Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless)
      #325154 - 25/02/19 04:34 PM

Here's an interesting little bit that I found on the 'net regarding loads for the M1910:

The Cast Bullet Association, Inc.

The follow appeared in the May/June 2003, #232 issue of the Fouling Shot.

(Editor’s note: We recently came into possession of some of Frank Marshall’s old notebooks with his writings that “had not seen the light of day.” We have not had a chance to take a complete inventory of them but it looks like there is a couple years worth of material there. Enjoy!)

When I wound up with the 9.5x57 Tyrolean mountain style Mannlicher Schoenauer with the 20” barrel, it made a good pair with my scoped, 25” barreled M96 Swedish Mauser, also in the 9.5x57 unique big bore concept. My loading tools were suited to either one, including the 50¢310 tool bullet size die converted to a taper tool to form cast bullets for a match grade fit in the taper throats. The only bullet I couldn’t use through the Mannlicher Schoenauer’s spool magazine (without the base being below the neck) was the long 330 grain bullet, due to its 1.2” length, which fit and fed fine from the M96’s stagger Mauser magazine when seated to the base of the neck, including a lubed felt base wad. This was the old 38-55 target bullet #375166, a plain base, which at 1400 muzzle velocity from the 12” twist was a windy day winner. However, due to the very similar taper throat in both rifles I could use that very accurate bullet form single loaded in the M.S. chamber, #375166 after tapering the front band.

The idea of leaving the M96 Swede always scoped was much easier now, as frequent off and on didn’t do those claw and spring lock high mounts any favors. Slight impact changes were usually evident after putting the scope back on, but they were very stable when left alone. I hoped I could keep the M.S. carbine sighted in with an all-around North woods load with the two leaf open rear sights.The landed gentry dude that had had the 9.5 M.S. for his brief cast load enthusiastic fling, before he let me have it for a song with all the reload tools, components, etc., had altered the open sights to a wide “V” British style, tuned to his standard cast woods load. This load con-sisted of the great 38-55 cast bullet #375296 gas check, .380” diameter from the mould and tapered on two front bands to fit the taper throat. (I have found over the #375296 years the cast bullet tapered to fit the European normal throat taper was a positive favor for lead loads.) The low leaf was dead on at 50 yards, with the high leaf dead center at 125 yards. With this bullet doing about 1600 m.v., this load about duplicated the 38-55 famous cast load, about equal to the factory high velocity load with a 255 grain jacketed bullet, but the heavier cast load did it better.

For hunting, this heavier cast bullet, by 25 grains, was responsible for the 38-55’s high repute. Invariably at turkey shoots I had seen that load in a 38-55 stiff pipe long-tom Winchester or Marlin outshoot the factory jack-eted bullet and reloaded jacketed bullets, if the cast loader knew what he was doing. At the hunt camps it was the same story plus cleaner kills quite notably.

From the handy hiker 9.5 mm Carbine this same load was adequate, more accurate and very comfortable to shoot, in addition the standard M.S. stock length of 14” from the single trigger suiting me much better than the standard American stock length of 13” plus a little.

As Will the Wizard put it, “Duke, you got yourself a glorified H.V. 38-55 slick shooting handy ridge runner there and a real class act to boot.” I says smugly, “That was the whole idea.

”Except for refining the landed gentry’s standard load a little via orientation, etc., I also was very pleased to use that load as my standard load for hunting, but I thought I could do better.

I had had lots of luck with the .380” old 38-55 standard 255 grain plain base bullet #375248 and the 38-72 plain base #375167 of 275 grains, both doing very good in the 1100 to 1400 f.p.s. area from 12” twist foreign forms of barrels.

I did a batch of the 38-72 round nose bullets since in the M.S. spool magazine I didn’t have to go with a flat nose as in the tube magazine. To run through a spool magazine, this round nose bullet worked perfect with a felt wad or a heavy card wad stuck to the base with old Lyman black magic lube. Seated to the base of the neck and with the front band tapered, half of which blended with the nose ogive, I was ready to bet on 1400 m.v., hoping the long range leaf would suit this load at 50 yards.

