Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: GK and NO

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
GK and NO
      #324972 - 21/02/19 08:47 AM

Someone explain what the models GK and NO are. They look similar to the 1952 model to me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: GK and NO [Re: JDL]
      #324973 - 21/02/19 09:15 AM

Do you mean in the Mannlicher Schonauer line, if so I think 1950 is the "NO" that has a Straight Blued Butter Knife bolt handle - 1952 has Swept Back Butter Knife bolt handle & GK is for a Stock style found on some of these as is MC or MCA which came in later, this is what I remember any way !

JDL
.300 member

Re: GK and NO [Re: Sarg]
      #324987 - 22/02/19 01:02 AM

Yes, I'm confused (not the first time) on the placement of the GK and NO models with the 1950, 1952, MC, and MCA models.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: GK and NO [Re: JDL]
      #324991 - 22/02/19 03:50 AM

The model GK was merely a stock and finish shape of the post-1952 Mannlicher – Schoenauer, made to European tastes. GKs share all the metal work with the "American" models MC and MCA, though the bolts are blued on GKs, polished bright on the others. Late versions of all three "models" have wimpy, sheet metal tang safeties instead of the earlier side safeties. IMHO "GK" stnds for Gerader Kolben = straight buttstock. This stock shape is the distinguishing feature of the GK. Model GK rifles in 7x64 are now the most often encountered Mannlicher – Schoenauers here in Germany. The GK designation is so common here that Germans often call any old split bridge, true Mannlicher-Schoenauer a "GK" to distinguish it from earlier and later Steyr products. The MC and MCA stock variations were not even offered in Germany.
The model NO is quite confusing. Apparently Steyr called all sorts of special order, not catalogued versions NO. So NOs come in many different configurations, some with straight bolt handles when bent ones were standard, some with bent ones.
Here are (not so good) pics of three NO marked rifles of entirely different configurations:
A full – stocked rifle with a 60 cm = 24" barrel in 9.3x62. Note the bent bolt handle and the late type tang safety.

Two special rifles in .308 Win aka 7.62 NATO, specially made when Biathlon was still a largely military sport, shot with full – bore rifles , one with a folding stock (from the Steyr factory book), the other with a straight GK-type buttstock.:

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: GK and NO [Re: kuduae]
      #325009 - 22/02/19 06:17 PM

Quote:

The model GK was merely a stock and finish shape of the post-1952 Mannlicher – Schoenauer, made to European tastes. GKs share all the metal work with the "American" models MC and MCA, ... IMHO "GK" stnds for Gerader Kolben = straight buttstock. This stock shape is the distinguishing feature of the GK. Model GK rifles ... The MC and MCA stock variations were not even offered in Germany.

Some images from (U.S.) Stoeger catalogs to help illustrate Kuduae's excellent narrative:

Here is a detail from the 1960 edition, offering the 'GK' option to American buyers:

More - for presentation purposes, I presume, or those who just can't get enough of embellishments:

These from the 1962 - note the descriptions of stock shape:

I have found no mention in the Stoeger images available to me of any 'NO' designated models. Whether (or not) Stoeger, as "sole importer", offered the 'NO' to the U.S. market or referred to them as such is unknown to me at this time.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: GK and NO [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #325010 - 22/02/19 09:27 PM

While the "models" GK, MC and MCA were merely stock and finish varitions of the 1952 model, you will not find the designatin NO in any catalog. NOs were rifles or carbines custom made by the Steyr factory to the whims of individual customers. Most often they were one-off configuratins, though some were made in very small numbers. F.i. those special "Biathlon" NOs were made in two, slightly different configurations, both with GK-type straight buttstocks (that folding stock NO in the Steyr collection was a single prototype apparently): 18 such rifles were made for the then Biathlon team of the German Bundeswehr, about 20 for the team of the Austrian Bundesheer army.
As Rothhammer posted the 1960s Stoeger offerings, here are pages from contemporary German catalogs:
From the 1963 Eduard Kettner, Cologne, mail order catalog. The GK variation of the 1952 model only was offered, though a "monte carlo stock" is offered as an extra cost option.

From the 1969 Frankonia, Würzburg, mail order catalog (the German "Shooter's Bible"). The model 1952 GK is now shown with the tang safety. No mention of a Monte Carlo stock any more. Markedly fewer caliber options.

From the 1960s HAWEKA wholesaler caralog. Here the MC was offered as a sideline, but no mention of the MCA variant.

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: GK and NO [Re: kuduae]
      #325012 - 22/02/19 10:28 PM

Quote:

As Rothhammer posted the 1960s Stoeger offerings, here are pages from contemporary German catalogs:

Great stuff!

It's good to see ads from the same period and from both sides of the Atlantic 'side by side', so to speak.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

JDL
.300 member

Re: GK and NO [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #325014 - 23/02/19 02:37 AM

Now I understand better, thanks to kuduae and Rothhammer!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3155

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com