Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: weatherby

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
weatherby
      #322538 - 17/12/18 01:36 PM

why is everyone on the net so down on the weatherby they are not particularly expensive and have some of the biggest motored cartridges out there. is it sour grapes or what. i was looking over the weekend at a mark v in 300 weatherby real clean with a leopold on top for 800 bucks yea it has the seventys wood that matches dads golf clubs. high luster. but super japanese machining and finish.the 340 interests me the most.then i look at a 700 rem looks like it was machined by the vet cong just east of cambodia.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: weatherby [Re: ducmarc]
      #322547 - 17/12/18 06:55 PM

This is just my take. The stocks in the early days where very garish. The shape is hideous to me- but they work managing recoil. Roy knew a thing or two. Also most that had them could not shoot them due to the recoil. This along with the shooting public still being members of the human race hear one thing, whether true or not and spread the rumour as fact. So somebody bad mouths a point and so it grows.

The MkV I have seen have been crafted very well and leave the bulk of the massed produced rifle behind for quality control and finished quality.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: weatherby [Re: Rule303]
      #322549 - 17/12/18 11:15 PM

I have had several, the 340 being one of my favorite cartridges.

The positives:

1. The stock is of good design to control recoil albeit an inch and a half short for my long neck. Weatherby uses generally very pretty lumber.
2. Their safety is one of the easiest to use in the industry.
3. The action is bank vault strong
4. They are very well put together.
5. The prices for new ones are double that of a Remchester and similar to a good Sako, but one expects to pay for quality - all in all, they are priced well considering the competitiion.

Now the down side(s):

1. Stocks frequently break at the wrist.
2. Warrantee work is tough to engage.
3. I’ve had at least two Mark V rifles where when one cycles the bolt, the bolt stop forgets about stopping the bolt and it whacks the unsuspecting user in the beak.
4. Accuracy is mediocre by today’s standards. 1 1/2” groups are about the norm (accumarks with the Kreiger button rifled barrel will shoot much tighter though). They are hunting guns, built with forend pressure. Free floating them results in shotgun patterns in my personal experience.
5. The triggers are unpredictable and the sear breaks at different times from pull to pull. Sometimes it breaks earlier than expected and sometimes later - aftermarket triggers don’t seem to remedy this situation.

I have been a long time Weatherby fanboy, but the lustre is maybe wearing off some for the buying public. I do think they are excellent hunting guns, but they really need some minor design improvements to keep up with the times. Most manufacturers strive to crowd 1/2 MoA and a lot of that is more marketing hype than reality, but the bar is being raised and maybe Weatherby should think about a few improvements to take an excellent concept into the modern age. I bought a Winchester Super Grade in .300 WSM about 2 months ago, (my very first centrefire Winchester) and I was totally blown away by the true 1/2 MoA accuracy, the excellent trigger and the overall fit and finish, all at slightly more than 1/2 the price of a Mark V deluxe. After that experience, the Weathery value proposition loses a bit of lustre.

Edited by Postman (17/12/18 11:20 PM)

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: weatherby [Re: Postman]
      #322550 - 17/12/18 11:24 PM

Weatherby rifles cater for a certain taste. I have owned many over the years and enjoyed them. I no longer own any my tastes have changed. They are great guns warts and all.

Postman
.375 member

Re: weatherby [Re: Ahmed577]
      #322551 - 17/12/18 11:55 PM

Quote:

Weatherby rifles cater for a certain taste. I have owned many over the years and enjoyed them. I no longer own any my tastes have changed. They are great guns warts and all.

Well said!!

Many feel that the flash of a Weatherby is a bit over the top, and many others are envious because the price point is a bit out of reach for the unwashed masses. I was sometimes a bit self conscious about that going to the hunt camp. An analogy: Many buy fast cars to “look” fast. Others buy them to “be” fast. The first group often are afraid of the recoil and can’t hit the side of a barn, but they look good doing it!!! I fall into the second camp and always saw the many merits of the Weatherbys, never mind what others felt about them. The Weatherbys should be weighed on technical mert. Nothing less and nothing more.

Maxim
.224 member

Reged: 04/06/16
Loc: Michigan USA
      #322553 - 18/12/18 01:07 AM

I had a Weatherby in 7mm Wtby Mag with Leopold Vari X III. As stated not a tack driver but I had no problems with it. I gave it to my son-in-law and it has been his deer rifle for a long time and shows outer wear, that bright Weatherby bluing now long dulled. He has taken a number of deer with it, and some nearing 200 yards. Except for the pricey ammunition it performs well. I do still load for it to give some trigger time without the $3.50 a shot.
Not hard to load for and a host of fine 7mm bullets on the market now. His attitude is like many, a rifle is a rifle and as long as it performs, out to the woods it will go.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #322555 - 18/12/18 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well said!!

Many feel that the flash of a Weatherby is a bit over the top, and many others are envious because the price point is a bit out of reach for the unwashed masses. I was sometimes a bit self conscious about that going to the hunt camp. An analogy: Many buy fast cars to “look” fast. Others buy them to “be” fast. The first group often are afraid of the recoil and can’t hit the side of a barn, but they look good doing it!!! I fall into the second camp and always saw the many merits of the Weatherbys, never mind what others felt about them. The Weatherbys should be weighed on technical mert. Nothing less and nothing more.

