Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: xausa]
      #323533 - 20/01/19 11:15 PM

John, congrats on finally getting these rifles worked out. A Mannlicher-Schoenauer is a fine-tuned instrument to be cherished.

The non-working DST is probably just out of adjustment. If it won't set, carefully back out the adjustment screw by increments until it will set. Once you establish that, back it out a little more and set it. Then slowly turn the adjustment screw in until the trigger releases. At that point back out the adjustment screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it will be in adjustment.

Good luck!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
      #323535 - 21/01/19 12:54 AM

Wow, what a story! A fantastic gift for sure and I'm positive they will be put to the use intended. The cartridge of the M.95 straight pull bolt action is quite different from the 1908. The M.95 is a rimmed cartridge while the 1908 is rimless and it has a larger groove diameter of about .327", at least it is on a friend's rifle.
Rolf, prayers have been said for you that your medical difficulties be overcome.

Edited by JDL (21/01/19 12:59 AM)

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: NitroX]
      #323537 - 21/01/19 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Steyr M95 (straight pull) in 8x56 - 48.5 cm / 19 inches

Some questions for the experts on this rifle.

The Steyr M1895 straight pull, which country or countries used this rifle as a military rifle?

Also is the 8x56 mm the same cartridge as chambered in the Steyr model 1908 8x56 mm?

Lsstly, this rifle has sat in my gun safe as a safe queen for a number of years. I still have the original dealers tags attached to it, and there is a warning on one side "Do not remove the bolt !!!" I may have taken it out in the past, but is the straight pull bolt problematic to remove and replace back in the action? Just in case I haven't done it in the past and there is a technique to replace it back in the action.

Thanks.

What happens with some M95s is that the bolt head snaps back into the retracted position when the bolt is removed from the receiver. The bolt functions correctly as long as it is not removed, but sometimes the bolt must be removed regardless.

In order to replace the bolt, you must pull the bolt head forward and rotate it into the extended position. Sometimes the bolt head will lock in place long enough for you to slide it back into the receiver, but sometimes it won't. It it won't, then you can use a coin, such as a US penny, to hold the bolt head in proper position long enough to place it into the receiver. It may be necessary to file flats on the penny to achieve the proper spacing. I found these instructions on Youtube, by the way.

Dogfish858
.300 member

Reged: 08/08/15
Loc: Western Canada
      #323541 - 21/01/19 02:48 AM

In what way does the ds trigger not work?

--------------------
But what about you? he asked. Who do you say I am?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: JDL]
      #323543 - 21/01/19 03:23 AM

Quote:

Wow, what a story! A fantastic gift for sure and I'm positive they will be put to the use intended. The cartridge of the M.95 straight pull bolt action is quite different from the 1908. The M.95 is a rimmed cartridge while the 1908 is rimless and it has a larger groove diameter of about .327", at least it is on a friend's rifle.

Thanks. I think I identified the cartridge as a guess some time ago but do need it confirmed. I actually purchased a bag of 8x56R brassjust in case at some gun show. Thinking it might be for this rifle.

What is the proper name of this cartridge? 8x56R ? ie Mannlicher, or eg 8x56R Hungarian? I think maybe the brass I bought was the latter.)

I also think this cartridge is .330. At least that is what it is listed at one source.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: CptCurl]
      #323544 - 21/01/19 03:25 AM

Curl, thanks. That might work. Will try it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #323546 - 21/01/19 03:26 AM

Thanks Carpetsahib for the M95 bolt information.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
      #323559 - 21/01/19 09:01 AM

Quote:

The take down pin in the fore end is (of course) missing and has been replaced by a bolt (rather cleverly).