I was ready at the coops with tools and components in hand to work it out right now with the turkey shoot that same afternoon my goal as the final proof. (Editor’s note: The “coops” was an old chicken coop that Frank’s Uncle Will had turned into a private indoor range.) To show how a round nose shoots a heluva lot flatter than a flat nose, it came out that the 125 yard sight hit too high and the 50 yard sight was almost right and just a little more velocity, or near 1400 m.v. allowed my favored center hold good on game or bulls eyes. The vibrations seemed more favorable since the groups then seemed slightly rounder for five.

So here I was, unexpectedly now, with a load right about on at 50 that the faster flat nose standard load also matched for on at 50, even though quite a bit more powerful. The barrel node and vibration factor seemed to be quite significant also but this condition remained quite uniformly favorable from that stiff pipe full stock Mannlicher Schoenauer.

By the time I got over to the shoot, wolfed down a couple grilled dogs and a cold cider, the third round of 20 shooters was about over and looking at the targets that cool October day. I knew some hot shots were present and every one was in the pot and on the big bird both. Right away I was wondering whyunhel I hadn’t brought the “Match Rifle” sweet Swede with such nice pots being won. The old rolled Indian blanket over a log, on which you laid the back of your hand, in which you held the rifle, was the way I’d sighted in, so no alibi there. By the time I was out six bucks the sun was sliding fast behind the hill behind us with the target now in deep shade, and the last round had 26 “last hope” shooters.

I drew ticket #26, with two shooters shooting at a time on two targets. Most were shooting in a hurry, so I waited for my pair-up man to shoot first. The guy with the spot scope says, “Wow!” very loudly. The shooter says, “Where is it?” The spot scope guy says, “A fat ten, and might go an X.” The Shooter says, “We eat turkey tomor-row, by gorra!” The spot guy says, “Yah, and you can pay me back that 10-spot you owe me.”

About then my careful squeeze as the bead sight pic-ture looked perfect broke, and I says to myself, “If this shot goes where it should, I’m in business.” Although I knew that if the other guy was in for an X, I’d have to be lucky as hell as usual.

The spot scope guy was very quiet, but when I got up he says, “What un-Goshen is that kind of gun? And you’re the last shooter. Well, I’ll be.” Both of us were sat-isfied it was a tie nipper X, but it was by then too dark to shoot it off, so we took 13 bucks apiece and since the shoot sponsors had done so good that day they gave us each a nice dressed bird. They ate turkey, by gorra, the spot scope guy got his 10 bucks back and the little Mannlicher Schoenauer made money and meat the first match. The others said, “What dumb luck, shooting in the dark. That mill town Duke kid is spooky.”

For the rest of the dressed turkey season, (the only kind up north at that time) the little M.S. with the medium load, just a little more powerful than a standard 38-55 original load, held its own, about matching the high Swedish 9.5x57 previous years score to put me well ahead using the 38-72 round nose bullet, tapered to fit the throat. This load was actually just about equal to the old 38-72 which never was given the H.V. boost for the original black powder M95 Winchester, although they did put out a smokeless load with a jacketed 275 grain bullet.

When that load didn’t draw flies in that depressed period, nor had the 38-72 been very popular from the first day, I managed to pick up a stash of the very nice .377” jacketed 275 grain round soft nose bullets in case I got into a “frequent lazy spell” or caught at a “time to go huntin’” and nothing yet cast and had to load up in a hurry.

Among the fellow’s stuff that came with the M.S. I found the original open rear sight with two leaves marked 100 and 200 meters and so I got hot to try a full fireworks factory duplicate load, or close using the 275 grain jack-eted bullet.

The 9.5x57, 20” barrel Austrian alpine classic was touted primarily as a medium bore Africa/India (or European boar) handy piece and was respected to the degree that all the European ammo plants made the one standard load of a 270 grain soft nose and a solid at a muzzle velocity of 2150 f.p.s. for quite a load from such a relatively light carbine, as rifles went at that time. (This cartridge and rifle was held as 80% of a 375 H&H Mag. at 30% of the price, 50% handier, and you had to get 20% closer.) The Brits called it the 375 x 2-1/4” Nitro. The metric was called the 9.5x56 and/or 9.5x57, all one and the same unique cartridge.

