Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: How to build an all purpose rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
How to build an all purpose rifle
      #323768 - 24/01/19 11:42 PM

https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-to-build-an-all-purpose-rifle

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #323786 - 25/01/19 08:14 AM

Pretty good article.
Most guys round here grew up with #3's or P14's in .303. that was an all round rifle - deer, bear, moose & salmon.(yes)

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #323797 - 25/01/19 11:11 AM

Quote:

Pretty good article.
Most guys round here grew up with #3's or P14's in .303. that was an all round rifle - deer, bear, moose & salmon.(yes)

I must have been a Canadian as that is what I grew up with as well..my very first centerfire, was a .303 British.. still have it.. was actually a nice and easy rifle to shoot accurately on running whitetails..

Actually not a Canadian, my manners are not nice enough for that BUT, was just a hop, skip and jump over the border..we actually would waterski in a lake that as both in the US and Canada..downhill snow ski in the same area..right on the border..

Think the article was pretty good--have to agree with the logic. 30'06 ammo is everywhere.. and what can't be killed with one??

--------------------

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #324079 - 31/01/19 05:55 AM

Its always difficult to fixed on one caliber for all. Ofcouse powerful calibers can kill it all but are they adequate for a bunny hunt?.If I should come up with a careful choice for european game the 6,5x55 would be slide in the middle as a compromise. As an all-purpose gun a side-by-side(büchsflinte) with a 20bore in the right barrel and a 6,5x65R in the left barrel.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #324083 - 31/01/19 07:11 AM

Quote:

Pretty good article.

Have to agree there Ripp, the old P14 may be a bit on the heavy side but it 100% reliable & if it gets a mark on it well it not the end of the world as you know it!
Those sights are great for snap shooting pigs

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #324108 - 31/01/19 05:49 PM

Pretty much ho hum article. Regurgitates what many of the same articles had said a hundred times.

And fails to point out, there is no such thing as an "all purpose rifle". Just as stupid as trying to play golf with only a putter or only a 4 iron ... I don't play golf btw but was given a bag full of unused clubs ...

Doesn't hardly mentioned anything about different types of rifle or purposes of rifle. Fixates on cartridge chambering as so many of these articles do. Instead discussing a mountain rifle, plains rifle, brush rifle, big game rifle, small game rifle, varminting rifle, general purpose medium game rifle, fast recycling rifle etc etc. Some of these can be stretched to do more than one task, sometimes with trade offs and compromises, sometimes considerable compromoise.

Article takes the limited parochial attitude of a hunter hunting deer in some small town USA, and occaisionally varminting or encountering bear. But how would such a compromise work if you actually want to EAT the small game animals you shoot. The .30-06 is a total waste of time.

A general all purpose rifle is a good idea. Being familiar and practised with a rifle is very important. Being the guy at the deer hunting club, who always turns up with a different rifle each hunt is ludicrous. Same as being the client who turns up on an African safari with rifles he has never used or hunted with before.

But the "one gun hunter" is a myth. It is either an imbecile with a rifle, a person who has very limited hunting, or someone who can not afford more than one rifle, nor has any real interest in hunting and firearms. The "expert one gun hunter" is the guy who keeps his one and only rifle in the wardrobe or shed cabinet, and pulls it out for the occaisional deer hunt or pig hunt. Or the dedicated less well off guy who OBLY hunts one species 99% of the time.

It would be silly to think one rifle could handle rabbits for the table, foxes at ranges for furs, deer for venison and trophies, plus buffalo for DG fun. Let alone scenarios where one hunts in thick bush, to hunting on mountain slopes or wide open plains.

I like the notion of having less firearms. I have got too many. Too many not used or rarely used ones. But also a collection is different from users. If I am serious, I have used my M98 .30-06, my M98 .375, my Jeffery .450 NE, and my .222, either Mauser M03 or Rem 788 in the past, for virtually everything. Plus .22 rimfires as well and of course shotguns. Others have seen the dust and blood occaisionally, such as my BLR.308, M96 6.5x55, 8x68S, .404. Some of these plus some new ones may see a lot more use in the future. But note I list FOUR rifles and cartridges above, not ONE.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #324109 - 31/01/19 05:54 PM

BTW I grew up using a Lithgow Slazenger single shot bolt action in .22 RF. And a side by side .410 shotgun.

Neither are "all round hunting rifles".

Later a Remington 788 in .222 Rem, which I still have. And plan to start using more again. So I don't have to change the barrels and test sight in my Mauser M03 so often. May have some old ammo still around to, I hope.

