Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ?
      #324723 - 15/02/19 06:01 PM

I'm in the process of booking a trophy moose hunt and have to decide soon as to whether I go back to Alaska for a 3rd crack at an Alaskan/Yukon moose or head to Northern BC (almost in Yukon) for a crack at a Canadian. Prices, surprisingly, are about the same. (I wish the Canadian knew how to charge in CAD)Chances of success seem better in BC. Both hunts are fly in. Alaskan on foot. Canadian on horse and foot. Heads saying BC, heart says ALASKA. Seems both areas have moose with heads about the same size, 55 to 60 inches.

Any feed back from those who have hunted there and or live there would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rod

Edited by Rod4861 (15/02/19 06:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: Rod4861]
      #324724 - 15/02/19 07:59 PM

I live in Alaska and have taken a bull each year except for last year for the last 15 years. Large moose aren't as easy to find in Alaska as TV and YouTube makes it look. Some places have a lot some almost none. Would seem to me that with horses you can cover a lot more ground if needed.

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: casper50]
      #324725 - 15/02/19 09:27 PM

Good point about the horses. Do you use horses for your moose hunting ? and are you hunting in a 4 brow tine 50" minimum for legal bulls area? I've seen plenty of moose during my three Alaskan hunts (only 2 were for moose) but I've only seen 1 that was legal. I must have seen at least 30 bulls that were under 50inches and over 40 inches and I've never seen a 4 brow tine.

Thanks for your comments.
Rod

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
      #324726 - 15/02/19 11:42 PM

I totally get wanting to hunt Alaska, but if your end goal is to get a nice trophy bull, I’d try and book my hunt where the odds were mostly in my favor. Sound like BC would be cheaper and have higher odds.
If you’ve already gone twice with no luck, then I recommend you do something different. If you can afford it, you should check out Jim Shocky Outfitters (jimshocky.com). They hunt the Yukon area, and that’s every bit as romantic as Alaska, and I’ll bet your odds of getting the wall hanger of your dreams will be much higher (my 2 cents worth).

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #324728 - 16/02/19 12:53 AM

Quote:

I'm in the process of booking a trophy moose hunt and have to decide soon as to whether I go back to Alaska for a 3rd crack at an Alaskan/Yukon moose or head to Northern BC (almost in Yukon) for a crack at a Canadian. Prices, surprisingly, are about the same. (I wish the Canadian knew how to charge in CAD)Chances of success seem better in BC. Both hunts are fly in. Alaskan on foot. Canadian on horse and foot. Heads saying BC, heart says ALASKA. Seems both areas have moose with heads about the same size, 55 to 60 inches.

Any feed back from those who have hunted there and or live there would be appreciated.

Cheers
Rod

Depends on what your definition of "trophy" is??

I personally know of a handful of nice moose ( 60+ )taken last year in Alaska by guys who live here and also by guys who just went there hunting from the lower 48.. I saw 2 big bulls last fly flying from point a to point b fly fishing.. ironically, I am headed up there myself this fall with another buddy..we are going to do a do-it-yourself hunt.... so, if nothing else, will be an adventure...

Surprised with the exchange rate being what it is currently , that the Canada hunt isn't actually cheaper..

Have you gone twice with the same outfitter?? If you have I would NOT do a third.. just my opinion..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: Ripp]
      #324735 - 16/02/19 04:54 AM

Most guides here charge in US $$, I think is the way of it.

Currently, the US dollar costs: $1.33 CDN and $1.40 AUD

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: DarylS]
      #324736 - 16/02/19 05:01 AM

I am not guiding any more and no longer hunt moose myself, but around this AREA, moose hunting is quite poor, due mostly to the wolves. I think a lot of BC is the same.

A friend in Ft. St. John has one eating his duck and goose feed on his farm, but not a lot of moose around there, either - they've got wolves as well. Maybe not as bad as here.