Brought out in 1910, the case body is one of the least tapered of any bottleneck case with only .005” on a side or from .470” diameter at the base to .460” at the shoulder, which was a fairly steep angle to the neck diameter of .400”. This was the Steyr solution to use the Mauser case head size for a fair diameter bullet with adequate headspace bearing on the shoulder angle. Although quite a radical case design, it fed flawlessly from the slick spool magazine, also a feature of the precision made Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles. Boxer 30-06 cases are easily sized back and necked up to fire-form to 9.5x57.

The case volume at easy pressure is very favorable to a first rate heavy bullet woods load. Over the years I have used loads in this case ranging from a round ball indoor plinker or outdoors for rodents or small game, up to the 375 H&H 300 grain jacketed slug at 2000 m.v. using post WWII components. This case apparently is quite efficient. The advantage of using 30-06 brass is that the shoulder can be located to exactly suit the head-space in your individual rifle for easy openers.

The 275 grain old 38-72 jacketed soft round nose is designed for woods use at 1300 impact velocity. At 2000 m.v. it was a woods bomb. The original 275 grain swaged lead round nose bullet at 1425 m.v. from a 26” M95 Winchester barrel with black powder reflects that the “Big Red W” (Winchester) was not what you’d call“up with the progress” in the world’s small arms race. Be that as it was, Uncle Will had also come by a pile of boththe swaged lead nice round nose bullets and also the jacketed 275 grain soft nose bullets. (I had also acquireda stash of the 38-72 jacketed bullets.) The 38-72 Winchester M95 tuned to black powder was one spin in22”. In the 12” twist of the 9.5x57 with normal .006” deep grooves we got near 1500 m.v. using fast bump-up #80,or good old “lots of loads to a can” Unique with these .378” swaged soft bullets for better accuracy than revealed by the M95, 26” barrel. (We tapered the front bands of this factory lead bullet to suit our taper throats.) Using the jacketed .377” bullet in the 12” twist revealed much better accuracy than from a M95 shot at original 1425 m.v. with its 22” twist. The 38-72 jackets were thin compared to the 375 H&H 270 grain jacketed bullet of .375” diameter.

This Mannlicher Schoenauer with a .378” groove diameter was more accurate with the .378” 38-72 jacket-ed bullet than with the .375” 270 grain bullet and the .378” 38-72 jacketed bullets came free, which didn’t encourage me to cast when the shop shelves then were sagging under the weight of those pretty 38-72 precision jacketed jolters.

With the original open sights back in place and my bench work reload tools on location to do it up quick withthe 38-72 jacketed loads, I soon had a 2000 m.v. load that liked the 275 grain bullet and was on at 100 with that leaf and a real impressive whumper in the tough oak log butts. At the 50 yard turkey shoot range I had to see a little black over the front bead to center the group on the 100 yard bull using the low 100 meter rear sight. Using the 200 meter sight at 100 yards, the impact was five inches high which is a very flat trajectory for a short range rifle when you consider it from a practical utility viewpoint. This trajectory would indicate close to 2000m.v. using iron sights. Impact velocity at 200 yards would be about 1500 f.p.s., or about equal to the 38-55H.V. jacketed load’s muzzle velocity, and this with a 20 grain heavier 38-72 jacketed bullet. While probably notan ideal brown bear load, or even for polar bear out at 200 yards, up close such a load would not be the worstto be caught short with and in the North-East area of my concern, you wouldn’t have to back away from anything known.

Using 270 grain 375 H&H bullets which were not as blunt nosed as the 275 grain 38-72 round nose bullets, with the same charge put the group higher at all ranges. British factory 270 grain loads that came with the rifle, shot against my handloads, were about on at 100 yards with the 100 meter sight but not as accurate. I was convinced that I had a very good 38-72 275 grain jacketed bullet woods load. (Often I would use jacketed bullets if invited to a camp that scorned cast.)