A previous post from member Louis:

Louis

Fore-end pins for MS detachable stock models now available
#300946 - 05/29/17 11:19 PM

Good news.
The uphill struggle for finding fore-end pins for MS detachable stock models has come to an end!
Michael Miedler (Austria) can produce them upon request; he recently produced a new one for me and he was also able to repair a broken leaf spring on a damaged pin I sent him. All work is professionally done and stock pins fit well. Michael can be contacted through his email miedler.michael@gmail.com or through his website http://mannlich-schönauer.com
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: Rothhammer1]
      #323560 - 21/01/19 09:18 AM

MS triggers:

--------------------

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#323562 - 21/01/19 09:47 AM

Dimensions of Mannlicher Schoenauer (Schönauer) Take Down Pin:
(From pin of 1922 proofed M1910)

Inch --- Millimeter --- # - Description

1.312 --- 33.32 --- 01) Overall Length

0.073 --- 01.86 --- 02) Thickness of head*

0.079 --- 02.00 --- 03) Head to Flange

0.032 --- 00.82 --- 04) Flange Thickness

0.187 --- 04.75 --- 05) Top of Head to Bottom of Flange

1.063 --- 27.00 --- 06) Flange to Radius at Bottom of Pin

0.445 --- 11.30 --- 07) Diameter of Head

0.251 --- 06.38 --- 08) Diameter of Flange

0.185 --- 04.70 --- 09) Diameter at Inside of Radius Between Head and Flange

Diameter of Pin:
0.197 --- 05.00 --- 10) At Flange

0.179 --- 04.54 --- 11) At 13.5mm Below Flange (mid-point to bottom radius)

0.165 --- 04.20 --- 12) At Start of Radius at Bottom of Pin

0.850 --- 21.60 --- 13) Center of Spring Pin to Flange

0.874 --- 22.20 --- 14) Bottom of Cut for Spring (to flange)

0.064 --- 01.62 --- 15) Thickness of Spring

0.065 --- 01.64 --- 16) Width of Slot for Spring

0.106 --- 02.70 --- 17) Notch in Spring (Catch)

0.221 --- 05.62 --- 18) Width of 'Push Pin' Face (Knurled)

0.092 --- 02.34 --- 19) Thickness of #18 at center (ends taper upward in a 'moon' shape)

*02) Underside of Head of Pin tapers downward toward center - thickness measured at edge where knurl begins. This is why #s 2+3+4 = less than #5

The plates mounted to the stock have holes of the following size for the pin to pass through (from right to left); Right Side - 5mm Left Side - 4.4mm .

--------------------

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
      #323702 - 24/01/19 12:23 AM

Gentlemen,

thank you very, very much for the friendly words and the wishes regarding my health!

I am really sorry to hear about the trigger problem, it was not my intention to send John some scrap !
I hope this trigger can be re-adjusted to function normally.

bullets in 8x56 M.Sch.:
I already tried some standard 196 grs SPRN from RWS or Sellier&Bellot in diameter .323" and the Nosler 180grs Ballistic Tip, also in .323".
The group spread was about 30 centimeters at 100 meters distance for five shots.

I switched to Reichenberg HDB 160grs solid copper/ open hollow point in .325" and this bullet gave groups below 30mm for 4 shots at 100 meters distance.
The next test was a 196grs Degol SPRN boded core bullet, also in dia. 325", which gave also precise shot groups at 100 meters.

If you think now that I am a bad shot, you are completely right!
But, as you might not know, my most important equipment on the range is not a good rifle or precise ammunition, but a fitting excuse why my obtained groups are not below 20mm !
Here I can only add that the scope is 6power, but it has to be sufficient ...

I loaded the Degol bullets a little bit slow in order not to put too much stress on the rifle, and shot one roe deer buck at about 120 meters (velocity at impact ca. 600 m/s)
The bullet hit exactly where I assumed the buck was standing, but after the shot the buck ran for about 20 meters in a thicket.
We found him dead with a surprisingly good heart shot, but the exit wound was like a pencil like stabbing wound, which suggested that the bullet did not open up.
I made some research and received information that the Degol bonded core bullets are made for heavier game and more target resistance like boars.
Also it would be beneficial for the bullet setup to increase the muzzle velocity.

The 9,5x57 M.Sch. is equipped also with a 6power scope (style break: a modern Zeiss 1,5-6x42 reticle 4), but shot good groups with 235grs Speer SP bullets, and this RN shape gave also slick feeding.

I want to thank John for all the work he is doing for the NitroExpress forum and also for his patience in waiting for the rifles !
I am very glad that I found this forum not only for the information about rifles and reloading, but also for the connection to other members like szihn, xausa and kuduae!

best regards & good shooting!
Rolf

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: Rolf]
      #323716 - 24/01/19 04:45 AM

To all viewers of this Forum

There is no doubt in my mind that Rolf is the real gentleman here.