Agree for the most part..have owned close to 10 ..now own 1..synthetic lightweight model chambered in 240 Weatherby that my wife uses..I own 2 rifles chambered in .257Weaterby,built on Rem stainless actions, Hart barrels, McMillan and HS stocks.. jewell triggers..shoot 1/4" groups all day long..NO Weatherby I have ever ownEd was what I would call a shooter..

Have a friend who was a Weatherby dealer for 50+ years..several years ago, maybe 15 or so, whenever they started coming out with the lightweight versions, he let me try to find a shooter out of his new inventory..I tried 5..none were a "shooter"..most would not make the 1 1/2 guarantee with factory ammo..so, I built 2 on Rem actions..they are shooters..also the workmanship back then sucked..not sure what it is today as I am not interested in them so have not taken the time to look.

Was a day when Weatherby was a bit of a status symbol..not so anymore..You can now pick up a Vanguard for less than $700..so there goes the status symbol if you are into that kind of thing..

As stated in this blog, you can get a rifle from almost any manufacturer that will shoot as good or better for considerably less money.. plus there are many mainstream rifles now that are the same price or more expensive than the Weatherby, only difference is, they actually shoot..

The 9 lug action in my experience is an issue--you have to get 9 lugs to lock up ..the ones I had checked never had all 9 locked up together..in fact the last one I checked had 2 1/2 that were locking together..the others were in never, never land..

Another reason they drew a lot of neg. publicity is when they come out initially with the high velocity calibers, bullets were not holding up to those velocities.. I have never talked to a PH in Africa that liked a Weatherby..usually the answer is they are too fast and too much recoil..ie; clients cant shoot them and bullets are not holding up..think that problem is fixed with Swift and Barnes bullets as to bullets holding up..

Have never had an issue with the stock design, actually fit me well..and felt good shooting them..but yes, as stated, they did crack a lot from recoil...

Of all the Weatherby calibers, my personal favorits are .257, 240 and 300...but, many other cartridges offer similar or better ballistics in a better rifle and better case design..with the possible exception of the .257..not aware of any commercially loaded that are faster in the quarter bore arena..

THEY need to revamp their product..maybe moving their factory from Kalifornia to Wyoming, they will take the opportunity to retool and take advantage of the move..

Edited by Ripp (18/12/18 02:48 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: weatherby [Re: Ripp]
      #322564 - 18/12/18 06:08 AM

I have a Vanguard .243 which is OK, about like any "less expensive" rifle, but it does have a slick action.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Postman
.375 member

Re: weatherby [Re: DarylS]
      #322569 - 18/12/18 06:42 AM

I think the Vanguards are actually Howa 1500 actions. That action has generated some very positive press over the years. It is a low cost reliable and functional action.

Weatherby is adept in the white labelling game. They own the MKV design and then others have historcially done the build under contract. I have a lovely newer MK XXII. It has lovely lumber and follows the Weatherby style reasonably closley, and uses an Anshutz 64 barreled action rebranded as a Weatherby. It is quite a pleasure to shoot and is one of the most accurate .22s I have ever fired, but it’s not really a Weatherby other than in name.

Roy was a spectacular and shameless marketer, and the company continues with his legacy in that regard. Correct me if I’m wrong but Roy was smart enough to hire a really good mechanical engineer to design his MK V action which he then flogged far and wide as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have only one MK V now, an Ultramark in .257 that has exceptional lumber. It shoots maybe 1.5 MoA, but it sure is pretty, ergo I can’t bring myself to part with it in spite of the ho hum accuracy.

Edited by Postman (19/12/18 11:03 PM)

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #322575 - 18/12/18 11:50 AM

I have never had a Weatherby hurt me and I've shot a .460 a number of times.

They don't kick me in the face and don't appear to kick savagely ………… though I did shoot a .416 Rem Mag built on one (action and stock) and thought it was a sharp kicker.

Ammunition for the exclusively weatherby/norma cartridges are expensive......but Remington helps make the .300 Wby cheaper to shoot due to making cases for them.

Weatherbys are heavy.

My .300 Wby (not a Weatherby rifle) kills like the hammer of Thor if I do my part.

A mate loves his .224, .240 and .300 Wby (now gone) and I've known fellas who loved their .257 & .270 Weatherbys.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #322578 - 18/12/18 06:29 PM

Postman you are correct about the Howa action which in itself was a SAKO action most Gun writers criticized heavily. Howa bought the action and made some minor modifications. Top rifle now.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: weatherby [Re: Rule303]
      #322604 - 19/12/18 12:30 PM

HaHaHa!!

Good stuff here!

We bumped into the Howa action a while back.....with the AWESOME 2-stage trigger.

Now my boys and me have .270, .30-06 and 6.5x55 in the Howa and elk and deer are shaking in their boots!

Actually, not, as they are immovable in the freezer.