Having satisfied myself that I had a heluva jolting choice of “jacked” loads for this little rifle from the 300 grain Holland & Holland solid on down to the 255 grain 38-55 jacketed bullets, all hard to get in those days, when the factories, buy a long shot, didn’t encourage reloading, I got back to that cozy, comfortable 275 grain nice round nose form 38-72 plain base bullet at 1400 m.v. in a moderate alloy. Tapered on the two front bands with the rear end a full .380” diameter I had a match grade taper neck and throat fit both, not to mention an exact bore ride nose favor. When orient indexing all steps from mould to loading into chamber and using all dies involved free floating for self centering, I actually enjoyed the full accuracy potential of this pure sporting form of fusil, tested indoors. Some top coops opiners were quick to point out, “Who the hell would ever believe such a gun could do that?”

I then used that same load in the classic “Sweet Swede” 9.5x57 and got the same results and reaction from the coops counselors. Needless to say, I stayed lucky with that little M.S. 9.5x57.

As ever, Frank Marshall Jr.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #325174 - 26/02/19 02:22 AM

Thank you so much Rothhammer for posting this as I thoroughly enjoyed it! I always went straight to the "Speaking Frankly" article when a new "Fouling Shot" magazine showed up. Making me want a M1910 even more! ;-)

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: JDL]
      #325189 - 26/02/19 07:08 AM

Frank wrote "When I wound up with the 9.5x57 Tyrolean mountain style Mannlicher Schoenauer with the 20" barrel, it made a good pair with my scoped, 25" barreled M96 Swedish Mauser, also in the 9.5x57 unique big bore concept. My loading tools were suited to either one, including the 50¢ 310 tool bullet size die converted to a taper tool to form cast bullets for a match..." I know the M.96 was chambered in 9.3x57 but, haven't ever heard of one in 9.5x57. What's your take on this? Rebarrelled or maybe sizing down the 375166 enough to fit the M.96?

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#325207 - 26/02/19 11:40 PM

Quote:

I know the M.96 was chambered in 9.3x57 but, haven't ever heard of one in 9.5x57. What's your take on this? Rebarrelled or maybe sizing down the 375166 enough to fit the M.96?

That 'threw' me a bit, as well. Perhaps the author was referring to a custom ordered or rebarrelled Mauser? As I am not well versed on Mausers, I'd be guessing. Perhaps the clue lies in his term, "unique big bore concept"?

I do know that Mauser had several offerings (including raw 'actions') available by 1939 for 9X57 and 9.3X62 cartridges. Some images from the '39 Stoeger:

Oddly enough, when I ordered dies from RCBS in 1990 or so for my M1910, they arrived in a box marked thus:

This gave me pause at the time, I called them (pre - internet) and they assured me that they were proper for the 9.5X57 Mannlicher Schönauer. They make nice duplicates of DWM 531.

A rough scan, but these are, left to right, 1) 9.5X57 as ordered from Reed's Ammunition and Research, 2) My old unfired handload from .35 Whelen worked through the RCBS dies, 3) original (1926) DWM 531, 4) once fired from the .35 'reworks'.

The projectiles in the Reeds and in my own handload pictured are Hornady 3715 (.375 270 grain RN) which, unfortunately, seem to be nearly extinct these days.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #325227 - 27/02/19 07:17 AM

Great read RH - interesting article!
What are your loads then for the 9.5x57MS?

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: 93x64mm]
      #325235 - 27/02/19 09:46 AM

Quote:

What are your loads then for the 9.5x57MS?

I was running 42 grains of IMR 4895 behind the Hornady 3715.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#326395 - 25/03/19 06:25 PM

These are the proper RCBS dies for the M1910 Mannlicher Schönauer, available (1) on Ebay for $99.98 delivered, 'or best offer' (U.S.).

