Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help
      #315573 - 23/04/18 10:31 AM

Need some help from you blokes down south of the equator. Never saw one of these for sale before in the USA and couldn't help myself. I like the 22 Hornet and I like them on real centerfire actions. What kind of trouble did I buy? Do they shoot? Feeding or mechanical issues? First year gun without the dimple in the rear bridge.

Thanks.

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: TexasJohn]
      #315577 - 23/04/18 11:28 AM

One of my mates had one of those when we were young fellas, it was lovely and shot like stink. I haven’t had much else to do with them, but yours is in much better nick than his was. His gave no trouble that I recall. Sorry bit short on info but that is what I recall

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: Viking338]
      #315580 - 23/04/18 01:24 PM

Well done, great rifles, Ive had 3 over the years & some guys will tell you non were made in 22 Hornet, we call them BSA Hunters down here, some say Regent or Royal action !

All mine feed well & only one of mine had a good barrel but all shot Ok, with that one tack driver !

I think the only 22 Hornet that feeds from a in body magazine (I dont know what a normal magazine in the rifle is called ?) but BSA got it cracked !

Got a bit of weight for a Hornet but look at that big extractor & feeding system, great !

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: Sarg]
      #315584 - 23/04/18 06:38 PM

You have a real gm there...and an uncommon BSA chambering. Enjoy it

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: paradox_]
      #315588 - 24/04/18 12:12 AM

Frank de Haas gave this BSA series good marks in his book. I knew the BSAs saw considerable use in NZ and Australia. Thanks for the confirmation that this should be a solid piece.

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #315591 - 24/04/18 02:04 AM

What is the bolt lockup look like?

Standard 2-lug Mauser or no lugs up front like a Ruger M77 Hornet?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: DarylS]
      #315593 - 24/04/18 03:40 AM

Front locker ala Mauser.

--------------------
John

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #315598 - 24/04/18 07:43 AM

Hornets are harder to find in BSA, the ones I have seen here in Aust sell quickly, ive had three BSA Hunters in 222's , a 243 and a 308 ,always fed perfectly, along with two CF2s 270/22-250 and one Majestic 222 .Your model imo is one of the best modified M98 type actions ,I think they are better than the BRNO hornets ,better action .only thing, mounts have a wider than 5/8 dovetail so mounts are not as easy to find .Apart from that you found yourself a Gem ! hang onto it .

DarylS
.700 member

Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: 500Boswell]
      #315611 - 25/04/18 03:24 AM

TKS John - I have some loading data might be interesting to you. PM if you wish.

This data is only suitable for the stronger actions like CZ527, Ruger M77/Hornet, Thompson Center Contender, Ruger #3's - Anschutz.

This rifle appears suitable, but of course must be worked up.
Since I was able to use Pistol Primers, this data actually produces less than 50,000psi.

Over 20 firings on my brass now in a CZ527 with ZERO losses to expanded pockets. Best shot so far, was a buck gopher at 454 yards.

It would also be suitable for properly built & headspaced Martinis.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #315621 - 25/04/18 08:18 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Texas John, I have the same rifle in .222Rem (but it's not in as good condition as your Hornet).
Their a great little rifle.

As Sarg said above + apparently, these may be "Royal" model rifles.

Iirc and FYI, this is the email address for the British supplier of available parts for BSA's (Bezzer's).
enquiries@airgunspares.com

I'll try to locate their web site for you, and post it here shortly.
http://www.airgunspares.com/store/

Lest We Forget!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: Homer]
      #315624 - 25/04/18 08:55 AM

Homer,
Thanks for the supplier information. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend in NZ that told me that these rifles in .222 were very popular with the Deer Cullers. I thought that was a strong enough recommendation for the model - along with the de Haas evaluation in his book on bolt rifles. The seller listed it as a "Majestic", but since the model is not marked on the rifle I am not sure which one it really is - nor do I care as long as the quality is there. A real top loader in Hornet is not common. I am interested to see how the magazine was engineered.

