Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: homemade doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
CMWill
.224 member

Reged: 16/05/05
homemade doubles
      #32542 - 01/06/05 12:59 PM

I am sure this board has seen its hare of crazy questions, but I just cant help but add on to that list. In the past Ive noticed people converting cheap SxS shotguns into small caliber double rifles. Usually .410 boxlocks into 22 hornets or other small calibers, etc. I know this is done by inserting tubes in the existing shotgun bbls, which have chambers fit to the desired cartridge and are usually rifled(correct?). It just so happens, I know a few machinists, and was curious how hard this really is. Im sure regulating a 22 hornet isnt too bad, but I dont even know how to go about starting a project like this. Do you buy the barrel inserts from somewhere(I am not able to rifle a barrel, but I could turn one out on a lathe and chamber it), do you take the existing bbls apart and then heat them to expand the bbl and then insert the new tubes with a binding compound?, is there a book on this process? Has anyone here done this? Realistically, can me and a few machinists(mostly machinists) do this? I realize having a gunsmith do this would be a little easier, but my gunsmith no longer has time to works on guns and I would rather do it myself for the fun of it. If anything were to go wrong, at least Im not destroying a $20,000 Purdey right? But I sure would love to have a little petite double rifle in something like .303 british or .22 hornet. Any information is greatly appreciated. Even if you all convince me Id be in way over my head Id still be happy knowing how its done.

Thanks again,

CMW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: homemade doubles [Re: CMWill]
      #32567 - 02/06/05 10:50 AM

I'd suggest that you buy a copy of "Building Double Rifles On Shotgun Actions", by W. Ellis Brown. It won't answer all of your questions but it will point you in the right direction. IMHO sleeving the rifle barrels inside of the existing shotgun barrels is "Mickey Mouse". The better way is to cut off the shotgun barrels at about 3 inches and then either solder or screw the rifle barrels into the monobloc thereby created.

CMWill
.224 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #32568 - 02/06/05 11:51 AM

I also thought about this, but I would still end up making a chamber on the lathe and "sleeving" it into the existing chamber correct? Then I would connect the two new barrels and relay the rib. Anyone know somebody that has tried or completed a project like this?

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#32581 - 02/06/05 08:28 PM

I have built 3, a 12 gauge rifle, a .22 Hornet, and a .54 x 10 gauge Cape gun. I am currently working on a .450 #2 NE. A .303 is in the future, all being well.

doublegunfan
.275 member

Reged: 26/04/05
Loc: Brazil
      #32589 - 03/06/05 01:01 AM

I friend had a single barrel insert on a double shotgun many years ago. I think that he did exactely what you are describing, machining the outside of a rifled barrel to match the internal side of the shotgun barrel. There was a nut on the muzzle to lock the insert in place. Two problems with this approach: first, you get a very barrel-heavy gun. Second, on a double, you have very limited regulation, even if you use excentric bushing on the muzzle to try some regulation.
I am working right now on a conversion project, using a shotgun action as a basis, inserting new barrels and using the original ones as monoblock only.
Have you any idea of what action are you going to use for your project?

Fred

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: homemade doubles [Re: doublegunfan]
      #32590 - 03/06/05 01:17 AM

Do a search on the double rifles forum. Marrakai has a double, a .577 2 3/4" NE built on a shotgun action. He didn't build it however but purchased it as is. It has been discussed several times. On his website listed on his profile is a story about it. I had a couple shots through it a couple years ago and it is a nice little rifle.

Found the story for you : Story

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: homemade doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #32596 - 03/06/05 03:43 AM

As a more conservative approach, how about taking a 12 gauge and re-regulating it for a double barreled slug gun?

Bernardelli made or makes a double slug gun, but I've never been able to find out anything about it. Anybody here know anything about it?

CMWill
.224 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: doublegunfan]
      #32601 - 03/06/05 12:10 PM

I think that if I was to insert full length tubes instead of cutting the barrels 1.5" from the end of the forcing cones, I would flute the barrels to reduce some weight. But, I do like the idea of cutting them about 1.5" from the forcing cones and putting new tubes on. The regulation does seem hard, and being a .22 hornet, its not the most accurate in the first place. Any suggestions on books about regulating doubles? I am thinking of my .410 ga BLNE Zabala Hermanos or one of those EAA 410 boxlocks. Id really like to find an old hammergun, but Ill only try that if this project works. Id also like to convert a .410 to 303 british, but starting small might be best So far no gunshop I know of has been able to get the "Spartan Gunworks" doubles. Id love to get the 45-70 and restock it, scallop the action, get the blue off it and caseharden it, and then have it engraved a little more. Thanks again for all of the info, CMW

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #32609 - 03/06/05 07:56 PM

CMW
Welcome to the forum.

In reply to:

I would flute the barrels to reduce some weight

Now there is a frightening thought, a double rifle with fluted barrels.
Might make the rib laying interesting.
In reply to:

Id also like to convert a .410 to 303 british

I think you would be very lucky to find a double 410 which could be built into a 303.
The chamber walls would end up dangerously thin IMO due to the majority of 410 doubles having tiny frame dimensions.
In reply to:

The regulation does seem hard

Believe me when I say that regulation is usually NOWHERE near as difficult as (correctly) building the barrels and modifying the action.

CMWill
.224 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: 4seventy]
      #32631 - 04/06/05 09:37 AM

I would never have fluted bbls on a double, I meant I would flute the .22 tubes to reduce weight, then line them in the old shotgun barrels. You wouldnt see the fluted bbl inserts because they are covered by the original shotgun tubes I am not that sick! Thats another thing, Im not sure what the pressure of 303 british is compared to 410 and it being danergous. Anyways, thanks again, CMW

4seventy
Sponsor

#32645 - 04/06/05 05:19 PM

Ok,
I'm with you now.
I should have read your post more carefully.
In the case of rifle barrels sleeved full length into shottie tubes, yes, the regulation will be more difficult.
I fail to see much benefit in building barrels this way for a double rifle.
IMO it is as much, or more work, than doing a monoblok setup.
The full length sleeving idea can look clubby, lack feel and balance, and regulating can turn into a nightmare.

Regarding the difference between .410 shotgun cartridge pressure and 303 rifle cartridge pressure, there is a BIG difference.

You need to ensure that the thickness of steel surrounding the cartridge chamber is more than enough before even thinking about any shotgun to rifle conversion.
IMO most 410 double barrel shotguns will be too small for safe conversion to 303 double rifle.

CMWill
.224 member

#32657 - 05/06/05 07:25 AM

The pressure on most any rifle cartridge bigger then a 22 is greater then that of a 410 ga Id assume, but I wasnt sure what the chambers of a modern 410 could handle safely. So my 303 thought is out of the question obviously. I do want to start small(22 hornet) and go with the monobloc. I still am not sure on how to regulate the rifle, maybe lazer lights down the bbls and see where they are on the target @ 75 yrd and 50 yrd? I will need to read up on that before anything. I have a lot of old barrels from the familys shop back home I can test it on luckly! Thanks, CMW

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#32658 - 05/06/05 08:18 AM

CWMill,
On 16/05/05, under the heading of Information Help, you posted photos of a best quality, German SxS rifle, by JJ Reeb, of Bonn, which you say you own. This rifle is chambered for the 8mm/.30-40 Krag which, for all intents and puposes is, ballistically, the twin of the .303 British. I'm puzzled as to why you would need to BUILD a .303.