Click link for Ebay listing: Ebay

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #326404 - 25/03/19 11:59 PM

Quote:

Frank wrote "When I wound up with the 9.5x57 Tyrolean mountain style Mannlicher Schoenauer with the 20" barrel, it made a good pair with my scoped, 25" barreled M96 Swedish Mauser, also in the 9.5x57 unique big bore concept. My loading tools were suited to either one, including the 50¢ 310 tool bullet size die converted to a taper tool to form cast bullets for a match..." I know the M.96 was chambered in 9.3x57 but, haven't ever heard of one in 9.5x57. What's your take on this? Rebarrelled or maybe sizing down the 375166 enough to fit the M.96?

never heard of a swedish mauser in 9,5x56 not even a 9x57

they were allways made in 9,3x57 than stepped up to 9,3x62

of course, when you go through swedish auction house catalogs you see a lot of german made 9x57, Mannlicher Schönauer in 9x56 and 9,5x56 also more than usual. only curiosity I remember years ago was a Mannlicher Schönauer (1905 ?) in 9,3x57. this was probably a post war project when original ammo became scarce. I bought a ammo lot once from sweden - different 9x57 Mauser cartridges from an estate with some 9x56 Mannlicher Schönauer in.
no doubt they shoot the 9x56 in 9x57 Mauser when on hand.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: lancaster]
      #326416 - 26/03/19 04:09 AM

Tradeexcanada had, maybe still has M98s in 9x57 Mauser for sale in the same lot as his M98, M46, M146 and M246 Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55, 8x57, 9.3x57, 9.3x62 and a few in 30/06. These all came over from Sweden, seems to me, so I thought they were all Swedish Mausers.
ALL of the 9x57's were M98's, though, none in M96's or M94's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tact1
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/17
Loc: Bahama, North Carolina USA
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: DarylS]
      #326783 - 03/04/19 08:11 AM

I have a Ruger No.1 that was re-barreled to .375 Nitro Express Rimless. Don't know why someone would rebarrel a modern rifle for an obsolete round but I like it for what it is. I used 8mm Mauser cases to form the 9.5x57 M-S. I was lucky enough to find a used set of RCBS dies cheap at an auction. I also use Quality Cartridge cases now that they are in production. I will use it for deer hunting locally so I tried the 220 gr. Hornady intended for the .375 Winchester. I used 50.0 of IMR 4895 for 2345fps, OAL 2.8". I also like the Barnes 235gr. TSX bullet loaded with 46.4 of IMR 3031 2267fps with an OAL of 2.955

--------------------
If your parents don't have children, you won't either

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: tact1]
      #326799 - 03/04/19 06:26 PM

Quote:

I have a Ruger No.1 that was re-barreled to .375 Nitro Express Rimless. Don't know why someone would rebarrel a modern rifle for an obsolete round but I like it for what it is.

Very cool. I'd like to have one.

It could have been that someone wanted to 'push' loads for the 9.5X57 without risking damage to an M1910 (or self)? Other wild guesses are that someone was particularly fond of the 9.5X57 but desired a wider selection of projectiles than those that function well in the M1910's Schönauer magazine, or perhaps just wanted a nice drop - block single shot in .375 RNE?

Here's a post from another 'site wherein someone is contemplating a 9.5X57 build on an M96 'Swedish Mauser':

9.5x57 on a Swedish M96
ShortRifleFan Offline

Virginia, USA
I am thinking about having a 9.5x57 MS built on a 1907 Swedish M96. I like the metal on the old M96 actions and have a couple that were butchered up before I acquired them.

According to Wikipedia: The 9.5x57mm Mannlicher-Sch�nauer (MS) cartridge was adopted for the M-1910 MS rifle and carbine in 1910. The 9.5x57mm MS is also known as the 9.5x56mm MS, the 9.5x56.7mm MS, and the .375 Rimless Nitro Express x 2-1/4. Factory loads were manufactured with a 270-grain (17 g) round-nose bullet at from 2,150 ft/s (from the carbine) to 2,250 ft/s (from the rifle). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.5x57mm_Mannlicher-Schoenauer)

According to Karl Kleimenhagen: The CIP piezo pressure specification for this cartridge is estimated to be 44,000 psi. This compares to 55,000 psi for the 6.5x55 Swedish. (http://kwk.us/pressures.html)

I have some unanswered questions about this cartridge.

