Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My latest Mauser project

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
Kammerherren
.224 member

Reged: 22/02/11
Loc: Norway
My latest Mauser project
      #271202 - 02/10/15 04:22 AM

I am about to have a new rifle project started, based on an old Oberndorf action. It is serial number 102431, so I believe it is produced between 1928-1931. I don't think the barrel is as old as the action, but I really don’t know the history of the barrel. It looks newer.... The main objective is to have a new stock made, since the original is missing. In addition, the gunsmith needs to address the metal finish and some new sights need to be installed. I took the liberty of borrowing a picture from Lancaster, (I hope you can forgive me….) because this shows the rear sight I would like to have fitted on the barrel. Anyone out there who knows where I can find something like this?

I am not that fond of recoil, so I plan on designing the buttstock more “modern” than it was originally, back in 1928. Since this is a Mauser chambered for a very classic German cartridge,(10,75x68) I want the rifle to look German, so I believe I will keep the “side panels” around the action that was very common back in the days. I have seen some newly made rifles with a stock as described, so I believe there are other people out there that have had the same priorities/desires as I do.

I’ll add some more pictures later on as soon as the gunsmith start working on the project. This could take a while….. Meanwhile, I include some pictures of the parts as they are now.

To be continued.

--------------------
Collects guns made at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk in Norway and European sporting rifles 1890-1940, feel free to have a look at my homepage. www.oldkongsbergarms.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: Kammerherren]
      #271214 - 02/10/15 08:42 AM

Kammerherren:
Looking forward to following this project.
Barreled action looks like a marvelous start!

Any "borrowed" photos of the stock lines you intend to follow?

Sorry can't help with sourcing a folding rear sight, hopefully someone here will have a suggestion or two.

Good luck!

BTW do you have the front sight bead/blade?

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

stug
.275 member

Reged: 20/08/14
Loc: Canterbury, New Zealand
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: Marrakai]
      #271216 - 02/10/15 10:21 AM

What about this one?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/firearm-parts/other/auction-956958704.htm

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: stug]
      #271227 - 02/10/15 04:20 PM

Cool project. Will be a very effective moose rifle and also with the right bullets for Africa. Plus for fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Kammerherren
.224 member

Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: NitroX]
      #271233 - 02/10/15 04:49 PM

Regarding stock design, I really like this one.

This rifle is a lot more fancy than mine is going to be, but the stock lines is basically what I want to copy. It looks quite classic and German, but is should handle more modern, I hope…..

Att. Marrakai, No I don’t have the front bead, so I need to find some kind of replacement.
Att. Stug, that one was interesting, I have not found that model on Recknagels webpage. Perhaps it’s now obsolete? My only concern is that I believe it is too narrow to fit my barrel.

This rifle is going to be a good looking working rifle, without scope. It should be fine for moose, but I hope to take it to Africa for some larger game at some point. With modern bullets, the 10,75x68 should work better than ever for B5 in Africa.

--------------------
Collects guns made at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk in Norway and European sporting rifles 1890-1940, feel free to have a look at my homepage. www.oldkongsbergarms.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #271234 - 02/10/15 05:00 PM

That's a nice design of stock for your rifle. The slight schnabel forend but with a straight comb and buttstock for better recoil management. And also for scope use.

Do you plan to fit a scope in QD mounts or keep it for open sights only?

