Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: Will]
      #4623 - 29/10/03 05:16 AM

That 280 packs a lot into a small package. Did you ever question as to whether or not it was a bit on the light side for moose? I know it will kill them, as a friend of mine shot a huge 70" moose up in the Yukon with his pet 270 with 150 grain Noslers. That's too light for my taste, but I'd probably be ok with it on the smaller Shiras.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #4628 - 29/10/03 08:22 AM

As a matter of fact it was a Shiras moose, but moose never impressed me as being very tough. If I ever did the moose or elk thing again, I would probably go bigger.

Probably would use a .375 H&H but only because that is the next step up in my arsenal. Actually was going to shoot the elk with a .375 but had the .280 when the opportunity came along. It was plenty and is plenty assuming you hit them in the right place. Right?

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #4636 - 29/10/03 01:45 PM

Will

If you decide to go after a Canadian or Alaskan Moose you should take the .375. You never know when you may have to argue it out with a Grizz. Every year at least one of our hunters runs into a Griz that could be dangerous by accident.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: mickey]
      #4643 - 29/10/03 08:57 PM

I think so. Always carry a big bore while hunting in a Bear country.

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: 470Nitro]
      #4646 - 30/10/03 12:49 AM

I agree. I'd hate to end up like that bunney hugger and his girl friend did a couple of weeks ago. Now they're just fertilizer for the blueberry bushes.

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #4673 - 31/10/03 02:07 PM

Yea that bunny hugger really did his girlfriend in being so stupid.
After reflection, I think that the 303 is my choice for all round use here.

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #4897 - 11/11/03 02:34 PM

A 22 long rifle...it worked just fine when I was a young guy, dirt poor, and had my first kid on the way...Necessary options were 1. good spot light 2. Toilet roll silencer...meat on the table vs nothing on the table...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: luv2safari]
      #6690 - 09/01/04 03:09 PM

I find it hard to belive jumping in so late on this discussion it has not yet been brought up but my choice would have to be the 7mm REM mag given the game.

It can be loaded up or down for any game in the US., I have taken everything from white tail in bountiful Georgia to large elk and moose in Montana and Canada with it and not felt under gunned on any hunt to date. I would feel safe with it on bear as well, though I have a .450 marlin I prefer to use with them due to the possibility of tight quarters.

I also love my close second the .308 Norma mag though not winning any popularity contest due to the rarity of the cartridge, it is IMO one the best medium size to larger game rounds this side of the .375 H&H.

James F. Nixon III

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: NONE]
      #6717 - 09/01/04 07:02 PM

Never hunted there but if I get a chance I thin a 300WM or a 338 will do the trick.Enough power for the animals mentioned and they will cover basically any reasonable shooting/hunting distance.And maybe use 200gr-250gr bullets.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: Bigfive]
      #6723 - 09/01/04 08:44 PM

Bigfive, if you ever see a charging bear you'll think other way. They're stronger and faster than Lions and you'll only stop them with a big bore .

--------------------
-----

mcb
.224 member

Reged: 18/12/03
Loc: Ohio, USA
      #6732 - 10/01/04 02:22 AM

Hmmm. Well I live here in Ohio and we can't hunt deer with a rifle. Shotgun (slug only, no buckshot) and muzzle loaders only. The past few years I have been using my BPS in 12 gage, but this past year I switched down to a 410. I got one of the new Winchester 9410 lever action shotguns chambered in the 2.5in 410 shotshell. It looks just like a 30/30 win 94. What an excellent and fun gun. I have shot sporting clays, skeet, and a ton of squirrels with it. I was amazed how well it shot slugs when I was at the range, so since 410 slug was a legal deer hunting cartridge here in Ohio I gave it a try. Took my largest whitetail ever with it on the afternoon of opening day. A nice 8pt wieghing about 125 pound after feild dressing. This is far from a nitro express cartridge but it was a fun and challenging deer cartridge.

I have booked an elk hunt for october of this year in Colorado with some of my faimly. I will be using a 270 Win for that hunt. Probably pushing the lower limits on what is a good elk cartridge but I have used that gun all my life hunting groundhogs and I am a good shot with it and comforable with it. I was suprised to read that a 243 win was legal to hunt Elk. That seem pretty light for such a big critter.

mcb

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: mcb]
      #6851 - 12/01/04 05:25 PM

470Nitro,

Sorry,maybe I took a bear to lightly.It is always a good idea to go hunting with too much gun than too little gun.I thouhgt about it and agree with you that bears may need bigger cals in difficult situations.Please post some facts on grizzly bears, height,weight,etc................

Thanx man!!

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: Bigfive]
      #6858 - 12/01/04 09:27 PM

Grizzly Bear

This large animal reaches weights of 300-1500 pounds. The coat color ranges from shades of blond, brown, black or a combination of these; the long outer guard hairs are often tipped with white or silver giving it a grizzled appearance hence the name. The grizzly has a large hump over the shoulders which is a muscle mass used to power the forelimbs in digging. The head is large and round with a concave facial profile. In spite of their mass size this bear runs at speeds of up to 35 mph.

