Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help for hearing protection

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Help for hearing protection
      #324993 - 22/02/19 05:38 AM

Hello colleagues, it's time to start thinking about my health. I have been hunting since I was 16 years old and I am 43 years old now. Unfortunately I have mistreated my ears too much and for many years I have tinnitus and a very annoying hearing loss. I had started saving for something, hunting, a good viewer but I thought that the best option was to save for good hearing protection. I have several devices in mind, some are helmets and others are headphones. I usually hunt small pieces, with my dog ​​and with long walks in the bush so that headphones will be less comfortable than headphones, but there are people who tell me that the latter protect less and tend to get out of the ears. That is why I appeal to your experience and I ask for advice and also I beg you to tell me what you think about the options that I am considering. I thank you.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ovny
.375 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: ovny]
      #324994 - 22/02/19 05:42 AM

These are my options:

Howard Leight Impact Sport

Peltor Sporttac

Peltor 3M Lep 100

Clarus Pro (smart headphones).

--------------------
I am Spanish

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #325029 - 23/02/19 05:11 AM

I'm interested in this topic as well.

Not a fan of headphones for hunting. Too big and unweidly.

More interested in the modern eye piece inserts that filter out damaging noises, that can be inserted into the ear. Haven't used these myself.

Hopefully people can share their experiences and what they use.

I se the normal headphones which reduce all noise a lot for work. The same sort used on rifle ranges.

Also have the loud noise filtering type head phones. Not as much use for me for work purposes. As the noise is still loud in them, machine noise etc. Probably does counter out the dangerous decibels. Too big and unweildly for hunting IMO.

I also have used solid ear inserts. These work fine but block all noises.

I have a set of inserts which have some sort of filter, with a hole through them. These work to block dangerous decibels But block a lot of sounds as well. Not electronic. I keep misplacing them!

For hunting I would like to investigate the small modern sort of ear inserts, which are electronic. Never used any of these yet.

Will have a look at some which Ovny listed on the net.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ovny
.375 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: NitroX]
      #325079 - 23/02/19 06:48 PM

Hello, yesterday I was in an armory and I was seeing the Clarus Pro, which I liked a lot. The gunsmith (who also friend) told me they are better than the Peltor 3M Lep 100 and I the only negative point I found in the Clarus Pro is that they carry cables when the Peltor does not take them. At the moment I'm still saving, but I think I'll decide for the Clarus Pro. I'm not convinced either to wear helmets to hunt, too big and also with heat the earmuff pads makes you sweat especially in hot places and Spain is, go if it is hehe. We hope experiences.

Thank you NitroX

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#325081 - 23/02/19 07:46 PM

Here is the product page:

https://www.silynxcom.com/store/headset-systems/clarus-pro/

--------------------
I am Spanish

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #325102 - 24/02/19 09:18 AM

Onvy,
guess I'm easily in the 'hearing challenged' class myself now, more so now by industrial work than anything else. Being the tropics its rather hot to wear earmuffs out in the sun - lots of breaks taken just by wiping sweat out of the muffs themselves, so we try & stick with just ear plugs.
This makes it hard to hear, at least gives you some protection; but only to a degree.
As for straight hunting, I've never used them as rather few shots are fired & hearing is also vital when doing so - just my opinion here.
However when I'm on a rifle range then this is a completely different case & most definitely where ear plugs.

As this product goes
https://www.silynxcom.com/store/headset-systems/clarus-pro/
They seem to be a good compromise to me - just slip into your top breast pocket & thread the lead under your shirt to avoid snagging.

Edited by 93x64mm (24/02/19 04:01 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: 93x64mm]
      #325112 - 24/02/19 03:04 PM

I personally never use hearing protection when hunting as I want to hear everything naturally and I am lucky that my hearing is still excellent, and as you are directly behind the gun or rifle when shooting the noise is not significant anyway, especially as I hunt mostly by myself. When at the range I always wear hearing protection and I use a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs which work very well and have minimum interference with the butt stock. At work I wear hearing protection for the slightest loud noise and always have, which is why I believe my hearing is still good.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

ovny
.375 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #325120 - 24/02/19 08:59 PM

Thank you for your answers. I need to protect my ears, the beeps I have are very annoying and I have trouble understanding many words in conversations. In my outings to the hunting field walking there are days that I do not do any shooting and days of more than a dozen shots. Pigeon days are usually more than a dozen shots. In fixed position I would not mind wearing helmets but walking I see a nuisance. I am more convinced by the headphones and maybe try the Clarus Pro. The other day I saw them and I liked them. They are a significant outlay of money but health deserves it. I'll tell you how they work when you buy them and try them.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #325130 - 25/02/19 05:35 AM

Electronic ear muffs, that shut down when a rifle shot happens, but amplify normal speech, are wonderful when they work. I've had a couple pair, both Caldwell's, but each has let me down, ceasing to function after a few month's use. They do, however make good ear muffs for normal shooting, when the electronics stop working.
I will readily admit, I've not spent over $100.00 on either set, though.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: DarylS]
      #325137 - 25/02/19 08:54 AM

After a life time of shooting I have significant hearing loss and tinnitus. In order to protect what I have left, I lashed out and bought the very best I could find. They are part of the Pro Ears range and have an NRR of over 30. They are an electronic system which dynamically filters out high intensity sounds but let through normal level sounds such as range commands, wildlife noises etc. They are somewhat bulky and much more suited to the range rather than the field.