A friend is a custom long-range rifle builder and they use mostly Howa actions.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Postman
.375 member

Re: weatherby [Re: 9.3x57]
      #322618 - 19/12/18 11:13 PM

The Weatherby recoil is rather sharp from my perspective. It’s not really much more heavy in foot pounds than a comparable bore/bullet weight, but the recoil velocity is very fast. This really became apparent to me shooting the .257 Wby. The crack of the muzzle blast is VERY sharp and the rifle hits back very sharp/fast and seems to catch me by suprise every time, but you realize when the smoke clears that it didn’t rock you back on your feet or subject you to other physical unpleasantness that say a .500NE might subject you to...... Once you get yourself beyond the surprise of the sharp crack of the muzzle blast and fast speed of recoil, they’re really not so brutal. After all, a 100 grain quater bore bullet simply does not have the mass to generate any appreciable shove back into a shooter’s shoulder.

Edited by Postman (19/12/18 11:14 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#322619 - 20/12/18 12:03 AM

Quote:

The Weatherby recoil is rather sharp from my perspective. It’s not really much more heavy in foot pounds than a comparable bore/bullet weight, but the recoil velocity is very fast. This really became apparent to me shooting the .257 Wby. The crack of the muzzle blast is VERY sharp and the rifle hits back very sharp/fast and seems to catch me by suprise every time, but you realize when the smoke clears that it didn’t rock you back on your feet or subject you to other physical unpleasantness that say a .500NE might subject you to...... Once you get yourself beyond the surprise of the sharp crack of the muzzle blast and fast speed of recoil, they’re really not so brutal. After all, a 100 grain quater bore bullet simply does not have the mass to generate any appreciable shove back into a shooter’s shoulder.

Agree the .257 IS a bit sharp...will never forget being at the gun range once and shooting one of my 257W-- a buddy was shooing on the next bench beside me..just as I shot he had dropped something and reached to pick it up..the muzzle blast off of my rifle nearly blew his cap off his head...never forget the look in his eyes... ... have to say though, the 257W is hell on wheels for deer size game and smaller..reaching out there a reasonably long ways for shooting at game without really having to dial up anything... doesn't have the bc or sd of the 6.5's --but man is it fast..AND, out to about 500 yards--none of that really matters that much..IMHO

Have also shots many of the other W calibers including the 340, 375, and 460...the hardest kicking on I found was the .375W without a muzzle break--definitely got my attention..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: weatherby [Re: Ripp]
      #322642 - 20/12/18 02:50 PM

I think Roy Weatherby was catering for a certain market, like people who wanted the most and didn't really care about the cost etc, like buying a Pontiac Trans Am ,Corvette etc ,back then when it was ''in'' and fashionable to go on an African Safari, a lot of people who weren't really hunters perse, wanted to jump on the band wagon, and hence for that reason I suppose, a lot of hunters thought they were for wankers and show offs . A bit like today where people who were never into bikes suddenly want a Harley[and then fall off] or who were never mountain climbers, want to climb Mt Everest[and fall off] .I have always liked the German ones,which I think were the best . I suppose they have lost some of their appeal being more affordable ,like Harley making cheaper bikes ,not such a big deal anymore and novelty having worn off .I don't think there is any point looking for more powerful rounds that the Weatherby Magnums ,I think that's the practical peak for magnums.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: weatherby [Re: 500Boswell]
      #322653 - 21/12/18 01:04 AM

Quote:

I think Roy Weatherby was catering for a certain market, like people who wanted the most and didn't really care about the cost etc, like buying a Pontiac Trans Am ,Corvette etc ,back then when it was ''in'' and fashionable to go on an African Safari, a lot of people who weren't really hunters perse, wanted to jump on the band wagon, and hence for that reason I suppose, a lot of hunters thought they were for wankers and show offs . A bit like today where people who were never into bikes suddenly want a Harley[and then fall off] or who were never mountain climbers, want to climb Mt Everest[and fall off] .I have always liked the German ones,which I think were the best . I suppose they have lost some of their appeal being more affordable ,like Harley making cheaper bikes ,not such a big deal anymore and novelty having worn off .I don't think there is any point looking for more powerful rounds that the Weatherby Magnums ,I think that's the practical peak for magnums.

Agree, it was in vogue back in the 60's --70's, to be an adventurist, hunter, etc...look at all the Hollywood types having their pic taken with Roy holding a Weatherby rifle.. he was truly a genius in marketing.. and yes, they are very fast powerful cartridges.. for me, I like the design of the RUM's vs the Weatherby's... no belt (as Daryl constantly states ) ---have had zero issues , barrels durability have been a none issue..replaced one on my 300RUM last year..that per the bore scope really didn't need to be--but I wanted it to be a bit lighter so put a fluted barrel on .. think as long as one uses them in a prudent manner, barrels on most of these will last my lifetime as well as my son's as far as a big game hunting rifle..and anything I pull the trigger on drops like they fell from the sky.. what's not to like.. They do have a bit of recoil, you just have to not be such a pussy and deal with it..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (21/12/18 01:29 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3253

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com