CMWill
.224 member

#32666 - 05/06/05 01:08 PM

Just because I do not reload. I belive the only shells I own are the shells in the cartridge trap sadly. I need to buy dies and such from rcbs. 303 is so much easier to buy, as it still exists to this day, and I was reading somewhere that its not too bad of a cartridge to hunt with. I wish the double was a regular 30-40 krag, but the cases are necked down a bit and if I reloaded I would end up resizing the cases and it also uses the older 8mm bullets, which im not sure where to buy? The reeb is not for use, its for looking it right now As I have been saying before, I want a 22 hornet I am just obsessed with doubles, is that such a crime? CMW

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #32691 - 06/06/05 11:42 AM

CMWill:
Your enthusiasm is certainly refreshing, but don't discount other posters as 'knockers': they are simply speaking from experience which you are only beginning to accumulate. However, you have come to the right place!

I could be a bit of a 'knocker' myself, particularly regarding your proposed cosmetic work on the Spartan (you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!), but I think you simply need to read a lot more round the topic, and keep asking questions here. You could profitably spend a lazy Sunday afternoon going back a year or so in this very forum, reading all posts relating to shooting or loading for double rifles.

Regarding books, follow Ron Vella's recommendation for info on rifle-building. The best book on reloading for doubles is Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle", which will set you straight on a lot of issues, including why you can't laser-sight the barrels to regulate a double! Buy a copy!

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

CMWill
.224 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #32693 - 06/06/05 12:37 PM

I can assure you I am taking every post in and soaking up information with much appreciation. The reeb rifle has pretty much addicted me to double rifles, and I am very new to the topic. I have reloaded shotgun shells, but never rifle cartridges, so I am very novice on many subjects. thank god for this board! The way I fugure it, is that humans are on earth to teach others and learn, & it just so happens I chose to learn about double rifles Maybe one day Ill be an old timer teaching some new double lovers. Anyways, thanks everyone for the help and info, its more appreciated then you know. CMW

balltip
.224 member

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Just north of Gothenburg, Swed...
      #32940 - 12/06/05 04:07 AM

Hello there!
Seems you and I have the same thoughts - building a double rifle.
It can be done, however I would not recommend you doing it unless you got someone close by thta can help you out. Now, don't think I am bashing your idea, nor telling you that you can't do it - it's just that what you need to get it done will probably run you as much as buying a good quality used one (as long as you steer clear of Purdeys which tend to be a bit more costly...) Because you need a lathe, mill, good workingplace, a truck load of good quality files and a LOT of time!

I never built one myself as of yet, but have seen several being built on Merkel model 8's, 20 and 16ga, converting them to 8x57JRS. Process is quite forward:
1) Chop off the barrels at the front end of the chamber.
2) Ream the old chambers mirror smooth.
3) Turn down 2 barrels (better get barrels ment for double rifles from the beginning or yoy will end up with a very front heavy gun) so that their aft ends fits Exactly inside the reamed out chambers and protrude about 1/16" to the rear.
4) Soft solder the barrels in place (Yes, soft solder will do just fine - Do Not Weld Barrels!)
5) Solder the newly made ribs in place, including front sight, fore end lock notch and anything else you migt wanna have, like the front wedge and a quarter rib and so on. Ooops, forgot to tell that all soldering done must be nothing short of Perfect.
6) File the aft en absolutely square to the action
7) Make new extractor cos the old one won't work
8) Fit new extractor
9) AFTER fitting new extractor - cut chambers with extractor in place (it's hard to ream them chambers b4 you solder the barrels in place. So to do this you need a good quality drill press and the knowledge on "how to")
10) Test fire (if you dare)
11) Regulate rifle cos it surely won't shoot to the same POI as it is your first gun.

There are a few more minor details to take into account, like that you can't ream the old chambers parallel but they must actually be reamed at an angle so that the axis of them 2 bores wil meet at some distance. You also will want to file the outside contour of the new barrels and a few more things. Oh, almost forgot to say that you need to get new firing pins in place (smaller diameter) than the old ones cos of the increased pressure. It does take some time and some skill not to FUBAR.

There is another timeconsuming way to go too: Make a completely new set of rifled barrels for your shotgun-of-choice. Then you just pick the right set of barrels regarding what you want to hunt. For pigeons go with them shotgun barrels, for large game you just place your double rifle barrels in place. Nice!

(Heck, the more I think about it the more I realize that I should not spend time in my shop building my own double rifle but put in extra hours at work instead so that I can just buy myself one! Nah... I kinda look forward to it!
Friends that has done all this spent bout 5 months - 8 hours a day 5 days a week b4 they were finished. Then it was first time projects. On the other hand they got themselves some nice double rifles!)

So there you go; A short guide on how to build a double.

Be safe

Per

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Reged: 14/11/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: homemade doubles [Re: balltip]
      #32981 - 13/06/05 10:00 AM

I'm planning to do this very project as soon as I finish my degree next year. I've already been researching this project for almost a year now and I've learned a lot. This is probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a double rifle. I may catch a lot of flak for this but I plan on using a Stoeger 12 ga. action (unless I find some reason to change my mind). Many of the others that people recommend as being suitable are way out of my budget. I can afford $1000.00+ for an action about like I can afford a new double. They might as well be a new DR. I'll build a clamping fixture to test fire it in when I get to that point. If it blows up then it blows up. Afterall, it's as much about the journey as it is the destination. I plan on chambering either 450/400, 500/416, 450 3-1/4", or 450 No.2. A lot of it will depend on which ones I can find reamers for. If you decide to start yours keep us posted along the way.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: homemade doubles [Re: Bloodnativ]
      #32986 - 13/06/05 12:21 PM

How many of you guys building these plan to try proof loads first?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: mickey]
      #32987 - 13/06/05 01:28 PM

Of course I'm gonna try proof loads. That's the proper way to do it right? I want to know that it will handle standard loads without problem. I'm not just going to slap one together and go hunting. I'm not gonna do it at my local range either. If you're not gonna do something right then what's the point of doing it? I know I'll never be able to build a "Best" quality gun but I want the best quality gun I can possibly build.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: homemade doubles [Re: balltip]
      #33002 - 13/06/05 05:19 PM

In reply to:

4) Soft solder the barrels in place (Yes, soft solder will do just fine

Hmmmm.
"Soft" solder may vary in strength anywhere from 4000 psi to 40,000 psi or thereabouts depending on what type it is.

I don't think I want to have barrels soft soldered into the "monobloc" in any double I'd be shooting.

I'd demand true silver solder for that job.

Edited by 4seventy (13/06/05 05:23 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

#33011 - 13/06/05 10:26 PM

IMHO there is no earthly reason to use lead/tin solder on any double, even for laying the ribs. the new solders containing 95% tin + 5% silver appear to be far superior, much stronger, melt about the same (a little hotter, but not much), and I'm led to believe the barrel-group can be caustic blued if the need ever arises. I think Brownells market this stuff as 'Force 44' in the US. Any resident gunsmiths have an opinion on this?

I agree with 4seventy on the monobloc, though 5%silver/95%tin would probably be fine for fixing threaded barrels in place.

--------------------
Marrakai

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #33014 - 13/06/05 11:03 PM

In reply to:

I can afford $1000.00+ for an action about like I can afford a new double. They might as well be a new DR. I'll build a clamping fixture to test fire it in when I get to that point. If it blows up then it blows up.

I'd think the 45-70 spartan would be much more cost effective than building a home-made double (safer too).