Sehr gut, und dankeschoen

HB

Dogfish858
.300 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: HistoricBore]
      #323725 - 24/01/19 06:15 AM

I'd be intersted to know how the trigger is behaving. I recently rebuilt one and it was actually quite fun.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#323732 - 24/01/19 08:59 AM

Quote:

Gentlemen,

thank you very, very much for the friendly words and the wishes regarding my health!

I am really sorry to hear about the trigger problem, it was not my intention to send John some scrap !
I hope this trigger can be re-adjusted to function normally.

Thst is not the case. And I assumed from some of your emails where you referred to the triggers that they must hsve functioned fine when sent. My guess is someone has fiddled with them somewhere in the process of shipping from Germany, storage in UK, shipping from UK, receival in Australia etc. And as such instructions on how to adjust them should return them to the state when sent. And if it doesn't someone here can assist me, and in any case a set trigger on a 9.5mm is a target range luxury most of the time. In the field can be used but only for stationary unaware animals.

Rolf is truly a gentlemen. He invited me to hunt with him a number of years ago. More than a handful of years. Then recently when I was in Romania again. Unfortunately the Roimanian trip was my wife's holiday and also changed from Burma at the last moment, Burma being a bit iffy at the time. Tickets were booked and could not be changed. By my wife and I would have loved to visit Rolf in Bavaria even for a visit. But alas we couldn't change our plans.

I also invited Rolf to visit Australia and hunt water buffalo, or something else, in 2017 but unfortunately he could not make it either.

When funds permit, no doubt I will make it to Europe again one year, and I hope we can meet up. Or here in Australia.

I am going to treasure these rifles. a generous gift. And as I said elsewhere, my aim is to pass these rifles onto a worthy person or persons, oneday, maybe with the rifles history under the butt caps or somewhere. Maybe Rolf knows of the rifles history before they were sent or acquired by him? The worthy persons one day hopefully will have to wait many years.

While there are some issues to solve in reloading these rifles, such as supply of brass and bullets, I do have a supply supplied by Rolf, from the comments these rifles will shoot very well. Just need some care in creating the ammunition, sourcing proper calibre projectiles or bumping up or down other calibres, for the 8mm. The 9.5mm should be a breeze with all the makers needed manufacturing in Australia. Subject to them holding stocks.

In the nmeantime making use of the projectiles and brass supplied will enable some fun.

Quote:

The group spread was about 30 centimeters at 100 meters distance for five shots.

This is a fine hunting group and more than adequate for hunting distances.

Quote:

I switched to Reichenberg HDB 160grs solid copper/ open hollow point in .325" and this bullet gave groups below 30mm for 4 shots at 100 meters distance.
The next test was a 196grs Degol SPRN boded core bullet, also in dia. 325", which gave also precise shot groups at 100 meters.

Quote:

I loaded the Degol bullets a little bit slow in order not to put too much stress on the rifle, and shot one roe deer buck at about 120 meters (velocity at impact ca. 600 m/s)
The bullet hit exactly where I assumed the buck was standing, but after the shot the buck ran for about 20 meters in a thicket.
We found him dead with a surprisingly good heart shot, but the exit wound was like a pencil like stabbing wound, which suggested that the bullet did not open up.
I made some research and received information that the Degol bonded core bullets are made for heavier game and more target resistance like boars.
Also it would be beneficial for the bullet setup to increase the muzzle velocity.

I think the bullet will be good medicine for sambar deer, and also red deer. On our usually smaller pigs and also medium sized deer, it may also expand. Roe deer are fairly small.

Quote:

I want to thank John for all the work he is doing for the NitroExpress forum and also for his patience in waiting for the rifles !
I am very glad that I found this forum not only for the information about rifles and reloading, but also for the connection to other members like szihn, xausa and kuduae!

No thanks are necessary and the gift was so generous I had trouble accepting it without paying you something. At least for one rifle! But Rolf kept refusing.

