Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Guild rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Rohermoker
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/15
Loc: minnesota, USA
Guild rifle
      #326309 - 24/03/19 01:08 AM

I have an 8x57 Guild rifle with no proofs, I have 2-9x57mm'that have been proofed in the late 20's. Is it common to see these with no proofs? I suspect it may be a post war rifle as it has a flat plastic but plate. I shoot mostly cast bullets, and have shot "full-house" jacket bullets, but am getting a bot worried that it may not be safe. It does have a serial #11 on the barrel and bolt, but the small ring receiver has been scrubbed except for the occasional number or letter mark.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Guild rifle [Re: Rohermoker]
      #326317 - 24/03/19 06:46 AM

no, a 8x57 with no proof is not common

pictures help

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Guild rifle [Re: lancaster]
      #326322 - 24/03/19 09:24 AM

I also have an unproofed 8x57mm rifle. It is a WWI Kar.98a that was sporterized probably between wars. All markings have been scrubbed including serial numbers. It was fitted to a Suhl style stock with pancaked cheek piece. A previous owner poorly fitted an Oberdorf style magazine release and I added a period Hensholdt Wexlar scope using detachable mounts made by Recknagle. I also added a triple leaf express rear sight and ramp front sight. With proper handloads it will. at 100 yards, put five rounds into a group that I can cover with a 50 cent piece.

Vlad

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Guild rifle [Re: Vladymere]
      #326352 - 25/03/19 03:28 AM

Here in the western part of Germany 8x57IS Mausers without proofmarks are quite often seen. They are of two different periods, both post-war. After WW1 many military rifles ended up in now civilian hands. The conditions of the Versailles treaty demanded these guns to be surrendered to the government and destroyed, but sporting guns were not affected. So many of those M98 rifles and carbines were sporterised instead of surrendered. Usually all military markings were scrubbed off, sights were changed and either new stocks fitted or the original stocks altered. Nobody cared then to have these used military rifles civilian reproofed. Alas, Germany was in revolutionary turmoil and some proofhouses closed. A similar situation existed post-WW2. The landscape was littered with thrown away K98ks. Many of these were retrieved from the bushes, sporterised and restocked by unemployed gunsmithes and peddled for food or other conveniences to mostly GIs. Such rifles are known as "Cigarette Mausers" after the favorite barter in America. About 1950, when gun control relaxed and West Germans were allowed again to own and use hunting rifles, such cigarette Mausers were often the first hunting equipment. Older guns resurrected from the most unlikely hidings. Some of the old guns had to be restocked because rot. But proof laws and proofhouses were not yet firmly established. So noone cared about proof.
From the description as a scrubbed small ring Mauser action I suspect this rifle to be a sporterised WW1 98AZ carbine, maybe restocked again after WW2.

Rohermoker
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/15
Loc: minnesota, USA
Re: Guild rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #327155 - 11/04/19 11:14 PM

Thanks for the reply's, I fell l better about using "full-house" loads.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com