I have seen reference to an electronic in-ear product called Shost Stryke 11. On paper it seems to have a similar level of performance. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone that's actually used one and therefore I can't comment on it. Expensive, but I'd buy it for hunting if I knew it'd perform as required.

Electronic systems have the advantage that they not only block out the loud noises, but they can also enhance the background sounds such as wildlife. If buying ear muffs for hunting then make sure to get the ones with two (left & right) microphones so that you retain your ability to tell what direction a sound comes from. There are two basic systems for electronic hearing protection. One simply cutts out when a loud noise is encountered, the other dynamically filters off the high intensity sound while allowing the other signals through. Either would work in the field, however dynamic filtering is much better for range work.

Hearing protection standards are designed around constant noise environments, whereas shooting noise is a sudden pulse situation. Also all the rating systems are based on perfect fit. US research indicates that real world performance may be is little as 50% of the nominated protection rating. In other words, the 20 NRR set you've bought may only give you an actual protection factor equivalent to 10 NRR.

Hearing loss starts with the higher frequencies, by the time you notice an effect in normal conversation, you've already lost most of it. Hearing doesn't recover. Spend the money, get and use the best you can while you still have some hearing left.

Remember the most commonly uttered word among older shooters is 'What?'

ovny
.375 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: Hunter4752001]
      #325183 - 26/02/19 06:26 AM

The Clarus Pro allows you to talk on the phone while you are in an environment full of noise without your ears suffer. According to the page of this product, its level of noise attenuation is at level 25. Unfortunately, I am already in that phase when in a conversation I ask more than once what?

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

#325184 - 26/02/19 06:32 AM

I think my wife mumbles on purpose.

--------------------
Daryl

ovny
.375 member

#325191 - 26/02/19 07:43 AM

Do not miss Daryl jejej

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #325213 - 27/02/19 01:42 AM

Quote:

Laughed out loud when I read this..

YOU are an old codger at times Daryl...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #325214 - 27/02/19 01:55 AM

Quote:

I personally never use hearing protection when hunting as I want to hear everything naturally and I am lucky that my hearing is still excellent, and as you are directly behind the gun or rifle when shooting the noise is not significant anyway, especially as I hunt mostly by myself. When at the range I always wear hearing protection and I use a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs which work very well and have minimum interference with the butt stock. At work I wear hearing protection for the slightest loud noise and always have, which is why I believe my hearing is still good.

Matt.

Hey Matt..

I smiled reading your post.. "my hearing is still excellent".. THAT is what I thought until I took a hearing test at the Great Alaska Outdoor Show last spring.. guy looked at me and said you must be one of 3 people.. 1, grew up on a farm and ran a lot of tractors as a kid.. 2. you have shot a lot of firearms with no protection..3 Heavy equipment operator...

I am 2 out of 3 in my lifetime.. I still feel like I hear well, especially out of my right ear as I shoot right handed.. and, a dillhole fired off a 270 once with the barrel very near my left ear.. pretty sure he learned his lesson after he picked himself back off the ground..yes, I was pissed..

I agree with some of the other posts.. I like the ones that are custom molded to your ears.. expensive but how much do you value your hearing???

When shooting handgun I use foams in the ear and electronic muffs over the top..I use the same combo when at the rifle range ..double protection.. plan to keep what I have left..

I did buy a pair you can hang around your neck while hunting..thin.. don't really notice they are there..if you have time to set up for the shot, certainly help... https://www.opticsplanet.com/walkers-gam...efb564e53072b9c

I suggest going to a good audiologist in your area.. have them fit a pair to you..give them a try..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: Ripp]
      #325219 - 27/02/19 06:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LOL - I'm serious - last summer on that 19,200km. trip, she would turn, face her window (2015 F350 6.7 Lt. Diesel) and mumble something and get angry if I asked her to repeat it - "WHAT?"

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #325226 - 27/02/19 07:08 AM

Quote:

Actually it is about 'pitch' - women speak at a higher pitch than men & as we lose it from the top down - our loved ones get harder to hear!
Worse is when you're in a crowded room, all you hear is a just jumble of noise.

ovny
.375 member

#325248 - 27/02/19 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL - I'm serious - last summer on that 19,200km. trip, she would turn, face her window (2015 F350 6.7 Lt. Diesel) and mumble something and get angry if I asked her to repeat it - "WHAT?"

I do not think he does it on purpose. Hehehe

--------------------
I am Spanish

Edited by ovny (27/02/19 05:52 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#325252 - 28/02/19 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually it is about 'pitch' - women speak at a higher pitch than men & as we lose it from the top down - our loved ones get harder to hear!

That is true..was told the same and have read it as well.. good info..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: Ripp]
      #325260 - 28/02/19 04:31 AM

What? Oh - it's typed, had to put on my glasses then I could read it.
LOL

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#325364 - 03/03/19 02:17 PM

Quote:

And a cause of my social inadequacy for many a decade. In a crowded room, or party, I hear only half or less of a conversation.

In the old days, makes it difficult with the pretty girls.

Perhaps a reason I prefer the outback, a forest, a river, to a crowded party or crowded room.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Help for hearing protection [Re: NitroX]
      #325371 - 03/03/19 04:12 PM

My recommendation is extremely high tech toilet paper. Stuffed in the ears. Worked for an AK-47 and an M60.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4710

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com