Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buff kills man.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Buff kills man.
      #32076 - 26/05/05 03:31 PM

He's one for the folks who think Buff are not dangerous.

Buffalo kills man

May 26, 2005
A ROGUE buffalo had killed a man in the remote Northern Territory town of Nhulunbuy, police said today.

The body of the 46-year-old man was found in scrubland on the town's outskirts on Monday, Nhulunbuy police said today.

Rogue buffaloes have been running amok in the town in recent weeks, with one causing an bus accident which injured nine people in the town earlier this month.

Police and rangers have tried to hunt some of the more temperamental animals in scrub near the town's lagoon following a spate of incidents.

Nhulunbuy police officer in charge Tony Fuller said it appeared the dead man was killed by the beast about midday on Sunday.

"This is a tragic incident for the family but unfortunately occasionally incidents like these are bound to happen when we have a high concentration of people living in a remote area that is surrounded by natural dangers such as buffaloes, crocodiles, and the like," Senior Sergeant Fuller said.

"It is a risk that people acknowledge and one we try to limit and can not necessarily control as we enjoy our outdoor lifestyle.

"Buffaloes are not normally aggressive, and shy away from human contact, however if startled they can become aggressive and charge people."

The man's family reported him missing on Sunday afternoon, after he left his house at East Woody Community to check the water supply line to his house.

His family became concerned after his two dogs returned later without him, sparking a police search which was hampered by a bushfire and thick scrub.

The body was found on Monday, but had been burnt in the bushfire, hindering the police investigation, senior sgt Fuller said.

NT major crime and forensic police flew to Nhulunbuy to help with the investigation, he said.

Local Parks and Wildlife Officer Phil Wise warned the public to avoid walking at dusk and dawn in the bush, when buffaloes were most active.

"Buffaloes are unpredictable in nature," he said.

Other incidents involving BUFFALOES in recent weeks include a beast charging a number of people at East Woody community and forcing them to hide behind trees.

In April, two separate vehicles collided with buffaloes.

The last recorded fatal buffalo attack in Nhulunbuy was in April 1993.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Buff kills man. [Re: Marty]
      #32180 - 28/05/05 12:46 AM

Marty, you've reminded me of an incident years ago, while staying with ol'mate Bill Brown in Nhulunbuy. I was wandering back to his place after a stiff session at the Arnhem Club, and stepped squarely in a buffalo-turd right there on the footpath in the middle of town. It was still warm!

Armed only with an empty wallet and the makings of a decent hangover, I spent a lot of time looking over my shoulder as I completed the walk home! Not a nice feeling...

The guy who was killed in 1993 was walking home late after a night on the turps too, I believe. Interesting town!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Buff kills man. [Re: Marrakai]
      #32214 - 28/05/05 02:23 PM

How do they know a buffalo did it, if the area was completely burnt?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Re: Buff kills man. [Re: NitroX]
      #32215 - 28/05/05 02:35 PM

Well I guess he could have been trampled and gored by a 2000lb gin with club feet.....

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Buff kills man. [Re: Marty]
      #32218 - 28/05/05 03:33 PM

Thanks Marty.

I did not see anything about the 'evidence' of a buff killing the man, just that a buffalo killed the man. Then it also mentioned the body was found after a bushfire went through the area.

But if there were large hoof marks on the ground and other bodily damage I guess it is easy to see the cause.

Marrakai

Perhaps buffalo don't like drunk people!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1910

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com