The grizzly bear is primarily nocturnal and in the winter puts on up to 400 pounds of fat, becoming very lethargic. Although they are not true hibernators and can be woken easily, they like to den up in a protected spot, such as a cave, crevice or hollow log during the winter months. Being omnivores, they feed on a variety of plants and berries including roots or sprouts and fungi as well as fish, insects and small mammals. Normally a solitary animal, the grizzly congregates alongside streams and rivers during the salmon spawn. Every other year females produce 1-4 young which are the size of rats, weighing only 1 pound.

--------------------
-----

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
      #7039 - 17/01/04 07:54 AM

I'd have to vote for 30-06 myself.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #7214 - 21/01/04 02:03 PM

For practicallity my vote is for the classic: 30-06.

>FOr fun either the 9.3x74r or the 9.3x62.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #7267 - 22/01/04 04:21 PM

Can't do any better than an '06 for most of N. America. It is marginal for big bruins, but has dispatched a bunch of'em. With a good 200-220 gr bullet, anything over here is in big trouble.

You can push a 150-165 gr and get terrific open country performance...moderate recoil, and good ammo available everywhere on the continent.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

buckeyeshooter
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: ohio, USA
      #8857 - 12/02/04 02:25 PM

You said my favorite --- as opposed to most practical?
ok--- for short range-- I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy lever action rechambered to .50 Alaskan. For longer range I will choose the .338 Winchester Magnum.
most practical-- 30-06

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: buckeyeshooter]
      #8883 - 13/02/04 12:46 AM

My first choice is a 270 weatherby mag. I love the velocity and it gives me the ability to up or down load. As others have suggested the 30-06 is widely popular here for the very same reason. The 300 mag class and 308 is incredibly popular as well. Big five; The majority of hunters here that chase bears either use a 300 mag class, 338 or the 375. One of the most popular calibers in Alaska is to 300 Winchester followed by the 338. The bear is not that hard of a animal to kill but it is generally considered critical to knock the beast down by breaking his shoulder with the first shot. Myself I have seen a average size blackie stop a 300 Winchester with a Nosler cold in the shoulder. It did break the bruins shoulder but I expect you would have to see how fast a 3 legged bear can run to believe it. For grizz I would choose the 375 for cost and recoil considerations. The smallest flinch on the bench is multiplied by 10x in the field plus excitement. Their have however been accounts of a Brownie being dropped with a single .22 lr in a emergency. Not my cup of tea though We often see the charging beast scenario on the forums. I can only wonder what good any caliber might be at that point. Not arguing that bigger won't be better but at 20 paces with a charging angry buff will even the biggest save your hide ??

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #8899 - 13/02/04 07:06 AM

...30-06...

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: ThomasEdwards]
      #8930 - 13/02/04 10:11 AM

It really depends on what I'm going after. I usually bring my Ruger 375 and a Marlin GG in 45-70 for my back-up. I've shot pigs and black bears with the 45-70 and a whole lot of smaller critters including a cow elk with my 375. Some may bitch that the RSM is too heavy, but having played with those damn heavy 30's that uncle sugar made us carry around, the Ruger is light in comparison.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

zaitsev
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/06
Loc: Trysil, Norway
      #59047 - 20/06/06 10:54 AM

i would go for 300 , if its H&H, Win mag, o Wby doesn `t matter there fine, however i like the bullets a little bit over the 300s so i would also add, 358 norma magnum, and to next spring .323 PH , but the 338 and the 340 is super,but the best choice would be the 375 . Either H&H or WBY. but a 7mm is alright, like the rem mag or the wby. ill have to stop there .

--------------------
The world hasnt got enough big Bores ,and people who uses them

(mr rigby at AR)

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: zaitsev]
      #59059 - 20/06/06 02:07 PM

The good ol' 375 H&H for me. You ought to see what it does to prairie dogs!!

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #59584 - 05/07/06 12:17 AM

If I could have only one rifle, it would be a 338 Win. Mag. I don't know of anything that's more versatile for ALL North America big game under all hunting conditions, yet can be housed in a rifle that's light enough to haul up the mountain, and brings with it the luxury of superb, widely-available factory ammunition and brass, with a wide enough selection of bullets to satisfy any requirement.

It's even MORE versatile than the iconic 30-06; hits nearly as hard as the 375 H&H (and it's much lighter to carry); adds a good 200 fps. to the off-beat 338-06; doesn't blow up deer-size big game as much as the 270 Win. (and it drops them even faster); plus it's much more at home on big elk, moose, and grizzly than any 7mm magnum...........

AD

yellowhammer
.224 member

Reged: 23/05/06
Loc: Texas
Re: Your Favorite North American Hunting Caliber [Re: allenday]
      #59598 - 05/07/06 06:40 AM

30-06

Edited by yellowhammer (05/07/06 07:37 AM)

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #59610 - 05/07/06 02:35 PM

I have used the 270 winchester and the 358 norma exclusivly. I intend to add the 12 bore paradox latter this year.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17587

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com