TexasJohn

--------------------
John

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #315634 - 25/04/18 05:47 PM

G'Day Again,

No probs Cobber, happy to help.
I have a few saved links on Beeza centrefire rifles Texas John, here they are;

https://books.google.com./books?id=tuV...flef=false

http://www.pmulcahy.com/bolt-action_sporting_rifles/british_ba_spr_a-b.htm
and
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Eq2...fle&f=false

Lest We Forget!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: Homer]
      #315651 - 26/04/18 07:37 AM

There was a story in an old Guns Australia magazine of a deer culler in NZ he had two BSA Royals and shot something like 9000 Deer with one of them and said ''it still shoots a good group !''

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: 500Boswell]
      #323057 - 06/01/19 07:46 PM

Just out of interest:

These rifles were originally sold in the mid-fifties as BSA Hunter rifles, and were small action cartridges, .22 Hornet .222 REm. They had "BSA HUNTER" on the left receiver wall.

When they started making large actions for other cartridges about 1958 they changed the name and called it a BSA Royal and dropped the Hunter marking on the receiver - mid-size actions were called Viscount and long actions were Imperial.

All of these were Mauser actions.

The BSA Majestic is a simplified rifle in a push feed action that came afterwards, made from about 1960. They were a diffirent action, but looked much the same, and were in the same slim stocks. (People often get them mixed up - but a Majestic actually has the word Majestic written along the bolt body.)

They all were extremely popular in NZ and Aus, and sold used still command a premium even today, because they were excellent rifles, and used in a golden period of market hunting in both countries.

In the united States these rifles were marketed as the "Royal" line, and were all just called BSA Royals. Your rifle may be a later Royal small action, or it might be the earlier "hunter" model, but sold in the US without the Hunter marked on the action. Same rifle either way, just marketed differently.

In the UK, I am told, old BSA rifles have been forgotten. They live on in NZ, and have entered the hunting community consciousness to such an extent that BSA rifles of any description are often just called BSA Hunters, as if there were only one model.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #323059 - 06/01/19 08:10 PM

Dont sell it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: BSA Bolt Action Hornet - Aussie and Kiwis Help [Re: tophet1]
      #323067 - 07/01/19 05:15 AM

Bunch of BSA rifles have shown up at tradeexcanada as well. I don't recall any Hornets, but will check again.

--------------------
Daryl

TexasJohn
.300 member

#323072 - 07/01/19 09:02 AM

I went to Tradexcanada's web page and looked through their sporting arms (used) - it is worth taking the time just to see all the nice Husky's and '98 Mauser sporters they have in stock. The Husky 46 series is under-appreciated in North America as they are delightful small sporters. I wish they had an outlet in the USA. I did not see any BSA guns in Hornet. The one I purchased is the only one I have seen for sale here in the USA. I took in on a Prairie Dog Safari in May and killed over 100 Prairie Dogs with it. I sighted it in in the field and I still have not shot it on paper; however, I can tell you it is accurate from the consistent head shots I made out to longer ranges. It is a keeper. Hornets built on full sized centerfire actions are not really common - Model 70 and Model 54 Winchesters are expensive, Ruger chamber the #3 and the #1B in Hornet. The #3 is a great little gun - the #1 should have been a 1A rather than the 1B - the limited run of #1A guns (About 775?) makes the hard to find and expensive as well. CZ527 and Brno ZKWs are pretty easy to find. This is what can be done with a Ruger #3 in Hornet:

--------------------
John

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #323083 - 07/01/19 06:56 PM

Quote:

Need some help from you blokes down south of the equator. Never saw one of these for sale before in the USA and couldn't help myself. I like the 22 Hornet and I like them on real centerfire actions. What kind of trouble did I buy? Do they shoot? Feeding or mechanical issues? First year gun without the dimple in the rear bridge.

Thanks.

Hello TJ,

Your rifle is a BSA Standard Weight short action, and the model name is 'REGENT'.
They normally shoot extremely well, and don't usually have any feeding dramas.

I've been shooting these early BSA's in a few different calibers for over 30 years.

That rifle of yours looks to be in great condition!
Well done!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com