Used that rifle for rabboits, hares, foxes, feral goats, even fallow deer. For many a year. Then the .30-06 Parker Hale M98, which was much better on medium stuff. It still is my reach for rifle at short notice and the standard for all the others.

Just as is my Jeffery DR in .450 NE for anything properly serious.

I could "get by" with three such rifles. Plus shotguns.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #324135 - 01/02/19 11:30 AM

I find it interesting that so many of these articles are centered around factory ammunition and the off the shelf rifle buyer.
Not surprising really as that IS the clientele of these magazines and online writers.

What I would really like to see is an evaluation of a genuine all around rifle/cartridge combo.

I largely agree with John about the viability of utilizing one platform for all game shooting from rabbits to stags (elk in my territory) particularly when the desire for meat and pelt preservation is concerned is a dream, but I must contend that one could build a genuine “all purpose” rifle for everything other than African dangerous game and for competently tackling brown bears.

What I envision is a straight walled cartridge, .360” to .458”, utilizing either light game loads all the way up to full nitro performance levels.
Any level of performance with the appropriate projectiles could be realized, of course with adjusted sight picture or sighting procedure.
I could see a 360 2-1/4” or 405 Winchester or 45-70 loaded anywhere from BPE cast loads, or pistol equivalent loads, all the way to 300gr. plus bonded jacketed or solid bullets at over 2200fps for anything above varmint sized game.
All it takes is a competent hand loader (and a LOT of practice) to get the best out of their chosen rifle/cartridge to take any game from rabbits to stags.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (01/02/19 11:34 AM)

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #324136 - 01/02/19 12:15 PM

Lots of people (me earlier in life) can only afford one Hi Power rifle & scope, I still think the 30/06 is the one (308Win is still good) I just head shot any thing I wanted to eat, it did the trick

In the end I used 220gr Semi Spitzer NP on ever thing (Fallow to Samber), good to 300yds but most of my shots were under 150yds sort of mixed up now days with 50+ rifles, still grab the 30/06 most times as I'm playing too much with the 338/06 & 9.3X62 & never have the right load sighted or worked out !

Been using the Hornady Superperformance GMX 150gr at 3080fps & the GMX 165gr at 2940fps as I ended up with a few boxes from a hunter, I like it more than the Barnes X but need to test more yet !

Ripp
.577 member

Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: Sarg]
      #324140 - 01/02/19 01:56 PM

Quote:

Lots of people (me earlier in life) can only afford one Hi Power rifle & scope, I still think the 30/06 is the one (308Win is still good) I just head shot any thing I wanted to eat, it did the trick

In the end I used 220gr Semi Spitzer NP on ever thing (Fallow to Samber), good to 300yds but most of my shots were under 150yds sort of mixed up now days with 50+ rifles, still grab the 30/06 most times as I'm playing too much with the 338/06 & 9.3X62 & never have the right load sighted or worked out !

Been using the Hornady Superperformance GMX 150gr at 3080fps & the GMX 165gr at 2940fps as I ended up with a few boxes from a hunter, I like it more than the Barnes X but need to test more yet !

Have you used the Hornady's on game yet?? Just curious..also curious how the new Hornady ELD is working on game--I have heard generally good reports to this point..but have heard a lot of good reports about Bergers also ,which I wouldn't use for hunting if they were given to me free..NOT what I consider a "hunting" bullet..

As you described above---that is all I had for a lot of years..I used .303 British military rifle..worked just fine..and was happy to have it..

For me, one caliber I have traveled a lot with for high elevation mountain game is the 280AI..up to this point, have never had to shoot any animal more than once..have used it from Europe, to Turkey with Kyrgyzstan and Azerbaijan in between..also used if for bear and big horn sheep in Montana..all one shot kills... but, who the hell am I kidding, would NEVER have just one rifle...

Honestly I have been chasing that premise for a long time..my latest that I plan to try on various types/species of game is a custom in 28 Nosler--really feel with the vast array of 7mm bullets available, can be used for most anything I will hunt with the exception of the Big 5..previously, my one caliber of choice was the 300RUM--loaded with 200gr A-Frames--has taken the greatest variety of game of any caliber/rifle combo I have owned.. 70+ head of game in Africa--including a couple of the Big 5.. dozens of elk, along with deer, pronghorn and bear..and frankly, when it comes time to putting meat in the freezer, still the one I normally grab..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (01/02/19 10:59 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#324153 - 02/02/19 07:40 AM

Quote:

My Winnie M70 is sighted in for the 165SST's @ 2,960fps and 180gr. SST's @ 2,745fps - both within in inch of each other and both making sub 3/4" groups.
With my other rifles I am constantly testing with various loads and thus, they are sighted for no specific ammo.

