Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions about Zastava Mauser M70...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Questions about Zastava Mauser M70...
      #321683 - 20/11/18 02:29 AM

OK, so I bought one to mess with. Primarily because it is a 98 action in South Paw configuration. Got it in 9.3x62.

This is a very crudely made gun. I can comment later on the other details but one has me scratching my head a bit.

It is the rear receiver ring thickness under the scope base screw holes. The receiver here is very thin. I had a set of bases/screws from an FN Mauser that I put on the Zastava and the screws stuck out into the bolt raceway significantly enough to stop the bolt from being inserted. So I ground the screws down but...there isn't much purchase now on the rear receiver ring and the front isn't too impressive, either, tho I did not have to grind the screws down, there. Below are the dimensions. The scope lines up fine, so the front ring must be thin, too, or so it seems.

Anybody else noticed this?

Some of these guns are chambered in .458 Mag and I've never read of scope bases shearing off the action, but I guess I don't know why...the receiver is THIN.

Also, there was some small gap running along the middle of the rear base in line with the screw holes which I applied a very thin amount of PC7 epoxy to in mounting the screws. The contour of the Warne bases didn't quite mate perfectly. Since the receiver looked to have been leaned on pretty hard during the polishing stage, maybe that was it. One screw hole was washed out pretty noticeably.

Anyhow, comments/observations?

Here are some pics:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Questions about Zastava Mauser M70... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #321971 - 29/11/18 12:50 AM

I have three of these, a 6.5x55, a stock 9.3x62 and a full custom by Dennis Olson in 9.3x62.

All have been very accurate rifles with triggers easy to adjust.

I used Talley and older Warne Premier bases and rings and had no issues mounting the scopes.

I wish they spent a little more time on their stocks but LH Mausers aren't exactly falling off the trees these days for what these cost. The 6.5x55 has the hogsback stock which I much prefer.

In factory form I consider them a good utility rifle and I would buy another one in a different caliber if I felt the need.

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Questions about Zastava Mauser M70... [Re: 470evans]
      #321981 - 29/11/18 03:49 AM

Solder, the proper method of attaching scope bases.

Vlad

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Questions about Zastava Mauser M70... [Re: Vladymere]
      #321992 - 29/11/18 08:11 AM

The mini Mauser lefty looks appealing for a couple of my kids.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Questions about Zastava Mauser M70... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #321998 - 29/11/18 05:26 PM

Not sure of the date of manufacture of yours. However there were problems with the zasty actions, particularly the magnum action. this is from about 3 or so years ago. On some the screw holes for the scope bases did not line up and or were not central. Also the radius of the top of the receiver was cock-eyed or off center. Looked like their milling machines were worn and things were not centering properly.

Apparently nothing that a good gunsmith with the right equipment could not fix, however this could end up with the top of the action a bit thinner if the radius had to be redone.

This may have extended to their standard actions but I don't know. A lot of Europeans I know glue the scope mounts as well as using the screws, never a problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com