I enjoy it also when members get enjoyment from these forums, sharing information, making friendships and joining in here and also in the real world. Venues like facebook to me seem so transitory, temporary, and sterile. I hope these forums continue in their current form or similar form for a long time still to come.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: Dogfish858]
      #323734 - 24/01/19 09:23 AM

Quote:

I'd be intersted to know how the trigger is behaving. I recently rebuilt one and it was actually quite fun.

At the moment with no attempt at adjustmen as advised on a previous post. The front trigger has quite a heavy let off. The rear setting trigger has zero movement. If depressed does not move at all rearwards.

It MIGHT be possible someone adjusted the trigger to have a heavier pull and maybe blocked the set trigger somehow. Some customs officials do not like light trigger pulls if they test the rifles, before allowing them into the country.

The trigger on the 9.5mm is heavish, but not so much that it would be a issue for hunting.

BTW one of my WJ Jeffery doubel rifle triggers had a let off of 13 kg (from memory -seems impossible?) before a good gunsmith fixed the problem for me. No wonder I had trouble shooting two barrel groups with it before then.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Dogfish858
.300 member

#323739 - 24/01/19 09:46 AM

Maybe the adjustment screw is run too far in or the rear action screw is overtightened. The front trigger should be heavy but smooth. Or maybe the pin in the rear trigger has backed out a bit.

--------------------

Edited by Dogfish858 (24/01/19 10:24 AM)

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#323742 - 24/01/19 10:51 AM

Quote:

I hope these forums continue in their current form or similar form for a long time still to come.

Word!

Oh, and if anyone else has too much Mannlicher Schnauer 'scrap' about, I'd be glad to pay shipping to my address!

--------------------

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
      #323752 - 24/01/19 05:45 PM

Gentlemen,

please find below some additional reloading information regarding John´s rifle.
Please bear also in mind that other lots of M.S. rifles can have other dimensions, so the advice for checking the barrel diameter before reloading is here strongly recommended!

My information is limited for the results of the rifle produced by österr. Waffenfabrik Steyr, Patent Mannlicher Schönauer M1908 with serial no. 28XX.

With the only available manufactured ammunition from Dorfner company in Wien, I measured a muzzle velocity of 655 m/s with a 13,1 gram bullet (soft point round nose).

Good precision was obtained in reloaded ammunition with the following bullets:

A) Degol 196grs soft point round nose bonded core (bullet length 27,2mm, BC ca. .270)
Bullet diameter (measuring device: micrometer): 8,247mm equals .3247”
Reloading information:
42.0grs Kemira N140 (measured velocity: 610 m/s)
OAL: 75,0mm
Primer: Winchester LR
Case: Horneber 8x56 M.Sch. (case volume 60.2grs water)
This is a conservative load which can be increased.

B) Reichenberg 160grs HDB, (dia .324”, bullet length 26,0mm), solid copper bullet with a large hollow point and black lubricant coating, very precise!
Bullet diameter (measuring device: micrometer): 8,292mm equals .3265” (with coating!)
Reloading information:
46.0grs Kemira N140 (measured velocity: 690 m/s)
OAL: 73,4mm
This is a conservative load which can be increased.

C) Delsing 205grs / dia . 325” soft point round nose (bullet length 27,8mm)
Reloading information:
45.0grs Kemira N140 (measured velocity: 644 m/s)
OAL: 76,1mm
This is regarded as a maximum load, as the velocity approaches the velocity of the Dorfner manufactured ammunition.

best regards
Rolf

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#328908 - 28/05/19 04:13 AM

I'm hoping to spare some time next week and get one of these shooting. A start anyway.

If I have some 270 gr FNs, will give the 9.5mm a go. Otherwise the possibly more difficult 8mm.

Must check I have all the components, the powder tyoe needed on hand. Almost certainly should have it. Primers not a problem. Brass I have. S selection of projectiles, other than 270 gr RNs, I have Woodleigh protected points, but not sure the RNs. Might get them posted by next week if I order now. Dies and shell holders. May need a lube pad? Couldn't find it recently.

Then some non rainy weather for test shooting, but I hope it does rain. Need it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#328937 - 28/05/19 09:28 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping to spare some time next week and get one of these shooting. A start anyway.

If I have some 270 gr FNs, will give the 9.5mm a go... other than 270 gr RNs, I have Woodleigh protected points, but not sure the RNs.

