Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: the worlds best rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tom30887
.275 member

Reged: 01/07/12
Loc: QLD
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: chucknelson]
      #214736 - 16/08/12 12:57 PM

This thread might as well be 'do you have a favorite child?'

Lol it's impossible to pick one.

But for my big bore I love my ruger safari magnum in 458 Lott. It's been restocked with a nice piece of walnut and has some minor engraving but not to much. I left it open sight.

My smaller bore favorite and also the cheapest gun I own. Is my weatherby vanguard blued synthetic in 257wby mag. Has a Leupold vx2 4-12x40. And I shoot 80grn tipped triple shocks. it's cheap and I dont care for it as much so I seem too have it in my hands out bush as I don't mind if it gets marked. It kills like nothing else and is flat as a 10 year old girl.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Tom30887]
      #214770 - 16/08/12 06:12 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I recently purchease a new Kimber 84L Montana in .25-06 and let me say, for a Yuppy factory rifle, it's pretty bloody good!
It's as ugly as a Pug Dog but it's a very nicely made, practical and lite huntin rifle!
I have fitted Talley bases and QD rings on it, and I'm thinking of a Zeiss 3-9 or 3.5 -10 with the Rapid Z 600 reticle.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Homer]
      #214783 - 16/08/12 10:25 PM

Heym 9.3x74R double with a QD Swarovski 1.2x4 30mm.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: bonanza]
      #214858 - 18/08/12 01:03 AM

Here is another rifle that would be a winner.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=2131

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

panther
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: british columbia, canada
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #215232 - 22/08/12 01:56 PM

mehulkamdar wrote:

"Could be any of the following:

1. The one you shoot best with
2. The one gifted to you by someone you love - your father or wife
3. The one you admire and want to have but cannot afford (kind of like wanting a supermodel or actress as a mistress)

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA. I don't have it with me, but it is a reminder of my boyhood and a fantastic one at that. I don't think there is a better rifle in the world!
Cheers."

Hi,
And may I ask Mr. Mehul Kamdar what specie exactly were you 'hunting' with .22 LR in India???
As far as I know the legal hunting of all wildlife was prohibited by law under Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 with several amendemnts & different level of penalties. Virtually all Wildlife is protected under this act -Schedule 1 to 4- exceptions -Schedule 5- are Crows & Rats which are considered vernins.
There are some other exceptions provided within law such as for protection of human life & in certain rare cases for standing crops. I have experience with both the exceptions provided by law.
In year 1986 I was permited -The Chief Wildlife Warden being an acquintance- to hunt down a menacing cattlelifter in Kangra Region of Himachal Pradesh (Lower Himalayan reaches), my first posting as a young lieutenant. Almost 2 months elapsed by the time I made preperations & got all the info from the locals -being an outsider I was not completely fimiliar with the area. Meanwhile the leopard was not sitting idle he graduated from a petty cattlelifter to a confirmed man-killer (not maneater, he never ate the human victim) by attacking a small herd boy attending his mixed herd of sheep & goats. The end came one evening when I shot him dead on the outskirts of a small village where he was lingering looking for an easy food. Later we found he was in good health, the only explanation I could think of was scarcity of wild game. Weapon used was a Rem model 1917 in 3006, firring a Win Silvertip 180 gr Rn.
Another man-killer/cattle lifter leopard was killed by me in 1988 near our family farm in Dehradun region of Shivalik Ranges (again, lower Himalayas). Incidentlly, it's the place is not far from where F W Champion (Indain Forest Service) did most of his photography & documented it in his books: (1) With a Camera in Tiger Land & (2) The Jungle in Sunlight & Shadow. He has already killed 3 people on different occassions who were protecting their herds, one being our farmhand & another a nomad buffalo herder known to our family for many years. I was given permission by the Chief Wildlife Warden of our area to shoot the animal. This particular Leopard was known to me by it's footprints, he has been in the area for several years. After several attempts I shot him over his kill one night, with the same rifle & same ammo.
Another incidence which ended in a disaster for me being penalized for shooting a rouge elephant. This elephant was a known crop raider and has chased the buffalo herders & crop watchmen from their posts many a times and has been reported to kill (unconfirmed) several people -across the river in another forest range- pulling them from the trees or platforms. But due to some foolish religious sentiments local authorities were reluctant to declare it a rouge.
Year & year again it has raided & destroyed our paddy sugar cane crops and uprooted fruit trees, he was getting bolder with with every year attacking & chasing the night watchmen from there watch towers (raised platform). One late evening a farmhand came running shouting hysterically that the elephant has attacked one of the watch platforms and that the watchman was still on that platform when this guy got a chance to wade through the crop. I immediately took my Sako 375 H&H and followed him to the scene of action. He was not quiet I could hear him from quite far, while he was engrosed in depreditions demolishing the platform I got a chance to go around him took a position behind a large mango tree & fired on his temple, I emptied the magazine in quick succession with 2 hitting his head one neck & 2 other behind shoulder. We found him dead next morning less than 1km inside the forest. The authorities were informed & I was charged for illegally shooting a schedule 1 animal, after a long battle with the forest dept. on my lawyers advice I paid the fine, which was 400,000 ruppes in those days, just to get rid of the stress the litigation was giving me. It also spoiled my service record. Later I was told by one of the forest rangers that the case & charges was meditated by the local deputy conservative of forest because he carried a grudge against me for repeatedly expelling his illegal contractors from the adjoining reserve forest who were extracting some rare wood & were poaching wild boar by killing them with a ball of potash mixed with corn flour and instigated by a former police officer of a high rank who had a long standing land dispute with our family, his son was the public prosecutor in my case.
The reason I mentioned above incidence is though the hunting is completely banned since 1972 still poaching is rampant & is being carried out with impunity and india is losing it's wildlife with exorbitant rate.
So, if you were 'hunting' in india with a 22LR after 1973 most likely you were poaching wildlife and it's good you never get caught.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: panther]
      #215246 - 23/08/12 12:45 AM