Two barrel blanks on your project gun will cost you almost as much as the spartan, and you know the spartan is safe to shoot.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

balltip
.224 member

#33016 - 14/06/05 12:00 AM

Yes! You are absolutely right regarding that there are a whole load of different soft solders on the market.
Just to clarify my point I refer to good quality soft solders like the one mentioned by Marraki - not the stuff you might use for electronics. (In my world "soft solder" is good quality stuff that still don't need the metal to be heated to temperatures as high as needed for ordinary stiff stick silver/cadmium solders. Sorry, should have been clearer on that!)
I am also very sure about good quality soft solders and their ability to fix barrels to a mono block without the use of threads. This not from own experience but from what friends has done.
Now you guys might wonder "what kind of friends does this silly bugger keep?"
Well, one of them has built a few doubles, others just one. Place I met them all was at the Swedish school of gunsmithing, and one of the friends I keep from back then is the former head master, his name is Stanley Stoltz. He also happens to be one of the better engravers around, so I will try to paste a few pictures with this post. (After trying to do just that I realized I need to link to a separate web page with pics, right? Gosh, I don't have a home page so posting pics will be difficult for me. Is there any way to post pictures on here without having to link to another page? Help needed from you guys!)
Anyway, he and the other teacher taught us the "ream out and solder" method when it comes to fixing barrels to a mono block.
But then again I was a bit unclear about explaining this (I didn't even mention it!) so I will correct this by saying that this method does only apply to lower pressure cardridges - as the mentioned 8x57JRS for example. I am not familiar with the actual shear force a good soft solder withstands, but the actual surface holding a barrel in place would be something like this (just an example).
Imagine we are using a 12 bore for building a double (there are a few important drawbacks about using a 12 bore for building a double but I won't list them all here except for saying it has, amongst other things also to do with leverage).
Once the chambers has been cleared for soldering (reamed out, barrels shortened to... let's say 75mm, and yes I will stick to metrics here cos I am no good at maths using inches) they will be roughly 20mm in diameter. That gives a total inner surface of (20 x pi (3,14) x 75) = 4710 square millimetres, or 47,1 square cm's
Now a good solder will hold a lot covering that much surface. Just HOW much I don't know...!
But as I said b4, none of them doubles made has turned to scrap - nor their owners.

And here is an open invitation to anybody who knows anything about how to calculate this stuff when it comes to shearing forces neccesary to pull the barrel out of place! If anybody knows how to calculate this then please show me how to, please! I am very sincere on this!

Regarding my own project I am turning towards the 45-110 ,the 45-120 or something similar. As the action I am going to build my gun on is old (90+ years) I will use nitro-for-black loads only. I happen to own a 12ga gun (see my presentation under "general" on this board) equipped with an extra set of .450 bpe barrels from the manufacturer (Husqvarna) so the action itself does allow for BP pressures. That 12ga will be for sale shortly, but that is another story...
(Edited: Forgot to mention here that I will be using a 16ga action for my own project, and that YES - I am in such a lucky position that I do have good friends at hand that knows the process on "how to" and "what not to" do. If you reading this don't - then by all means DON'T DO IT!)

The problem about having the gun proofed will be dealt by having it sent to Norma cartridge company. I still expect it to return in one piece, but I want somebody knowledgeable about proof loads doing the actual testing - I am not going to fill a case at random using bullseye and "see what happens"!

Any thoughts on this much welcome!

Per

Edited by balltip (14/06/05 12:06 AM)

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: new_guy]
      #33021 - 14/06/05 02:53 AM

In reply to:

I'd think the 45-70 spartan would be much more cost effective than building a home-made double (safer too).

Two barrel blanks on your project gun will cost you almost as much as the spartan, and you know the spartan is safe to shoot.

I would love to try one of the Spartans (though after rechambering to something other than 45/70) but it seems that Remington can't deliver what they promise. I have yet to see one at any dealer and have yet to find any dealer who knows when they will be here. Remington also says that the Spartans shouldn't be used with ammo exceeding 28,000 psi. WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT! That's the loads for the old Trapdoor Springfields. That's about as useful as a hemorhoid.

Furthermore I can buy the barrel blanks individually (and any other parts or outside labor that may be needed) as my budget allows. I don't have to come out of pocket with the whole roll at once. I plan on starting a "Double Rifle Savings Plan" after I finish my degree but with a family with 3 kids (ranging in age from newborn-11 years) I don't see it happening. Besides building one will be quite therapeutic.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#33026 - 14/06/05 07:11 AM

Here are some thoughts from one who has built 3 and is on # 4. Regular tin/lead solder will do fine but, as Tony pointed out, Force 44 tin/cadmium solder from Brownells is far superior. It has a tensile strength of about 28.000 psi versus 4-5000 psi for tin /lead solder. Silver is NOT necessary and I HIGHLY recommend against using it. Tin/lead melts at about 400 deg.F. Force-44 melts at about 600. Silver melts at 1150 to 1350. You need near "red heat" to melt silver solder and at those temperatures, molecular changes are occuring in the steel which are NOT strength-enhancing. Whether you use tin/lead or Force 44, it is necessary to pre-tin both the sockets of the mono-bloc, and the shanks of the barrels, before final assembly. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to get 100% coverage and cohesion by relying on capillary action alone!!!! I'VE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES, AS EXPERIMENTS, THEN DISASSEMBLED TO INSPECT. YOU'RE LUCKY IF YOU ACHIEVE 60% COVERAGE THAT WAY.

There are two advantages to threading rather than soldering. Of course, you need a lathe or a machinist friend to do this. First, you are able to achieve a "crush fit" between the barrels and the monobloc which makes the seam very difficult to see if done right. It's difficult in the extreme to achieve that with a soldered joint. That's why makers like Beretta roll-engrave that seam, to camouflage it.

Secondly, once they are threaded in, you don't have to worry about applying longitudinal pressure on the barrels, later, when you're soldering up the forearm hook, the spacer-blocks, and the ribs. When you get that far, the whole assembly needs to be heated well above the temperature where a solder joint in the mono-bloc will flow.

A word to the wise, from one who had it happen to him. If you solder, rather than thread, then you must make up a spring-loaded jig to hold the barrels into the mono-block during the rib-laying process, If you clamp things up rigidly, the barrels WILL expand and lengthen during the heating process, to the point where they may actually accordion on you. A spring-loaded jig allows the barrels to expand longitudinally while still keeping them in close contact with the mono-bloc. That ain't hearsay folks, I ruined two good barrels to discover that, and wasted a hell of a lot of time and effort that I'd spent in turning and polishing them as well. Boy, am I ever long-winded today!

Marrakai
.416 member

#33036 - 14/06/05 10:31 AM

Long-winded wisdom on building double rifles is gold-dust, Ron. Keep it coming!

So I take it Force 44 solder is tin/cadmium? The stuff I use in Oz is tin/silver, and despite the presence of 5% silver it still melts in the normal soft-solder range. Not to be confused with silver-solder which, as you say, requires red-heat to flow.

The early literature refers to the process of 'tinning' rather than soldering. Do you know whether they used pure tin a century ago, or did it contain additional metals like the silver or cadmium alloys of today?

Apologies for the questions, always been curious about this.

--------------------
Marrakai

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#33040 - 14/06/05 10:51 AM

Tony, First off, I had, what we here refer to as a "brain-fart". Force-44 is tin/silver,as you say, not tin/cadmium. Cadmium is bad stuff when vaporized, not good for the health, what.

Not positive on origin of term "tinning" as used for applying thin coat of solder to surfaces, prior to final assembly. I have read of the old boys applying pure tin with a rosin flux. Very possble some may still. Seems logical that that's where the term "tinning" arose.

4seventy
Sponsor

#33050 - 14/06/05 06:23 PM

In reply to:

Silver is NOT necessary and I HIGHLY recommend against using it.

Ok, so i guess Ruger, Winchester,and others have been doing it wrong when fitting (shotgun) barrels to their monoblocks.

In reply to:

at those temperatures, molecular changes are occuring in the steel which are NOT strength-enhancing

I find it interesting that you seem to be concerned about the strength of steel but are not at all concerned about the strength of a soft soldered joint between barrels and monobloc.

I agree that top quality solders like force 44 are very good for some jobs on doubles.