For the M1910, start with round nose 270 grain and build them precisely like this;

Otherwise, expect to load only two cartridges at a time into your rifle. As covered in previous posts (on other threads), the early Schönauer magazines can be rather particular as to what they're fed. If the bullet profile is not right or set to proper depth, loading the third cartridge will likely cause a jam as the first becomes misaligned and stuck.

With cartridges built to the original profile, however, one can load from five round strippers (most 8mm Mauser clips work fine) with a slight push of the thumb and the magazine will function flawlessly. I'd highly recommend building at least five rounds exactly as shown in the Eley drawing (even if powderless and primerless 'dummies') just for the sheer joy of experiencing how beautifully that magazine does work when properly fed. That will give you the baseline from which to craft your loads - perfection.

As the pre M1924 magazines have no 'guide ring', any variation from original bullet profile and overall dimensions may cause binding of the cartridges in the magazine. If you use shorter or differently shaped projectiles, expect to experiment with such until you find profiles and seating depths that will function in your magazine. It's necessary that there be sufficient bearing surface where the projectile rides along the milled area at the lower magazine body.

If your projectile is not wide enough or set out long enough to engage the machined area at left, it may be prone to misalignment and jamming.

These work:

The (now nearly extinct) Hornady 3715
I believe the Woodleigh 270RN is dimensionally identical.

If you can have projectiles (decorative paperweights?) shipped to you from the U.S., check on these every now and again. I laid in a supply when they had some at .26 each in lots of 100 (click link): Midway

Detail of Eley drawing:

Original DWM 531:

Rothhammer1
.400 member

#329079 - 03/06/19 05:46 PM

Here's a directly relevant prior post of member Kuduae:

First, the last sentence of his post;

Loaded cartridges for the M1910 should at least have a Diameter of about 7.5 =.30" at 70 mm = 2.75" from the base for proper function in the magazine. Other bullets with very slim, pointed noses will be hopeless, as they may be too slim 8 mm behind the point to be held properly to the spindle.

The whole post:

In the pre-1924 Mannlicher – Schoenauer models M1903, 05, 08 and 1910 magazines the cartridges are held to the cartridge carrier rotor by flanges machined in both receiver and magazine bottom. The rear one, about 5.5 mm = .22" wide guides the cartridge bases and is no problem. The front one, about 8 mm = .32" wide, holds the bullet noses.M 1924 and later models introduced a seperate guide ring instead of the machined bullet guides. My old photo shows M1910 magazine parts on the left with the bullet guide at the front end. On the right are the simplified parts of a post-WW2 6.5x68 "Magnum" magazine without such bullet guide, but with the neck guide ring.

Cartridges for all these old M03 -10 rifles must be loaded close to maximum oal, so the bullet noses may be held to the carrier spindle by the guide flange. If, f.i. you try to convert a M03 6.5x54 into a flat shooting varmint number by loading light, short, pointed bullets that are too short to be engaged by the guide flange, the front ends of the cartridges in the magazine will drop away from the carrier spindle and jam. This is your "third round problem"! To avoid such jamming all cartridges for the old M-S models have to be seated close to maximum magazine oal, disregarding any existing crimp grooves. In the 9x56 M05 the 200 gr .35 round noses, designed for the .35 Remington, are too short if seated to the crimping groove. This applies especially to bullets with slimmer noses than the old blunt round nose, like the TTX or the Speer 235 gr. Loaded cartridges for the M1910 should at least have a Diameter of about 7.5 =.30" at 70 mm = 2.75" from the base for proper function in the magazine. Other bullets with very slim, pointed noses will be hopeless, as they may be too slim 8 mm behind the point to be held properly to the spindle.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #329088 - 04/06/19 01:02 AM

Notice the 9.5x56 is .001" larger at the shoulder than an Ackley IMP case. It is an excellent design.

Unfortunately, the 270gr. Hornady is no discontinued.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's! [Re: DarylS]
      #329178 - 06/06/19 03:41 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, the 270gr. Hornady is no discontinued.

For auld lang syne:

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#329279 - 11/06/19 06:55 PM

Haven't had a go with it. Been sick for a week and a half. Winter flu.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com