An idea might be to consider a bolt shroud pop up peep sight too. I have an excellent photo from Rigby of what they are making now. Someone was selling similar on NE a few years ago, so they might be sourced still ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (02/10/15 05:58 PM)

Kammerherren
.224 member

Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: NitroX]
      #271237 - 02/10/15 06:06 PM

I don't intend to have a scope mounted on this rifle. The only reason I want a straight comb and buttstock is as you say, for better recoil management. The pre WW2 stock designs are in my opinion really good looking, and they handle very well with low recoil rifles, but they are really painful with larger calibre rifles. A peep sight is a very good alternative to standard iron sights, and I have not concluded yet, but since the barrel already are prepared for iron sights, I want to have some installed. A peep sight could be added in addition on the rear end of the action. A bolt shroud pop up peep sight is really sweet looking, but I believe it is more cost-effective to have the peep sight installed on the action, and I guess it is more rugged as well. This rifle is not going to be cheap, but I don’t want to go all the way either…. I like my rifles to be good looking but still useable, in a way where I’m not afraid of using them even when the sun is not shining….. Our hunting season involves quite a lot of bad weather.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #271243 - 03/10/15 12:38 AM

Quote:

Regarding stock design, I really like this one.

That is special!!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: DarylS]
      #271249 - 03/10/15 04:49 AM

Perhaps can I help.
Think that we have some original Mauser transverse front beads and I'm sure that we can found a rear sight also.
Drop me a m@il on our web site address.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Kammerherren
.224 member

Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: DORLEAC]
      #271677 - 14/10/15 09:02 AM

I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Dorleac. He actually sent me three different original Mauser transverse front sights together with an original rear flip up sight free of charge. I still don’t know if the rear sight will fit, but I am sure one or more of the front sights will fit. This was a really unexpected, but very nice surprise! Thank you very much!

--------------------

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
      #271683 - 14/10/15 03:19 PM

You certainly were lucky, in 1992 I paid $100.00 at the Buffalo Gun Show for an Oberndorf Mauser rear sight.

Rino
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Norway/South-Africa
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #274312 - 30/11/15 09:33 PM

I am looking forward to see your rifle finished.
This is a true classic !

--------------------
Alf Rino Hals

Edited by Rino (30/11/15 09:35 PM)

Kammerherren
.224 member

Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: Rino]
      #323193 - 11/01/19 09:11 AM

Time flies when you have 3 small kids…… This project has not mowed much since 2015, but now it slowly starts mowing. I have sourced a piece of xxx walnut, quite nice and very rugged. I also sourced a copy of a Rigby style peep sight.

The gunsmith has looked into the components, and he came to the conclusion that I should not use this action. There are several flaws with it so I have found another in much better condition. The barrel on the other hand is in perfect condition.

A while back I bought an original vintage M98 sporting rifle in 10,75x68 (most likely made by Sauer) and a RCBS die set followed that rifle. That means I now have 2 die sets for 10,75x68. Luxury problems!

The true reason for the delayed start on this project is that I spent way too much money on a few other rifles since 2015. Let’s see if I can prioritize the project now, and see it completed sooner rather than later! To be continued.

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #323212 - 11/01/19 10:41 PM

If you have not yet settled on a stock, may I suggest this one: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=7141056

I have bought two stocks from this company, one Mauser and one Mannlicher Schoenauer, and am quite pleased with them.

The side panels on Oberndorf Mauser sporter stocks disappeared after World War I, and your action is definitely newer than that.

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: xausa]
      #323448 - 19/01/19 11:26 AM

xausa can you tell me what the shipping was? That's a very nice stock. With the Google translation I have a question. Google translation= pulley bolts?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: casper50]
      #323451 - 19/01/19 11:44 AM

Kammerherren:

Your idea about stock design makes a lot of sense.

I just bought a Sauer 100 in 9.3x62 and it weighs 7 lbs scoped and all and the stock pitch totally eliminates any recoil to the face. I accomplished the same thing myself with a couple of Husqvarna 9.3x57's, one of which weighed under 7 lbs.

Take a look at the shape of the Sauer and you'll see the downward slope to the comb. It just plain works.

Hilsen fra snøvite nord Idaho.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: My latest Mauser project [Re: casper50]
      #323462 - 19/01/19 08:51 PM

I checked my correspondence and found that I paid a total of 800 Euros for the two stocks I ordered, one Mauser and the other Mannlicher Schoenauer, including shipping. I didn't receive a separate quote for shipping alone.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com