Isn't it wonderful how a two bit anonymous (edited) suddenly turns up on a forum and offers a sermon on hunting and poaching? Turns out the (edited) can't read and comprehend information either as my post has damn all to do with his bragging or his rant.

I guess that's what forums are about. Two bit wannabes out to talk big. Keep going on, (edited). (edited) like you are a dime a million. ROTFLMAO!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 04:24 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #215251 - 23/08/12 12:59 AM

My how we're having a lot of weather today, guys.

I agree that a special .22 might be a 'best rifle', if it has the gifted or presented traits.

Of course, the 'best' rifle might change as we age and obtain other experiences - I've had a lot of World's 'best rifles', from an early .22 Ace single shot given to me by my uncle an RCMP Cpl. at the time when I was 12 yrs. old, to my later 6.5 Mag, to a .257 Roberts IMP, and my all time favourite a .458 2" Mauser. Well, water under the bridge - that changed to a .375 Big Bore M94, then a .375/06iMP, a 9.3x62, then another .376/06IMp and now a 9.3x57. Still have many of the others, just not favourites or bests any more.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #215253 - 23/08/12 01:25 AM

Moe a small time (edited) out to have a go, Daryl. This (edited) has no idea who I am and he comes up with the conclusion that I was a poacher who was lucky not to get caught. Must get tough working at an hourly job, I guess, since he also waxes orgasmic over a bloody Sako of all things . . .

Oh well, that's life, and that's what small minded forum commandos are, I guess . . .

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 04:25 PM)

panther
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: british columbia, canada
      #215255 - 23/08/12 02:55 AM

mehulkamdar wrote:
1) "Isn't it wonderful how a two bit anonymous (edited) suddenly turns up on a forum and offers a sermon on hunting and poaching? Turns out the (edited) can't read and comprehend information either as my post has damn all to do with his bragging or his rant.
I guess that's what forums are about. Two bit wannabes out to talk big. Keep going on, (edited). (edited) like you are a dime a million. ROTFLMAO!"
2) "Moe a small time (edited) out to have a go, Daryl. This (edited) has no idea who I am and he comes up with the conclusion that I was a poacher who was lucky not to get caught. Must get tough working at an hourly job, I guess, since he also waxes orgasmic over a bloody Sako of all things . . .
Oh well, that's life, and that's what small minded forum commandos are, I guess . ."

Hi,
Your frustration & foul language is giving me a fine idea who you are, what's your background & what opinion you hold about others. Truth is bitter to swallow, isn't Mr. Kamdar??
You can write a whole lot of things on the internet but when it comes to experience you have to go through lot of practicles.
You haven't answered the question yet. What species exactly were you hunting with your .22 LR in India???

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 04:23 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#215263 - 23/08/12 05:49 AM

Actually, (edited), you brought the poaching issue up. No, I did not hunt any animals with my rifle. I kept it to stop people like (edited) from raping children. Now, will you tell me why they did this?

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 04:18 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #215265 - 23/08/12 06:26 AM

Dear Mehul,

Quote:

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago.

I've been thinking of building such a rifle from scratch. Would you be so kind as to post photos of the action?

Thanks, Tom

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Tatume]
      #215266 - 23/08/12 06:41 AM

I think we can do without the accusations and name calling can't we ?.

Take it to PM or leave it alone please.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Tatume]
      #215267 - 23/08/12 06:43 AM

Tatume,

The rifle is in India. I'll get you pics from there.

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: FATBOY404]
      #215268 - 23/08/12 06:44 AM

FATBOY404,

Happy to. Shouldn't this be directed first at the anonymous (edited) who accused me of poaching?

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 04:17 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: FATBOY404]
      #215300 - 23/08/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

I think we can do without the accusations and name calling can't we ?.

Take it to PM or leave it alone please.