I have used these solders on wedges and ribs on several occasions and various doubles but I do not consider it ideal for the barrel to mono joint.

A question.
How many double rifles, old or new, featuring chopper, dovetail or shoe lumps, or monobloc system, rely on SOFT solder to join the lumps, attach the lumps to the barrels or attach the barrels to the monobloc?

Edited by 4seventy (14/06/05 07:55 PM)

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#33059 - 14/06/05 10:46 PM

Alan Moon, You seem to have very strong opinions on this subject, based on what experience I don't know. Here's a brief explanation for MY opinions. Those manufacturers to whom you refer, are using oven-brazing equipment, not a hand-held torch. They are able to control temperatures precisely, control the cool-down period precisely, and heat-treat later as required. Same applies to brazing chopper-lumps together, These jobs aren't done by some ordinary Joe with a torch and some brazing rod, They're done with metal/flux pastes, a jig to hold everything in place, and into the oven. There have been hundreds of thousands of guns built on the monobloc system, using nothing but tin/lead solder. All that the solder does is to hold the barrels into the mono-bloc, it contributes zero to the ability of the assembly to retain and withstand pressure. THINK ABOUT IT!

Edited by ronvella (14/06/05 11:06 PM)

4seventy
Sponsor

#33133 - 15/06/05 09:16 PM

In reply to:

Those manufacturers to whom you refer, are using oven-brazing equipment, not a hand-held torch. They are able to control temperatures precisely, control the cool-down period precisely, and heat-treat later as required. Same applies to brazing chopper-lumps together, These jobs aren't done by some ordinary Joe with a torch and some brazing rod, They're done with metal/flux pastes, a jig to hold everything in place, and into the oven.

Glad you brought that up. I knew someone would.
Have you ever stopped to wonder why "they" would go to all that trouble when "they" could just use your much simpler and easier and cheaper SOFT solder method?

In reply to:

There have been hundreds of thousands of guns built on the monobloc system, using nothing but tin/lead solder

Hundreds of thousands of guns built by which makers?

In reply to:

All that the solder does is to hold the barrels into the mono-bloc, it contributes zero to the ability of the assembly to retain and withstand pressure. THINK ABOUT IT!

Yes, I have THOUGHT ABOUT IT, perhaps it's time you thought about it also.
You need to think about AXIAL FORCE.
Axial force is the most powerfull force acting on a double barrel rifle action.
Axial force is the reason for developments like chopper lumps and third fasteners (and others).
Axial force results from chamber pressure pushing on the action face, trying to push the barrels away from the standing breech.
Of course the jointing of the monobloc to the action will contain this.
So Axial force is transmitted from the cartridge pressure acting against the action face, to the barrel/s, to the monobloc and then to the action.
The important thing here is "the BARRELS TO THE MONOBLOK".

The joining of the barrels to the monoblock will have to endure and contain this strongest of forces to act on the double rifle, the Axial force.
You may be happy to use any soft solder for that purpose, I'm not.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
It doesn't matter a stuff how strong the action frame is or how strong the jointing of monoblok to the action frame is.
The overall strength of the entire monoblok system relies on the strength of the barrel to monoblok join.
That's why I prefer high temp solders for that task, as they offer far superior strength to any of the soft solders, especially the basic tin/lead types.

This is just what I prefer for double rifles built on monoblok shotgun actions and anyone else can use whatever solder they like.

Edited by 4seventy (15/06/05 09:35 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

#33135 - 15/06/05 10:47 PM

One is reminded of the chamber-sleeving repair to the Rigby nitro double described and illustrated in the opening chapters of Ellis Brown's book. Bloody tragic!

--------------------
Marrakai

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#33161 - 16/06/05 06:57 AM

Allan Moon,
Unfortunately you choose to argue only those points which support your argument. Nobody would be foolish enough to argue that the tensile strength of silver solder is not greater than, say, Force- 44. That strength is not necessary in this aplication. If you continue to ignore the fact that the amount of heat required to do this job with a torch will change the strength of the steel, then you are free to flaunt your ignorance of even the basics of metallurgy to the world.

If one starts with a known alloy, knows its chemistry, is familiar with its properties, undertands what molecular changes occur in that alloy at 1350 degrees Fahrenheit, understands what heat treatment will be required after assembly, has access to a brazing furnace, and has access to a computer-controlled heat-treating furnace, then by all means, silver-solder to your heart's content. Unfortunately, the average guy contemplating a shotgun to rifle conversion has none of these luxuries. That is why a good Tin/Silver solder is the material of choice and yields a joint strength, if properly done, far in excess of that required. As I said earlier, Force-44 solder has a tensile strenth of 28,000, pounds per square inch. Calculate the surface area of the joint and you will find that the total joint strength is FAR in excess of the force generated by ANY rifle cartridge.

Tony, the failure in the Rigby rifle, to which Brown refers, was caused in large part by failure to pre-tin, and poor soldering technique, as I discussed in an earlier post. Ellis does discuss that very thing in the book.
Best,
Ron.

Edited by ronvella (16/06/05 10:54 AM)

4seventy
Sponsor

#33188 - 16/06/05 03:57 PM

In reply to:

Here are some thoughts from one who has built 3 and is on # 4. Regular tin/lead solder will do fine but, as Tony pointed out, Force 44 tin/cadmium solder from Brownells is far superior. It has a tensile strength of about 28.000 psi versus 4-5000 psi for tin /lead solder.

In reply to:

There have been hundreds of thousands of guns built on the monobloc system, using nothing but tin/lead solder. All that the solder does is to hold the barrels into the mono-bloc, it contributes zero to the ability of the assembly to retain and withstand pressure.

Ron,
In the above statements you say that tin/lead solders are fine and you then say that tin/lead solder has a tensile strength of only 4-5000 lbs.

In you most recent post you are now saying that you use Force 44 with 28000 lbs.

Make your mind up please.

Flaunting my ignorance eh.
Ok, the gloves are off!
I'll say right now that I think that anyone who thinks that

>>>>All that the solder does is to hold the barrels into the mono-bloc, it contributes zero to the ability of the assembly to retain and withstand pressure<<<<

and anyone who would claim that 4-5000lb strength tin/lead soft solder is ok to use to attach the barrels to the monoblok of a double rifle,

is, well, not really worth having a debate with.

hmmm ......tactfull Alan very tactfull.

Ron, if you want to impress me, try answering the questions in my last post.
Start with supplying the makers names who build hundreds of thousands of guns with nothing more than tin/lead soft solder joining the barrels into the monoblok.

Bloodnativ
.275 member

#33189 - 16/06/05 05:03 PM

This was shaping up to be a very informative thread until all the mud-slinging started. COME ON GUYS! Some of us would REALLY like information on this particular subject. If someone wants to do something one way versus another then so be it. It's the reader's (read:learner's) responsibility to verify any and all information given. If I take one person's word that tin/lead solder is adequate and the gun blows up in my face, who's fault is it? It's mine and only mine. It may have worked for your application but failed for mine. That's MY problem. Not yours. Stop sweatin' it. It's a situation of "reader beware". I know I will probably NEVER be able to buy a new (or even used) DR (though I will try) so building one may be the ONLY way I ever get to realize that dream.

I have, as many of you have, read Mr. Brown's book cover-to-cover several times. I still have questions. For instance, Couldn't you thread the full length of the barrel shank and simply crush fit as most, if not all, bolt actions are assembled? What should the profile be for a set of barrels for say a 450 No.2? What is the minimum barrel wall thickness for something up to 450 No.2?

Please guys let's stop the bickering and help those of us that truely seek the knowledge. I, for one, would be most grateful.

4seventy
Sponsor

#33203 - 16/06/05 08:46 PM

Bloodnativ,
I wasn't aware of any mud-slinging.
I think that perhaps some of my points have been missed.
I have already stated that while I may prefer a certain solder method, anyone else can use whatever solder they like.