Try Collingwood Brothers Ray and Reggie (based in Smithers, who use horses & are situated in Spatsizi Nat'l Park. Might be worth while. Their hunting area is VERY remote, fly-in only.
Beautiful place and the fly-fishing is GREAT! Rainbows, Bull(Dollies)Trout and Arctic Graying.

Spatsizi has produced some VERY large moose, of Alaskan Moose genes. Most hunting is at the 4,000'(base camp on Laslui Lake ASL or higher -used to be there. Now I see there is a lodge there - might be their's or maybe they've retired, but don't think so.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Laslui+Lake

some pictures of the lake, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Laslui+L...gXMBulBqJ572PM:

As far as the Yukon, I have no experience there - at all.

I found this- says territory is now owned by McCowan's.

--------------------
Daryl

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: crkennedy1]
      #324743 - 16/02/19 07:58 AM

Quote:

I totally get wanting to hunt Alaska, but if your end goal is to get a nice trophy bull, I’d try and book my hunt where the odds were mostly in my favor. Sound like BC would be cheaper and have higher odds.
If you’ve already gone twice with no luck, then I recommend you do something different. If you can afford it, you should check out Jim Shocky Outfitters (jimshocky.com). They hunt the Yukon area, and that’s every bit as romantic as Alaska, and I’ll bet your odds of getting the wall hanger of your dreams will be much higher (my 2 cents worth).

The price is about the same for Alaska, Yukon or BC but odds of success seem best for BC. Everyone of the outfitters charge in USD. Both of my other moose hunts were with the same outfitter. So this time I figured I'd try something different.

Cheers
Rod

Rod4861
.300 member

#324744 - 16/02/19 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers
Rod

Depends on what your definition of "trophy" is??

I personally know of a handful of nice moose ( 60+ )taken last year in Alaska by guys who live here and also by guys who just went there hunting from the lower 48.. I saw 2 big bulls last fly flying from point a to point b fly fishing.. ironically, I am headed up there myself this fall with another buddy..we are going to do a do-it-yourself hunt.... so, if nothing else, will be an adventure...

Surprised with the exchange rate being what it is currently , that the Canada hunt isn't actually cheaper..

Have you gone twice with the same outfitter?? If you have I would NOT do a third.. just my opinion..

My defination of trophy for all my Alaskan hunts has been pretty high. "A bees dick length over legal length and it's on the deck". So anything over 50 inches or with 4 brow tines.

Price wish I was also surprised that Canada wasn't maginely cheaper. But every one appears to charge in USD. No different to Africa I guess. And yes I'm using a different Outfitter...no use doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Cheers
Rod

Rod4861
.300 member

#324745 - 16/02/19 08:08 AM

Thanks for the info Darryl,

the area in BC I'm looking at is right up on the Yukon border as well. Also very remote.

Cheers
Rod

DarylS
.700 member

#324753 - 16/02/19 12:58 PM

3 brow tines would be easier if legal where you hunt.

For quite a while, the world record, Boon and Crockett 72" or 73"er didn't even have brow guards - just huge paddles with lots'a long spikes.

Laws around here for legal bull is 3 brow tines on one side.

Good luck. Sounds good.

--------------------
Daryl

Rod4861
.300 member

#324756 - 16/02/19 02:03 PM

Quote:

3 brow tines would be easier if legal where you hunt.

For quite a while, the world record, Boon and Crockett 72" or 73"er didn't even have brow guards - just huge paddles with lots'a long spikes.

Laws around here for legal bull is 3 brow tines on one side.

Good luck. Sounds good.

Spoke with the Canadian Outfitter a few hours ago and that area has a 3 brow tine or 10 on a side minimum. Where I've hunted in Alaska has a 4 brow tine or 50" minimum. I believe that some parts of Alaska there is an any bull is legal policy.

Anyway...finding a legal bull is a bit of a challenge. I've seen heaps of moose. some walking through town in Kenai,around the Anchorage airport and even when I've been out in the paddock with a tag & rifle!. Even saw a bull (close to 50") on the side of the Dalton Hwy, up in the arctic.

