Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside...
      #324175 - 03/02/19 12:59 AM

OK, so I bought a Sauer 100 in 9.3x62. Have gobs of 9.3 bullets and just decided to get a rifle to put them thru since I got rid of my x57's a few years ago and only use my 16-inch barreled CZ 9.3x62 for bear. Just wanted another 9.3 in rifle form for a few extra inches of barrel and after a disaster w/ a Mauser, decided on the Sauer on a lark. I usually do NOT go for oddball-engineered rifles but this one I decided to take a risk on.

At present I am just about finished with working up a load using some military surplus powder and...dare I say it...I REALLY like this thing.

The stock design is genius tho it really doesn't look like anything special unless you really squint and look closely. But from heel to comb it slopes down, and when shooting, it leaves the face immediately on blastoff, removing all felt recoil from the face. This is good, since the synthetic-stocked model I have weighs about 3 pounds with a full magazine, sling, Warne mounts and scope plus a six-pack of beer duct-taped on the muzzle.

OK, that might be a slight exaggeration. In reality, it goes 7 pounds all up. Still pretty light for a 9.3x62.

At this point I really wish I they made them in Southpaw version but in spite of the bolt being on the wrong {right} side, since it is 60-degree and hangs lower in battery, is very easy to grab with the right {left} hand.

Anybody else have one?

Problems? Likes/Dislikes?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #324177 - 03/02/19 01:42 AM

I have never owned a Sauer but I am keenly interested in the experiences of others, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have fondled them, and I have seriously considered the takedown models, but I have never taken the plunge..... Are they truly accurate, i.e. Sako or Blaser accurate, like 1/4 MOA accurate or more 1 MOA accurate?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside... [Re: Postman]
      #324178 - 03/02/19 03:08 AM

Quote:

I have never owned a Sauer but I am keenly interested in the experiences of others, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have fondled them, and I have seriously considered the takedown models, but I have never taken the plunge..... Are they truly accurate, i.e. Sako or Blaser accurate, like 1/4 MOA accurate or more 1 MOA accurate?

I was given one to use on one of my guided hunts.. worked really well.. shot well, easy to carry..liked it a lot..

Agree with Postman.. like to hear about any of them, try them all.. enjoy reading about others experiences with various weapons..

Actually have a Colt Sauer Grand African Bolt Action Rifle in .458 Win. Mag ..great condition..bought it from a friend who needed some $$ at the time.. shoots really nice--not sure of the public perception of them, nor do I really care..the bolt on that thing is like putting a hot knife through butter..

Congrats on your purchase..

Ripp Von Sauer

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside... [Re: Ripp]
      #324185 - 03/02/19 06:03 AM

Thanks Postman and Von Sauer!

It's a neat rifle. There is some confusion over the 100 and 101. From the outside she looks I emailed the company and was told the structural difference is that the 101 has a press fitted and pinned barrel receiver interface and the bolt locks directly into the barrel, while the 100 has a traditional threaded barreled action.

The rifles have excellent reviews for accuracy. I can't comment on bench accuracy much as I don't shoot off the bench much. We shoot almost 100% from field positions. The Prvi bullets I use probably aren't capable of the finest accuracy either but I love the performance on deer, black bear and elk I've gotten in 9.3x57 and my 9.3x62 carbine and I have tons of them.

Here is the rifle. Scope is Leupold 3.5-10 Plex and I also have an old Burris 1.75-5 w/ German #4 set up in the same Warne mounts as a spare if needed. Trigger is 2.2 pounds a perfectly crisp. I have to decide if I'm going to paint this thing to match one of my camo'd AR's. LOL.

The groups were shot from sitting on the ground, elbows rested on knees. Range 100 meters/109 yards.

I think this thing will be pretty useful as we have made some management changes on the ground here and should have some prospect for elk we didn't have for a few years.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #324187 - 03/02/19 06:07 AM

Looks to me like that will work just fine...

That is the one I got to use on a hunt.. as you stated, nice shooting rifle..

I really liked the shape of the stock..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (03/02/19 06:08 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside... [Re: Ripp]
      #324202 - 03/02/19 12:15 PM

Quote:

Looks to me like that will work just fine...

That is the one I got to use on a hunt.. as you stated, nice shooting rifle..

I really liked the shape of the stock..

Thanks.

What caliber was the one you used?

What were you hunting/where?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #324203 - 03/02/19 12:38 PM

The Privi 285's shot into 3/4" at 100 meters for me, from my 1929 M 46, 9.3X57.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Got a Sauer 100? Step Inside... [Re: DarylS]
      #324207 - 03/02/19 12:46 PM

Quote:

The Privi 285's shot into 3/4" at 100 meters for me, from my 1929 M 46, 9.3X57.

I've had no problems but some have reported variable success.

Over on ARFCOM {www.ar15.com}we've run some fun "Challenges", the modern-day version of the old "Postal Matches" {...nothing changes in the shooting world...just the speed of the results does... LOL}. We should do same here. Set some parameters and let the bullets fly. We'd get some good data for shooters of the calibers commonly represented on this forum.

I like the Prvi 9.3 bullets a LOT for the game we shoot.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1695

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com