The thing that concerns me is that there are quite a few errors in some of the statements made in this thread.

Things like...
In reply to:

Tin/lead melts at about 400 deg.F. Force-44 melts at about 600. Silver melts at 1150 to 1350. You need near "red heat" to melt silver solder and at those temperatures, molecular changes are occuring in the steel which are NOT strength-enhancing

To start with , the melt temp is not that important as solder will not be much use at melt temp.
FLOW temp is the important one.
Force 44 does NOT melt at about 600! It actually flows at 475 F.
Perhaps the writer of that info is getting confused with HI-Temp Force 44 which flows at 650 F.

Silver solder actually flows at just over 1200 F.
This is still a full 200-250 F Deg below the minimum temp required to soften or anneal medium carbon steels.
"red heat" gives a very vague description of how hot the steel actually is.
1200 F will only take the steel to a DULL red colour, 1400 F will make dull cherry red and 1600 will produce full cherry red.

In reply to:

All that the solder does is to hold the barrels into the mono-bloc, it contributes zero to the ability of the assembly to retain and withstand pressure

This one really gets me going and is totally wrong.
On any double, the join of barrels to the lumps is CRITICAL regarding the strength of the whole deal.
This is why chopper lumps are considered to be the ultimate system as the lumps are forged integrally to the barrels.
On a monoblok system the lumps are part of the monoblok and the barrel to mono solder join has to withstand the FULL AXIAL LOAD.

In reply to:

As I said earlier, Force-44 solder has a tensile strenth of 28,000, pounds per square inch. Calculate the surface area of the joint and you will find that the total joint strength is FAR in excess of the force generated by ANY rifle cartridge.

Actually, Force 44 has a MAXIMUM tensile strength of 28,000.
Its true strength, even with a good join may be only HALF that at 14,000.

Also it has been stated more than once that 4-5000 psi tin/lead solder will "do fine" but the writer wants us to do any calculations at 28,000!

This is not meant to be mud-slinging or bickering.
It is just dealing with what has been stated in this thread.

Now to avoid any confusion I'll say this again.

Use any solder you like.

For double rifle barrel to mono join I PREFER silver solder.
Why, because the tiny caress of finger on trigger ignites a 50,000 psi bomb only a couple of inches away from your face.
Think about that and then do your calculations at the 4000 psi strength of tin/lead soft solder.
You may get a shock!

Bloodnativ
.275 member

#33220 - 17/06/05 12:15 AM

I guess "mud-slinging" an "bickering" weren't the right words but fit for lack of better ones at 1a.m. after quite a few beers . However it does seem to have gotten stuck on this whole "I'm right and you're wrong" concerning solder temps. A quick look at Brownells' catalog verifies what you said. Hi-Force flows at 475, HI-TEMP Hi-Force flows at 650, and Silvaloy flows at 1205. I'm with you man. Use the strongest stuff you can, UNLESS there is an easier way that will work just as well.

That brings me back to the questions in my last post. Will just a crush fit, like when barreling a bolt action, work just as well or are the axial forces of a DR making that method inadequate? Also what about barrel profile and barrel wall thickness for something up to 450 #2? As I've said I'm planning to build one chambered for something between 450/400 up to 450 #2. I figure if I go with a profile and wall thickness that is adequate for 450 #2 then anything smaller (450/400 3-1/4" or 450 3-1/4") will be covered.

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#33248 - 17/06/05 08:44 AM

Bloodnative,
I want to apologize to you and the other readers for allowing myself to be drawn into this "mudslinging". I would like to explain my credentials and then I shall bow out of this forum permanently. I am a relatively new member here, having joined about 2 months ago. I am 62 years old with 3 grown kids and 3 grandkids. I point that out to show that I'm not some pseudo-expert, teen-age troll.
I own a 9" x 54" South Bend Lathe with milling attachment and thousands of dollars worth of tooling. I'm no tool and die maker but I have become fairly proficient in the use of this equipment over the years. I have been welding, both gas and electric, for 35 years. My educational background is heavy on chemistry and physics. My father spent 5 years with the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers during the war, teaching welding at a trade school in London. He spent 30 years as a welding engineer with Massey Ferguson. He spent several years on loan to a company in Chicago helping to develop high-temperature metal-deposition systems for re-entry vehicles in the US space program. He then spent 15 years as an inspector and tester with the Canadian Welding Bureau. You could say that I have had the best advice that money can buy when it comes to the topic at hand.

I have hunted and owned guns for 50 years. I have been in love with double guns and double rifles for 30 years. Like you, I would never be able to afford a double rifle, short of winning the lottery, so I decided to build one. I was well aware of the potential dangers and spent literally 100's of hours on research, correspondence, etc. I have built 3 so far. The first was a 12 gauge rifle, as I was only working with pressures up to about 12,000 psi, for my first attempt. I have killed 7 whitetails with that gun and it has fired hundreds of rounds of Lightfield slugs. The second was a .22 Hornet which again has fired thousands of rounds and puts 5 lefts and 5 rights into 2 inches at 50 yards with iron sights. The third was a 10 gauge by .54 caliber Cape Gun which is my deer gun during our muzzleloading season. I am currently building a .450 #2 NE which I plan to take back to Africa to shoot a second Cape Buffalo.

I see discussions like this one quite often, where some guy is right where I was 20 years ago, anxious to build a double rifle and thirsting for the knowhow and advice. I thought that I might have some useful information to offer here, based on experience, and some tough mistakes. I thought that I had presented that information in a polite and well-thought-out manner. Mr. Moon obviously thought otherwise, as a re-read of his post after mine will show. He basically told me and the rest of the world that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, and he did so in a damned rude and abrasive manner. Perhaps he believes that rudeness is part of the moderator's job description.

Mr. Moon points out that chopper-lump assemblies are put together by brazing and then advocates, very strenuously that a rifle be mono-blocked with silver solder. He then makes a blanket statement as to the flow temperature of silver solder.

Not all chopper lump assemblies are brazed. Some are, in fact, silver soldered. Also, the temperature at which silver solder flows, varies from as low as 1040 degrees to as high as 1700 degrees, depending on the alloy and its shape. The liquidus temperature of the average bronze alloy is in the 1600 degree range. Do you see where I'm going with this? You may choose to ignore the potential degradation of the steel's strength at these temperatures, as Mr Moon is wont to do. But think whether you will be able to silver solder those two tubes in, achieve the temperature where capillary action draws the silver solder into every nook and cranny, and be absolutely positive that you don't get things up that extra 200 degrees where the braze joint between the lumps starts to fail? If you can do so you are a far better man with a torch than I am. Someone will say, "Well just clamp the lumps together first". That still doesn't stop the braze joint from liquifying and doesn't ensure that no hidden oxidation and resultant impurities are introduced into that hidden joint.

In answer to your question, yes a threaded assembly is by far the strongest and requires no solder at all. Use the finest possible thread, as the finer the thread, the shallower the thread form and the more "meat" you leave in the monobloc. As an example, the .22 Hornet was built on a .410 shotgun. The thread which I used was .670"-36, which is the tap and die set for the "N"-frame Smith And Wesson revolver. It requires some very careful measuring and calculations to do this though, as you've got to deal with the amount that the assembly tapers from the rear of the barrels to the front of the flats. If you re-read my original post above, you will note that I talked about the fact that this crush fit delivers an almost undetectable finished joint.

Again, my apologies for the mud-slinging. Life is way too short for this nonsense. If anybody has any questions, I can be reached on PM and would be glad to answer. So long all, I leave with a heavy heart as this seemed a damned fine board at first.
Ron Vella.

