Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 fullstock rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
CZ 550 fullstock rifles
      #322582 - 18/12/18 09:16 PM

I see that several CZ dealers in NOrth America now claim the CZ550 fullstock rifles are no longer being imported. I am not sure if they are still being manufactured on a perhaps limited basis because I know several European arms companies make fullstock rifles exclusively for the European market (Tikka for instance) and their North American importers will not order them.

I have owned a couple of new CZ 550 fullstock rifles in the last few years but sold them because of the awkward bulky stocks and the indifferent quality of the walnut. However, I recently picked up a CZ550 FS in 9.3x62 dated 2007 and it has a much leaner factory stock, a narrow grip and great wood.I wonder if this was an option or an older type of stock? Or did CZ simply switch to a different stock supplier?

Can anyone give me a rough date in the last ten years when CZ began stocking the 550 with the bulkier stocks? This must have contributed to poor sales. I know several people who ordered the rifle and were very disappointed in the stock when it arrived. And they ended up selling them because of the stock. Most people who want a fullstock rifle, want a trim handy carbine.

Its as if CZ decided to speed up production by just not finishing the carving of the stocks. It feels like the stocks are a 1/2 inch thicker than they need to be in all dimensions. I have big hands and the stocks still seemed bulky. The pistol grips were huge and at least an inch longer than necessary. No wonder they didn't sell (I assume thats the reason for the decision to no longer import them.)

The first two photos are of the recent bulky stocks and the last two are of my slim stock version.

Edited by rpeck (18/12/18 09:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hoot
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/17
Loc: MN
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: rpeck]
      #322589 - 19/12/18 03:28 AM

I don't know the answer to your question but I sure like #2!

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: Hoot]
      #322602 - 19/12/18 12:23 PM

nice tiger stripe are they both the same grade?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: ducmarc]
      #322606 - 19/12/18 01:05 PM

Mine was stock #2.

6.5x55 but it wasn't a true controlled round feeder and it weighed a ton.

I sent it back to CZ and they re-barreled it for me to 9.3x62 and then, documented here, I eventually after a number of cuts and shaves {barrel and buttstock & forestock} made it my 16 1/4" bear gun. Have killed some bear and deer with it.

But it was definitely the one without the hook pistol grip.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JDL
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/10
Loc: Louisiana
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322658 - 21/12/18 03:05 AM

I have a 7x64 made in 1998 which has a very plain stock. Accuracy is fine, the action smooth but, there is way too much lumber in the stock. Thinking I may send it down the road.

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: ducmarc]
      #322728 - 24/12/18 01:57 AM

Quote:

nice tiger stripe are they both the same grade?

Yes, its a very nice slim stock with great full length "tiger-stripe"...but I don't know if there were different grades or different models of the FS CZ 550. Yet there must be some explanation for the difference between this stock and the bulky ones (usually with much plainer wood). I assume a different stock supplier but I don't know the details.

Edited by rpeck (24/12/18 11:43 AM)

Cougarz
.224 member

Reged: 17/12/08
Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: rpeck]
      #323025 - 05/01/19 07:17 PM

I have one of the late versions in 9.3x62 the last year they were imported into the USA. I fully agree with your assessment of the bulky stock dimensions. Mine does have fairly nicely figured wood though.

I'm wondering if it's possible to find a gunsmith who can remove some wood on the original stock?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: Cougarz]
      #323029 - 06/01/19 12:47 AM

Quote:

I have one of the late versions in 9.3x62 the last year they were imported into the USA. I fully agree with your assessment of the bulky stock dimensions. Mine does have fairly nicely figured wood though.

I'm wondering if it's possible to find a gunsmith who can remove some wood on the original stock?

I took a farrier's rasp, some files and sandpaper to mine. Turned out pretty well IIDSSM. Certainly far more useful than it was before.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: 9.3x57]
      #323035 - 06/01/19 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I took a farrier's rasp, some files and sandpaper to mine. Turned out pretty well IIDSSM. Certainly far more useful than it was before.

I have the same issue with a new Winchester Model 70 I purchased --way too thick and bulky up front for my tastes..need to have work done to it as well..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Cougarz
.224 member

Reged: 17/12/08
Loc: Pacific Northwest USA
Re: CZ 550 fullstock rifles [Re: Ripp]
      #323081 - 07/01/19 06:24 PM

Yeah well I don't trust myself enough to do a presentable job of it! I like the overall stock but from the magazine back it could use a reduction in girth while still maintaining the original shape, hogback comb and all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2613

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com