Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel
      #321607 - 17/11/18 03:04 AM

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/10/19/fn-mausers-and-the-fight-for-israel/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: Ripp]
      #321611 - 17/11/18 07:04 AM

Good article, tks Art.

In about 1974, I sent a rifle with a butt plate identical to those, to my brother for his birthday. I bought it at Allen Lever's "Toys for Big Boys" store in Vancouver, BC.
It had already been 'sporterized'. I do not remember what the 'crest' if any, it had on the front receiver ring.

It was chambered in .30/06.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: DarylS]
      #321620 - 17/11/18 11:12 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for sharing Ripp, it's an interesting read.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: Homer]
      #321646 - 18/11/18 07:18 PM

These rifles were available in Australia in the 1990's (?), perhaps later for $100 and were in good condition. A great disappointment I never picked one up back then.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: NitroX]
      #321658 - 19/11/18 05:43 AM

I paid $55.00 for the '06 I gave Taylor.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #321678 - 19/11/18 10:49 PM

Quote:

I paid $55.00 for the '06 I gave Taylor.

Wow--$55..

I paid $45 for my uncles 303 British rifle...was the only centerfire rifle I had as a kid growing up on the farm--open military sights.. great way to learn in my opinion..

We should have all bought a truck load back then..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

HunterGunner
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/14
Loc: New Zealand
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: Ripp]
      #322871 - 30/12/18 07:30 AM

I had one in 7.62, beautiful condition, but the straight walled case never fed well from the unaltered magazine resulting in a lot of mis- feeding. So I sold it. I’ve always been keen to buy one of those earlier Israeli re-works of a WW1 era action rifles in 8mm. Would be an interesting piece as to what it’s seen etc.

Edited by HunterGunner (30/12/18 07:31 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: HunterGunner]
      #322872 - 30/12/18 07:36 AM

Quote:

I had one in 7.62, beautiful condition, but the straight walled case never fed well from the unaltered magazine resulting in a lot of mis- feeding. So I sold it. I’ve always been keen to buy one of those earlier Israeli re-works of a WW1 era action rifles in 8mm. Would be an interesting piece as to what it’s seen etc.

I read an account from an Israeli soldier from the early years that said his 7.62 Mauser was at best a single loader. One from the top of the magazine and that was it. Total junk.

As you say, the guns {at least some of them} appear to have been simply rebarreled w/o regard for magazine alterations.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mauserand9mm
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322879 - 30/12/18 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I read an account from an Israeli soldier from the early years that said his 7.62 Mauser was at best a single loader. One from the top of the magazine and that was it. Total junk.

As you say, the guns {at least some of them} appear to have been simply rebarreled w/o regard for magazine alterations.

I have a 1945 DOT Israeli Mauser (not really assembled in 1945 but probably in the early 50s so I've been led to believe. The "5" is mis-stamped compared to the rest of the figures). It has a spacer in the front of the magazine but I'm not convinced that it does anything because the round that is fed into the chamber doesn't go near the spacer.

I have to cycle the bolt quickly otherwise the round pops out of the magazine ahead of the extractor and it won't snap over the chambered round, but it could be modified to do so.

I have a friend who converted an 8mm Mauser to 308 by screwing on an Israeli barrel he got at a gunshow. There's no spacer in the magazine and he hasn't modified the feed rails in any way, and it feeds fine.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #322882 - 31/12/18 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a 1945 DOT Israeli Mauser (not really assembled in 1945 but probably in the early 50s so I've been led to believe. The "5" is mis-stamped compared to the rest of the figures). It has a spacer in the front of the magazine but I'm not convinced that it does anything because the round that is fed into the chamber doesn't go near the spacer.

I have to cycle the bolt quickly otherwise the round pops out of the magazine ahead of the extractor and it won't snap over the chambered round, but it could be modified to do so.

I have a friend who converted an 8mm Mauser to 308 by screwing on an Israeli barrel he got at a gunshow. There's no spacer in the magazine and he hasn't modified the feed rails in any way, and it feeds fine.

All of that makes sense.

Some will. Some won't.

That's kind of true about some commercial rifles as well! LOL

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
      #322891 - 31/12/18 08:19 AM

Quote:

Good article, tks Art.

In about 1974, I sent a rifle with a butt plate identical to those, to my brother for his birthday. I bought it at Allen Lever's "Toys for Big Boys" store in Vancouver, BC.
It had already been 'sporterized'. I do not remember what the 'crest' if any, it had on the front receiver ring.

It was chambered in .30/06.

Will T. and I used to spend our lunch hours in Allen's shop, especially after his trips back to the UK. Back in those days Allen used to import used double rifles from the UK. I learned to love British doubles fondling them in that shop. With no new brass or loaded ammunition available for them they sold for what now seem like ridiculously low prices. I still hunt with a Watson Brothers 450/400 3 inch I bought there for approximately $400.

I am another who bought one of the Israeli sporterized Mausers in 30-06 from Allen. It was for my son as his first rifle and as a Christmas present. He carried it for many years while guiding out of Smithers for various outfitters. I believe it is still in his gun safe.

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FN Mausers-and-the-fight-for-Israel [Re: dracb]
      #322908 - 01/01/19 05:37 AM

So many good deals slipped past us trying to balance our incomes between eating, girls, guns and shooting supplies.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4033

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com