Edited by ronvella (17/06/05 09:03 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

#33256 - 17/06/05 11:14 AM

Thought about this for a while, and feel I should comment: mainly advice for ronvella, but don't take it personally mate.

This forum is indeed much more civilized than others like AR and HA, and with few exceptions most members are well-mannered, and keen to learn and pass-on hard-won wisdom. Nevertheless, there will be inevitable differences of opinion, even among the experienced, as life's lessons are dished-out in a wide range of circumstance.

It is that breadth of experience which sets internet forums apart from other media resources, such as books, magazine articles, and TV shows. The dynamic, real-time nature of a lively forum like this one ensures that each topic is thoroughly explored, and unlike books or TV will not be restricted to the limits of a single author or editor's knowledge or experience (..or opinion!).

BUT.... you do need a tough hide to actively participate. All of us have been involved in dust-ups from time to time, and the trick is knowing when to walk away from a thread, not the whole forum. You have been a member of other boards for a long time, Ron, so it surprises me that you would toss-in the towel here. Other members are reading all these posts, and forming their own opinions, but most will be conservative about wading-in because it inevitably means 'taking sides' and only perpetuates the confrontation.

Although this particular thread has definitely turned to sh!t, NitroExpress is still the best double-rifle forum on the web by a country mile, and I suspect ronvella's exit will leave both him and the rest of us (including 4seventy!) the poorer in the longer term.

--------------------
Marrakai

Bloodnativ
.275 member

#33283 - 17/06/05 03:42 PM

Very well said Marrakai. Couldn't have said it better myself and you are absolutely right. Just because one thread turns south doesn't mean someone needs to leave the forum. This is the BEST forum on the net. I, as many of you probably do, visit others such as AR and HA and this one is the most civilized and informative. It also seems to have the most members with REAL experience. That's why I visit here almost daily. I may not post very often but I don't usually have much that I can add that will be of much benefit. I'm just starting to learn about double rifles, big bores, reloading for them (though I already load for a few other more common cartridges), and dream of the day I can hunt plains game in Africa and DG anywhere. This site has been a major source of information and inspiration. It would be a shame to lose someone with vast experience and knowledge just because a thread turns sour. My intent was not to make someone leave but merely to get the thread back on track.

Ron, I am not the kind of guy to beg someone to stay where they don't want to be. However, I would hate to see someone with your experience leave over something like this. I hope you were just blowing off steam.

I think I'll probably NOT post on this thread anymore. I'll just let it die for now and post unanswered questions in a new thread later.

Keep the info flowing guys. I'm just eatin' it up.

4seventy
Sponsor

#33296 - 17/06/05 08:55 PM

What is all the fuss about.
Ron, you like one solder and I like a another.
Why such high drama over a simple difference in opinion?
Hell, nobody wants you to leave including me.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #33297 - 17/06/05 10:08 PM

Gidday Ron,Your surname has come up before in conection with ISSF pistol shooting.
Iff you are the same person then you would be a retired school teacher..
My wife is a member of the Australian Pistol Team and I'm sure the name Vella from Canada has come up before.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
Re: homemade doubles [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #33307 - 18/06/05 01:01 AM

I believe I saw pictures of the 22 double rifle on another forum once. If its the one i saw its a beauty! Looked like it was very well built. I emailed Ron and he was very open to share his knowlege.
Dean

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: deant]
      #33337 - 18/06/05 04:22 PM

These sorts of discussions are beyond me. I have no desire to build a double nor the ability but they are interesting from a learning and technical point of view.

Differences of opinion will always occur and sometimes get a little heated. Heated discussions without dropping to the level of name calling or abuse are part and parcel of any alive forum.

Different people have different approaches too , some are more direct and some just let it pass by. Dealing with all sorts of people is part of life let alone the internet.

What I suggest is everyone just take a step back, relax a bit and cool down. Nothing here even comes close to what happens at other forums. Then maybe re-approach the issue from the point of view of a discussion on the issue, techiques etc rather than personalities. Hopefully in a polite and gentlemanly manner even if the individuals completely disagree with other.

Ron Vella,

I don't think you need to leave or drop out for six months or whatever. You are welcome to stay around. Disagreements happen from time to time.

Gentlemen,

Please do not let this thread die off. It is interesting to a considerable number of people. Lets get back to the discussion of the issues and techniques perhaps.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

#33340 - 18/06/05 09:04 PM

In reply to:

Please do not let this thread die off. It is interesting to a considerable number of people. Lets get back to the discussion of the issues and techniques perhaps

John,
I honestly believe that sometimes the best information on a subject like this will come out of debate between those who have experience in the matter and have "been there and done that."
Ron is obviously someone who has this type of experience in building double rifles.
However it would be a rather useless debate if one person said "this is how you must or must not do it" and everyone else agreed.

Threads on homemade doubles IMO can be put right next to threads on 45-70 for DG, 458 Win vs 458 Lott, buckshot for DG, and buffalo charges on video.
All those topics seem to bring out the best and worst from forum members at times.

Any statements I make regarding double rifles built on shotgun frames will deal with safety as the NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.
Also I will not get deeply involved in threads where I do not have some experience.
ANY claims that I make or have made here, I am happy to back up.
I would also like to mention that I do not participate in any other forums involved in shooting or hunting or building rifles.
There is far too much drama involved on other forums and I am not interested in the constant fighting like what seems the norm at other sites.

As others have said you do need to have a thick hide to avoid being offended at times on the net type discussions.
Those who think their hide has been pierced could maybe sometimes benefit from reading some of their own words which may well have done a little hide piercing themselves.
It usually takes two to tango.

Ron,
One of the good things to come out of this is that we have all found out something about your background and experience building your own doubles.
As Marrakai and others have said we can all benefit from what you know.
I really cannot see any reason for you to want to leave over a difference in opinion.
Lets bury the solder issue right now and you do it your way and I'll do it mine.
Enough said about solder.
You ain't gonna change your mind and I sure as hell ain't gonna change mine so lets move on and talk some more about doubles.
Yes, life is too bloody short.
Cheers
four7tee

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #33343 - 18/06/05 09:34 PM

DITO

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #33355 - 19/06/05 02:10 AM

Alan

I agree with a lot of what you said in that post. Not interested in taking sides in a dispute at all though.

As for the role of a MODERATOR on NE.com. i saw some comments on that and wanted to elaborate for the benefit of members.

These forums are pretty open forums. "Moderators" is a hard coded term used by the forum software. I prefer the term "Forum Leader". I discussed with every "Forum Leader" what is required or what the role basically is. One of the main considerations was to keep discussions going, help with info or answer questions when possible. We don't really get into "moderation" much at all and members need to understand that. People are expected to try to keep good manners however. "Forum Leaders" aren't paid anything and are here for fun and interest. Similarly membership is free so no one can complain if the forums is not what they personally want.

Alan raised the safety issue and I do see a "forum leaders" role as including pointing out when they think something posted may not be safe or advisable. If the reader then can read the original statement and the contary view, well it is up to them if they want to do it or not. In some cases we will definitely ACT and remove the comments (eg if someone posts an obviously excessive reloading charge). Safety as an issue is paramount when people provide advice on what to do when reloading or building firearms.

I agree these "building homemade doubles" are quite likely to get contary opinions. The nature of the beast.

To anyone that can build their own double and isn't a professional in the trade I also respect that too.

Alan McKenzie summed it up well with DITTO.

