Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
theprof1
.224 member

Reged: 01/02/19
Loc: Queensland
12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ?
      #324479 - 09/02/19 09:46 PM

Has any one here built a 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action or had any experience with one of these beasts, there have been quite a few conversions done over the years. Any details on success or difficulties with this conversion would be of great interest - including loads used.....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? [Re: theprof1]
      #324480 - 09/02/19 10:45 PM

Try this, but there are a lot more some where .

Quote:

"Loading & Shooting the 12-bore GP Greener Shotgun"
by David Commens
Australian Shooter

"Loading & Shooting the 12-bore Greener Shotgun" - by David Commens - click here
(2,169 kb)

File supplied by member "93x64mm".

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=180489&an=0&page=7#Post180489

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=82538&an=0&page=12#Post82538

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=118680&an=0&page=12#Post118680

theprof1
.224 member

Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? [Re: Sarg]
      #324481 - 09/02/19 11:31 PM

Thanks for that Sarge, cheers.

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #324601 - 12/02/19 09:20 AM

I've machined a few hand-fulls of stock sets for them in two "English" styles with a pistol grip butt-stock, which has given me an insight into how several of them turned out.

Research barrel profiles thoroughly. I've seen a few built which were too light, and a few which were way too heavy. Try and achieve the desired weight, and the right balance. Obviously there is a personal element to all that.

Most of the lever conversions I've seen subsequently done, are a bit of a letdown (literally). Levers not let into the grip, not well formed, and not secured by whatever means.

There are nicer ways, but a quick-n-dirty means is to sneak a suitably sized rare earth magnet into position, secured in the grip, and watch folk try to figure out how the lever comes home so nicely! Too big a magnet = too aggressive and noisy. These rare earth magnets last and last, and they are super strong for the size. Worth considering.

I say that because the levers are rarely re-worked to be a nice fit, inlet into the grip. Time, money, or what-have-you - and to go to the trouble of securing the lever seems rarer again.

The second simplest way, I reckon, is to employ the original lever latch design (suitably modified) into the back of the lever. If the lever body is inlet into the grip it's only visible when the lever is open and it's a reliable system.

I've seen a few levers inlet into steel grip caps with an interference fit........with the lever and cap hard they work OK, but will eventually wear and if it's the only attempt to retain the lever, not a real good idea IMO.

As with barrel profiles, choose a blank of suitable density if re-stocking. Less work when it comes time to balancing.

theprof1
.224 member

Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? [Re: Juglansregia]
      #324615 - 12/02/19 09:33 PM

Hi there, thank you. Would you think the standard GP stock would handle the forces generated by the 12G rifle load? If so what barrel profile would you recommend in order to get the weight needed but still retain some balance? Is a mercury recoil tube in the stock a good idea?

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
      #324616 - 12/02/19 10:07 PM

I shot mine in standard form for a number of years before being re-stocked. No problems recoil wise.
They don't recoil as much as you think, about like a good heavy shotgun load.
The barrel I used was a Pac-Nor number 8 profile, it ended up exactly 1" at the muzzle. It balances on the front of the action. No need for any recoil reducers unless you are particularly recoil sensitive.

Edited by 450_Ackley (13/02/19 06:42 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #324628 - 13/02/19 05:09 AM

Sticking to smokeless will present a decent shooting gun.
Try the 7 dram 2F or 1F BP load with a round ball & it will kick. That load is also quite accurate.
In my SxS, I figured smokeless duplication loads had slightly less than 1/2 the recoil of HOLY BLACK.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #324633 - 13/02/19 05:30 AM

Quote:

I shot mine in standard form for a number of years before being re-stocked. No problems recoil wise.
The barrel I used was a Pac-Nor number 9 profile, it ended up exactly 1" at the muzzle. It balances on the front of the action. No need for any recoil reducers unless you are particularly recoil sensitive.

Pac Nor does not now offer a No. 9 profile (according to their web page). How long is your barrel? is it a straight taper?

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? [Re: dracb]
      #324639 - 13/02/19 06:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The barrel I used was a Pac-Nor number 9 profile, it ended up exactly 1" at the muzzle. It balances on the front of the action. No need for any recoil reducers unless you are particularly recoil sensitive.

Pac Nor does not now offer a No. 9 profile (according to their web page). How long is your barrel? is it a straight taper?

Sorry, number 8, that's the only taper they would make, and they start with 1.75" diameter steel to make 12 ga barrels, otherwise there's too much chance of not keeping the hole straight apparently.

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #324647 - 13/02/19 08:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, number 8, that's the only taper they would make, and they start with 1.75" diameter steel to make 12 ga barrels, otherwise there's too much chance of not keeping the hole straight apparently.

Thank you

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #324652 - 13/02/19 08:55 AM

Std GP butt will handle the forces OK if the grain structure is good and the wood not horribly soft and punky from oil seepage. Keep the draw-bolt tight. Depends what fits you, as to felt recoil, too. Personally I detest mercury or other butt-mounted recoil reducers - unless a counterweight is added in the forend to balance the gun then it'll be extremely butt heavy. Building a gun to the desired correct weight for your intended load, and to the correct balance, is a much better idea than mercury recoil reducers IMO.

I've only got experience of custom profiled barrels on GP's. GP actions are not heavy, so to me personally barrel profile is very important. Not just the weight, but the weight distribution. I prefer a profile with relatively thin muzzles which has a "concave" taper (swamped but not with a bell-ended muzzle) not a straight taper, and a bit more mass around the chamber. That way the weight gets exponentially greater towards the chamber.

Jon Jongmans makes 12G barrels in your state I believe.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5087

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com