Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Close call today.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Close call today.
      #32632 - 04/06/05 10:31 AM

I just had a close call with a real dangerous animal ,the stupid gun owner. I was in the gunshop buying powder when someone came in and said his licence had expired ,so he was handing his guns into the shop until his licence arrives. He then dragged his rifles out of their soft gun cases and layed them on the counter with the barrels pointing in my direction. While he was talking to the shop owner ,his fingers were fiddling with the triggers. The shop owner told him he shouldnt leave the bolts in while traveling with the guns so he went to remove the bolt for him. As he removed each bolt ,out popped live rounds.
It worked out that he had kept these guns loaded and cocked for a few years ,laying around the house and travelling around in the back of the car. Safeties off as well. After he removed the rounds ,the shop owner recocked the bolt to check and yes they would have fired.
I,m just glad the triggers on the guns pointing at me were not real light.
When the shop owner asked him what he knew about gun safety ,we got a blank stare and said What do you mean?
Are their many dickheads like this out there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Close call today. [Re: cr500]
      #32635 - 04/06/05 12:36 PM

Dude, dickheads like this are all over the world. Just think of a somebody new in your hunting camp that was vouched for by one of your buddies that would wave the rifle all around camp with a round in the chamber and finger on the trigger. Think of all the dummies in most gunstores all accross the world that when they shoulder a longgun or a handgun they point at your head. Shit like this happens all the time. It's a miracle that nobody has been killed over shit like this. In the hunting camp incident, ALL the camp hunters chambered their guns, got the drop on the dummy and took his gun away from him. The guy who vouched for him had to leave camp with him ten minutes later and was banned from associated with anybody for any reason (range get-togethers, BBQ's at different homes, etc. BTW, it was his wife's cousin).

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
      #32636 - 04/06/05 12:54 PM

Yes, there are that many morons out there.

The most notable idiot I remember was the one at a range in Houston who pulled his loaded .30-06 out of the trunk (boot) of his car at the range using the muzzle as a convenient handle. I suspect the casket was closed at his funeral and I'll skip the details why in case anyone is reading this while having dinner.

Richard.

Stonewall
.224 member

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada
      #33790 - 24/06/05 07:14 PM

It happens more often than you think.I had exactly the same thing happen at a gunshop except I was the one to pull the bolts..And the guy had kids around also.His responce was that they were not usefull unless loaded.I actually tried to talk to him but I don't think he understood.I do wonder what happened later.We had open bolts on the shelf display and the first thing that we did was open and check anything .We never had a problem but were on top of safety at all times.
A good friend was working in a gun shop across the street from a bank.They had a second hand Savage single shot 22-250 that just came in .He took it off the rack and pointed it a the bank sign.Then he opened the bolt as a matter of habbit . Out came a live round and he just looked at me with big eyes.Not a word was said !I'm sure he remembers this much better than I.
I enjoy going to the range and shooting bench rest guns.If its the normal people shooting I feel safe but a stranger still makes me nervous.
Glenn

Edited by Stonewall (24/06/05 07:20 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com