Enough said I think.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
      #33470 - 20/06/05 08:55 PM

I hope to build one someday. I have to finish my 600 OK first and then one more bolt rifle.(dont have a longrange rifle other than a 45/110 sharps if I get drawn for pronghorns) I thought I had a donor action. I bought a crossbolt 12gauge shotgun CHEAP. It turned out to be a real wj jeffery 12 gauge hammer shotgun. I decided not to cut it up as it is in good shape.
I want to build a 303british double so the action was a bit on the big side also.
I might be crazy but with todays materials, machines and wealth of knowlege I think a man with talent can build a double rifle himself. They were built by men not witches.
The hard part is finding someone willing to share that knowlege that isnt just blowing smoke.
Dean

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: deant]
      #33477 - 20/06/05 11:33 PM

On these doubles built on a shotgun frame, what is the ideal "donor" shotgun actions to consider - for a smaller medium sized chambering such as a .303, .318,. 333 or even a 7x65 R.

Preferably a side by side. And not so big in frame that it is unweildly. Would a 20 gauge be better than a 12 gauge ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

unspellable
.300 member

Re: soldering the monobloc [Re: NitroX]
      #33484 - 21/06/05 01:10 AM

At this point in time I will offer no opinions as to what solder is suitable and what solder is not. However, I will point out that comparing tensile strengths of various solders is totally irrelevant as the solder is not placed in tension. The question is one of shear strength. The shear strength of the solder is the property that should be considered. The area of the joint is quite large so given a good quality joint the required shear strength of the solder may be less than intuition would lead one to think. I would hazard to guess that the quality of the joint may be of more importance than the choice of solder.

Also the stress is related to backthrust of the cartridge rather than pressure. I have noticed a tendency for people to think solely in terms of pressure when considering the stresses placed on a fire arm, to the exclusion of other stress factors which are often more important. The prime example being the cycling operation of a recoil operated self loading handgun where the cartridge impulse is far more important than the pressure which is almost irrelevant.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #33488 - 21/06/05 04:25 AM

Nitro

Size is important if you want a rifle that has some handling characteristics. The distance of the firing pins will determine the size and weight of the barrels.

A friend once had a 600NE with a set of .375 barrels. The .375 weighed more than the 600 because of the amount of extra steel needed for the smaller holes.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: mickey]
      #33499 - 21/06/05 01:02 PM

Yes that is true. I remember reading that to use the Greener Empire action something around a .577 Light NE was suitable. Going much smaller might be an issue.

So that was the question, what sort of shotgun action would be suitable for say a 7mm or a .333 range of barrels? Strength and size considered?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (22/06/05 12:24 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #33504 - 21/06/05 01:34 PM

NitroX,

My small bore DR's are all on frames the size of a 28ga. shotgun. I measured them against a 28ga. pre-war J.P. Sauer I had, and they matched, including firing pin spacing. Of course, they are rifle frames, not shotguns, but that is the correct size for the purpose.

What shotgun action makes a good "donor" and what size, I don't have a clue. It seems that good small bore shotguns come pretty dear these days. Instead of wrecking one for a home-made rifle I think one should just consider buying the rifle.

Interesting concepts, though.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

balltip
.224 member

#33567 - 22/06/05 07:27 AM

Oh, this one took off!
Being away from the net for a few days and I see that there has been some discussions going on. Oh well, I believe that some good has come out from all this!

Yes Unspellabe, you got a point. Shear force is what counts when it comes to holding the barrels in a mono block. Let us now (just for the FUN of it - I won't be around til monday to "defend" my opinions cos I am going away for something that we up here in the cold north refer to as "midsommar" - midsummer. Yep, we actually still celebrate the sun up here in the sense that we have kept up the tradition of partying our socks off on the longest day of the year! ) take a look at what kind of forces that affect the barrel-to-mono block-joint.
Assuming we are using a cartridge generating a chamber pressure of 25.000 psi (I am in way ower my head here cos I really should be making these calculations using the metric system. Oh well..)
Then we get a chamber pressure of exactly that - 25.000 psi. Yep, Pounds per Square Inch.
Now, how large an area does this theoretical cartridge have on it's base? Again assuming that it has an diameter of ½", it would be (and now my maths is failing me but isn't circular areas calculated by taking multiplying PI (3.14) with the (radius square 2)
But to make it simpler, let us say that the base area of the case used is 1/4" square.
Now that means that the shearing force the solder joint would need to have not to break under the pressure from the shot fired would be 1/4 of chamber pressure (this not taking into account that the case itself does cling a tiny bit to the walls of the chamber. However, a brass case won't stand to all that much pressure so we will just forget about that to keep things simple).
1/4 of chamber pressure would in this case be (25.000 divided by 4) = 6.250
One square inch of relatively soft solder will hold about 4.000 pounds before it shears - see link;

http://www.efdsolder.com/prod_alloys.htm

Sorry, but melting temps are graded using Centigrade.

If we then assume that the area holding the barrel joint is equal to 6 square inches (see earlier post that I made, I don't wanna take you through that calculation again except for saying that one square inch is equal to 6,45 square centimeters) the joint will hold 4.000 x 6 = 24.000 pounds.
Now that is pretty much to hold down a thrust force of 6.250 pounds, isn't it?

And now - PLEASE correct me if I made any faults in my calculations!

When it comes to choosing the "right" size of shotgun for building a rifle I would say that the smaller you can get your hands on, the better. A 24ga would propably be great! Husqvarna made a series of double rifles in 9,3x74R on their model 310 (anson deeley type) 20ga action. I even aquired one of those rare shotguns (about only 500 20ga model 310 were made) just to build my own set of barrels. But then again I sold that one off in about 2 days time... Easiest sell I will make. Ever! Quite profitable too...

The good part about using a smaller shotgun than 12ga for building a double rifle is that the distance between the center of the bores versus the action itself gets smaller. Hence less torque on the barrel to action joint.
Really neat doubles are built on small actions. So a good start would be 16ga or less. I have heard that at least one of Husqvarnas double rifles were made on the 310 in 12ga - still chambered for the 9,3x74R.
Just remember NOT to use any old shotgun - go for a good solid quality one - and have it proofed!

A relatively cheap action that still is somewhat available is the Merkel model 8 in 20ga. A good starting point! If lucky you can pick one up at about $800 US. At least here in Sweden, that is.

When it comes to barrel diameters necessary I am not the man. All I know is that the outside diameter of the rifle barrel on my Merkel SLII combo gun in 20ga/7x57R is relatively slim. But as I don't want to run off to the gun safe and take an exact measurement right now I'll post the exact O/D of the chamber only if somebody asks. But take a look at any drilling or combination gun, and you will see that the diameter of the rifle barrel thins out rapidly. So there is no need for THAT much material to keep the demons of pressure at bay.

To sum his my post up I would like to add that whatever you do - IF you build yourself a double rifle - make pretty darn sure that you have somebody at hand that can show you hands on how to, and that you get it proofed before you actually fire it from the soulder!

Kind regards

Per

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #33569 - 22/06/05 08:10 AM

NitroX,

Don't get caried away - 577 Nitro FOR Black (sometimes referred to as LIGHT Nitro)
NOT a full 577 Nitro.

We don't want people killing themselves !!!
(Well, I suppose it depends who)

A Greener action will handle anything up to 577 Light Nitro, ie 500 Light Nitro

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #33573 - 22/06/05 12:33 PM

I have edited my post.

So a Greener will only handle the 2 3/4" case for the .577 NE? Or are you saying it can handle the 3" case but only Nitro for BP loads?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

#33624 - 22/06/05 07:51 PM

For anyone thinking about building a double on a shotgun action here are a few things to think about.

For a cartridge like the 375 flanged magnum, chamber pressures could be in the region of 50,000 psi or higher.
If a proof load is used at plus 30 percent this will mean that the chamber pressure could be around 70,000 psi for the proving load.
That's seventy thousand pounds per square inch.

I think it unwise and unsafe to calculate any monoblok to barrel join shear rating at 100 percent.
To do so assumes that the solder join is 100 percent perfect and as the join is hidden from view an assumption is all you have, there is no visual proof.