If I need a rifle that is sighted in, the '06 shines & is ready, no matter the game.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #324154 - 02/02/19 07:59 AM

Only on a couple of animals Ripp & they killed a little better than the TSX but nearly ever decent bullet kills well in the 06, need a bigger sample !

I haven't used the 280AI but thought it would be great in a Super Light Mountain rifle, near 7mm Mag performance & low recoil (seem to feel it now), would be no better than the 300RUM just recoil would be less, only a Big 338 is better than a big .30, the RUM with the Great A-Frames is a awesome round, so are .300Win & Weatherby I have used them & seen them used by my hunters a lot, I shot Brown, Grizzly (Inland Brown) & lots of Black Bears with the .300Win & 200gr NP but feel the 06 would have done the same with a lighter rifle & more rounds in the mag !

Could even get factory loaded Hornady Light Mag doing 2900fps, not that I really used it much, but shows what can be done with the 06 case, even factory loaded !

If I had the opportunities of Ripp to hunt that expensive Exotic/MT Game I would have a big .300 or .338 to (I mean we aren't eating them or at least shooting for meat) I think a light weight .338 & use it all the time so I know the rifle when that $30,000 to $85,000 Ram/Billy came into view !

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #324156 - 02/02/19 12:19 PM

The all around gun for everything is called a 12ga shotgun.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: Wayne59]
      #324163 - 02/02/19 04:03 PM

Got a point, Wayne.
The 12 does fill a niche and at close range with proper projectile/s, there is not a rifle ctg. today that is better for protection from anything we have here that is dangerous, 2 of 4 legged.
If needed, it can make it to 100yds. and some more in the practiced hands.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: How to build an all purpose rifle [Re: Wayne59]
      #324164 - 02/02/19 07:45 PM

Quote:

The all around gun for everything is called a 12ga shotgun.

And that is pretty much the best and only all round gun for everything small to big, except perhaps the very biggest.

The universal hunting firearm, and owened by everyone from peasants, illiterate poachers, savages, to sporting shooters and hunters, gentlemen, aristocrats to kings and emperors.

It is the rare hunter who does not have a 12 gauge shotgun (or similar gauge) in his or her house. And if they don't, they are retarded morons, or just starting out newbies ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#324184 - 03/02/19 05:26 AM

Quote:

Only on a couple of animals Ripp & they killed a little better than the TSX but nearly ever decent bullet kills well in the 06, need a bigger sample !

I haven't used the 280AI but thought it would be great in a Super Light Mountain rifle, near 7mm Mag performance & low recoil (seem to feel it now), would be no better than the 300RUM just recoil would be less, only a Big 338 is better than a big .30, the RUM with the Great A-Frames is a awesome round, so are .300Win & Weatherby I have used them & seen them used by my hunters a lot, I shot Brown, Grizzly (Inland Brown) & lots of Black Bears with the .300Win & 200gr NP but feel the 06 would have done the same with a lighter rifle & more rounds in the mag !

Could even get factory loaded Hornady Light Mag doing 2900fps, not that I really used it much, but shows what can be done with the 06 case, even factory loaded !

If I had the opportunities of Ripp to hunt that expensive Exotic/MT Game I would have a big .300 or .338 to (I mean we aren't eating them or at least shooting for meat) I think a light weight .338 & use it all the time so I know the rifle when that $30,000 to $85,000 Ram/Billy came into view !

MY 280AI is a "lightweight" made b Lex Webernick.. of RIFLES INC.
http://www.riflesinc.com/

All in with scope is less than 6 1/2 lbs.. great to carry, very accurate and recoil is insignificant.. and yes, the 280AI is basically a 7mmRem.. 3150fps with 140 Accubonds.which I use on sheep/goats..

If I were to go on a mtn hunt where I knew in all likelihood the shots will be long, I plan to take the 28 Nosler.. shoots the 175 A-Frames well for closer heavy game (moose, elk., bears,) and also shoots the Hornady ELD-X's well also..

Rifle is built on a Defiance action, Proof barrel, Chistenson Arms Carbon Fiber stock.. under 8lbs..very accurate, moderate recoil, and shoots very flat with HIGH BC bullets.. actually the reason I had it built..

My first Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan, I took my 300RUM loaded with 180 Scirocco's ... was very deadly at slightly over 400 yards.. blew pieces of his heart out onto the snow .. great in wind and long shots..but prefer NOT to drag a 9lb rifle around if I have other options..have used the 280AI for everyting since..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (04/02/19 04:51 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3581

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com