a line driving and shooting foxes. Another line of guys with shotguns acts as blockers. Anlaby is meant to be where the first drive is started. Not sure if I have been on there in the past. The property recently sold and changed hands again.

I hope to be able to participate in the fox drives. I have a very bad right shoulder at the moment, with the pain extending to the biceps to the wrist as well. Have to try shooting a shotgun from the shoulder to see how it goes. Having problems with one's right shoulder is not ideal for a shooter!

Oops I see you said Watervale, not Watervalley. I used to sell grapes to a winery based near Watervale, Kilikanoon.

Are you still located nearby? We should get together one day for a drink and a chat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Heelerau
.275 member

Re: William Charles Baldwin- African Hunting and Adventure [Re: NitroX]
      #325168 - 25/02/19 09:51 PM

I now live in WA, have done for 30 years but I see my mother who lives in Willunga. We should catch up when I am over next PM me you details, I don't send rubbish emails. Sally and George are running farm stays, even Hughes Park WaterVale with young Andrew Duncan and his wife letting out one of the workmanship cottages. I still have and shoot a pat 53 contract Enfield 3rd model that was found in the station store room and, it was cleaned up by the sons of the head trustee and given to my mother. She used to put it in my bed when I was little and often sick. It and Danial Boone series started me on muzzle loaders at about the age of 12!
I jackarooed on Cortina Station and spent time fencing out at Watervalley for Tom Brinkworth. There were no deer at that stage but I did get a lot of kangaroos with my PH Navy rifle which I also still have and shoot.

cheers

Gordon

--------------------

Heelerau
.275 member

#326483 - 27/03/19 09:01 AM

My copy of the above arrive the other day, am now re reading it, a great yarn !

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 251

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com