Shear strength should be calculated, but when dealing with a cartridge being fired in a barrel chamber there are other important stresses on the barrel to monoblok join which need to be considered.

Back thrust / axial force is directly related to pressure and is directly proportional to it.

While axial force needs to be factored in to the safety calculations, so does chamber pressure as both can affect the ability of the soldered joint to withstand the loads and stresses it must endure.

Chamber pressure alone (in home built doubles) can in some situations degrade the solder join when a soft solder is used between barrel and monobloc.

The bottom line is that you may never get any warning that the join is weak or has weakened.
IMO this is a risk far to high to accept.

Are there are any manufacturers who build double rifles on the monobloc system using shotgun actions and who rely on nothing more than tin/lead solder to hold the barrels into the monobloc?

More later........

unspellable
.300 member

#33631 - 22/06/05 10:37 PM

Seems to me that a mono-bloc lends itself to X-ray inspection. Since the solder is quite dissimilar to steel, at least the joint coverage or extent of wicking should show up in an X-ray. This would be no substitute for prooving, but I'd do an X-ray inspection before prooving. If the joint looks poor in the X-ray it can be redone before you blow things apart with a proof load.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: homemade doubles [Re: unspellable]
      #33648 - 23/06/05 12:42 AM

Does anybody know what method Beretta uses to assemble their barrels? Beretta has to be the premier maker for the use of true monoblocks.

I say "true monoblocks" to distinguish what is being discussed here. The method here is to take chopper lump, dovetail lump, or shoe lump shotgun barrels, cut them off in front of the chambers, ream them out to accept the shank of a rifle barrel, and attach the rifle barrels by some fashion. While the breach end of the shotgun barrels resembles a monoblock it is no such thing. It is an assembly itself, not an integral piece, as in a Beretta.

The point has been made that the heat required to braze or silver solder the barrel shanks into this assembly has the potential to cause the assembly itself to separate. Were it a true monoblock there would be no such risk. Of course, I am not addressing the issue of whether the heat might affect the strength of the steel.

I have read several books about building double guns (the real way, not "home made"), and in each account it is said that the maker brazes or silver solders the assembly at the breach, and then uses "soft" solder for the other parts (ribs, wedge, forend hook, etc.). The point is stated that the balance of the assembly process can proceed without fear that the joint(s) at the breach might come loose.

Interesting discussion here, although I will never be trying any of these things.

Regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: homemade doubles [Re: CptCurl]
      #33707 - 23/06/05 05:12 PM

Curl,
Good point about "true monoblocks".
If I was intending to build a double for serious use as opposed to casual use and build it for a serious cartridge which developed high pressure and intended to use a shotgun action, I would insist on a true monoblock and would not consider using a cut up set of barrels.
I would also want the barrels to be silver soldered to the monoblock.

If on the other hand i had a shotgun action which i wanted to build into a double rifle, and that shottie used dovetail or chopper lumps, i would not want to use a high pressure cartridge.
To avoid any risk of melting the dovetail or chopper lump join i would use high temp solder to join the barrels to the "untrue monoblock".
Force 44 Hi Temp or equivelant would be my choice and then the rest of the barrel assembley could be done in force 44 without risk of melting any of the barrel to u-t mono to lump joins.

I own 3 doubles built on shottie actions and all three use true monoblocks and all three use silver solder at the mono barrel join.

Also a good point about Beretta.
Cheers

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: homemade doubles [Re: unspellable]
      #33723 - 23/06/05 07:44 PM

X-ray is an interesting idea.
I'm not sure whether it will clearly show flaws in the solder join though.

Also, with the use of tin/lead solder at the mono to barrel join, X rays bring further problems.
If the X ray did show flaws in the join the best time to discover this would be before any more work is done to the barrels like rib laying etc.
Any flaw with the join is not going to be fixed merely by reheating and re soldering.
The barrels will both have to be removed from the monoblock, be cleaned and prepared again and refluxed and retinned and reassembled and resoldered.
It would be far easier to do this before the ribs are laid of course.

So let's assume that you get a good showing of the join in the x ray and all appears well.
This may happen on the first, second, third or tenth time, it really doesn't matter, you now have a good tin/lead join.

Time to go ahead then and finish the barrel set, and lay the ribs along with any other attachments, barrel hook, sling eye, sights etc.

Now for the bad news.
You have a good or perfect join at the barrels to monoblock.
You know this because of the x ray, but that x ray is about to become worthless because when you lay the ribs etc the temp required will remelt the monoblock to barrel tin/lead join.
The perfect x rayed soft solder joint has now been compromised by being remelted after the x ray was done.

Any clearance between the barrels and monoblock will worsen the problem by allowing movement to occurr at the join.

Another x ray will be required and if it were to show that the join is no longer perfect the entire barrel set will have to be stripped and redone with the possability of the same thing happening all over again.

A quality join of barrel to monoblock using a silver or high temp solder can eliminate many of the problems regarding the use of tin/lead solder for this join, IMO.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#33731 - 23/06/05 10:03 PM

4seventy,

Would you tell us some details about your 3 DR's built on shotty actions? I would be interested to know the calibers, the action sizes, the original makers of the actions, how and when the DR conversion was done, and by whom. Also the end result in terms of shootability and accuracy. How well have they held up, and how much shooting have you done with them? Where did the "true monoblocks" come from. What do they weigh?

Were your conversions proofed? If so, by whom and to what standards?

Can you give a comparison of the economics of your conversions at the times they were done, as compared to sourcing a similiar, original DR from the open market?

Lots of questions, lots of curiosity.

Best regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#33732 - 23/06/05 10:05 PM

Al,

You might even post some pics if you have them.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: homemade doubles [Re: CptCurl]
      #33864 - 26/06/05 11:26 AM

Curl,
Thanks for the interest in those guns.
I believe the story behind two in particular are rather interesting indeed.
It may take a while but I will do a story on them at some time and include some photos.

4seventy
Sponsor

#33950 - 27/06/05 04:41 PM

In reply to:

Chamber pressure alone (in home built doubles) can in some situations degrade the solder join when a soft solder is used between barrel and monobloc

I mentioned this in an earlier post and thought I might add a little to it.

When a double rifle is built from scratch it is possible to ensure that the thickness of the barrel chamber wall is adequate to handle the required plus 30% proof load of the cartridge to be used.
This will of course mean that the chamber wall thickness will quite easily handle the normal pressure of that cartridge.
On the other hand, when building a double rifle from a shotgun action where either the barrels will be sleeved into a monoblock or a cut off chamber section of barrels, the chamber wall thickness of the barrels alone may by necessity be quite thin.
Maybe too thin to totally contain the chamber pressure without some expansion taking place.
Sometimes this barrel chamber wall may only be around 1/8" or 125 thou.
This can be compensated or assisted by the fact that the monoblock will be surrounding and supporting the barrel chamber and therefore increasing the overall thickness of the total chamber wall.
Well maybe, maybe not.
If a clearance was used between the barrel and monoblock to assist solder flow,(a common practice) this would mean that a "sandwich" has been created where a thin layer (a few thou) of solder is filling the gap between the barrel steel and the monoblock steel.
If a hard solder is used in this sandwich there is a good chance that the total combined thickness of barrel chamber wall plus monoblock wall will be available to contain the pressure.
If a tin/lead solder is used in the sandwich and the barrel chamber wall alone cannot fully contain the pressure of a possible 70,000 psi proof load, the solder could be subjected to a compression load far beyond what it can safely endure.
If this happens the solder join will/could be severly compromised.

All just opinion of course.......nothing more

Edited by 4seventy (27/06/05 06:10 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: **
Topic views: 19283

You rated this topic a 2.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com