1. What is the cartridge overall length? (I saw a post claiming it was 2.94 inches.)

2. What are the maximum case length and trim length?

3. Does anyone have a web resource for the cartridge drawing?

4. Assuming the overall cartridge length is <= 3.15 inch, is there any reason that Swedish M96 rifles could not be fitted with a new barrel for this cartridge? I have been told that the difference in head diameter is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

He was close on the overall length:

One of the replies was interesting, as well:

Re: 9.5x57 on a Swedish M96 [Re: Dons1]
Tedly Offline

ShortRifleFan;
I'm a gunsmith with quite alot of experience in 9.5x57 Mannlicher/Schoenauer.Over the last 30 yrs. our firm has built up several rifles.We have the reamer,headspace gauges,etc. My 1st 9.5x57 project was a rebore up from 9x56MS on a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1905 rifle. That bbl. was so corroded it was necessary. In retrospect I had originally thought about 9.3x57, but wanted an original MS factory chambering for both feeding/mag issues and asthetics.Any M96 action is more than ample for the load.While it is possible to overload anything , keep in mind that the working pressures are far below any limit on the M96 Swede action.I would choose a different action for other reasons, like a M98 just for cock on opening feature, not strenghth.Possibly a small ring or Portuguese Veguerio.
My standard load is 235gr. Speer semi spitzer bullet on a reformed 30/06 case.I use IMR 3031 at 46.0gr yields approx. 2050 fps. through chrono.Also shoot 48.5 gr,but can't find the chrono data.Chrono needs to be rechecked.In any event, I haven't any need to go faster ,I did use it to kill a young black bear , about 150 lbs. It performed well,other guys in the shop and our customers have used it on wild boar and exotics on a game ranch...all very dead.Repost to contact me.

Here's a review of the Ruger No. 1 'Tropical' in .450/.400 :

Shooting UK

--------------------

tact1
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/17
Loc: Bahama, North Carolina USA
      #327019 - 09/04/19 09:13 AM

In the same auction I bought the .375 NE Rimless in I also bought another Ruger No.1 in 6.5x53R. Done by Marquart Precision it has a 27" barrel but has a nice taper so it isn't really muzzle heavy. Again, I wouldn't have chambered it in such an obsolete round but somebody did! After making cases from .303 British I started loading for it. I discovered that the case capacity for the 6.5x53R and the 6.5 Creedmoor were identical. I poured in ball powder but didn't stop where the bullet would be seated so I guess I need to do it again. I was getting over 2500fps using Reloader 15 and IMR 4451. It seemed to be a fairly mild load so I may go back and see what I can do to top 2600fps. Funny how everyone is going ape over the 6.5 Creedmoor and the cartridge I have which started about 1895 gives virtually the same performance. I guess the writers have to do something to sell some new guns.

--------------------
If your parents don't have children, you won't either

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: tact1]
      #327028 - 09/04/19 03:22 PM

Quote:

I discovered that the case capacity for the 6.5x53R and the 6.5 Creedmoor were identical. ... Funny how everyone is going ape over the 6.5 Creedmoor and the cartridge I have which started about 1895 gives virtually the same performance. I guess the writers have to do something to sell some new guns.

I do understand it and your sentence is spot on. Just touts touting the latest "new" and "revolutionary" cartridge which is often the same as someone else designed 50 or more years before ...

I have long said the 6.5x55 is a far better cartridge than any silly 6.5 Crudmore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: NitroX]
      #327067 - 10/04/19 01:47 AM

The 6.5x55 has greater case capacity than the Creedmoor and if loaded to the same pressure with the same bullets, will out-perform it. The same can be said for the .260 Rem. if of appropriate rate of twist.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Loading for the M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) [Re: DarylS]
      #327091 - 10/04/19 11:07 AM

It is all about marketing. Look at the 256 Newton, 30 Newton and 35 Newton. Today's wizbangs will duplicate the performance of these elderly cartridges.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7394

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com