Yes please cut out the name calling. It doesn't impress anyone.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#215302 - 23/08/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

mehulkamdar wrote:

"Could be any of the following:

1. The one you shoot best with
2. The one gifted to you by someone you love - your father or wife
3. The one you admire and want to have but cannot afford (kind of like wanting a supermodel or actress as a mistress)

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA. I don't have it with me, but it is a reminder of my boyhood and a fantastic one at that. I don't think there is a better rifle in the world!
Cheers."

Hi,
And may I ask Mr. Mehul Kamdar what specie exactly were you 'hunting' with .22 LR in India???
As far as I know the legal hunting of all wildlife was prohibited by law under Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 with several amendemnts & different level of penalties. Virtually all Wildlife is protected under this act -Schedule 1 to 4- exceptions -Schedule 5- are Crows & Rats which are considered vernins.
There are some other exceptions provided within law such as for protection of human life & in certain rare cases for standing crops. I have experience with both the exceptions provided by law.

The reason I mentioned above incidence is though the hunting is completely banned since 1972 still poaching is rampant & is being carried out with impunity and india is losing it's wildlife with exorbitant rate.
So, if you were 'hunting' in india with a 22LR after 1973 most likely you were poaching wildlife and it's good you never get caught.

Firstly most of this attack seems off topic to the thread subject.

that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA.

Secondly Panther I read his comments as saying the rifle belonged to a "hunting buddy". Where does it say Mehul hunted with the rifle himself? And only owned the rifle just before leaving himself.

Mehul needs to cut out the name calling.

Thirdly your claims above are somewhat incorrect. There is limited forms of hunting in India. Wild boar being one species. Nilgai has had some hunting sometimes before the "anti cow hunting nutjobs" stopped it because its name translates Blue Bull and the "animal worshippers" think it might be holy. Other species too.

Fourthly, regarding poaching in India. I make no comment on your claims and the individuals in this thread. But in a country which as you claim has banned almost all hunting, what real man, what real hunter wouldn't poach! I would without a doubt. If the laws of a country are so ridiculous and stupid, real people and free people ignore them. I'm not saying kill tigers for profit by selling their pizzles or whatever to dickless Chinese men. I'm saying who wouldn't go out and hunt a hare, or a peacock, or a duck for meat. Or a boar, or an antelope. Especially if they are numerous.

As youths I bet many of us on NE have gone out with an air rifle or .22 in any case, or some 'plinking' in the bush.

Hunting in India is actually rampant. I know of people who hunt there right now. I was invited to go waterfowling there. But don't fancy the risk of legal implications for a duck . But why shouldn't there be limited managed hunting? India could have a profitable safari industry like Tanzania. And profits spent wisely hire local people, hire anti poaching patrols etc, make the game valuable for local people so there is less poaching.

But we know someone somewhere probably worships that goose one is about to shoot as a revered ancestor or god or something ... so it is impossible ...

Some might say "the species are being exterminated!" Better to limit the unfettered population growth and massive encroachment of the few remaining natural areas left in India.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (23/08/12 10:02 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: 303]
      #215303 - 23/08/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

what is the best all round rifle in the world that wont cost an arm and a leg this includes caliber and make of rifle

A post on the topic!

Reading the comments rather than the title.

Best all round rifle in the world.

Key points -> all round - various forms of hunting.
and -> in the world - handle hunting the world around.
and -> best - to me best does not mean expensive, it means best for the job.

The calibre has to handle the entire world species so only one, the .375. IMO the ammo needs to be widely available so it is the .375 H&H Magnum. I don't have much time for the latter pretenders anyway. Why not a 9.3mm? Because while good, they are not legal for DG in many African countries.

The make or rifle. I'm not going to name the make other than saying a Mauser 98 actioned rifle. Various makers, of the past and present. Available second hand, custom, etc.

One can hunt elephant with a .375. One can hunt a deer, or a pig. It has a similar trajectory to a .30-06 so with the right bullets one could even use it in the mountains for medium range shots. As one can do on African plains as well. About the only limitation is small game such as rabbits, hares, etc

Myself I think there is NO all round calibre. One needs at least a small game rifle as well, though a shotgun will do that.

My .375 H&H Magnum is a M98 Whitworth rifle bought second hand.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #215335 - 24/08/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As youths I bet many of us on NE have gone out with an air rifle or .22 in any case, or some 'plinking' in the bush.

Guilty as charged but happy with the memories, best, Mike

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: the worlds best rifle [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #215426 - 25/08/12 05:33 AM

I think Mehul's original reply (before the minor skirmish!) is the best yet in terms of a lover of rifles, all things considered.

In terms of a cold, analytical response I'd say the .375 H&H is about as good as it gets for cartridges. An early G&H or Hoffman on an original mag mauser action, or an early model 70 would get my vote for the rifle. With that cartridge and rifle you can kill just about anything that walks, you can find the ammo anywhere, and the cartridge itself is beautiful to behold.

Of course it won't work for squirrels, etc. so you'll need a .22 I like the Mauser MM410B myself.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28537

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com