Canada's looking like it might be the go this time!

Rod

DarylS
.700 member

#324769 - 17/02/19 06:51 AM

Best wishes on your hunt!!

--------------------
Daryl

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
      #324784 - 17/02/19 06:38 PM

I travel to hunt in an any bull area. I'm after meat not antlers. Saying that, in the last 4 years I've lucked into a 64" and a 62". I'll take a spike if it's the first bull that I see. We use a raft and our legs.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: casper50]
      #325769 - 13/03/19 01:28 PM

Rod, if you do decide to hunt Alaska again we have a cancellation hunt for this coming September. It's the 10-20 and two hunters we had last year on that hunt killed a 69 and a 70" bull.
We hunt a real trophy area and our prices are $22,500 but At his late in the season we will not only apply their $2500 deposit but also discount another $2500. Making the hunt price 17,500 .

Let us know at our email
Grizskins@att.net

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Rod4861
.300 member

Re: Moose - Alaskan or Canadian ? [Re: 458Win]
      #325789 - 14/03/19 12:18 AM

Thanks for the offer Phil, but I've booked a Canadian moose hunt.

Rod

Ripp
.577 member

#325798 - 14/03/19 02:34 AM

Quote:

Rod

We will have to compare notes when we are done--I booked a moose, snow sheep hunt in Russia..
Oct--2019

Best of luck to you Rod..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#325800 - 14/03/19 02:49 AM

Art - can you take your own rifle, or have to use a Mosin Nagent variant?

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#325810 - 14/03/19 05:40 AM

Quote:

Art - can you take your own rifle, or have to use a Mosin Nagent variant?

Taking my own..

Actually taking one is 300Win..as it seeems if the ammo doesn't make it..that caliber ammo can be found almost anywhere..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#325818 - 14/03/19 07:29 AM

Makes sense. Was wondering if '06 or 308 would be easier yet?
Hasn't been many years that residents there could own a rifle, only shotguns - or maybe that was only in Yakutsk.

--------------------
Daryl

Rod4861
.300 member

#325823 - 14/03/19 08:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rod

We will have to compare notes when we are done--I booked a moose, snow sheep hunt in Russia..
Oct--2019

Best of luck to you Rod..

Hope you have a great hunt Ripp !

Rod

Ripp
.577 member

#325833 - 14/03/19 01:15 PM

Quote:

Makes sense. Was wondering if '06 or 308 would be easier yet?
Hasn't been many years that residents there could own a rifle, only shotguns - or maybe that was only in Yakutsk.

Agree--will check it out.. but, an 06 would never kill a moose..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#325838 - 14/03/19 02:36 PM

Careful - see Phil's "moniker".
I know you are kidding.
BTW- a late friend of mine used to use a factory chambered Model 92 Winchester for moose and it wasn't the big .38/40, either.
We won't discuss his usually round count to get one down, though.(kinda nasty)

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#326891 - 06/04/19 11:02 AM

Quote:

Careful - see Phil's "moniker".
I know you are kidding.
BTW- a late friend of mine used to use a factory chambered Model 92 Winchester for moose and it wasn't the big .38/40, either.
We won't discuss his usually round count to get one down, though.(kinda nasty)

YES, I am absolutely kidding.. I have seen first hand what the old '06 can do to an elk..no doubt it will handle a moose with ease..all things being equal..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#326893 - 06/04/19 11:59 AM

Lots of guys here, in years gone by, thought their #3 Enfields were the best moose ctg. going. Some will admit their new '06's or even .7mm mags are better, others not so sure (especially about the 7mm).
The '06 and 180 CL's or 220RN RP's were favoured for many years. Others went to Win. PP's and Imperial/Dominion KKSP's.

The old 215gr. KKSP RN seemed to work just about as well, they say, from the .303.

My first moose rifle was a .458 2"(American). It was satisfactory for the job. Pull the trigger, shoulder the rifle, walk up to the moose, set the rifle aside, take off the jacket and get to work.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5865

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com